Suffering66: suffering from antipsychotic / benzo withdrawal

Suffering66

Hello all, 

Been reading this forum for the past 3 weeks as I have been struggling from heavy withdrawal post cold turkey'ing off of 2 antipsychotics (Zyprexa & Risperidone) that I have been on for just over a year. I also stopped taking Clonazepam after about 4 to 6 weeks. I realize this was a bad move but I had no real choice as the Psychiatrist I was working with will not renew my prescriptions and has since put me on Rexulti (I am also currently on Sertaline and Buspirone). 

I knew that I would be experiencing withdrawal, I just didn't know it would be this debilitating both mentally and physically it was going to be. Between the horrible insomnia, to dizziness, diarrhoea, lack of appetite, muscle fatigue, fatigue in general from not sleeping, feeling like I am suffering from a really bad hangover after I wake up, sweating, anxiety, Dissociation, clenching my jaw, and the list can go on. I feel like every single symptom one can mention I am suffering.  I truly would not wish this on anyone as it truly has kicked the s**t out of me. 

I think I am too far into quitting to go back. I am scared as hell some days. I know this was not the optimal way of stopping but there is nothing I can do about that. 

Looking for anyone to share their story about withdrawal, quitting cold turkey, symptoms, or any sort of advice or success story...just looking for a friend during this extremely difficult time. 

Thank you.

Sept 2019 - Started Olanzapine (5mg) / Risperidone (1mg) / Sertraline (100mg) / Xanax (0.5mg when needed)

August 2020 - Prescribed Buspirone (10mg)

August 15th 2020 - Prescribed Rexulti (1mg) & Clonazepam (2mg)

Sept 15th 2020 - Quit Cold Turkey the Olanzapine, Risperidone & Clonazepam 

*Feeling horrible

• ChessieCat changed the title to Suffering66: suffering from antipsychotic / benzo withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Suffering66.  I'm sorry you're feeling so bad.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Please include the dates you started and stopped the Zyprexa and Risperidone as well as the doses.

Please do the same for the Clonazepam.  Please also includes dates and doses for Sertraline, Buspirone and Rexulti.  A list format is best.  You'll need to do this on a computer rather than a phone.  Click on the following link, type in the information and press "save."

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

I'm enclosing a link to Shep's success story, which I hope will give you encouragement. She's doing very well after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs antidepressants and amphetamines.

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

I also encourage you to look at the "Success Stories" forum on our main page.  These can give you a real boost.  

Success stories: Recovery from withdrawal

As you know, you are suffering from withdrawal from the CT of the two antipsychotics and probably the benzo.  The symptoms you describe are typical withdrawal symptoms.  So that you have a better idea of what you're experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal and the healing process.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

Brain Remodelling 

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that ae single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@Gridley Thank you so much for the response as well as the links to success stories and the other information. I will read them all.

I will complete my full profile once I feel a little better. Feels a bit daunting right now. 

I look forward to jumping further and deeper into the forums as well as look to contribute a little more.

Thank you again for taking the time. 

Kind regards,

S66

Sept 2019 - Started Olanzapine (5mg) / Risperidone (1mg) / Sertraline (100mg) / Xanax (0.5mg when needed)

*Feeling horrible

Hi your not alone in your journey. I’m withdrawaling from latuda & zyprexa. I quit latuda September 12th CT. September 28th the dr tried seroquel bad reaction 29th Saphris then 30th back to zyprexa. The zyprexa didn’t respond like it did a year ago. My system is way over sensitive now. This week my Old psychiatrist pushed me over to a new one the new psychiatrist prescribe me Buspar and told me it would help. I’ve taken a total of four pills and I have quit today it sent me through the roof with extreme anxiety. I haven’t really been to sleep early since the 27th of September. The BuSpar just made the insomnia worse  i’m not going to take anymore of the stupid psychiatric drugs. I’m going to have to wean off of Ativan and Lunesta. I totally understand I know what you were going through but we’re going to make it through this together. I wasn’t really a religious person until this happened I’ve been listening to Joyce Meyers she has been helping out a lot to keep my mind busy on YouTube. There’s also an app called Hoopla that gives you free download books audio and visual. Right now on Hoopla I am reading the book anxious for nothing it’s an audiobook it is very good I do recommend it. His voice is soothing and I love the stories and I could read it over and over again. I wish you a blessed nights rest and A good day tomorrow taking it slowly and knowing there’s light at the end of the storm

2018 May gabapentin induced psychosis 

put on 5mg zyprexa tapered 

Zyprexa 

4-6 weeks 2.5 2019-2020

February 1.25 2xs a week

MARCH 11 started 40mg latuda April increased to 60mg adverse reaction fast drop from May 40mg to June stopped reinstated 20 mg July 4th  -aug 8 then stopped with no improvement. Tried to reinstate again September 8 stopped September 12. 
took 2 doses of 2.5 zyprexa a week later

doc suggested I try Seroquel 12.5 September 27. Bad experience dr suggested try Saphris the 28th Extreme Panic. Dr then suggest Zyprexa 5mg on the 30th and 1st really bad akathisia and crying depression. Told to try 2.5 on the 2nd same experience with crying and depression and akathisia. 
tried to reinstate 1/4 2.5mg October 9 woke up with extreme panic attack thought I would take one more 1/4 to help but it made it worse. 

@Pumpkingypsy Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your anxiety and struggle. It's not easy. We are certainly not alone in this fight but at times it feels very lonely and frightening. 

The last two days I felt pretty well. Nowhere near 100% but better. Today I feel pretty bad. I have anxiety today as well as feeling weak and tired. Moving around for the most part is difficult so I typically just lay all day hoping this will all go away. On one hand I am glad I stopped taking the meds, but on the other hand I am in so much distress that I feel there is no end in sight. My body feels like it's giving up. I have never felt this bad in my life. I am now approaching my 4th week of stopping the meds CT. 

Like you, I suffer from insomnia but have been taking melatonin which helps somewhat. I may be taking too much though (10mg) as I have read a couple of the posts on the forum that even 3mg might be too much. Not sure if you've tried melatonin but I would recommend it at a very low dosage. There are some great posts on melatonin within the forum. 

I will check out Joyce Meyers as well as Hoopla today. Thank you for the recommendation. 

I hope today is a better day for you and tomorrow even better. Thank you again for taking the time to write. 

S66

*Feeling horrible

• Moderator Emeritus
36 minutes ago, Suffering66 said:

I may be taking too much though (10mg) as I have read a couple of the posts on the forum that even 3mg might be too much.

That's a high dose for someone in WD. Too much melatonin can have a paradoxical effect (keep you awake).  We recommend starting with a low dose, like 0.25 and working up to the the lowest effective dose.

Melatonin for sleep 

You can get 0,3mg melatonin at this link on Amazon.

(available on Amazon)

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@Gridley Thank you for the heads up Gridley!

I will be cutting back this evening and see how I do. Hopefully I can get a solid nights sleep and not feel so bad in the morning. 

S66

*Feeling horrible

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello S66

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

I understand that you have given the info in you posts above but this will appear below every post you make, and allow the Mods to see your history at a glance.

Take care 😊

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

@Gridley @Erell Hello, I have attempted to create the signature as requested...sadly it will not save for some reason. I keep hitting save and it does not do anything. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

S66

*Feeling horrible

• Moderator Emeritus
19 minutes ago, Suffering66 said:

Any suggestions?

Are you using a phone?  You have to use a computer.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

@Gridley I'm using my laptop (Mac) and Chrome browser. No luck. 

*Feeling horrible

@Gridley Looks like my signature is showing up now. Thanks for the help!

S66

*Feeling horrible

• Moderator Emeritus
7 minutes ago, Suffering66 said:

showing up now.

It's there.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

@Gridley Thanks for the help! 

*Feeling horrible

Hi I hope your in a good hour💕🙏 I found something out today. What love been told to do for anxiety & withdrawal is take Benadryl. Well let me tell you that is worse Idea in the ******* world. Benadryl is just as bad as the antipsychotics and that’s what led me to be on an antipsychotic on the first place and I’m just now figuring it out then it gave me psychosis. I am praying for you remember try to listen to rain noises there are 10 hours of rain and thunderstorm videos on YouTube. There is a book by Rick Hansen called just one thing it is amazing in recovery. 
https://www.rickhanson.net/just-one-thing-notice-youre-all-right-right-now/

You sleep well and get better I would like to stay in touch with you and go through the process with you. We’re gonna make it it’s going to be OK day at a time and we know that the symptoms we have now are far better than the ones we had on those medications they will eventually ease up and will be back to live in life

2018 May gabapentin induced psychosis 

put on 5mg zyprexa tapered 

Zyprexa 

4-6 weeks 2.5 2019-2020

February 1.25 2xs a week

MARCH 11 started 40mg latuda April increased to 60mg adverse reaction fast drop from May 40mg to June stopped reinstated 20 mg July 4th  -aug 8 then stopped with no improvement. Tried to reinstate again September 8 stopped September 12. 
took 2 doses of 2.5 zyprexa a week later

doc suggested I try Seroquel 12.5 September 27. Bad experience dr suggested try Saphris the 28th Extreme Panic. Dr then suggest Zyprexa 5mg on the 30th and 1st really bad akathisia and crying depression. Told to try 2.5 on the 2nd same experience with crying and depression and akathisia. 
tried to reinstate 1/4 2.5mg October 9 woke up with extreme panic attack thought I would take one more 1/4 to help but it made it worse.