SandCastle: missed the tapering boat

SandCastle

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @SandCastleThanks for posting.  Definitely, the second vaccine has set me back.  Mainly my sleep is very bad which has had a compounding effect on the rash.  I don't know if this is happening to others or not, or if it's related to Prozac more than Zoloft use in the past.  When things calm down--I'll update my Intro.  I hate to think of others going through this.  The return of early symptoms has been frightening, so I'm trying to recover and then have a more positive report.  I appreciate so much that people here know how difficult this process can be.

All my best to you, Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @SandCastle I just wondered how you are doing? Have your symptoms settled any? 💕

Mid-August 2020 - started 15mg Mirtazapine, increased to 30mg 2 weeks later. Late-September 2020 - switched to 20mg Paroxetine as Mirtazapine exacerbated RLS. October 2020 - stopped Paroxetine because of worsening RLS, muscle twitching and general restlessness.

Mid-October 2020 - Switched to 50mg Sertraline. Restlessness, muscle twitching and other symptoms even worse. Stopped taking it on 18 November following advice from GP - took every other day for a week before stopping completely. Mid-November 2020 - GP prescribed Propranolol to take as and when required for anxiety. Have only taken a few times as it makes me very light headed. January 2020 - currently taking magnesium citrate powder in evenings to help with RLS. Also taking high strength omega-3 fish oil. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness thank you for checking in. I keep trying to wait for things to get better to respond, but I’m still stuck in this rut. I have reverted back to a lot of physical symptoms like extensive lower back and hip pain, twitching (mostly in one eye), cramps, muscle movement sensations, feeling like my back isn’t aligned correctly, joint pain... plus my anxiety is through the roof. Having a rough time right now, especially being at the one year mark and believing that this would be the point where I’d notice more progress and healing. I don’t think there’s much I can do to make things better at this point, so I’m just biding my time and hoping there will be a turnaround soon.

400mg SAM-e from ~Feb 10, 2018 to somewhere around July, 2018
25 mg Sertraline from January 2020 to mid April 2020

Cold turkey mid April 2020

Re-instated 25 mg Sertraline from early May 2020 for next three weeks then cold turkey again.

Currently on no meds or supplements.

37 minutes ago, SandCastle said:

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness thank you for checking in. I keep trying to wait for things to get better to respond, but I’m still stuck in this rut. I have reverted back to a lot of physical symptoms like extensive lower back and hip pain, twitching (mostly in one eye), cramps, muscle movement sensations, feeling like my back isn’t aligned correctly, joint pain... plus my anxiety is through the roof. Having a rough time right now, especially being at the one year mark and believing that this would be the point where I’d notice more progress and healing. I don’t think there’s much I can do to make things better at this point, so I’m just biding my time and hoping there will be a turnaround soon.

So sorry to hear this. It sounds like you are going through such a difficult time right now. I can understand you thinking you would be feeling more progress at the one year mark. I feel like that with every month that passes - constantly find myself thinking maybe at 4, 5, 6 months I’ll feel better, or maybe by my daughter’s birthday or by Christmas. Like I’m wishing my life away! I can completely relate to the physical symptoms you are experiencing - muscle pain, twitching, cramps, weakness, not that it helps but sometimes it’s good to know you’re not alone. Sending healing vibes to you and here if you need to vent or chat. X 

Mid-August 2020 - started 15mg Mirtazapine, increased to 30mg 2 weeks later. Late-September 2020 - switched to 20mg Paroxetine as Mirtazapine exacerbated RLS. October 2020 - stopped Paroxetine because of worsening RLS, muscle twitching and general restlessness.

Mid-October 2020 - Switched to 50mg Sertraline. Restlessness, muscle twitching and other symptoms even worse. Stopped taking it on 18 November following advice from GP - took every other day for a week before stopping completely. Mid-November 2020 - GP prescribed Propranolol to take as and when required for anxiety. Have only taken a few times as it makes me very light headed. January 2020 - currently taking magnesium citrate powder in evenings to help with RLS. Also taking high strength omega-3 fish oil. 

Thanks so much for your support @HealthHopeHappiness. It really does help a lot to know that other people are having similar experiences, but I am hoping you see improvements! At this point, I’ve been through this long enough that I expect the renewed symptoms to eventually fade, but not knowing how long it will take is the hard part. Wondering if it will just be another week or so or a full 4 months before I get a break. I will update either way!

Re-instated 25 mg Sertraline from early May 2020 for next three weeks then cold turkey again.

Hello SandCastle. It is a journey for sure. You may find an SI belt to be very helpful with supporting your pelvis and low back while your body resets from the antidepressant. As you know, for me the Zoloft caused my ligaments to become laxed and easily stretched. Similar to when a woman is about to give berth and there is an increase in the relaxin hormone that causes the pelvis to relax. Make sure you are not doing much stretching while you are recovering so you don't cause any further stretching. You are most likely dealing with instability. Personally, I took some advice that was given to me on this site to slowly start taking a crumb (sublingually) of the vitamin b12 and let it slowly dissolve. I took this very slow because I had setbacks with b12 injections in the midst of withdrawal. Now I am up to two full injections each week. The reason I went this route was because I was continuing to deal with the pins and needles sensations in my feet, legs, hands, lips, and tongue brought on by the antidepressant. These symptoms are associated with pernicious anemia. As I look back on my journey, the light symptoms that led me to trying the Zoloft were being low on b12. I have also been focused on eating well. I have always done this but I was missing some key micronutrients and nutrition. Like they say..."A bad physician is one who treats symptoms without searching for the cause of those symptoms". It goes something like that. Hang in there it does get better. :) 

Zoloft 50-75MG. 2018-2019 (3 months 19 days).

Quit cold turkey.

@Furlow Yes, that is exactly how I would describe the feeling - as having an abundance of relaxin hormones! I’ve even wondered in the past if that could be the case since I had a baby about two months before starting Sertraline for the first time. Over time I figured out it was related to the Sertraline. It’s a pretty horrific feeling as it not only causes a lot of pain but also gives me this Gumby-like feeling like I’m just not held up securely when I first stand up and start walking.

That is most likely it. This is why good physicians tell women not to stretch when they are pregnant. This ligaments can easily be over stretched. The fix for this is doing all you can nutritionally to get your hormones where they need to be and then getting some prolotherapy treatments to regenerate (thicken/tighten) your ligaments. I recommend going to prolotherapynashville.com and watching some of the videos that detail out what I am referring to. They are very encouraging and informative. Dr. Johnson is one of the top physicians in the nation when it comes to this treatment. People (professional athletes as well) come in to see him from all over the United States and even from out of the country. This is why I recommend his videos. He knows what he's talking about. Also Dr. Ross Hauser of Caring Medical (Chicago/Florida) is another leading physician that has some good videos describing what we are dealing with and how to fix it. On a personal note...Dr. Johnson from Prolotherapy Nashville is my treating physician. He has helped me tremendously. I was a complete disaster before I saw him. I would be much further along today in my recovery, but my testosterone levels where in the tank from the Zoloft. Now through some diet changes I am pretty much ready to resume the treatments and will get much better results. One note...stay away from chiropractors...they will only exacerbate the instability. :) 

Zoloft 50-75MG. 2018-2019 (3 months 19 days).

Quit cold turkey.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi @SandCastle--How're doing? Did you get the second vaccine?  I send you best wishes and hopes that you're doing better.

Arbor

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Hi @arbor I did get the second vaccine and I do think it made things a lot worse. I had a full return of most pain in the center of my body - back, hip, stomach/upper abs/ribs. Many neurological symptoms from back in the beginning have returned, some that I had even forgotten about like this feeling of having frost bitten fingertips and tongue. I’ve had a rash on my face, cramping muscles, twitching, trouble falling back asleep if I wake up, awkward breathing patterns, headaches and fatigue. It’s been rough but I don’t regret getting it. If this is related to the vaccine, I can only imagine what getting the actual virus would do to me. Even small viruses like colds set me off, so this isn’t much of a surprise I guess. I’m biding my time now just waiting for this wave to end. The one thing I can say is that things don’t seem to last as long as they used to, so that’s keeping me going. Hope you’ve been doing better lately!

I’ve been wondering how you are doing @SandCastle. It sounds like things are really tough again for you, I can relate. I am pleased to hear the waves don’t last as long, that’s a positive to cling onto. Take care xx

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness I haven’t been doing myself any favors lately since I stopped eating healthy and exercising when I realized I was starting to have problems again. I just sort of let myself fall into an apathetic hole, and I’m sure that made things worse than they had to be. Today I started eating a little better and walked a mile this afternoon and I already feel a little better. Most of my symptoms have still been there today, but I’ve been able to focus on other things and that’s really helped. I’m glad I have the support here because it inspires me to push myself out of the “just give up” mentality. Hope you’re doing well.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @SandCastle--Dang, I'm sorry you also had problems with the second vaccine.   My rash has finally cleared, and I'm probably doing better, but the setback emotionally has taken longer.  More anxiety and depression.  I might take longer than others as I was on AD's for so long.  So don't let my wave be a bad omen.  That you feel like eating better and walking sounds really positive.  I hope your healing will just keep taking you right on out of this w/d business!

Hugs, Arbor

If these are of interest, I include them.  The first you may have to find by punching it in.

Coronavirus / covid19, and psychiatric drug tapering & withdrawal. Covid19vaccine.

Report Covid Vaccine Effects to RxISK

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @SandCastlehow have things been for you this last wee while? X 

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness I’m still doing pretty much the same…some things have gotten a little better, some a little worse. I’m hoping I can come back a month from now and say that everything has improved, but I think I thought that last month too. Guess I should lower my expectations for now!

• 3 weeks later...

How are things with you @SandCastle? Have you noticed any improvements lately? I really hope so xx 

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness My back and hip pain has really eased up in the last week and that’s a huge relief to me. The other symptoms are still holding strong but I do think I’ve plateaued because they don’t seem to be getting any worse. I am on the same page as you in not wanting to “jinx” it by acknowledging it! I saw that you’re doing somewhat better recently and that gives me more hope. I hope things keep improving for you!

1 hour ago, SandCastle said:

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness My back and hip pain has really eased up in the last week and that’s a huge relief to me. The other symptoms are still holding strong but I do think I’ve plateaued because they don’t seem to be getting any worse. I am on the same page as you in not wanting to “jinx” it by acknowledging it! I saw that you’re doing somewhat better recently and that gives me more hope. I hope things keep improving for you!

That sounds positive @SandCastle. I hope you are heading towards a lovely window. Keep in touch xx 

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to leave an update on how I’m doing. My back and hip pain is almost non-existent at this point, which is great. It’s been harsh and persistent since late April/early May. I’ve also been sleeping through the night pretty consistently, and if I do wake up, I can usually be back to sleep within 10 minutes, which is another plus. On the negative side, I’ve had increased muscle twitching all over, like an electric current running through me, itching, jaw clenching, throat tightness and heartburn. They come and go frequently so I’ll have a couple bad days then a couple good days and then back to bad again. Today is particularly bad, as I woke up with my jaw clenched so tightly I’m surprised I still have teeth, and all day long I’ve had to force myself to relax it. I’ve also had major pelvic pain and a burning, bruise-like feeling in random spots all over my body. I’m not sure if I’m still coming down from the vaccine effects or if I’ve been stressed more than normal or if something else is setting me off. I guess I have been drinking way too much cold brew coffee since it’s hot out, and I think it has more caffeine than regular coffee. I’m going to try to scale back on that and go for one cup of regular coffee per day to see if that makes a difference.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @SandCastle Glad to get your update.  

6 hours ago, SandCastle said:

My back and hip pain is almost non-existent at this point

What terrific 🎇 news!!

I’ve also been sleeping through the night pretty consistently, and if I do wake up, I can usually be back to sleep within 10 minutes,

Wonderful--must make such a difference.

I’m going to try to scale back on that and go for one cup of regular coffee

Yeah, coffee started giving me problems--darn (my favorite drug, for sure).

I hope the recent symptoms resolve soon.  Maybe the heat is contributing....

I'm so glad for the improvements🎈

Arbor

Thanks @arbor I woke up today without a clenched jaw so I’ll take that as a positive. I’m still having symptoms, but they didn’t start until I got to work, so maybe it has something to do with that. I guess I’ll find out over the weekend! And yes, coffee is my favorite too, so I’m already disappointed about having to reduce that again…

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear the clenching was better @SandCastle.  I find I'm just insanely tuned into things like work stress.  The part of my brain that can keep everything in perspective is simply MIA.  While in w/d we need special goggles that would screen out any, any sign of possible threat.  Friends--when they're not out having happy, productive, responsible lives in the w/d-free world--send me videos of kittens, puppies, and birdbaths.

Remember though, you were on low sertraline a short time.  Your recovery is coming...☘️🎈🎉

Arbor

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to document here that I’m going through a terrible wave right now. I’m having lots of muscle twitching all over and all day long, headaches off and on, sleeping problems (thankfully the last two nights have been better), extreme ear itching and heart palpitations. I also have weakness that moves throughout my body, like it will be in my legs one day then in my shoulders the next three days then in my face. I looked back at some of my previous symptoms and the throat tightening and heartburn have really improved, so that’s good. My hip and back pain are still doing a lot better as well. I’m happy for the improvements but discouraged over all the other issues, especially since in the next 2 months I’ll be 1.5 years out from CT’ing.

Hi @Tinnitus I’m not sure what the red dots were, but they did disappear a couple weeks after I stopped taking Sertraline. Even though they went away, I still went through with my hematologist apt, and I told him that I had quit antidepressants, but he didn’t comment on if he thought that’s what caused it. After my apt, when everything checked out ok, I started back on the Sertraline again and had an immediate outbreak of red dots and bruises, so I had no doubt that’s what was causing it.

4 hours ago, SandCastle said:

I just wanted to document here that I’m going through a terrible wave right now. I’m having lots of muscle twitching all over and all day long, headaches off and on, sleeping problems (thankfully the last two nights have been better), extreme ear itching and heart palpitations. I also have weakness that moves throughout my body, like it will be in my legs one day then in my shoulders the next three days then in my face. I looked back at some of my previous symptoms and the throat tightening and heartburn have really improved, so that’s good. My hip and back pain are still doing a lot better as well. I’m happy for the improvements but discouraged over all the other issues, especially since in the next 2 months I’ll be 1.5 years out from CT’ing.

I’m so sorry to read this @SandCastle. It really is relentless and incredibly unfair. I’m glad to hear there are some improvements with your other symptoms. Hopefully in the not too distant future you will look back and realise the current symptoms you have are easing too. Do you find anything helps ease your symptoms at all? 💕

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear @SandCastle--I never knew what patience could actually mean until tested with w/d.  Patience. 🙁 And then more patience. 😞 Your recovery though will eventually happen.  Good news about your back and hips.  Are you taking omega-3's?  

Glad to hear from you,

Arbor

Thanks @HealthHopeHappiness and @arborit is encouraging to think one day this will all be in the past. I haven’t tried any supplements since I’m nervous that something could make things worse, but I am considering starting magnesium. I will let you know if that changes anything or if I’m daring enough to try anything else.

I updated my signature to include the SAM-e I took for around 5 months in 2018. I used to wonder if the numbing sensations in my body and buzzing in my head could really be attributed to quitting Sertraline since I had it briefly before in late 2018. Now I realize that started not long after I stopped taking SAM-e regularly. It’s just an OTC supplement so I didn’t really think about it, but now I’ve seen some stories on here of people having trouble with it. I also had terrible neck, jaw and rib pain for months afterward. I now wonder if my body or immune system or something  remembered that as a bad experience and that’s why I had an immediate reaction to the Sertraline.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @SandCastlethats interesting about the SAM-e supplement, I’ve never heard of it before. 

How have things been for you recently? Have you noticed any improvements with any of your symptoms? 💕

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness I have had a pretty decent 5 or 6 days over the past week, thanks for asking! I haven’t gone a full 24 hours without symptoms, but they’ve been limited to several small blocks throughout the day. It’s mostly twitching, sudden small pains, heart palpitations and some stomach issues. I’ve been lucky that I haven’t had the usual localized muscle weakness or muscles pulling on their own for almost a week. However, I did wake up today with a full return of all day twitching, so that has been disappointing, but that might be due to the glass of wine I had with dinner last night. I don’t remember alcohol enhancing any of my problems in the past, but I’m going to try going a few weeks without it to see if things stay better…

• Moderator Emeritus

This sounds positive, @SandCastle🙂  I'm so glad to hear that there've been improvements--a sign of more to come....

Thinking of you💜

Arbor

Thanks @arbor, appreciate the support!

On 10/14/2021 at 7:47 PM, SandCastle said:

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness I have had a pretty decent 5 or 6 days over the past week, thanks for asking! I haven’t gone a full 24 hours without symptoms, but they’ve been limited to several small blocks throughout the day. It’s mostly twitching, sudden small pains, heart palpitations and some stomach issues. I’ve been lucky that I haven’t had the usual localized muscle weakness or muscles pulling on their own for almost a week. However, I did wake up today with a full return of all day twitching, so that has been disappointing, but that might be due to the glass of wine I had with dinner last night. I don’t remember alcohol enhancing any of my problems in the past, but I’m going to try going a few weeks without it to see if things stay better…

Glad to hear you’ve had some respite from your symptoms @SandCastle. Sorry your twitching returned though, so frustrating. I so miss being able to share a bottle of wine with my husband, alcohol definitely intensifies my symptoms. It’s good you haven’t had an issue with alcohol, but will be interesting to see if avoiding it improves your symptoms. Keep us posted! Will be thinking about you this week. 💕

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @SandCastlehow are you doing? Hope you have seen some improvements recently. 💕

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness I have seen improvements in some areas but I just keep going through waves. I’ve had a few dizzy spells and my back and hip pain has returned, but I am seeing less twitching most days (some days are still bad). I’m grateful for the windows…just wish they were longer and more frequent! How have you been?

14 hours ago, SandCastle said:

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness I have seen improvements in some areas but I just keep going through waves. I’ve had a few dizzy spells and my back and hip pain has returned, but I am seeing less twitching most days (some days are still bad). I’m grateful for the windows…just wish they were longer and more frequent! How have you been?

Really glad you have seen some positive changes. I remain hopeful for you that your windows will become longer and that your current symptoms will gradually subside. It’s hard having to deal with the high of having a window and feeling as though you’re turning a corner, and then the low of realising another wave is coming. 

Next year marks 1 year since I took my last tablet and I am still very much dealing with the same issues with my muscles. Some days I can manage and rationalise it all a lot better than others, so that’s something. 💕