MrMiyagi: 20+ years Effexor XR

MrMiyagi

Hello everyone,❤️

I am a 36 year old male.

Today I will be sharing my journey through withdrawing my over 20 years use of Effexor xr 150mg. I was first giving Effexor for depression caused by a separation anxiety. This was during my high school years wile I struggled with feelings of social phobia. Effexor seemed to blunt just about any fears and anxiety I had for a number of years but as time went on more and more side effects emerged some very scary. I tollirated most of sides just from the fear of withdrawal. I had previously had failed at least 3 failed attempts and one cold turkey in 2003 for 6 months unaware of what was happening to me both physically and mentally. Doctors were clueless and just represcibed the Effexor after that 6 month ordeal indefinitely.

Fast foward 2016 a had gone under a few surgical procedures for a lumbar disc herniation with the last two resulting in a fusion. Around that time 2017 2018 I was having more and more increasing side effects from effexor and felt it was no longer working. I would have exercise intolerance,moments of narcolepsy type episode's, increased nerve pain. Visual snow, poor circulation diagnosed as Reynolds syndrome and more.

I decided to seek help in disscontinuing effexor and was given an option to try to reduce from 150mg to 115.5mg immediately regretted as I could not drive my vision was on a rolorcoaster and I was having moments of just needing to pass out. So I went back to 150mg. 

Fast forward a few weeks my physciatrist introduced zoloft at a low dose and had me try again. At this time I was determined to muscle through. During a six month cross taper to zoloft max 100mg dose. My Final dose 37.5mg of effexor was February 20, 2020 and the withdrawl have been dibilitating waves and windows ever since. Lost job, home and hoping to keep my family around.

Things seemed to have gone terribly wrong on July 12, 2020. On June 13, 2020 i dropped the zoloft to 50mg. One month later I was hit with an inability to walk or maintain any strength. I decided that day to updose back to 100mg zoloft. The days that followed were complete hell and multiple ER visits. Parkasins symptoms bobbing head neck weakness studdering speech spastic gait, spine spasticity, calf muscle cramp and faciculationts just a nightmare. One of the last ER visits left me with a diagnosis of post lateral sclerosis to be determined I guess because most my weakness was in my left side.

New medications added since July included 5mg Valium twice per day and 2mg tizanadine or Zanaflex 3x a day I reduced two weeks later  to only 2 times a day for the sake of staying awake. I have been bedridden since July after that episode.

Waves and windows still apparent but very much less because of all the other medications. 

Psychiatrist is continuing the withdrawal plan keeping the other medication to reduce symptoms. She feels I may have had an adverse reaction or serotonin syndrome.

Holding on to hope and my faith you guys are not alone 🙏 ❤ 

Present Dosing Regimen:

Oct 9
[v] 7am
50mg Zoloft
5mg Valium
[v] 12pm
5mg Valium
(v] 3pm
1mg Zanaflex( mod. note- tizanidine, muscle relaxant)
[v] 8pm
2mg Zanaflex

Effexor Xr 150mg for 22years, discontinued from 37.5 mg February 2020

Discontinued because of Increasing side effects -
Anhedonia. Blurry vision, exercise intolerance, weird adrenal fatigue episodes, increased anxiety, left sided weakness extending to feet, increased nerve pain, weird zoom Out episodes.

Edited by manymoretodays
removed long list, copied and hidden, added date and dose to EffexorXR bolded statement, I hope I got that right

2001-2019 Effexor XR 150mg Cross to Zoloft 100mg.

2003-2004 CT Effexor XR 150

09/18/2020 Zoloft 100mg CT Switch Paxil 20mg /Valium 10mg

2020 Paxil 20mg /Valium 10mg/Gabapentin 900mg.

2021 Paxil 20mg /Valium 6mg /Gabapentin 600mg.

Currently:

04/14/2022 Paxil 20mg to 15mg 25% reduction/Valium 3mg/Gabapentin 900mg/Fludrocortisone .01mg 

Paxil: Tablet/Liquid Switch 10% Monthly Drops

5/16 Paxil Liquid 7.4ml/ Valium 3mg/ Gabapentin 900mg, 6/1 Paxil Liquid 6.66ml/ Valium 3mg/ Gabapentin 900mg 6/18 "Switch back to tablets" paxil 10mg+1.66ml/Valium 3mg/Gabapentin 900mg

SupplementsFish Oil, Melatonin 1.5mg, Luracidin.

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

• manymoretodays changed the title to MrMiyagi: 20+ years Effexor XR

Thank you @manymoretodays I have added my signature wish i had more room this is what I was aiming for. 

2000 Effexor XR 150mg

2019  July 4th - Added 25mg Zoloft Cross/taper 

2019 September 7th - Effexor 75mg/Zoloft 50mg

2019 October 16th - Effexor 75mg/Zoloft 100mg.

2019 November 19th - Effexor 37.5mg/Zoloft

2020 February 20th - Effexor Free!! 

2020 November 20th -100mg Zoloft

2020 June 14th - 50mg Zoloft/5mg Valium x2/ 10mg Oxycotin x2 slowly lowered until valium and oxycotin

2020 July 1 - 50mg  Zoloft only!! 

2020 July 15 - 100mg Zoloft 🙄

2020 July 17 - 100mg Zoloft/5mg Valium x2/2mg Tizanadine x3

2020 August 6th - 75mg Zoloft/5mg Valium x2/2mg Tizanadine x2 -Lowered

2020 August 31st - 62.5mg Zoloft/5mg Valium x2/2mg Tizanadine x2

2020 September 15 - 50mg Zoloft/5mg Valium x2/2mg Tizanadine x2 -  Current as of October 10th 2020 

"Calm seas never made a good sailor"

Franklin D Roosevelt 

Currently:

04/14/2022 Paxil 20mg to 15mg 25% reduction/Valium 3mg/Gabapentin 900mg/Fludrocortisone .01mg 

5/16 Paxil Liquid 7.4ml/ Valium 3mg/ Gabapentin 900mg, 6/1 Paxil Liquid 6.66ml/ Valium 3mg/ Gabapentin 900mg 6/18 "Switch back to tablets" paxil 10mg+1.66ml/Valium 3mg/Gabapentin 900mg

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome and hi MrMiyagi,

And I take it your name is based on the fictional character in "The Karate Kid".  That's cool.

I do want to get you started today.  I am really sorry for what you have been through to date,  loss of job and home...... again, so sorry.  And glad that your family is hanging in there with you.

Thank you on getting the signature done.  That's helpful.  And you did fine with it.   I think I will remove that long list from your first post now.  I'll save it though.  And then, just put your daily dosing and times, from October 9th , into your initial post.

Your post above this one is helpful as well.

We take a harm reduction approach to coming off AD's(antidepressants and other drugs).

I can start you off with some links:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

and then we base each taper drop on the previous dosage, and so you can imagine, that it requires a much more judicious approach than the ones that you have tried before.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

much of it due to autonomic nervous system dys-regulation.

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal checklist

You can look over this list of Dr. Glenmullen's, and you'll see that WD symptoms can and do run through all systems, yet are often not indicative of new illness- either psychological or physical.  I think some of your symptoms could certainly be due to WD(withdrawal), although perhaps not all of them, as it does appear that you have had some medical issues going on as well. 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.

I'm glad that you have stayed put with the 50 mg dose of Zoloft.  I think that surely, your abrupt WD's and large tapers have been a factor in how you are feeling now.  I'm not so sure about serotonin syndrome going on now.  Here's what we've got on that:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/5711-serotonin-syndrome-or-serotonin-toxicity/

It's possible that you might have experienced something on the serotonin syndrome, back when you were crossing over.  It's just not real clear to me right now.

It might be cummulative WD, which your doctor may or may not be able to wrap his head around, and/or adverse reactions to your other drugs, particularly the Valium.  Please don't just jump off the Valium though.  We also stand by a judicious taper from benzo's.

And I don't think that the crossover to Zoloft really helped, or worked very well.

All for now.  I just wanted to get you started and approved.  We can have Alto take a look too, soon, to see if there are any other suggestions that might help you, even a little bit, right now.  In the meantime, please just stay put with your present dosing.  We call this a HOLD.

Welcome.  And best.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

@manymoretodays thank you for your time in helping with the post adjustments and recommendations link I appreciate it. 

Currently:

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

• Moderator Emeritus

One more thing you could do for us now, too.

Go ahead and link up to Drugs.com

And plug your current drugs into the interaction checker.

If you can link on back to that here, that would be great, either that or copy and paste it in a reply.

And again, my heart goes out to you MrM.  Such an ordeal you've been through.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Im curiouse if i was in withdrawls wile on Effexor the last few years perhaps the last 6 years as side effects seemed to be increasing in that time. Also some of the symptoms I previously acknowledged as side effects seemed to be exacerbated x10 during discontinuing Effexor.

Since my previous crash on July 15 2020 after reducing Zoloft from 100mg to 50mg in one month I still suffer calf muscles twitching they scare me. Also I sleep alot during the day and exercise intolerance has me thinking I have developed CFS. If I try to much I get stuck in a long wave. So here I lay in bed not sure what to do?  To many medications to many switches and not enough time to stabilize is my guess. 

Today I split my afternoon valium dose from 5mg to 2.5mg hoping maybe the CFS maybe do to the valium and tizanadine. 

Planing on switching liquid Zoloft and commencing 10% reduction. Only problem is there's no way to know if im having an adverse reaction to it and should there for go quicker ? Lmao what a mess plus add the potracted Effexor withdrawls😒

Any how feel free to leave any suggestions, thoughts, opinions. 

Currently:

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

Interactions between your drugs

Moderate

diazePAM  tiZANidine

Applies to: Valium (diazepam), tizanidine

Using tiZANidine together with diazePAM may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. In addition, these medications may also have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Moderate

sertraline  tiZANidine

Applies to: Zoloft (sertraline), tizanidine

Using sertraline together with tiZANidine can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a relatively rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or heart palpitations during treatment with these medications, whether together or alone. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Minor

diazePAM  sertraline

Applies to: Valium (diazepam), Zoloft (sertraline)

Consumer information for this minor interaction is not currently available. Some minor drug interactions may not be clinically relevant in all patients. Minor drug interactions do not usually cause harm or require a change in therapy. However, your healthcare provider can determine if adjustments to your medications are needed.

For clinical details see professional interaction data.

No other interactions were found between your selected drugs. This does not necessarily mean no other interactions exist. Always consult your healthcare provider.

Drug and food interactions

Moderate

sertraline  food

Applies to: Zoloft (sertraline)

You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with sertraline. Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of sertraline such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Moderate

diazePAM  food

Applies to: Valium (diazepam)

Grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with diazePAM and lead to potentially dangerous side effects. Discuss the use of grapefruit products with your doctor. Do not increase or decrease the amount of grapefruit products in your diet without first talking to your doctor. Do not drink alcohol while taking diazePAM. This medication can increase the effects of alcohol. You may feel more drowsy, dizzy, or tired if you take diazePAM with alcohol. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Therapeutic duplication warnings

No warnings were found for your selected drugs.

Therapeutic duplication warnings are only returned when drugs within the same group exceed the recommended therapeutic duplication maximum.

Currently:

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, MrMiyagi said:

Today I split my afternoon valium dose from 5mg to 2.5mg hoping maybe the CFS maybe do to the valium and tizanadine. 

MrM,

That HOLD would extend to Valium as well.  As does the 10% or less tapering regimen from your total daily dose. 

If you have been on Valium now since July, you ARE dependent on Valium.  And.......you've been on 10 mg daily since July.

A benzo dependancy develops with only 2 weeks usage.  You are well beyond that now.

And a drop of 2.5 mg now of Valium, would be a 25% reduction from your daily dose.

Valium has the longest half life of all the benzos.  And so, what that equates to as far as tapering goes, is that you might not even feel that HUGE reduction, for at least a week, if not longer.  And then when you feel it, all the same goes as far as WD symptoms.........and it could be brutal once again.

I really want you to sit tight right now, with all your drugs, doses, time of taking, etc.  Give us a chance to get to know you.  Please.

Grasshopper, please do not make any changes to any of your medications right now.  Give yourself a chance to absorb some of the material here.  Be patient.  You will learn and then you will know what to do next.  Read the why taper by 10 % link,  for a better understanding of what I am saying.  Apply all that information to your benzo.  Meantime........just please HOLD!

1 hour ago, MrMiyagi said:

Im curiouse if i was in withdrawls wile on Effexor the last few years perhaps the last 6 years as side effects seemed to be increasing in that time. Also some of the symptoms I previously acknowledged as side effects seemed to be exacerbated x10 during discontinuing Effexor.

You would not be having WD without having made any changes to your Effexor.  Yes, you could have been experiencing some of the adversities, or side effects that go with long term usage of any of these drugs.  It is uncanny, yes, how side effects and WD symptoms ARE sometimes very similar. 

Ultimately, our hope would be that the doctors prescribing this awful stuff begin to take more responsibility for de-prescriping as well.  And go more gently with the de-prescribing than they do now.  For now, however, we are thankful and grateful that people like Alto have created sites like this, not only so we.......those of us affected by these harmful drugs, can support each other while doing safe WD's and after, but to amass data too, and begin to disseminate it, and join with others to do so, around WD, and safer practices.

Easy does it grasshopper.  Please don't mess with your Valium right now.

And okay, now you can be MrM again.

You can also use the Drug.com site to look up and learn more about individual drugs.  Just use the top search box.  And yah, you are living in a bit of a typical benzo usage haze.  CFS like symptoms included.  Also those included in AD WD.   Much better to go slow like turtle now- than make any  big changes.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

have a great Sunday

Edited by manymoretodays

Thanks @manymoretodays for checking that im going back to my original dose valium 5mg 2x day.  I Just took that 2.5mg now.

Appreciate your time. 

Currently:

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

• Moderator Emeritus
On 10/10/2020 at 12:41 PM, MrMiyagi said:

Oct 9
[v] 7am
50mg Zoloft
5mg Valium
[v] 12pm
5mg Valium
(v] 3pm
1mg Zanaflex( mod. note- tizanidine, muscle relaxant)
[v] 8pm
2mg Zanaflex

Is this ^ your usual dosing pattern?  5 mg Valium at 7 am and 12 pm?

If so, and it was me, yes, I'd go ahead and take the rest now,  ET 18: 30 16:30.  2.5 mg Valium.

You may want to start moving that second dose of 5 mg by an hour a day, until it's spaced out a bit further from the first dose.  By doing just an hour a day, it's gentler on the nervous system.  And so after 6-7 days, you'd be at 5 mg Valium at 7 am, and then try and get the second dose at 6 pm.  Do it slowly though.  Tomorrow you'd be taking your second dose of 5 mg at 1 pm, next day 2 pm, and so forth.

Try and keep some notes too, and keep us updated.   Keep daily notes of drugs and drug schedules to track patterns and progress.

Edited by manymoretodays
egads, corrected ET!

Great suggestion I agree 

Tomorrow I will start daily spacing until I reach a Regiment of. 

Valium 5mg  8am

Valium 5mg  6pm

Have a blessed Sunday  🙏 

Currently:

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

• Administrator

Hello, MrM.

What effect did adding the tizanadine have?

On 10/10/2020 at 11:41 AM, MrMiyagi said:

Fast forward a few weeks my physciatrist introduced zoloft at a low dose and had me try again. At this time I was determined to muscle through. During a six month cross taper to zoloft max 100mg dose. My Final dose 37.5mg of effexor was February 20, 2020 and the withdrawl have been dibilitating waves and windows ever since. Lost job, home and hoping to keep my family around.

You say you have had these symptoms ever since going off Effexor. These symptoms or other odd symptoms have been continuous since that time?

Did you ever feel better on Zoloft?

Have you discussed these timelines with your current psychiatrist?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi @Altostrata

Yes I have had most all of the symptoms since tapering the Effexor XR but also had increaseing side effects the last few years prior to the taper. Adding the zoloft may have worked slightly to calm some of the anxiety and mental depression parts during the taper but did nothing for the physical withdrawal itself.

Things have been mostly waves and very breif windows. Increased physical problems started July 15, 2020 after I reinstated zoloft to 100mg after a one month drop from 50mg. I did this because a few days prior to July 15th I had extream fatigue with difficulty standing walking and out of fear. This is when the parkasins like symptoms or akathasia kicked in but slowly abated a few weeks later with the added valium and tizanadine. The tinazadine seems to benefit the back spasms with no real side effects other than dry mouth and slight calming effect that I can tell of. 

MY cervical mri is clear along with  thoracic  mri. I have seen two more Neurologist since the ER visit who don't see any symptoms that would prompt further testing for anything. But of course I did see them when I wasn't studdering, twitching and bobing around. 

I have spoken with my PCP who thinks it may had just been a reaction from messing with dosages or adverse reaction but he hasn't a clue all blood work looks great.

Followed up with my psychiatrist who was confused and is sure its not withdrawls from the Effexor as that is out of my system after 7 months... like that matters 🙄. So her thoughts are serotonin syndrome from the quick Up dose or and adverse reaction. 

Currently her plan is to discontinue Zoloft at the 12.5mg rate a month wile maintaing 10mg valium until im off Zoloft. Im not sure they are very good at this practice originally after my ER visits they changed me to another psychiatrist who is now handleing the case. As far as my medication timelines I asked if I could email them to her but she said it was not necessary. So I just gave them verbally over the Phone/Televisit 

I have looked into one suggested phsciatrist from this forum who is close Dr.Ernest Shaw M.D. kingston, NY but they currently are not excepting new patients. I did leave a message just incase.

Currently:

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

10/12/20

(8am) 5mg Valium 50mg Zoloft

Thankfully I have been in a bit of a window since yesterday (6pm) i actually  stayed up until 3am to enjoy less anhedonia, less dissociation, less depression, less anxiety, less nerve pain, better energy level, less calf muscle twitching, less visual snow, and increased scense of smell, increased  strength & postural awareness - better gait, less spasm/rigidity especially in spinal muscles and legs, less sore eyes, less overall pain. It amazes me the amount of symptoms that can abate at any moment.

This update is not intended to boast I know so many never see a window during this process 🙏

(9am) returning symptoms or just side effects. heavy sore eyes, Spaced out.

(9:30am) cold chills extremities, slight chest heavyness, spacey still but got up and showered now back in bed.

(10:30am) less spaced out but still fatigued only. Slept 2.5Hrs.

(1:30pm) Valium 5mg

(2:30pm) still have chills mainly extremities, slight increased neck  rigidity,throat tightness, chest heavyness,calf muscles twitching, left-sided weakness from ribcage to hip,  Increasing thoughts of guilt, depression. Back in a wave🏄‍♂️

(3pm)  Zanaflex 2mg
(Withdrawl Normal)

(9pm) Zanaflex 2mg

Currently:

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

@Altostrata Im sticking around to give as much information as possible to hopefully help others and find suggestions. I will also be looking forward to adding a success story lord willing.  

Currently:

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

• Administrator

Were diazepam and tizanadine added simultaneously?

Please print out your drug interactions report

and give it to your psychiatrist. Ask her which drugs may be conflicting via your P450 liver enzymes.

You might also ask her why you are taking 2 muscle relaxers at the same time -- diazepam and tizanadine.

She should be doing something to earn the money you pay her. As you know, we don't get paid for the complex work your specialists should be doing.

That said, it seems to me you have Effexor withdrawal syndrome and possibly adverse effects from both Effexor and Zoloft and God knows what else.

You might ask your psychiatrist what her plan might be to back you out of this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Ok thanks for your time Alto ill be speaking with her soon. Much appreciated 

Currently:

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Were diazepam and tizanadine added simultaneously?

Would appreciate your answer to this.

Please let us know what your psychiatrist says.

30 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Would appreciate your answer to this.

Please let us know what your psychiatrist says.

My psychiatrist added valium 5mg 2x on (June 13, 2020) to help with reducing Zoloft withdrawl as I dropped to 50mg. I lowered the valium until (June 30th 2020) last dose.

(July 11, 2020) extreme weakness and fatigue 

(July 13, 2020) got scared upped dose of Zoloft back to 100mg.

(All crazy symptoms started)

My ER visit on (July 15, 2020) Tinazadine was added and my primary care physician is continuing the renewals he is also aware I am on valium and Zoloft. I also contacted my psychiatrist the following day and she added the valium again.

On (July 16, 2020)

I apologize if my answers aren't brief I understand you or anyone on this website dose not get paid to take there own time to do the lazy physician's job. The website is a blessing to have even if just for brief suggestions or a good ol hang in there it'll  get better every now and then. You and the moderators are an invaluable asset and all your time, energy and work is so appreciatied.

Thank You 

Currently:

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

• Administrator

I'm confused.

15 hours ago, MrMiyagi said:

My psychiatrist added valium 5mg 2x on (June 13, 2020) to help with reducing Zoloft withdrawl as I dropped to 50mg. I lowered the valium until (June 30th 2020) last dose.

Did you go off Valium on June 30? Why did you do that?

15 hours ago, MrMiyagi said:

(July 11, 2020) extreme weakness and fatigue 

(July 13, 2020) got scared upped dose of Zoloft back to 100mg.

(All crazy symptoms started)

My ER visit on (July 15, 2020) Tinazadine was added

It didn't occur to anyone that 100mg Zoloft was too much, and responsible for your crazy symptoms?

Most likely, you are taking tinazadine unnecessarily. It may be interacting with your other drugs in a bad way. It will need to be tapered.

Yes I tapered the valium originally for fear of dependence and was only hoping to use it to Cushin the drop in Zoloft. (June, 13th to June, 30th)

The ER neurologist was adamant it couldn't be antidepressant related. So suggested I get checked for PLS or ALS with another neurologist. I have since seen 2 neurologist who did not see signs.

As far as my primary care doctor I believe he thinks it was a quick jump after a brief adjustment period of 50mg and could be the cause but recommended to speak with psychiatrist. Also I made an appointment  with my PCP to ask about a reduction plan for tizanadine. 

Now for my psychiatrist the original one I was seeing for the Effexor cross tapper has disappeared  after my ER visit and I am in the hands of an NP at that practice. She added back the valium and had me lower the Zoloft in fear of serotonin syndrome. So I'm at 50mg now and holding my appointment with her is next week on 20th.

Thank you for responding Alto ❤

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

I'm confused.

Did you go off Valium on June 30? Why did you do that?

It didn't occur to anyone that 100mg Zoloft was too much, and responsible for your crazy symptoms?

Most likely, you are taking tinazadine unnecessarily. It may be interacting with your other drugs in a bad way. It will need to be tapered.

Currently:

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

• Administrator

It's not a surprise that no one knows what they're doing. Doctors very poorly understand psychiatric drugs.

In what form is the tizanidine? Capsule, tablet? If tablet, is it scored?

It can be compounded into a liquid.

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

36 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

It's not a surprise that no one knows what they're doing. Doctors very poorly understand psychiatric drugs.

In what form is the tizanidine? Capsule, tablet? If tablet, is it scored?

It can be compounded into a liquid.

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

They are 2mg scored tablets and yes I don't feel doctors really care anymore just an assembly line of patients.

Currently:

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

• Administrator

How do you feel before and after you take tizanidine?

Before I take it im slightly anxious and muscles are  stiff afterward I feel less anxious and my neck and back muscles relax  but not so much that it makes me tired. 

27 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

How do you feel before and after you take tizanidine?

I think I feel worse after Valium and Zoloft.

10/13/2020

(12am-1:15am) physical - knees weak thighs tight, electrical current feeling in legs, persistent fasticulations/twitching in calf muscles.
Symptoms slowly abating (1:30am)

(3:00am) sleep
(8:30am) Took Zoloft 50mg Valium 5mg
(10:30am) heavy dry eyes zoning out/nap
(12:00pm) woke still tired
(2:00pm) took Valium 5mg feeling guilt, shame, depression thinking maybe im not trying hard enough. Guess just fear of over exertion and causing increased withdrawals. My mother stopped by suggested I needed different or more medication. That was a bummer but no one likes seeing people suffer.
(3:00pm) Tried tizanadine 1mg😑 up and showered talk with my father for a few he has been helping with babysitting my four year old son. He always calms me down suggested to take it one day at a time and focus on the windows that was comforting to hear.
(4:00pm) sensory disturbances fuzzy feeling hands and feet otherwise withdrawl normal.
(4:30pm) exhausted
(6:00pm) Headach neck and upper back tension pain,  twitching calf muscles.
(7:00pm) tingling feelings throuout body anxious feeling, stiff neck at base of skull area.
(8:00pm) took tizanadine 2mg.
(8:30pm) less anxious muscles seem relaxed. But could just be withdrawl from zoloft still

Currently:

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

• Administrator

Why are you taking Zoloft and Valium at the same time in the morning? Why do you go to sleep at 3 a.m.?

Why are you taking Valium at 2 p.m.?

55 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Why are you taking Zoloft and Valium at the same time in the morning? Why do you go to sleep at 3 a.m.?

Why are you taking Valium at 2 p.m.?

I just assume to take it that way as it described twice a day only on the bottle but no designated time and the mornings were always the worst for me. I have just started slowly increasing the time of second dose to reach 7pm. To achieve more spacing between the doses as Manymoretodays suggested.

The trouble sleeping at night just started a few weeks ago I assume its because I sleep alot during the day because of feeling so terrible. 

Or just more Zoloft acute withdrawls ? I'm reaching the one month mark from reducing to 50mg. The One month mark always seems to be the worst for me even when I was tapering Effexor. 

Going to schedule with a better neurologist tomorrow also just to check over some more things. I still worry about MS so perhaps a third opinion would put me at better rest. 

Currently:

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

• Administrator

The NP will never be able to figure out anything about your drug situation.

You may be taking too much in brakes (diazepam and tizanidine). To see what your drugs are doing, it would be best to take them on a different daily schedule.

When you take 2 drugs at the same time, you won't be able to tell the effects of either of them. Please move Zoloft later by a half-hour each day until you're taking it at noon.

Valium has a half-life of a couple of days. It's best to take the 2 doses 12 hours apart, but not at the same time as tizanidine. Please make the change in Zoloft first. Please let us know how you're doing.

Just got off the phone with the receptionist who spoke with the NP. She suggested switching my morning doses of Zoloft and Valium to nighttime. 🙄 apperantly its like they don't care about side effects but just treat them by sleeping it off. 

It makes absolutely more sense to do as you suggested. I am ignoring the direction of the NP for fear of her lack of knowledge and competences. Thank you for your suggestions Alto❤😇

(8am) Valium 5mg.
Slowly moving Zoloft 50mg. To (Noon)
(3pm) Tinazadine 1mg.
(8pm) Valium 5mg.
(10pm) Tinazadine 2mg.

Continue symptom logs

Currently:

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

10/14/2020
(8:00am) took zoloft, valium, headache. Ate bacon egg & cheese beagle
(9:00am) little more energy then usual.
(9:30am)Sinus type Headache, Neck cramped.
(11:00am) cognitive decline, exhausted, sensory disturbances.
(12:00PM) Headache
(12:30) Window
(1:30) drank veggie smoothie, raynaud's syndrome.
(3pm) Tizanadine 1mg.
(4:15pm) calf muscles twitching
(4:30) slept  until 6pm
(6:15pm) ate mac and cheese and some fresh broccoli
(6:30pm)  took Valium 5mg. Earlier then hoped for i had a wave of anxiety hopefully  get to 8pm tomorrow
Calf muscles twitching.numb feet and butt, Cortisol spike?
(10pm) Tizanadine twitching calf muscles just annoying not painful.
(11:30pm) left knee weakness, migrane
(1am) sleep

Currently:

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

• Administrator

How often do you have a headache in the morning?

5 hours ago, Altostrata said:

How often do you have a headache in the morning?

Not to often it was a newer symptom on and off for a week. Today I did not have one.

Currently:

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

• Moderator Emeritus

Yay!   No headache.

And thank you Alto!

I think I have a bit of Raynaud's as well Mr. M.  Maybe not.....I'm not certain, but I do have a tendency towards bouts of my feet getting a bit discolored.  And a history of the darn smoking.....ugh......getting there on my big quit.......tapering, tapering down of course!

Anyway, best,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

18 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Yay!   No headache.

And thank you Alto!

I think I have a bit of Raynaud's as well Mr. M.  Maybe not.....I'm not certain, but I do have a tendency towards bouts of my feet getting a bit discolored.  And a history of the darn smoking.....ugh......getting there on my big quit.......tapering, tapering down of course!

Anyway, best,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Yes no Headache as of yet today🙌

My raynaud's syndrome seems alot better then when on Effexor. The winters were horrible. We shall see what this winter is like.

For now they have much improved I believe the increase in norepinephrine was causing it along with vasospasm I was diagnosed with. Might be the same for you as well?

I guess only time will tell.

I keep praying especially for everyone who took time to help me out and listen 🙏

Currently:

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

10/15/2020

(1am) Sleep
(6:15am) woke bit more energy
(8am) Valium 5mg.
(9am) Zoloft, getting tired
(10:30am) increased Anxiety, cold extremities. Needed the heat blanket.
(12:00) extream anxiety, cold extremities, stomach pain. Added coping strategy 👌
(3pm)Tizanadine 1mg
(4pm)  increase anxiety, calf muscles twitching. Added coping strategy 👌
(5:30pm) anxiety tingling cold hands
(6:30pm) slowly better
(8pm) 5mg Valium (made it to 8pm)👍
(11pm) leg pains, hip, pelvis, upper back spasm. Also found  some serious trigger points on left side spinal muscles trying to work on that.

Currently:

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

10/16/2020

(1am) Sleep
Woke up (3am)
Sleep (4:30am)
(8am) Withdrawl Normal
(9:30) Zoloft 50mg
(12:30) still stable regular Valium zoloft world. I guess we call this withdrawl normal.
(3pm)Tizanadine 1mg
(4pm)Tried my tens unit but had increase muscle spasms and tingling in hands, calf muscle twitching. Maybe to stimulating.
(5:45pm) nerve pain, increased spasticity in neck and back.
(8pm) Valium 5mg
(8:30) calf muscle fasticulatins, neck still tight.
(9pm) greatly reduced spasms.
(9:30) calf muscle fasticulations and cramp
(10pm) tinazadine 2mg.
(11pm) calf fasticulations
(12pm) Sleep

Currently:

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚