SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Antihistamines for withdrawal insomnia (diphenhydramine, doxylamine, hydroxyzine)

Altostrata

Diphenhydramine works very well for me (calmed me down and made me sleep on several occasions) 

However now I'm tempted to use it for a few consecutive nights and I'm worried about doing it too much, what would be too much?

2008 Cipralex

2009-2012 150mg Effexor

2013 60mg Cymbalta

MID 2013-2015 75mg Effexor

LATE 2017 1 MONTH SJW

• ChessieCat changed the title to Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for withdrawal insomnia

I have always been able to use Benedryl until I had my withdrawal problems....Just as the warning in the OP indicates...it went paradoxical on me. Now I will not touch it.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

long time ago I wrote anything on this forum. Things were going good for a long time, not great, but good. I stopped eating gluten at the end of the summer,  and a lot of my physical symptoms went away, which was really good.

But my anxiety and the occasional depression persisted after that. I also got acne on my back, and itching sores on my legs.

So my doctor told me to take Atarax (I chose to take 10 mg per day) and it helped a lot with the itching and anxiety. I actually started to like living again and started laughing again and feeling real feelings (albeit a little numbed).

But after about a month after starting Atarax i had a really bad night. My legs felt jittery, the zaps started again and the burning skin came back. I ate gluten the same week I must add.

So the day after I was really tired and decided to stop eating the Atarax. But the day after that I was really wobbly and also had a lot of nausea. So I decided to take half a pill and it subsided after a couple of hours. I decided to stay on half a pill everyday the week after that, but I felt nauseous all week and all the symptoms I mentioned above lingered.

So.... now I feel stuck. Should I keep eating the Atarax (and probably up the dose because I suspect that I have developed a tolerance) or should I taper and risk getting my self into an acute withdrawal phase again?

I really dont know what to do, and I feel scared about going through withdrawal again :(

Started Sertralin the spring of -13 and got up to 150 mgs (which was a mistake by my GP)

Decided to taper it form 150 mgs in sep -13 by reducing the dosage by 12.5 mgs every other week.

Got off Sertraline in Feb -14 and started noticing withdrawal after about 15 days off the meds.

Still experiencing withdrawal after 2 years and 5 months off the medicine.

@Pzen

Feeling sorry that you think Atarax is not helping.

But can you tell me more about gluten? Is it true that it acts so bad?

I am vegetarian and don't think leaving wheat is an option where I live with my family...

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
05/14 - 08/14 Venlafaxine 75 xr ( 1-0-1), zapiz 0.25
10/14 Zaptra 12.5mg , Oxetol xr 150mg (0-0-1)
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.
12/15-02/16 Off Meds (C.T)

03/16-Mid April Sertraline, Aripropazole, Quetiapine, Etizolam.

After that : CT and on OTC supplements (Roadback), now on Ayurveda

I think some of us have developed some new allergier/sensitivities after quitting ssris. For me, I def think gluten is one of them. Especially when I felt that all my aches pretty much went away after quitting it

Started Sertralin the spring of -13 and got up to 150 mgs (which was a mistake by my GP)

Decided to taper it form 150 mgs in sep -13 by reducing the dosage by 12.5 mgs every other week.

Got off Sertraline in Feb -14 and started noticing withdrawal after about 15 days off the meds.

Still experiencing withdrawal after 2 years and 5 months off the medicine.

I have taken Atarax on and off for the past 5 years. I have found that after a few months, that sometimes it works and sometimes it makes things worse or just doesn't do anything at all. I found that I can't just stop it (which you are supposed to be able to, but that isn't the case). Mind you, I only take from 5-10mg at any given time which some say wouldn't even help symptoms in the first place, but it does for me. When I need to stop taking it, I just cut the dose in half for a week, and then I will take that amount every other day for a week and then stop. I do tend to get some heart palps for a few days after I stop, but it goes away quickly.

Good luck! 

Was put on antidepressants for migraines in 1999. Have taken several different ones including Amitriptyline, Paxil, Trazadone, Lexapro, Zoloft, and now Viibryd. Was misdiagnosed with insomnia and put on Ambien for several years when Trazadone stopped working. Big mistake by my doctor. I didn't truly have insomnia. But had sleep issues because of the antidepressants. Nonetheless, when the FDA came out with warnings on Ambien, my doctor cut my dose in half (10mg nightly, never more, only taken as prescribed) and I went through living hell immediately but my doctor had no idea what was wrong so she added Ativan to the mix for 4 months. Needless to say, I got really really sick with anxiety beyond anything I can explain. After several months, I researched on my own and found out what the problem was. I was in withdrawal.

June 2013, Viibryd 40mg, 10mg of Ambien

July 2013, Ambien cut in half to 5mg, doctor added .25mg Ativan 3-4 times per days as needed.

Dec 2013, rapid taper off Ativan because of tolerance withdrawal and horrible sxs.

April 2014, finished 5 mg taper of Ambien

April 2016-40Mg Viibryd taper started. Viibryd was cut by 5mg increments from April 2016- August 2017; always reduced as tolerated. Held at 10mg for a year to stabilize. Yes, these are larger cuts than recommended, but it worked for me.

August 27, 2017-Done with Viibryd

Worst symptoms now are tension headaches and increased anxiety. Tolerable, as I have managed to maintain a full time job and raise two kids without issue.  Symptoms are just annoying and fuel my anxiety. Take 5-10mg of Atarax per day as needed to help take the edge of anxiety.

• 5 months later...

I have been taking 12.5 mg of doxylamine succinate, the antihistamine in NyQuil to help me sleep the last three nights.  It has worked great and I experienced temporary relief from anxiety and insomnia.

Since I reduced my dose to 1ml of liquid Prozac, my anxiety has been really bad.  I increased the dose to 1.5 ml and my anxiety has diminished a little bit, but is still unpleasant.  My question is, is it safe to use an antihistamine short term until the anxiety subsides a bit more so I can sleep?  I do not want to become dependent on it, but it is providing a lot of relief so I can sleep and function during the day.  

Thank you for your thoughts.

Paxil 25 mg — January 2010 — June 2012

Wellbutrin 300 mg — December 2012 — September 2016

Prozac 20 mg — December 2012 — September 2016

Trazadone — 100 mg December 2012 — September 2016

10 mg Prozac — October 2016 — November 2017

25 mg Trazadone — October 2016 — present

8 mg Liquid Prozac November 2017 — present

• Altostrata changed the title to Benadryl (diphenhydramine) or doxylamine (Nyquil) for withdrawal insomnia
  • Administrator

Hi, Ruth, please see the above discussion.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata changed the title to Hydroxyzine (Atarax, Vistaril)
  • Administrator
On 12/8/2017 at 8:08 AM, Timetobedone said:

after a few months, that sometimes it works and sometimes it makes things worse or just doesn't do anything at all.

This is typical of the antihistamines people use for sleep. They poop-out or go paradoxical after a bit of regular use. It's best to rotate these remedies, and to use them at lowest effective dose, which may be a fraction of a tablet.

Hydroxyzine has a half-life of about 20 hours, you might feel its effects for a day or two.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Altostrata changed the title to Antihistamines for withdrawal insomnia (diphenhydramine, doxylamine, hydroxyzine)
  • 6 months later...

So I tried doing a little research on what this antihistamine actually does receptor wise. I found some articles saying it acts on serotonin. Has anyone else come across this? It has sedating effects and helps anxiety. I'm currently taking it and I feel it does nothing. When I try to stop, my anxiety sky rockets. So I suppose it does do something for me, or has a withdrawal affect even though everything says it doesn't.

Thoughts on this med? I tried it last year when I had horrible insomnia from Lexapro the first time around. It worked wonders but stopped working after a couple of months. I found it hard to discontinue and had to taper it over some weeks to months. 

-Lexapro 10mg March of 2017 for about 7 days. Insane panic  upon first dose.

-Clonazepam 1mg daily to counter the insane panic from Lexapro. March of 2017

-Reduced Clonazepam from 1mg to .75mg over 5 months. December 2017-April 2018

-Buspar October 2017 to August 2018. Discontinued due to rare side effects. Extreme withdrawals

-Switch to Valium in June 2018 from Clonazepam.  15mg daily. 

-Current meds, 15mg Valium daily. Pretty sure I hit tolerance.

-Tried low dosage Lexapro again mid October 2018. .5mg daily for one week, then 1mg daily for the second. Made it almost two weeks before madness ensued. 

• 1 month later...

The problem with benadryl is that it can cause a major setback for benzo withdrawal. Anything with alcohol in it is the devil. I was just considering a normal antihistamine.

Ativan Sept 2016 to February 2017 

Cymbalta 30mg from November 2016, taper started in July 2018. 

Horrible withdrawals from Ativan. Was starting to feel better until I began tapering Cymbalta in July. CNS was still very fragile from benzo WD. Went from Cymbalta 30mg to 20mg in in 2.5 months. Was at 20mg for approx 3 weeks and then went back up to 22.5mg.

Symptoms: intense shaking, heart palpitations, extreme anxiety and rage, depression, sweating, nausea. 

Used to be into fitness but can't workout now until my nervous system calms down. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Posted in a member's topic:

50 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine with a half-life of about 20 hours, which means it may be supplying some sedation during the day. I'd reduce it by 25% every few days.

It could be the hydroxyzine has turned paradoxical on you, as these sedating antihistamines often do, and your sleep will improve as you lower the dose.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

https://www.pharmacist.com/nonprescription-antihistamines-geriatric-considerations

Nonprescription antihistamines are approved by FDA for temporary relief of allergic rhinitis symptoms.1 Diphenhydramine is also an FDA-approved antitussive, nighttime sleep aid, and antiemetic.1 In addition, nonprescription antihistamines are often self-selected for management of common cold symptoms.

H1 antihistamines are commonly classified by functional class (e.g., first generation [sedating] and second generation [nonsedating]). With similar efficacy, adverse effects depend on the ability of the H1 antihistamines to block muscarinic, adrenergic, and serotonergic receptors and to cross the blood–brain barrier.2 The first-generation nonprescription H1 antihistamines (i.e., brompheniramine, chlorpheniramine, clemastine, dexbrompheniramine, diphenhydramine) cross the blood–brain barrier and are associated with central nervous system adverse effects (e.g., drowsiness, fatigue, dizziness, impaired thinking and memory, agitation, and hallucinations; children and the elderly may experience paradoxical excitation and agitation).

Anticholinergic adverse effects associated with the first-generation H1 antihistamines include dry mouth, dry eyes, pupillary dilatation, urinary retention, constipation, memory defects, dizziness, postural hypotension, and weight gain. Some first-generation H1 antihistamines block alpha-adrenergic receptors, serotonin receptors, and cardiac ion currents, contributing to cardiovascular toxicities such as dysrhythmias, prolongation of the QT interval, and postural hypotension.3

• Administrator

Full text https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/add5/6762ecc52d77c06be6349e56c6baa2f631f6.pdf

2012;16(5). Prof Nurs Today.

Antihistamines: a brief review.

Van Schoor J, MPharm. Amayeza Info Centre

Antihistamines comprise a broad class of pharmacological agents that include the rst-generation, relatively sedating H1antagonists (e.g. diphenhydramine) and the newer, second-generation, less- or nonsedating H1 antagonists (e.g. loratadine).

Depending on their effects on the central nervous system (CNS), antihistamines are divided into “classic” or first- generation antihistamines and newer, second-generation antihistamines. Although the second-generation anti- histamines were designed to overcome the sedative e ects associated with the first-generation agents, several of the second-generation agents are not free from sedative effects at higher doses. It is important to emphasise that sedation is not just sleepiness, but also refers to cognitive impairment that may be detrimental to daytime activities, including school and work performance, driving ability and other tasks that require a high degree of concentration and alertness.

Other histamine-receptor antagonists, such as cimetidine or ranitidine, work primarily on H2 receptors, causing inhibition of gastric acid secretion, while still other experimental antihistamines act on presynaptic H3 receptors. e term “antihistamine” is normally reserved for histamine-1 receptor antagonists.

Some antihistamines, especially the ethanolamines such as diphenhydramine and doxylamine, are used for their sedative effects as night-time sleep aids in individuals who experience occasional sleeplessness or who have diffculty falling asleep.

Side effects

Central nervous system

H1 receptors are widely distributed throughout the CNS and the first-generation H1 antagonists may cause several effects on the CNS such as sedation, problems with coordination, dizziness, lack of concentration and, paradoxically, agitation and excitability, particularly in children and in the elderly.

An important determinant of the potential for CNS adverse effects is the capacity of the compound to cross the blood- brain barrier (BBB). Crossing the BBB depends on the chemical properties of the compound such as lipophilicity and molecular weight. First-generation antihistamines are highly lipid soluble and have a low molecular weight and a high a nity for cerebral H1 receptors, which means that CNS side-e ects such as sedation occur frequently, even at therapeutic doses. Second-generation antihistamines, in contrast, have greater molecular weight, low lipid solubility and low a nity for cerebral H1 receptors. therefore, most second-generation antihistamines at therapeutic doses are devoid of significant side-effects on the CNS.

• Administrator

J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2002 Oct;22(5):511-5.

Tolerance to daytime sedative effects of H1 antihistamines.

Richardson GS1, Roehrs TA, Rosenthal L, Koshorek G, Roth T.

Abstract at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12352276

Sedation is the principal side effect of first generation H1 antihistamines, and recent studies have suggested that this side effect should limit the clinical application of these drugs. The sedative effect also underlies the use of these first-generation drugs as nonprescriptive remedies for insomnia. In both cases, the potential for tolerance to the sedative effect of these drugs is an important issue for which there are few objective data. In the study reported here, 15 healthy men age 18 to 50 years received either diphenhydramine 50 mg or placebo twice a day for 4 days in a randomized, double-blind, crossover trial design. Dependent measures included objective and subjective assessments of sleepiness and computer-based tests of psychomotor performance. Both objective and subjective measures of sleepiness showed significantly higher levels on day 1 for diphenhydramine compared to placebo. By day 4, however, levels of sleepiness on diphenhydramine were indistinguishable from placebo. Similarly, diphenhydramine produced significant impairment of performance that was completely reversed by day 4. These data provide the first objective confirmation that tolerance develops to the sedative effect of a prototypical first-generation H1 antihistamine, diphenhydramine. On this dosing regimen, tolerance was complete by the end of 3 days of administration. While other antihistamines and dosing regimens may differ, these results suggest that tolerance to the sedation produced by these drugs develops with remarkable rapidity.

• Administrator

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/sleep-aids/faq-20058393

Is it OK to use over-the-counter antihistamines to treat insomnia? I'd like to avoid prescription sleep aids.

Answer From Eric J. Olson, M.D.

Antihistamines can cause drowsiness, which might help you fall asleep for a few nights — but routine use of antihistamines for insomnia isn't recommended.

Antihistamines, mainly used to treat symptoms of hay fever or other allergies, induce drowsiness by working against histamine, a chemical produced by the central nervous system. In fact, most over-the-counter sleep aids contain antihistamines. These sleep aids are intended to be used for only two to three nights at a time, however, such as when stress, travel or other disruptions keep you awake.

Tolerance to the sedative effects of antihistamines can develop quickly. As a result, the longer you take them, the less likely they are to make you sleepy. Side effects might include daytime drowsiness, dry mouth and dizziness.

Also, diphenhydramine and doxylamine — sedating antihistamines found in various over-the-counter sleep aids — aren't recommended for people who have closed-angle glaucoma, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or severe liver disease.

• 2 months later...
On 10/10/2012 at 7:47 AM, GiaK said:

also I would consider micro-doses of lamictal before I took ambien or even over-the-counter stuff...

like 1 to 3 mg of Lamictal...remember a normal dose is 200 to 400 mg...

it's astonishing but these micro doses can be very effective.

Do you still promote the use of microdose lamictal? I know how hard of time you had with it... 

med history: 17 years total

Concerta: 2 yrs - cold turkey, brought on first "depression" 

Short trials of Zoloft and Effexor: 1-3 years - multiple cold turkey's brought on OCD intrusive thoughts for the first time

Lexapro 15-20 mg (16 yrs)  - tried to quit once, cold turkey, worst WD ever, had to go on to 20mg to stop WD

Welbutrin 150mg (8-ish yrs) NO w/d symptoms from CT

Adderall 5-7.5mg (8-10-ish yrs) quit CT, brought on many WD symptoms, but manageable. 

Begin taper March 2018 Currently on 4.4 mg lexapro - down from 20mg

Symptoms depression, horrible intrusive thoughts and urges, new onset PMS/PMDD, constant extreme irritation and anger, visual hallucinations, irrational thinking patterns, panic, nausea, dizzy, intolerance to working out, chemical sensitivities, noise sensitivities, memory issues, heart palps, etc. 

On 5/8/2019 at 12:01 AM, Peachy said:

Do you still promote the use of microdose lamictal? I know how hard of time you had with it... 

I don't promote anything. I said that I would "consider micro-doses of lamictal" before I took the other stuff...that's not promoting it. I promote people doing what is right for them at any given time and that is a forever changing kaleidoscopic thing that varies hugely due to peoples radically different lived contexts. What is right for me at this moment may never be right for you and in fact may never be right for me again after this moment...

the only thing I promote at this point is that we learn to listen to our bodies and follow heed. That is a long process and it takes time. 

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

@GiaK

sorry, maybe the wording was a bit off. I just meant do you think, and/or do you know of people who micro-dose lamictal was actually a tool in healing, rather than just adding another drug to taper from or cause more harm.

My alerting system/nervous system has been a wreck since before I started my taper, possibly a tolerance to long term Lexapro, possibly caused by adding in a ton of supplements.  I have tapered down to 4.5 in 3 years, but it’s only getting worse. Can’t go up or down at this point. Not stabilizing. My periods are horrendous. My doctor thinks that I should stop tapering for the time being and try .5mg of lamictal to try and calm things down. 

I know that lamictal was very bad for you, and I since I trust your opinion, I would love your opinion?

Not looking to only covering up symptoms, to later have to taper off something else that is equally as damaging? 

Thank you! 

Short trials of Zoloft and Effexor: 1-3 years - multiple cold turkey's brought on OCD intrusive thoughts for the first time

Lexapro 15-20 mg (16 yrs)  - tried to quit once, cold turkey, worst WD ever, had to go on to 20mg to stop WD

Adderall 5-7.5mg (8-10-ish yrs) quit CT, brought on many WD symptoms, but manageable. 

Symptoms depression, horrible intrusive thoughts and urges, new onset PMS/PMDD, constant extreme irritation and anger, visual hallucinations, irrational thinking patterns, panic, nausea, dizzy, intolerance to working out, chemical sensitivities, noise sensitivities, memory issues, heart palps, etc. 

actually  @Altostrata is much better situated to answer that question. I only used it very briefly (and it was helpful for a short time...which was often all I could hope for in those days...had to switch it up all the time...I'm still like that actually but now I flow with it because I've learned to listen to my body so well)  In any case I didn't have much experience with others using lamictal either.  It certainly can be helpful for some folks but I really don't know enough about that to give a reliable answer here. 

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

6 hours ago, GiaK said:

actually  @Altostrata is much better situated to answer that question. I only used it very briefly (and it was helpful for a short time...which was often all I could hope for in those days...had to switch it up all the time...I'm still like that actually but now I flow with it because I've learned to listen to my body so well)  In any case I didn't have much experience with others using lamictal either.  It certainly can be helpful for some folks but I really don't know enough about that to give a reliable answer here. 

Hi GiaK I saw you used lactium for sleep I read it affects gaba receptors is that true ? I tried it and I find it also constipating  But did feel the sedation  not very strong .

what are your thoughts?

2007-2016 citalopram 20mg -40mg

tappered and discontinued all of oct 2016 6 month taper  (wd symptom  insomnia and some ocd anxiety)

Nov.2016 -May 2017 cipralex 20mg

June-Sept 2017  xanax 0.25- 0.50mg   3 times a week

June 2017- Sept. 25.2017  Paxil  20mg - last week was 30mg bc of drug feeling reaction

Sept 27 - Oct 12 2017 Fluxatine 20mg

discontinuation Oct 13-18th 2017 withdrawal  from paxil and fluxatine

Reinstated Oct 19- 23 Fluxtine 10mg, Oct 24- 2 2017 Fluxatine 5mg,  Nov 2-19 2017   Fluxatine 10mg Dec-Jan 4 2018 Fluxatine 20mg, Reinstated Feb 18 2018  fluxatine 1mg, didnt work  June 6  Celexa  5mg than 10mg, June 3 Klonopin  .5 - 1mg,    june 11 oxazepam 5-10mg,   zopiclone in june  7.5mg  on and off,    June 24 reduced  to  5mg Celexa 

Nov. 20 2018 titration k  0.02mg reduction from 0.5- 0.380mg,  Nov.  25 2018  mourol 1 dose for cystitis

March started Brassmonkey method   0.30 k   current 0.28 kcelexa 5mgNov.2021 0.08 updose  0.09 feb. 2022 0.085k  march. 0.08 april 0.075k may0.070k june 0.065 june23  0.060

NOTE: using liquid Rivotril - 2 drops of (2.5mg) rivotril  with 20ml water 

@GiaK thanks for answering that honestly. I have spoken some to @Altostrata about it, but I just like to get others input. I know we all react differently. I’m just scared to put another psych drug into my body. 

When you say had to “switch it up all the time”, are you referring to the lamictal, Or in general? Can I ask how it helped you when it did? And also how was the tapering off of it process for you? Were the gains worth that? Just worried about having to eventually come off that too. Was coming off the microdose anywhere near the hell of coming off the their drugs?

thank you! 

• Administrator
15 hours ago, Peachy said:

My doctor thinks that I should stop tapering for the time being and try .5mg of lamictal to try and calm things down. 

This sounds reasonable to me. Please confer with your doctor.

19 hours ago, Peachy said:

When you say had to “switch it up all the time”, are you referring to the lamictal, Or in general? Can I ask how it helped you when it did? And also how was the tapering off of it process for you? Were the gains worth that? Just worried about having to eventually come off that too. Was coming off the microdose anywhere near the hell of coming off the their drugs?

thank you! 

switch it up at this point means I eat, drink, go out, and take herbals or whatever in the moment as my body wants/needs (it's the same thing when in alignment, since we've been really dysregulated this amount of flexibility is very helpful.). I don't do anything in a regimented way. Ever at this point. It means I can't make commitments and plans ahead of time but my life is going quite smoothly. I need to rest a lot so when I do it's full on REST...then when I get up I do a lot of physical stuff...I'm getting really strong and healthy AND I still end up in bed a lot resting deeply in between that which I do in the house and community. This is my surrender process. It works for me. 

23 hours ago, lalala said:

Hi GiaK I saw you used lactium for sleep I read it affects gaba receptors is that true ? I tried it and I find it also constipating  But did feel the sedation  not very strong .

what are your thoughts?

I used lactium for years. I don't anymore. It's by no means heavily sedating but I never reacted to it and that's probably one of the only things I never reacted to while I was using it (seriously)... I used much larger doses at certain times. Taking two at a time every couple of hours at the peak of my use. Anyway...it's a thing of the past now and I actually do react to the fillers in those sorts of supplements now so I wouldn't resume at this point. I stopped using it before I developed that sensitivity. I don't use most supplements anymore. Just herbs and food with a couple of infrequent exceptions. 

On 5/12/2019 at 1:05 AM, GiaK said:

promote at this point is that we learn to listen to our bodies and follow heed. That is a long process and it takes time. 

Yes! yes! I see in your signature you withdrew from a 6 drug cocktail! this gives me hope. I am in the same place and it sometimes feel like I will never get there. I have to do it just one day at a time or I get overwhelmed. I love what you said about keeping your schedule loose. I am not able to totally do that but I do have some flexibility and it really helps.

-D

2001- Klonopin 0.125 mg.  2011- increase to 1 mg.  2018- increase to 1.5 mg 

2010- Trials of SSRI's, several.

2011- Saphris 5 mg. CT. 6/2017- retry Saphris 5 mg sublingual, begin taper August 2020 10% taper with scale, and final taper liquid sublingual, August 2019- taper complete!

2011- Geodon 20 mg. Begin taper Sept 2019. 10% liquid taper. 2020: December-5 mg. 2021: Jan-4.5mg. (held Feb.for vacation). March-4mg. Apr-3.6mg. May-3.2mg. June-2.8mg. (Held July for vacation). Aug-2.4mg. Sept.- 2.2mg. Oct. 2mg. Dec 2022 - Taper complete!

2011- Gabapentin 300 mg to present- 2020. Increase 2023 to 400mg.

2014- Vyvanse 20 mg, 2020- Vyvanse 5 mg. Increase August 2022 20mg

2016- Lithium 300 mg, June 2016 - FT.

2017- Cogentin 0.5 mg. June-August 2019- off Cogentin.

2021 - Hydroxyzine 30mg. Holding.

Omeprazole 20 mg and holding, Omega 3's/fish oil, Magnesium

On 5/13/2019 at 4:04 PM, GiaK said:

I used lactium for years. I don't anymore. It's by no means heavily sedating but I never reacted to it and that's probably one of the only things I never reacted to while I was using it (seriously)... I used much larger doses at certain times. Taking two at a time every couple of hours at the peak of my use. Anyway...it's a thing of the past now and I actually do react to the fillers in those sorts of supplements now so I wouldn't resume at this point. I stopped using it before I developed that sensitivity. I don't use most supplements anymore. Just herbs and food with a couple of infrequent exceptions. 

Hi GiaK,  I appreciate your response, I thinking you didn't take benzo wnen taking  it? I'm sorry you  can't take them anymore as it  helped in the past ... 

tappered and discontinued all of oct 2016 6 month taper  (wd symptom  insomnia and some ocd anxiety)

June 2017- Sept. 25.2017  Paxil  20mg - last week was 30mg bc of drug feeling reaction

Reinstated Oct 19- 23 Fluxtine 10mg, Oct 24- 2 2017 Fluxatine 5mg,  Nov 2-19 2017   Fluxatine 10mg Dec-Jan 4 2018 Fluxatine 20mg, Reinstated Feb 18 2018  fluxatine 1mg, didnt work  June 6  Celexa  5mg than 10mg, June 3 Klonopin  .5 - 1mg,    june 11 oxazepam 5-10mg,   zopiclone in june  7.5mg  on and off,    June 24 reduced  to  5mg Celexa 

Nov. 20 2018 titration k  0.02mg reduction from 0.5- 0.380mg,  Nov.  25 2018  mourol 1 dose for cystitis

March started Brassmonkey method   0.30 k   current 0.28 kcelexa 5mgNov.2021 0.08 updose  0.09 feb. 2022 0.085k  march. 0.08 april 0.075k may0.070k june 0.065 june23  0.060

On 5/15/2019 at 5:45 AM, lalala said:

Hi GiaK,  I appreciate your response, I thinking you didn't take benzo wnen taking  it? I'm sorry you  can't take them anymore as it  helped in the past ... 

Right, I was already off the benzos...I don't think they would do a damn thing while on benzos, you're right. I would try long slow (or inert) yoga stretches maybe. Look for restorative and/or (gentle) yin yoga videos on youtube....and this article talks about yoga for those of us with delicate nervous systems. 

Yoga tips for those with challenged nervous systems  https://beyondmeds.com/2015/01/15/yoga-tips/

21 minutes ago, GiaK said:

Right, I was already off the benzos...I don't think they would do a damn thing while on benzos, you're right. I would try long slow (or inert) yoga stretches maybe. Look for restorative and/or (gentle) yin yoga videos on youtube....and this article talks about yoga for those of us with delicate nervous systems. 

Yoga tips for those with challenged nervous systems  https://beyondmeds.com/2015/01/15/yoga-tips/

Thanxs GiaK,  I will look into it!  I have been so tired from little sleep .... I wish I could exercise more as its like  a vicious cycle  I don't sleep enough I do less activity , Is it ok to do moderate  exercise  despite  tiredness ? to say the least

20 hours ago, lalala said:

Thanxs GiaK,  I will look into it!  I have been so tired from little sleep .... I wish I could exercise more as its like  a vicious cycle  I don't sleep enough I do less activity , Is it ok to do moderate  exercise  despite  tiredness ? to say the least

is it okay to exercise? I don't know. That's your job...you need to learn to hear what your body can and cannot handle. I recommended long slow stretches because that was all I could handle for a long time. Often no more than about 2 minutes at a time. Seriously. Thing is the lymph NEEDS movement in order to move and we need a healthy lymph to move out all the endogenous crap our body produces in stress...as well as whatever is held in our cells from a life-time of not knowing how to listen to our bodies. It's a process...

18 minutes ago, GiaK said:

is it okay to exercise? I don't know. That's your job...you need to learn to hear what your body can and cannot handle. I recommended long slow stretches because that was all I could handle for a long time. Often no more than about 2 minutes at a time. Seriously. Thing is the lymph NEEDS movement in order to move and we need a healthy lymph to move out all the endogenous crap our body produces in stress...as well as whatever is held in our cells from a life-time of not knowing how to listen to our bodies. It's a process...

Yes I  guess it makes sense, this is why  I  try to always  exercise,  I would  like to ask you  other questions but I don't see an option  for  private messaging.. They are short 

Sorry I need to make limits and boundaries right now I've got a lot on my plate. I learned the hard way that I really need to take care of myself I didn't for many years when I took care of everybody else. I always trust that everybody has what they need within them and that's all I ever helped direct people to do in any case look within and trust yourself. It's a practice.

On 5/20/2019 at 1:05 AM, GiaK said:

Sorry I need to make limits and boundaries right now I've got a lot on my plate. I learned the hard way that I really need to take care of myself I didn't for many years when I took care of everybody else. I always trust that everybody has what they need within them and that's all I ever helped direct people to do in any case look within and trust yourself. It's a practice.

its ok i understand, I appreciate your honesty... Its hard, sleep is my main issue right now, its destroying me...  I will find a way

On 5/23/2019 at 10:44 AM, lalala said:

its ok i understand, I appreciate your honesty... Its hard, sleep is my main issue right now, its destroying me...  I will find a way

Here are some posts that deal with insomnia: https://beyondmeds.com/?s=insomnia

there are LOTS of them. 

Any suggestions on tapering hydroxyzine?  I've was on 20 mg for 5 months while tapering Klonopin.   Increased the dose to 75-100  for the last 2 months in an attempt to alleviate severe insomnia.  I believe it may be making things worse. Have been off Klonopin 3.75 months.  Lots of w/d symptoms.

Thank you!

Adverse reaction to Flagyl antibiotic Oct 2017 -took for 5 days

.5-7.5b Remeron November 2017 - mid June 2018

1-2m Valium up to 6 m/day November 2017 - February 2018

1-3 mg Lunesta November 2017-February 2018

Klonopin February 2018 - current (dose was .375 Feb 18-June 18. increase to .75-1mg June to current

Tapered off Klonopin over 20 weeks.  Off Feb 3 2019

Started Gabapentin 300 mg Aug 15, 19

Started Remeron 15 mg Sept 15 19 

Currently on 11.25 Remeron and 300 Gabapentin

Taking magnesium glycerinate and whole foot b vitamin

• Moderator Emeritus

You could try doing 25% reductions.  However I think it would be better to do a 10% reduction and monitor your symptoms and if it you don't get any additional/increase in symptoms you might be able to reduce again after 1 week.  If symptoms worsen hold for longer.

Reducing by less might be better so that you can "catch" any increase in symptoms and hold at that dose if needed.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy