SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Antihistamines for withdrawal insomnia (diphenhydramine, doxylamine, hydroxyzine)

Altostrata

• Administrator

See also:

allergies-sneezing-stuffed-up-nose-sinus-antihistamines-and-what-to-use-for-allergy-relief

For withdrawal insomnia, people often use Benadryl, a sedating antihistamine, to help sleep.

It's often an ingredient in nonprescription sleep aids, such as Nytol, Unisom, Tylenol PM, Excedrin PM, Midol PM and Advil PM.

Info about Diphenhydramine

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000704/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphenhydramine

The problem with is diphenhydramine is its beneficial sleep effect can wear off and it can go paradoxical -- it will keep you awake instead. So use it sparingly if you can.

Edited by ChessieCat
added cross reference link

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Alto this is Hang Over time for me when I take antihistamines. Yes they do work, but they do not agree with me at all.

Not an option. I tried Calms Forte, but it didn't work. Propanol helps, but it can bring on depression.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Administrator

Good point, Nikki. Diphenhydramine can have a hangover.

Have you tried cutting a Tylenol PM tablet in half or quarters?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

The SSRIs evolved from antihistamines.

• 2 months later...

I've been resorting to diphenhydramine and also doxylamine succinate on occasion. I lik the doxylamine more. But I try to take it very sparingly. It also makes me groggy the next morning.

With diphenhydramine, my AM anxiety has sometimes gotten worse, and also my alerting system has sometimes reacted against it (as if I was trying to drug it and it was trying to fight back, which I guess is the case!), making me feel dread as I was falling asleep. I find it works OK if I'm not overly anxious to begin with. I've never taken it more than one day in a row, so I don't know about it wearing off.

That is very interesting that SSRIs were derived from antihistamines.

I have a feeling it would be best not to resort to these at all, but I sometimes give in after several nights of really bad sleep.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

OK, so I paid dearly for taking the diphenhydramine... two nights of totally fractured, restless sleep. Gonna stay away from it.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• Administrator

Yep, diphenhydramine for sleep often goes paradoxical.

I wish I could take Diphenhydramine. I take it and within 35 minutes I just want to crawl out of my skin. I took just 3/4's a tsp of kids Benydrel and it kept me up for about a hour or so. I was taking it for an itchy rash I got on my arm. I had to just sleep with ice packs on my arms and put anti itching lotion on my arms. When I was first WD I could handle taking a Benydrel here or there, but not any more. Hopefully this will correct itself since I get seasonal allergies and I use it to sleep when I have really bad attacks.

Prozac(situational depression) 1993 discontinued sometime in 1994 without WD problems

Paxil from 2003 until 2004 for anxiety/panic attacks

25mg of Zoloft from March 2012. started tappering in April and took my last one on May 13, 2012

BRapsidy, I get itchy rashes too. (Very allergy-prone all my life, and the rashes/hives/itching got much worse for me in w/d.)

Although I'd taken antihistamines (including antivert for vertigo, which is an antihistamine for vertigo, a lifelong problem for me also) most of my life, I found I could no longer tolerate them orally at least, in w/d. Also had to stop using the cortisone spray (Rhinocort Aqua) I'd been using for severe seasonal respiratory allergies.

I found a couple of other options very helpful.

For itchy skin/rashes/hives, I now use an herbal cream called Florasone cream. (The name is misleading - it contains NO cortisone or anything cortisone-related. The name is a play on words since it's an herbal alternative to cortisone creams.) It's available in health food stores, but I use so much of it (for myself and for allergic family) that I find it's more economical to stock up online, usually from Swanson's when ordering other things anyway (they have flat-rate shipping). But you might want to try one tube purchased locally first to see if you like it.

The packaging calls it homeopathic, but it's really a 10% herbal (cardiospermum) tincture in a bland vegetable base, not what we normally think of as a homeopathic dilution by any means. My family and I find it amazingly effective, and you only need to put on a very thin layer to get results.

I now only seem to get bad respiratory allergies at the beginning of the year but that can go on for months (something that grows near me seasonally, obviously). I find NeilMed nasal rinse helps a LOT. Frankly, I'll never really like feeling all that water going through my sinuses, but the relief after using it makes it worth it!

NeilMed has a lot of products, but I use the original nasal rinse where you mix the packet (natural non-irritating saline ingredient) with distilled (or reverse osmosis) (NOT tap) water in plastic bottle and rinse sinuses as directed. Some of their other products contain ingredients that probably are useful for some people but which I know I don't tolerate. The original sinus rinse doesn't have those. It's available in most drug stores (never seen it in health food stores for some reason).

Hope that helps.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

Unfortunately, I am still unable to sleep on the cpap machine. What was happening was I was falling asleep and waking up after about an hour on the machine.

Finally, for various reasons, I have come to the conclusion that due to my highly sensitive system which has been an issue for as long as I can remember, I am having difficulty tolerating this machine. But I have no choice but to learn how to.

Initially, I wanted to ask my doctor for an ambien prescription. No comments please about how dangerous this is as I am pretty desperate and have tried a million solutions.

Unfortunately, I fear he will make me come in since I haven't been there and since June. Because the office is kind of far to get to and I really am not sure I am going to stay with him, I am looking OTC remedies.

Is there anything I could take on an PRN basis like ambien? It seems all the OTC sleep remedies need to be taken on a consistent basis to work consistently.

Thanks!

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

if you've not tried milk peptides ( Lactium) they are incredibly helpful to me...I hate taking them because I have issues with milk, but I have to sometimes...

if you don't have issues with milk and haven't tried them I do think they're far safer than antihistamines (diphenhydramine) or whatever else you might try and certainly safer than ambien...

this is the cheapest source I've found...ignore the name...they're good for men and women...the active ingredient is Lactium.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-womens-anti-stress-formula-lactium-167-mg-60-caps

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

also I would consider micro-doses of lamictal before I took ambien or even over-the-counter stuff...

like 1 to 3 mg of Lamictal...remember a normal dose is 200 to 400 mg...

it's astonishing but these micro doses can be very effective.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Maybe you could try a little yogi stress relief tea? It has kava extract. Read warnings about liver damage. I still think it's better than a lot of options out there. It is what has worked best for me for sleep, without making me feel groggy or drugged. The second day after I took it I had high anxiety so was afraid to try again, but have been thinking about it out of desperation, like you...

Hi Nadia and Gianna,

Thank you for your suggestions. Good news is last night, I had my best night of sleep on the machine and only drank some decaf green tea/creamer and ate a few almonds to get back to sleep when I woke up prematurely.

Nadia, the tea suggestion is a good one but unfortunately, I don't seem to do well with teas that are supposedly relaxing.

Gianna, I may still purchase the Swanson product to have on hand.

Thanks again.

Compsports

I understand. I can handle chamomile but not much else... no linden, no valerian, etc. Kava has been the only one so far, and maybe it will turn on me, too.

Oh, now when I wake up in the middle of the night I take magnesium and 250 mg of niacinamide, and those two together seem to really help.

I understand. I can handle chamomile but not much else... no linden, no valerian, etc. Kava has been the only one so far, and maybe it will turn on me, too.

Oh, now when I wake up in the middle of the night I take magnesium and 250 mg of niacinamide, and those two together seem to really help.

Thanks Nadia, I will give that a shot as I don't think Niacinamide is too expensive.

Sorry you have experienced tea difficulties and I hope the Kava doesn't turn on you.

CS

Thanks, Compsports!

It's all a crapshoot... we are all different, and what works for us one day can stop working or backfire. And the need for sleep is so real!

My approach is not to do anything for more than a few days in a row, with expception of the magnesium.

The niacinamde and magnesium combo works well for me, but of course, it is subtle. It's not like taking a barbituate or anything like that.

What I liked about the kava is it didn't make me feel drugged and it worked better than any benzo or antihistamine I've tried. I might experiment a bit more with it if I'm feeling brave.

Of the antihistamines, I found doxylamine succinate, 15 mg, to work pretty well. I never took it more than one day in a row, though.

• 1 year later...

Hi was wondering about using Benadryl for w/d symptoms. anyone have experience with that?

2006-2012 50mgs zoloft
skipped doses every other day for a year and started having anxiety again in March 2012
back on at 50mgs Dec 2013
started taper from benzos April 2014 per Heather Ashton method (c/o from kpin to diazepam)
March 2015 started 1.25mg lorazepam
Tapered off Zoloft in May off in 4 weeks...5 weeks later crashing AGAIN. Dr wanted to start Gabapentin tried it 7 days
Symptoms :burning eyes, anxiety, pounding heart, dizzy, strange head feeling, internal shaking, Overall UNWELL
Taking lorazepam 1.25mg daily

Hi laineyk,

Using benadryl is not generally recommended, especially if you are trying to use it for sleep. I found this quote from Alto:

The problem with is diphenhydramine is its beneficial sleep effect can wear off and it can go paradoxical -- it will keep you awake instead.

I found this to be true. When I was still on meds, the doc told me I could try it and I was up to 3 tabs a night for only a short time when I had to stop. Had the worst headache from using it. Generally, only high quality fish oil and magnesium are recommended to cope with symptoms and other non-medical aids such as relaxing music, room darkening at night, etc. No one here (I think) has found a magic bullet or it would be shouted from the rooftops! 

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I have found that if I am having a significant allergic reaction to something Benadryl will stop the reaction and I won't experience any side effects. If I take it for any other reason I may get that zoned out feeling. If I sleep it is a restless sleep and I am outright mean the next day. 

Alto's information: "The SSRIs evolved from antihistamines". was something that I did not know. I was kept on Benadryl for springs and summers until I was probably 11. I'm serious, I took it every day. Falls and winters brought cough medicine with codeine. Ohhh, just had a s****y aha moment. Time to journal. 

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Omeprazole: 09/2103 40mg...5/1/14: 20mg... 8/21/14 = 0

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

Hydroxyzine; 10mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. Mood changes/rage 

Buspirone: 7.5mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. No changes.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found that not only does Benadryl wear of as a sleep aid with long term use, but its anxiolytic effect also wears off with prolonged use. Just my own personal experience, but doesn't surprise me.

insomnia, anxiety, depression- since childhood

lyme disease, dysautonomia, chiari malformation- dx 4/1997

nortriptyline- 75mg since childhood

clonazepam- 3mg since 4/1997

trazodone-100mg since 4/2013, now tapering

rotating antibiotics and antimalarials for lyme disease

midodrine- 10mg for dysautonomia

repeated skull surgeries for chiari malformation

• 2 months later...

If you look you will find people who have been or are addicted to antihistamines.  

I found it set back my withdrawal I used it only when I felt not sleeping was causing symptoms I was scared of really scared of I was losing it... then i would take 1/4 and even with this low dose I would feel my withdrawal became worse after I have used it.  Some feed back mechanism is what caused it or so I learned when  I read about it long ago... I had already had a paradoxical reaction to benzo for sleep before this and was not into taking any sleep meds.  I found I could go about 3-4 days without sleep after that I got dangerous and would take something. 

Tho I battles insomnia and broken sleep for years I took !/4 dose only 3-4 times during all that... as the fallout was just not worth it. 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if you can take lactium and a low dose of remeron (4.5) together? and if you are already taking mag glycinate, tart cherry, melatonin, calm forte and at times valerian tea or chamomile, what transition should you be doing with going on to lactium...was going to introduce lactium once remeron was complete but just wondering if it can be taken consequetively with the remeron for break thru sleeping but also cautious as to whether I need to be eliminating the calm forte and melatonin and replacing that with lactium? Any thoughts or suggestions on this topic? was sleeping on avg 6-7 hours per night...now 5 hours last eve....

med exp since 1985- abilify, latuda, Seroquel, risperadol, zyprexa, Haldol. latuda, saphris, mellaril, thorazine, lithium, tegretol, Depakote, lamictal, Prozac, pamelor, wellbutrin, Ativan, klonipin, etc.

currently only on remeron: 3/13/14-6/5/14- 15mg

6/20/14 -9.5mg < 0.75-1.5 per week

7/12/14-3.75mg

8/11/14- 0.6mg of Remeron (almost off)

8/16/14--last dose of remeron...now completely drug free....

11/21/14-- 95 DAYS DRUG FREE!!!!

I do not give out medical advice only personal experience.

dx: BPI, II, CKD, secondary hyperparathyroidism, Chronic pain, fibro,

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Lactium is very, very mild. Given all you're taking, you might not even feel it.

Lemon balm (melissa) is relaxing, but it can be strong. Try a fraction of a dose first.

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

Im in protracted withdrawal (8 months now) and looked up non-addictive medication to treat anxiety and it came up with Vistaril (hydroxyzine) and wondered if anyone has used it before and whether it was worth it?

Thank you

In 2001 - started on Carbamezapine (can't remember dose), Fluoexitine 20mg, Clanozepam (low dose) after a nervous breakdown.

In 2004 - abruptly stopped carbamezapine after falling pregnant.  

In 2009 - changed from Fluoexitine to Citalopram 20mg.

In 2014 - tappered off clanozepam.

In Aug 2015 - cold turkey off Citalopram :o

From Aug - Dec 2015 I had mostly flu-like symptoms and trouble sleeping. From Jan - April 2016 Emotional nightmare ensued, paranoia, excessive anxiety and tormenting thoughts, basically trying to manage these emotions and thoughts which are exhausting.  Lots of intense emotions followed by tears, at times howling when Im alone.In March 2016 I tried Choline & Inisitol, Vit B Complex, Using Aromatherapy, like Lavendar, Clary Sage and others.

In April STOPPED Choline & Inositol as I beleive it was giving me shakes and making me more anxious.  It also made me feel like i'd taken a benzo tablet making me feel sedated.  Reading - The Body Keeps Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk (recommended by a member on this group).

Symptoms - extreme low self esteem and insecurity, intense emotions and tearfulness. This is so so hard.  But im going to keep pushing.  Feel bad for my 2 girls and husband.  I don't want to be seen in this way, especially by the girls. Self-help : praying, meditating, breathing exercises and physical exercises.

Ceterizine (antihistamine) - I've been taking this for many years now for itchiness in my palms and feet.  I take them as and when I need them. JULY 2016 Dr Bach homeopathic remedies and 'rescue remedy'

• 2 weeks later...

My MD prescribed it after I took Prozac and quit . I haven't tried it due to the symptoms I'm having and don't want to make them worse . I wish I could have tried it before . I saw that it has some precautions when taking an antidepressant and since our nervous systems and very sensitive right now I wouldn't dare try anything that messes with that . This is just my opinion .

Xanax PRN ( 1/2 of .25mg approximately 2-3 a month when needed ) since May 2015

In April 2016 started birth control and in my opinion it triggered anxiety for almost a week straight and took 1/2 .25mg Xanax everyday for that week ( never had taken that many in a row before )

Saw the family MD and gave me Prozac 20 mg.

took it for 6 days and could not handle the side effects and had to stop working

Went back to the dr on the 7 day and told me to stop CT . I told him that I was scared to stop so suddenly so he gave me 10mg to take to see if the side effects decreased

Took the 10mg that night and the next day felt so much worse . After that did take anything any more except and antibiotic due to UTI

It's been almost 7 weeks and I have a lot of weakness ( comes and goes) anxiety , cortisol urges at night and worse in the morning which usually lessens throughout the day , tinnitus , heavy leg feeling , fatigue and burning skin mostly my left arm, face and neck mainly when I fee the cortisol surges .

My MD prescribed it after I took Prozac and quit . I haven't tried it due to the symptoms I'm having and don't want to make them worse . I wish I could have tried it before . I saw that it has some precautions when taking an antidepressant and since our nervous systems and very sensitive right now I wouldn't dare try anything that messes with that . This is just my opinion .

Yes I agree, Prozac20.

In 2001 - started on Carbamezapine (can't remember dose), Fluoexitine 20mg, Clanozepam (low dose) after a nervous breakdown.

From Aug - Dec 2015 I had mostly flu-like symptoms and trouble sleeping. From Jan - April 2016 Emotional nightmare ensued, paranoia, excessive anxiety and tormenting thoughts, basically trying to manage these emotions and thoughts which are exhausting.  Lots of intense emotions followed by tears, at times howling when Im alone.In March 2016 I tried Choline & Inisitol, Vit B Complex, Using Aromatherapy, like Lavendar, Clary Sage and others.

In April STOPPED Choline & Inositol as I beleive it was giving me shakes and making me more anxious.  It also made me feel like i'd taken a benzo tablet making me feel sedated.  Reading - The Body Keeps Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk (recommended by a member on this group).

Symptoms - extreme low self esteem and insecurity, intense emotions and tearfulness. This is so so hard.  But im going to keep pushing.  Feel bad for my 2 girls and husband.  I don't want to be seen in this way, especially by the girls. Self-help : praying, meditating, breathing exercises and physical exercises.

Ceterizine (antihistamine) - I've been taking this for many years now for itchiness in my palms and feet.  I take them as and when I need them. JULY 2016 Dr Bach homeopathic remedies and 'rescue remedy'

How long were you on the antidepressant ?

In April 2016 started birth control and in my opinion it triggered anxiety for almost a week straight and took 1/2 .25mg Xanax everyday for that week ( never had taken that many in a row before )

took it for 6 days and could not handle the side effects and had to stop working

Went back to the dr on the 7 day and told me to stop CT . I told him that I was scared to stop so suddenly so he gave me 10mg to take to see if the side effects decreased

Took the 10mg that night and the next day felt so much worse . After that did take anything any more except and antibiotic due to UTI

It's been almost 7 weeks and I have a lot of weakness ( comes and goes) anxiety , cortisol urges at night and worse in the morning which usually lessens throughout the day , tinnitus , heavy leg feeling , fatigue and burning skin mostly my left arm, face and neck mainly when I fee the cortisol surges .

• Moderator Emeritus

We have a topic on this drug in the symptoms forum, see: Atarax (Hydroxyzine) for Anxiety? - Surviving Antidepressants

and...

On 5/4/2015 at 5:45 PM, Petunia said:

Atarax (Hydroxyzine) is an antihistamine. For someone recovering from antidepressant withdrawal, antihistamines can make symptoms worse and possibly slow recovery because they affect some of the same family of receptors that antidepressants target.

Please see this topic for more information:

Antihistamines

Edited by Altostrata
updated

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks Petunia for the info.

ThAnks

It's a common medication prescribed in mental wards and Prison's as well lol. It's really no different than a tranquilizer, falling short only of antihistamines like promethazine, higher doses will  have you drooling on yourself in no time.  :D

Past AD Experiences : (Fluvoxamine 3 years, D/C'd @ age 15).

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Originally for OCD, the luvox took about 6 months to taper off.

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

• 3 months later...

Dr Healy mentions diphenhydramine as a less potent SSRI.

Also, it is used as first line treatment for extrapiramidal symptoms and Akathisia.

http://rxisk.org/guide-stopping-antidepressants/#Reducing_hyper-vigilance

December 2015 One month Prozac at 10mg/day and every other day for MILD Anxiety ( What the hell??? No prior illness of any sort.)

Horrible side effects. Finally Cold Turkey.
May 2016 - Lamotrigine 0.5mg. Going up slowly. Sleep back to 8-9 hours normal (complete insomnia after Prozac).
June 2016 - 2 weeks 2.5mg Diazepam for Akathisia. Then lowered to 0.6mg/day.

Also Propranolol, Clonidine, occasional antihistamine, magnesium, B6 - for akathisia.

Experiencing severe protracted withdrawal. Symptoms got worse and changed each month. 

Last symptom remaining - Severe Akathisia since May with (mostly) waves and (some) windows. (When worse: pacing, can't concentrate or even speak, difficulty eating, driving, getting out of the house, horrible pain, restlessness, headache, exhaustion)

• 1 month later...

I took doxylamine succinate half a pill or 12.5 mg for 4 months when my first tolerance poopout started after 9 years on paxil. I helped me sleep for those 4 months, but I also suffered from dry mouth, etc. I think it does negatively effect withdrawal and tolerance and causes rebound anxiety in the long run and loses it effect on sleep and anxiety.

Update 8122017

Zoloft  2004. Effexor 2004-2006. Paxil 20 mg for 2006-2010. Ct 2010, bad effects back on, stable by 2011.  Poopout June 2015. Zoloft with paxil for a while, stopped Zoloft.

Sep 2016 paxil 16.2 mg alone(295 mg pill weight). Started tapering 11/14/2016.

Took off 1 mg pill weight(total pill weight of 20 mg = 365 mg and 16 mg is 295 mg). Went down 1 mg per week of pill weight so down to 291 mg by end of November. Starting getting anxiety issues starting since 12/10/2016. Hoping that a faster taper will help.

12/14/2016 - 15.95 mg (291 mg pill weight)

12/16/2016 -  15.83 mg (289 mg pill weight)

12/23/2016 -  15.67 (286 mg pill weight)

8/12/2017 -  15.34 (280 mg pill weight)

I've tried Nytol, and all of its counter parts and it did nothing to help me sleep.  I'm taking L-Glutamine 5 grams four times a day and my sleep is getting better.  

July Medications: Started taking antidepressants in 1981, also benzos off and on; antiphychotics , anti-seizure for years.   Trazodone, Lamotrigine, Klonopin for over 10 years   all at maximum dosages,:Disconcontinued Klonopin in month of February 2011,  discontinued Trazodone and Lamotrigine   in month of March 2011 while in hosptial.  Given Seroquel to "help" go off Klonopin  gradually increased to 600 mg ; doctor took me off 600 mg. Seroquel in two weeks, and switched to Resperidal  because of weight gain on Seroquel, went off Resperidal quickly,   then gradually reinstated  Seroquel to 600 mg. at my request.   Went off Seroquel by myself at 25mg. per month in 2014.     Last medication Seroquel completely off since May 2016. Also went off Morphine at the same time as last 25 mg. of Seroquel in May 2016. Started tapering Celexa 40mg. to 35mg.  on 11 Aug. 2016  ; 16 Oct. Celexa 32.5 mg.; 6 Nov. 2016:  30mg. , 50 mg abt. Feb 26 with occasional 30mg.  , : May 10, 2017 began tapering rapidly because of adverse reaction to Celexa;, 40 mg. Celexa;   May 24, 2017: 35mg Celexa.;  June 8, 2017, 30 mg. Celexa, June 22, 2017 25mg.Celexa,; July 6,2017 20mg. CELEXA, July 20: 15mg.; August 10: Sep 29 2017: 10mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac, 5 Oct, 2017:  5mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac.; Oct. 14 Celexa 0., Prozac 10mg.Took last Prozac on November 22, 2017, Jan. 31 30mg. Cymbalta........ May Cymbalta 90mg.

Supplements Cal/Mag , Potassium, , Multi Vitamin.  digestive aid, antioxidant

Medications presently taking:    Lyrica 150mg. 2x day  , Synthroid 175mcg, Nasonex 2 sprays each nostril, once a day ,     Tylenol  1,000 mg. 2x day., , Restasis eye drops 2x day,  Trazodone 100 mg, Cymbalta 90 mg. Arthrotec 50 mg., Plavix

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy