Holdontohope: short term Lexapro reaction

Holdontohope

Hello all,

Several months ago I was brought to the ER for bad vertigo, nausea, and vomiting. Had a pretty traumatic experience in the hospital room when I was gave an anti nausea med. I had extreme akathesia towards the point when I needed to escape!! The doc said all of the results came back fine....  the next day I had panic attacks due to the experience. Contacted another doc and told him that I used lexapro like 12 years ago and it helped panic. He prescribed me Lexapro. The next 2 months on Lexapro was crazy. Depression, increased panic attacks, GI issues, DP/DR, and the lost goes on. I continued taking them for the weeks because I was told it can be worse before it's better. After those 2 months, I did a quick taper in about a week. I was only on 5mg. I've been completely off Lexapro for about 3 weeks, and I am still having these symptoms but they've kinda morphed. These past few weeks I've been having extreme intrusive thoughts, and some paranoia. I've been thinking "what if I am the only person who is alive, and everyone else is basically just a robot". I question whether my family is truly alive, and can really feel me...  Those thoughts lead to this feeling of hopelessness... Ive never had these feelings before.

I am thinking that Lexapro changed there ingredients, because I didn't have these issues years ago... I feel like there have been some windows, but i am still scared.... would appreciate some input.

Thanks 

Zach

Aug/Sept 2020: Lexapro 5mg 

Oct 2020: off Lexapro

Nov 2020: On Fluoxetine 10 mg

Dec 2020: added 75 MG of Seroquel (Tried Lamotrigine for a few weeks also)

Feb 2021: down to 50 MG of Seroquel. Off fluoxetine 

March 2021: off Seroquel. Not taking any meds.   Trying different supplements

• ChessieCat changed the title to Holdontohope: short term Lexapro reaction
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Holdontohope.  I'm sorry you're going through this.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Please include any other psychiatric drugs you've taken since Lexapro 12 years ago, including dates and doses and the dosage you were given recently. Also include whether the Lexapro were on in the past and the more recent Lexapro were brand name or generic.  You'll need to use a computer rather than a phone.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

You had an adverse reaction to the Lexapro, which means that the drug is poison to your system.  Once you've completed your drug signature, we might be better able to understand why you tolerated Lexapro before but can't tolerate it now.  There are many things we don't understand about the brain and the effect of the powerful drugs on it, but one simple explanation is that your current brain and central nervous system has changed over time, as all of ours do, and what once was tolerated is now rejected by your system.

Do you have any idea what brought you to the ER with vertigo and nausea?

The symptoms of an adverse reaction are very similar to those of withdrawal, and the symptoms you describe are typical of adverse reaction/withdrawal.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

It's a very encouraging sign that you are experiencing windows, which is a sign of healing.  You will recover and heal, but unfortunately there is no way to predict how long this will take.

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

This link illustrates the healing process really well.

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 4 months later...

Hey all.  Its been a while.

My last post about my status was getting off of Lexapro....   well shortly after that I reinstated.  Got put on fluoxetine. Didn't help that much, and eventually made things worse. So worse that I was put on Serequel, and then Zoloft...

I have been completely off the Zoloft and Seroquel for about a week now. Been dealing with a lot of dizziness/nausea since coming off of them.

Its frustrating to think that taking Lexapro for a short period of time would cause all of this.....

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is your Introduction topic:

holdontohope-short-term-lexapro-reaction

Only one Introduction topic per member.  Each member has their own Introduction topic which is the best place to ask questions specific to your own situation and where you can journal your progress. 

This topic will be merged with the old one.

Edited by getofflex
merged with original intro thread

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

@Holdontohopeplease review the information in the links above by Gridley, and let us know how we can help you. We will need you to create your drug signature as requested previously.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I've been wondering why SSRIs worsen the actual symptoms that are supposed to be treating. For example, I have been off of Sertraline for a few weeks, and others in the past; I notice that I have OCD thoughts now, something that I never had prior to taking the meds. Prior to taking the meds, I was only dealing with anxiety/panic, and now being off of them I am dealing with OCD, depression, etc.  I am just wondering why this happens. This is the very reason I don't want to go back on meds, because I feel I should wait it out.... just frustrating that I've never had these issues prior to taking these meds..

Would this also mean that there is hope that these symptoms will go away??

Thanks 

P.S.  couldnt post this in Symptoms topic because my phone is not letting me

• Administrator

Hello, you've been taking sertraline? When did you do that? Please update your signature.

It sounds like you have withdrawal symptoms or protracted withdrawal.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Sorry forgot to add sertraline. I'll update the signature. My last dose of sertraline was 2 weeks ago, with the seroquel...

• Administrator

We can't figure out what you're talking about without your history of these recent drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.