Antihistamines for withdrawal insomnia (diphenhydramine, doxylamine, hydroxyzine)

On 5/24/2019 at 11:14 AM, GiaK said:

Here are some posts that deal with insomnia: https://beyondmeds.com/?s=insomnia

there are LOTS of them. 

So on the first post it's says that taking an anti-histamine for too long can go paradoxical. How many days in a row can you take it before that happens? Because I used it last night, cause I was awake for two days straight during what I'm assuming is a wave. 

Also so I read your story on madinamerica about how you recovered from being on over 30 drugs. Do you think there is hope that I can recover? Considering I was on a lot of psych meds while my brain was still developing at the age of 11. I was started on ADHD, and anti-depressants when I was 11, then ended up stopping celexa abruptly when I was 21. Which I didn't know could be withdrawal at the time. So I trusted psychiatrists for over a year and ended up going on at least 9-10 different medications.

they were Prozac, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Trazodone, an MAOI called EMSam, Lexapro, Rexulti, Buspar. Also I was on Ritalin, Concerta, Adderal, and Vyvanse as kid until I was 18. I also smoked a lot of weed in high school. So at this point I don't know if I can recover.

Drugs I have been on- Vyvanse 30mg, Adderal, citalopram 30mg, Zoloft 20mg, rexulti 10mg,Wellbutrin, Lexapro 20mg, buspar, Prozac 20mg, Trazodone 50mg, Ritalin 20mg.

some of them I can't remember doses for. 

was on on Zoloft, Ritalin, and adderal between the ages of 11-13. Then I was on Celexa and Vyvanse, between the ages of 13-21. Don't remember exact dates. 

Then when I went off the celexa and Vyvanse abruptly and went on all of the other medications. Between the ages of 21 and 22. 

I saw psychiatrist for about 3 months and was put on most of them on and off. I think it was the other SSRI's besides celexa and Zoloft , buspar, Wellbutrin, and rexulti. 

Then I went inpatient a few times after that where it was diagnosed as a recurrence of depression and went on and off medications like celexa, Trazodone, and most recently about 3-4 weeks ago EMSam. I have been completely off medication since than.

supplements- magnesium 250mg, and 2 omega 3's. 

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Altostrata

• GiaK

• lalala

• Nadia

Top Posters In This Topic

Bobblehead

I found Doxylamine worked better than Diphenhydramine. Doxylamine has a longer half life.

Diphenhydramine gave me side effects, mostly just felt lousy the next day with a stuffed up nose. Its sedative effects only lasted a few weeks before it stopped working and it only put me to sleep for a 2-3 hours at most. I had to take 75mg to get an effect.

Doxylamine gave me no side effects and worked for much longer, about 4 months but then its sedative effects started to fade. This one put me to sleep for  3-5 hours most of the time. I took 25mg.

I found both to be very powerful anxiolytics, but slow acting, usually took over an hour before I felt their effect. Their anxiolytic effects never faded but perhaps they would have if I used them for longer periods of time.

2004 - 2020: Olanzapine 40mg for schizophrenia (Started to taper in 2016, completely off December 2020, still have withdrawals)

2004 - present: Lorazepam/Clonazepam 1mg as needed, rarely use them

2004 - 2012: Venlafaxine 75mg for depression

2008 - present: Metformin 2000mg for diabetes

2008 - 2013: Lipitor 40mg for high cholesterol

2008 - 2018: Bezalip 400mg for high triglycerides

2013 - present: Crestor 40mg, 20mg and now 10mg for high cholesterol

2016 - present: Forxiga 10mg for diabetes

2020 - present: Lurasidone 60mg for schizophrenia

2020 - present: Various supplements (100mg 5-HTP, 100mg l-theanine, 500mg GABA, Jamieson Herbal Complex (Relax and Sleep), 500mg Vitamin C, 400 IU Vitamin D, 12.5mg Zinc picolinate , 5mg Melatonin, CalmAid, 10mg CBD, 100mg l-theanine)

I've tried some other drugs short term but discontinued them early due to side effects. I can't remember all their names, antidepressants and antipsychotics, was only on them for a week or so.