SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Antihistamines for withdrawal insomnia (diphenhydramine, doxylamine, hydroxyzine)

Altostrata

On 5/24/2019 at 11:14 AM, GiaK said:

Here are some posts that deal with insomnia: https://beyondmeds.com/?s=insomnia

there are LOTS of them. 

So on the first post it's says that taking an anti-histamine for too long can go paradoxical. How many days in a row can you take it before that happens? Because I used it last night, cause I was awake for two days straight during what I'm assuming is a wave. 

Also so I read your story on madinamerica about how you recovered from being on over 30 drugs. Do you think there is hope that I can recover? Considering I was on a lot of psych meds while my brain was still developing at the age of 11. I was started on ADHD, and anti-depressants when I was 11, then ended up stopping celexa abruptly when I was 21. Which I didn't know could be withdrawal at the time. So I trusted psychiatrists for over a year and ended up going on at least 9-10 different medications.

they were Prozac, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Trazodone, an MAOI called EMSam, Lexapro, Rexulti, Buspar. Also I was on Ritalin, Concerta, Adderal, and Vyvanse as kid until I was 18. I also smoked a lot of weed in high school. So at this point I don't know if I can recover.

Drugs I have been on- Vyvanse 30mg, Adderal, citalopram 30mg, Zoloft 20mg, rexulti 10mg,Wellbutrin, Lexapro 20mg, buspar, Prozac 20mg, Trazodone 50mg, Ritalin 20mg.

some of them I can't remember doses for. 

was on on Zoloft, Ritalin, and adderal between the ages of 11-13. Then I was on Celexa and Vyvanse, between the ages of 13-21. Don't remember exact dates. 

Then when I went off the celexa and Vyvanse abruptly and went on all of the other medications. Between the ages of 21 and 22. 

I saw psychiatrist for about 3 months and was put on most of them on and off. I think it was the other SSRI's besides celexa and Zoloft , buspar, Wellbutrin, and rexulti. 

Then I went inpatient a few times after that where it was diagnosed as a recurrence of depression and went on and off medications like celexa, Trazodone, and most recently about 3-4 weeks ago EMSam. I have been completely off medication since than.

supplements- magnesium 250mg, and 2 omega 3's. 

• 1 year later...

I found Doxylamine worked better than Diphenhydramine. Doxylamine has a longer half life.

Diphenhydramine gave me side effects, mostly just felt lousy the next day with a stuffed up nose. Its sedative effects only lasted a few weeks before it stopped working and it only put me to sleep for a 2-3 hours at most. I had to take 75mg to get an effect.

Doxylamine gave me no side effects and worked for much longer, about 4 months but then its sedative effects started to fade. This one put me to sleep for  3-5 hours most of the time. I took 25mg.

I found both to be very powerful anxiolytics, but slow acting, usually took over an hour before I felt their effect. Their anxiolytic effects never faded but perhaps they would have if I used them for longer periods of time.

2004 - 2020: Olanzapine 40mg for schizophrenia (Started to taper in 2016, completely off December 2020, still have withdrawals)

2004 - present: Lorazepam/Clonazepam 1mg as needed, rarely use them

2004 - 2017: Venlafaxine 75mg for depression

2008 - present: Metformin 2000mg for diabetes

2008 - 2013: Lipitor 40mg for high cholesterol

2008 - 2018: Bezalip 400mg for high triglycerides

2013 - present: Crestor 40mg, 20mg , 10mg and now 5mg for high cholesterol

2016 - present: Forxiga 10mg for diabetes

2019 - present: Lurasidone 60mg for schizophrenia

2020 - 2021: Various supplements (100mg 5-HTP, 100mg l-theanine, 500mg GABA, Jamieson Herbal Complex (Relax and Sleep), 500mg Vitamin C, 400 IU Vitamin D, 12.5mg Zinc picolinate , 5mg Melatonin, CalmAid, 10mg CBD, 100mg l-theanine)

2021 - present: Reinstated Olanzapine for sleep, stopped working after a month, no longer on it, still have brutal withdrawal insomnia. Stopped all previous supplements. For sleep I now use: 1 mg clonazepam, 3000mg glycine, 700mg l-theanine/day.

I've tried some other drugs short term but discontinued them early due to side effects. I can't remember all their names, antidepressants and antipsychotics, was only on them for a week or so.

• 4 months later...

How successful have you all found Lactium to be for allergies, itching and asthma? Just bought some online to help with sleep but reading it can help allergies?

2002-2021: 19 yrs on/off psychotropics

2/2022: Wellbutrin 150mg, Lexapro 20mg  3/22: Wellbutrin 150mg xl, Lexapro 10mg    4/22: Wellbutrin 150xl, Lexapro 5mg 

4/2022: Lexa 7.5mg total, Wellbutrin 150mg    5/2022: Wellb 112.5mg xl, Lexa 7.5mg (Stopped Clonazepam & Hydroxyzine- didn't take often)

6/2022: Welbutrin 111mg xl, Lexa 6.8mg          8/2022: Wellbutrin 100mg xl, Lexa 6.8mg            10/9/22: Wellbutrin 100 mg IR, Lexa 6.5 mg

11/3/22: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6.5 mg       11/30/22: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6 mg

3/15/23: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6.2 mg???

Other Daily Meds: Singulair 10mg, Zyrtec 10mg, Spiriva Respimat inhaler.  Rarely taking: OTC pain relievers, Diclofenac, Cyclobenzaprine, anti acids

SupplementsFish oil 1300mg, Nigella oil, Mag Glycinate 200mg, Probiotics 30 billion, 1/5 dose prenatals, Melatonin .38mg, (Reishi, Lion's Mane & psilocybin microdosing by cycles)

On 8/27/2012 at 8:28 PM, Brandy said:

BRapsidy, I get itchy rashes too. (Very allergy-prone all my life, and the rashes/hives/itching got much worse for me in w/d.)

Although I'd taken antihistamines (including antivert for vertigo, which is an antihistamine for vertigo, a lifelong problem for me also) most of my life, I found I could no longer tolerate them orally at least, in w/d. Also had to stop using the cortisone spray (Rhinocort Aqua) I'd been using for severe seasonal respiratory allergies.

I found a couple of other options very helpful.

For itchy skin/rashes/hives, I now use an herbal cream called Florasone cream. (The name is misleading - it contains NO cortisone or anything cortisone-related. The name is a play on words since it's an herbal alternative to cortisone creams.) It's available in health food stores, but I use so much of it (for myself and for allergic family) that I find it's more economical to stock up online, usually from Swanson's when ordering other things anyway (they have flat-rate shipping). But you might want to try one tube purchased locally first to see if you like it.

The packaging calls it homeopathic, but it's really a 10% herbal (cardiospermum) tincture in a bland vegetable base, not what we normally think of as a homeopathic dilution by any means. My family and I find it amazingly effective, and you only need to put on a very thin layer to get results.

I now only seem to get bad respiratory allergies at the beginning of the year but that can go on for months (something that grows near me seasonally, obviously). I find NeilMed nasal rinse helps a LOT. Frankly, I'll never really like feeling all that water going through my sinuses, but the relief after using it makes it worth it!

NeilMed has a lot of products, but I use the original nasal rinse where you mix the packet (natural non-irritating saline ingredient) with distilled (or reverse osmosis) (NOT tap) water in plastic bottle and rinse sinuses as directed. Some of their other products contain ingredients that probably are useful for some people but which I know I don't tolerate. The original sinus rinse doesn't have those. It's available in most drug stores (never seen it in health food stores for some reason).

Hope that helps.

@Brandyi suffer from a lot of itching and take hydroxyzine. It hep

los with anxiety and insomnia as well but trying to not take things that affect my nervous system. Does Florasone work for you for allergy related itching?

Anything else you may have learned so far to replace meds for allergies and asthma?

(I do the saline nasal rinse and it helps a bunch too)

2/2022: Wellbutrin 150mg, Lexapro 20mg  3/22: Wellbutrin 150mg xl, Lexapro 10mg    4/22: Wellbutrin 150xl, Lexapro 5mg 

4/2022: Lexa 7.5mg total, Wellbutrin 150mg    5/2022: Wellb 112.5mg xl, Lexa 7.5mg (Stopped Clonazepam & Hydroxyzine- didn't take often)

6/2022: Welbutrin 111mg xl, Lexa 6.8mg          8/2022: Wellbutrin 100mg xl, Lexa 6.8mg            10/9/22: Wellbutrin 100 mg IR, Lexa 6.5 mg

11/3/22: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6.5 mg       11/30/22: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6 mg

Other Daily Meds: Singulair 10mg, Zyrtec 10mg, Spiriva Respimat inhaler.  Rarely taking: OTC pain relievers, Diclofenac, Cyclobenzaprine, anti acids

SupplementsFish oil 1300mg, Nigella oil, Mag Glycinate 200mg, Probiotics 30 billion, 1/5 dose prenatals, Melatonin .38mg, (Reishi, Lion's Mane & psilocybin microdosing by cycles)

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, DazzlingCold said:

Does Florasone work for you for allergy related itching?

Q:  Do you mean Flonase?

If yes, see the 2 following quotes:

On 4/6/2012 at 4:09 AM, Altostrata said:

My allergy symptoms, though, are apparently too stubborn to kill. I use fluticasone (Flonase) nasal spray and Pataday eye drops during allergy season -- spring and fall for me.

UPDATE: Since 2012, I've changed to ketotifen eye drops and azelastine nasal spray -- they are non-steroidal. Steroidal drops and sprays can advance cataracts or glaucoma.

AND

On 7/11/2020 at 1:58 PM, Altostrata said:

Flonase is a steroid, so ????

Azelastine by prescription is a nasal spray that doesn't have a steroid in it. You might want to try that instead and see if this settles down.

If no, see the following search results for Florasone

Florasone Eczema Cream is a cortisone-free, maximum strength cream for itching, eczema, inflammation and rashes, safe for long-term treatment. Its active ingredient comes from a flowering tropical vine used medicinally for centuries and now available in the United States as a natural alternative to cortisone:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?q=Florasone&quick=1

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Not being allergists, we really cannot advise you on what to take for allergy-related itching. Some antihistamines, such as Zyrtec, cause rebound itching if taken inconsistently.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Tried 100mg Atarax during my benzo withdrawal, does not help at all, during the severe, early stage of the withdrawal.

Before 2020:

On and off various different antidepressants, antipsychotics, benzodiazepines.

2020: Sertraline, Lithium, Clonazepam
2021 May: Tried to taper, doctor confused withdrawal with relapse, all drugs were reinstated.

2021: Lamotrigine was added for mood instability, Zolpidem for sleep, Risperidone for Treatment-resistant OCD

2022 (Currently): Sertraline(200mg), Lithium(400mg reduced from 800mg; Rebound Anxiety, Otherwise Okay), Risperidone(0.5mg reduced from 1mg), Lamotrigine(100mg), Clonazepam(2mg), Zolpidem(10mg) 

Excessive use of Nicotine(Inhaled, not Smoked) and Caffeine.

I intend to keep the sertraline and lamotrigine for a while and get rid of the rest, gradually, hopefully.

19 minutes ago, panther771 said:

Tried 100mg Atarax during my benzo withdrawal, does not help at all, during the severe, early stage of the withdrawal.

Hi @panther771! I think you just joined and there’s a lot to read to prepare to even think and plan for the future of the tapering. I read some if this thread and saw a part where they talk about inconsistent use of antihistamines during WD. Our nervous systems are super extra sensitive right now and meds may affect us a lot and in different ways than before. I used to take atarax/hydroxizine as well “as needed”. From what I have read, I am not a Doctor, antihistamines are the precursors of antidepressants (AD). Im wasn’t sure myself if I should do without them as they weren’t daily or of I should start taking them routinely. I did away  with them, but can’t even share because I don’t know the answer. Apparently, antihistamines and bunch of other drugs mess/touch/act on/affect our nervous system. I don’t know what else to say but share that. I wish I could post threads or look then up and quote them here for yoi but Im limited to my phone as I don’t own a computer. Best of luck and do go as slow as possible. I did my first dose cut this year too harshly and im holding indefinitely until I learn more about this and it is clear to me as to how to go about it.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, lavenderburning said:

Finally, about the Benadryl/DPH ( . . . . ) - I was taking it "as needed," which ended up being once or twice a day, often when I felt a panic attack coming on or at night if I was having intrusive thoughts and couldn't sleep. I took either 25 or 50mg depending on what I felt like I needed at the time. I knew it wasn't good for me, but it was all I had at the time so I just put up with the awful side effects. The main thing was that it made me very sleepy, it didn't even calm my anxiety, just dulled it and made it harder for my brain to process. If most drugs are like a lobotomy, this was like having my skull smashed with a rock. I just felt sooo empty most of the time, which back then was preferable to the alternative, although now my goals have changed! I actually took the drug, DPH, in its form as a sleep-aid, not as allergy relief, but it's all the same thing, they just charged more for the kind marketed towards allergies. The effects lasted a really long time (if I took it in the afternoon I would wake up extra groggy the next day) and gave me horrible brain fog. It was really hard to concentrate on anything and my reaction time was horrible (I should not have been driving).

I finally decided to quit when I read that taking too much DPH was linked to early onset dementia. Although it's non addictive, I had kind of an emotional dependence on it since at that point I was stuck in a really difficult environment that I had no control over, and DPH was an easy way to mentally escape that. It got easier to stop using after I started talk therapy and got better at calming myself, combatting intrusive thoughts, and preventing SH episodes. It was hard to give it up, but now I don't touch it, don't even take Benadryl for allergies, which is probably overkill but I sometimes catch myself being tempted to take some again and then I'm glad I don't keep it around. My memory is still not what it was before I started taking DPH, which makes me so sad, but I'm glad I stopped as soon as I could. My prescriber and therapist both recommended that I try an antihistamine instead of an SSRI when I told them that I had been taking DPH because they assumed that meant it was working for me, but I insisted on avoiding them. I just hate the way they make me feel and never want to touch them again. I do think it's fascinating that antihistamines can work as antidepressants and antianxiety meds, and it wasn't an accident that I was taking them that way - I did my research when looking for otc drugs to take in place of prescription drugs and that seemed like the best option. I'm just lucky that I didn't go for cough syrup with DXM or codeine because that could have been a lot worse. 

As far as PMDD goes, I totally know where you're coming from! I still have some off days that I can tie back to that, but at least for me, birth control has been amazing. I take it without a break and it has been amazing. That's one drug I'm actually happy to be on!

@lavenderburning

Thank you for sharing about your experiences with diphenhydramine. This will be very helpful to many people.

I've reposted your story here in the antihistamine thread so more people find it. 

Edited by Ariel

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

There are two forms of Hydroxyzine. Hydroxyzine Hcl is the one for anxiety & sleep. (Hydroxyzine pamoate is for itching & allegies.

It’s been okay for me but I only take it when my toes are over the ledge. Mileage varies, maybe once or twice a week to once a month to never.

Can’t win dept:

DANGEROUS during pregnancy! Abrupt discontinuation from regular (heavy?) use is psychosis. So yes, it’s not addictive but uses the same neural pathways as, say, atypical antipsychotics. Anecdotal records of tardive dyskinesia after only 7.5 months. Tinnitus!

Rapid onset. Wouldn’t life be wonderful without…side effects!

CJ

Bangkok

Doc is not God spelled backwards!

Mirtazapine 30mg 2003-February 2022

Vortioxetine 10mg December 2021

Quetiapine 12.5mg - 25mg - 50mg - 75mg January-March 2022

Trazodone 50mg 2003-present

Alprazolam 1 mg August 2019-present

On 6/11/2022 at 12:48 AM, unblocktheplanet said:

There are two forms of Hydroxyzine. Hydroxyzine Hcl is the one for anxiety & sleep. (Hydroxyzine pamoate is for itching & allegies.

It’s been okay for me but I only take it when my toes are over the ledge. Mileage varies, maybe once or twice a week to once a month to never.

Can’t win dept:

DANGEROUS during pregnancy! Abrupt discontinuation from regular (heavy?) use is psychosis. So yes, it’s not addictive but uses the same neural pathways as, say, atypical antipsychotics. Anecdotal records of tardive dyskinesia after only 7.5 months. Tinnitus!

Rapid onset. Wouldn’t life be wonderful without…side effects!

CJ

Bangkok

lol yesssss it would!! I appreciate the information! Very interesting!

• 6 months later...

I am about 2 years since taking fluoxetine. I still have quite a few symptoms persisting. I tried taking benedryl the other night. My tinnitus went through the roof and I feel like I am back in the first year of withdrawals were I never get sleep ques. Has anyone else had these symptoms when taking benedryl in withdrawals?

Fluoxetine 10 mg for 2 months

Fluoxetine 25mg for 4 years

Fluoxetine 10 mg for a few months

Fluoxetine zero

Brain zaps

Back up to Fluoxetine 10mg

Zero Fluoxetine for 4 months - After 4 months extreme withdrawal symptoms surfaced

Sertraline 25 mg for 4 weeks - couldn't stabilize. 

Fluoxetine 10mg then 5mg 2 weeks couldn't stabilize

Fluoxetine zero - Experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms since 4/2021

• 1 month later...

Can taking antihistamines slow down or mess up antidepressant withdrawal recovery?

-I was on antidepressants from 2016 to 2022, with short breaks in between. Some of the antidepressants I was on include escitalopram, venlafaxine. I was on each of them for several months if not longer.

-Most recently on sertraline/zoloft: March 2022 - August 2022.

-Sertraline 5mg: November 2022 - December 2022.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy