SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Graciebeads: Prozac withdrawal schedule?

Graciebeads

Hi,

I'm Gracie and a new member. Can't remember if I already introduced myself. LOL

Was so blessed to find your group!!! TY for being here and for letting me join.

My main question was how often do you lower Prozac dose to lower mg per day? I am lowering dose every 2 weeks... think that's cool?

Dr. & Pharmacist are NO help at all!

I am currently tapering off of Prozac... started at 60mg and am down to 25mg now. What a ride this has been as anyone reading this already knows!

The lower the dose gets, the harder the withdrawal symptoms are. I am now cutting back 2.5mg (1/4 of 10mg tablet - lowest dose made) per ...

I read to come off this stuff at 5% per decrease... At 25mg dose (my current Prozac dose) I should be lowering my dose by 1.5mg NOT 2.5mg... my doctor AND my psychiatrist both did not know what I could do to get 1.5 mg tablets for my taper... thanks, Guys!

If anyone has any ideas, I would LVE to hear from you.

And I am angry with Big Pharma for putting me through yet another withdrawal!

Hoping to get off ALL of BIG Pharma's poisons all together via eating right and becoming healthy! 

If I may add, I don't think it's OK that they release meds that have ANY side effects! GRRRR  LOL

Thx for listening to me vent. Appreicate it and feel better... thanks!

Edited by Gridley
  • ChessieCat changed the title to REAL NAME? Prozac withdrawal schedule?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SurvivingAnidepressants, Graciebeads.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly. Please include the date you started your taper from 60mg and the rate of your taper.  You'll need to use a computer rather than a telephone.  Use this link, enter your information (a list format is best) and press "save."

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

We recommend tapering no more than 10% of current (not original) dose every four weeks.  The four week time frame gives your body a chance to get accustomed to the lessened dose before the next reduction.  From your post, I'm not sure of your method of taper, but It's better to taper by a percentage of current dose than an unvarying straight drop of however-many mg. Decreasing by a straight drop accelerates the amount that you  would be decreasing each time making it rougher and rougher with each drop. Decreasing by a percentage however decelerates the amount of each drop and makes things gentler on your system.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

There are much easier and more accurate and consistent methods of tapering than cutting pills.  The vast majority of doctors know nothing about safe tapering or withdrawal or, in your case, the fact that in the U.S. Prozac comes in a prescription liquid.  This is the easiest and most accurate way to taper.  It's also possible to make your own liquid Prozac  All this is described in the following link.

Tips for tapering off fluoxetine (Prozac)

If you are experiencing significant withdrawal symptoms, that means you're tapering too fast.  Withdrawal symptoms can build up over a too-fast taper, which would explain why the longer you taper, the harder the withdrawal is.  II suggest you hold where you are at 25mg for at least a month, maybe more, to let your system acclimate itself to your reduced dosage.  That will also give you a chance to absorb the information in this post, especially about switching to a liquid form of Prozac before continuing your taper.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

Brain Remodelling 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.