Self-massage to ease symptoms

lucidity

A week or so ago, while going through some pretty severe agitation, my wife was using a vibrating massager on my back to try to ease my suffering.  When she moved it to my neck, I noticed a strange disorienting feeling that was somewhat pleasant.  Being the curious guy that I am, I held the massager there (on the upper part of the back of my neck, right below the skull) for a few minutes.  Afterwards, the agitation was greatly lessened for quite a while (at least 45 minutes).  I have since continued to use vibration (now with a whole body vibration device) as a calming aid.

I did research this a bit, and found the following on whole body vibration :

https://www.hypervibe.com/au/blog/effects-of-whole-body-vibration-on-cortisol-levels-and-body-weight/

Studies have shown that vibration training can decrease the production of cortisol while maximizing muscle stimulation and boosting the production of growth hormone. 10 minutes of whole body vibration exercises can reduce the production of cortisol by up to 32% and increase the release of human growth hormone by 320% to 464%.

https://healthtide.com/9-benefits-of-whole-body-vibration-you-must-know/

One study published in the European Journal of Applied Physiology showed that whole body vibration effectively reduced levels of cortisol in men while increasing testosterone and human growth hormone levels. The same results were found in men and women when researchers from the University of Cologne in Germany took blood draws before, during and after whole body vibration therapy performed by 20 participants. The vibration therapy effectively reduced cortisol and glucose levels while stimulating two thyroid hormones.

Additionally, amazon reviews on whole body vibration devices show many saying they are getting better sleep after using them. 

(No, I'm not a seller of these devices.  A simple massager on the back of the neck is effective for calming as far as I can tell)

I did notice while searching that others have found a benefit to vibration as well.

TL1802 said "Sometimes the tingling is so bad, that I take a vibrating massager and hold it to the back of my neck to vibrate my brain, which temporarily soothes the tingling. "

Anyway, I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, but I feel this topic deserves more attention regardless -- especially since it's drug/supplement free.

1997-2019 Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, Effexor, Serzone, Wellbutrin, Amitryptiline, Mirtazapine, Lexapro (mostly, 10-20mg)

Jan 16-Feb 2019 Fast tapered Lexapro after spontaneous kundalini syndrome 

Feb-Jul Used various herbs to deal with severe anxiety (bacopa, gotu kola)

Sept 2019 Developed histamine intolerance and daily panic

Currently taking high DHA fish oil, magnesium.  Occasionally l-ornithine, l-lysine, l-glycine, melatonin for sleep.  Dayvigo for sleep, and l-thp or seroquel (haven't settled on dose) for sleep when in sleep deprivation crisis

• ChessieCat changed the title to Head and whole body vibration massage to ease symptoms
  • 1 year later...

Sorry if there is already a topic related to this, I didn't find it !

I just found out about this diaphragm self massage and it's awesome :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSGSmCMcZQQ
It helps so much with reducing stress and pain in the back. The guy in the video does it on the sides only, I also do it in the middle (underneath the solar plexus area) which is the most tensed part of the muscle for me. I do it in combination with belly breathing session (I tend to breath with my shoulders, which is not good). I tried doing it before and after yoga and it was really good.

Might work for chest tightness as well. (I haven't any right now though, so I'm not sure).

I thought it might help someone out ! For me, I found that breathing exercises alone didn't work as well as they should because the muscle was too tensed. So this is a real plus. Careful not hurting yourself at first by pushing to hard with your finger, it can be pretty intense if your diaphragm is really tensed. A bit of discomfort is expected though.

I do the massage preferably sitting on my knees, like this.

vajrasana.jpg

Hope this helps someone !

December 2020 : got prescribed 20 mg paroxetine (paxil) for an anxiety disorder

Tried tapering in July 2021 by taking 20 mg every other day and failed.

Started tapering with the 10% method in January 2022 and switched to an oral suspension. 20 mg = 10 ml

Turned out to be a bit hard. Continuing with 5% drops approx.

25 January 2022 : 9 ml / 24 February 2022 : 8,1 ml / 06 April 2022 : 7,3 ml / 2 June 2022 : 7 ml / 11 July 2022 : 6,5 ml / 09 August 2022 : 6,3 ml / 26 August 2022 : 6 ml / 18 Septembre 2022 : 5,8 ml / 17 December 2022 : 5,7 ml / 04 January 2023 : 5,6 / 17 January 2023 : 5,5

Xanax from december 2020 to January 2021 / Omeprazol on and off for GERD since december 2020 : 20 mg / Birth control pill since february 2021.

• Altostrata changed the title to Self-massage to ease symptoms

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy