SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Kristinhopes: completely lost, what to do now - taper, reinstate, switch

Kristinhopes

I was put on Paxil around 15 (I'm 35 now). I don't rememember how many years but probably 5 years. I came off that for at least a year and then had panic attacks and tried celexa briefly which I didn't like the way it made me feel so in 2007 started Zoloft . I had been on Zoloft from 100-200 mg, mostly 100 for ten years until 2017 when I tapered off over 3 months towards the end of my pregnancy.

I started ruminating and having bad anxiety again a year later, so reinstated at 100mg. I stayed on that 1 1/2 years despite it not working (apparently poop out). Towards the last part of that zoloft I ttired effecor 5 days, but stopped when I read horror tapering stories and continued the zoloft at 50mg for a ocuple months and then tried a cross taper to cymbalta which made my feel terrible for two weeks, so stopped that and continued the Zoloft at 50 mg tapering down to zero over 2 months and ceasing that in December 2019.

I started having muscle contractions in my throat that all doctors say are a stress reaction, but are frequent as well as bad pressure in head dand neck and back and head tension pain and tongue too. I was still moderately depressed too. I decided to try lexapro in Feb. 2020 at 10 mg. I didn't really notice much until I went to 15 mg at the 12 week mark, but five days into that I devleoped really loud tinnitits and went down to 10 mg. the tinnitis lowered but has remained.

Since I was also having heart palpitations (had these half way through my time with zoloft too and had them looked into), and because I couldn't go over 10 mg, I decided to taper off the lexapro. I tapered down every three week by 2.5 mg, I stayed at 5 mg for 5 weeks, and then 2.5 mg for 3 weeks. It was 10 days after the 2.5 mg decrease that everything went awful. I got inner restlessness (possiblyakathisia), joltted awake at 6 am every morning, so insomnia, and the worse depression of my existence. 

After three weeks of this, I thought about reinstating to 5 mg lexapro but didn't because I thought due to the tinnitis and palpitations maybe lexapro was a bad idea in general. I alsos tarted taking ativan two times a week around this time. After three weeks on 2.5 mg, I dropeed to zero and the next day went to prozac with hopes that it woud ease the depression and inner restlessness and insomnia.

I have been on prozac 10mg for 33 days now. side effects being an eye and arm twitch that went away and continuation of insomnia. I felt the derpession got slightly better to where I could function but not baseline, same for restlessness. But during this prozac trial I swtiched from ativan to klonipin. I was taking that once twice, sometimes a week 1 mg for sleep. Last week, I had 7 decent days and felt maybe it was starting to kick in, but then I guess maybe it wasn't the prozac afterall, maybe it was just hte long halflife klonopin wearing away because next thing I knew that akathisia restlessness feeling and jolting awake at 6 am happened again. depression came back to sinking low again.

I decided to up to 20 mg two days ago. yesterday I developed a tongue twitch and then woke up with two panic attacks and despite taking klonopin could not sleep more than two hours. So the 20 mg I feel is just too much for my sensitized nervous system.

My plan is to stay at 10 mg for a few weeks, see if I get better, and if now, then taper down slowly. The problem with this is how am I supposed ot survive this withdrawal especially since I'm already depressed and posibly akathisia? I wanted to get to a decent baseline first before tapering. 

Next, do I taper off the prozac (but it's not working for me) or switch back to the lexapro that I had issues with (it has now been four weeks totally off, and 6 weeks since the akathisia and isnomnia began from the withdrawal of it. Or do I switch back to the zoloft even? Last, I want to feel better first before tapering ideally. Do I try yet another med, (Effexor). I am so lost and feeling so hopeless.

I have a three year old and a job, and I feel like I am losing everything. I am also trying to avoid a benzo addiction, so trying to jsut take them once to twice a week, but still scared of addicting anyways since I've been doing that about two months). And now with these new panic attacks feeling I may need them more.

Edited by Shep
added paragraph breaks for readability

2000-2017Paxil 40 mg and Zoloft usually 100 mg most these years

2018-1.5 year pooped out reinstatement of Zoloft 100.

feb 2020 lexapro 10 mg but developed tinnitus and palls. taperoff lex in June

9/22/20: dropped 2.5 mg lexapro to 0 and started 10 mg Prozac Akathisia and insomnia and worse depression began after dropping to 2.5 (be4 starting Prozac) .

9/20:  6 weeks intermittent but consistent Ativan and klonopin
10/22/20: last dose of klon

and dropped to 8 mg prozac

12-19-20: decreased Prozac to 7.4 
1-5-21: 7.68 prozac with adv effects so  1-7-21: back to 7.4 1-18/21: 7.2 and 1/25/21: 6.95 2/1: 6.8

• ChessieCat changed the title to Kristinhopes: Completely lost - what to do now? Taper, reinstate, switch
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kristin,

To get you started please create your drug signature.  Follow these instructions:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature
Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

This is your own Introduction topic where you can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, Kristinhopes said:

I am also trying to avoid a benzo addiction, so trying to jsut take them once to twice a week, but still scared of addicting anyways since I've been doing that about two months). And now with these new panic attacks feeling I may need them more.

We need some details about your benzo usage.   Include benzo info in drug signature but post as a reply.  The panic attacks may be from intermittent use of the benzo.

Please tell us the name of the drug and provide the dates and doses of when you have used the benzo/s.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Signatures added.

9/22/20: dropped 2.5 mg lexapro to 0 and started 10 mg Prozac Akathisia and insomnia and worse depression began after dropping to 2.5 (be4 starting Prozac) .

1-5-21: 7.68 prozac with adv effects so  1-7-21: back to 7.4 1-18/21: 7.2 and 1/25/21: 6.95 2/1: 6.8

Also this past week I tried to up to 20 mg For two days Prozac and got tongue twitching and panic attacks so back to 10.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 10/23/2020 at 8:39 AM, Kristinhopes said:

I felt the derpession got slightly better to where I could function but not baseline, same for restlessness. But during this prozac trial I swtiched from ativan to klonipin. I was taking that once twice, sometimes a week 1 mg for sleep. Last week, I had 7 decent days and felt maybe it was starting to kick in, but then I guess maybe it wasn't the prozac afterall, maybe it was just hte long halflife klonopin wearing away because next thing I knew that akathisia restlessness feeling and jolting awake at 6 am happened again. depression came back to sinking low again.

Kristin, I think you're onto something here - yes, the Klonopin leaving your system could be causing some of your symptoms. 

benzos. Used .5mg klonopin very Sparingly . Maybe once every couple months or less since 2007. Started Ativan instead in 2019 with Lexapro. Used sparingly until the withdrawal from lex started in sept 2020. Used Ativan 1 mg twice a week or so for three weeks and switched back to klonopin 1 mg 1-2 times a week for past three weeks. So 6 weeks of more consistent benzo use at once to twice a week. 

I grabbed the above quote from your signature. Klonopin's half-life is 18 - 50 hours, so if you are a slow metabolizer, you would still have 25% of your dose in your system 100 hours (4 days) later. So if you're using Klonopin even twice a week you can still become dependent. Here is a half-life calculator you may find helpful:

Drug Half-Life Calculator

Do you feel you're already dependent on the benzo? Would you be able to function if you were to stop? 

If not, you really should consider taking Klonopin every day. Ideally, you'll want to set yourself up for the best outcomes by taking  your drugs at the same time and dose each day. This allows your nervous system as much stability as possible, with the goal of reaching a stable baseline before continuing your taper.

Please note there is a "moderate" drug interaction between Prozac and Klonopin:

Drug Interaction - Prozac and Klonopin

So you'll want to space them out at least 2 hours apart.

A request - Please post your thoughts on taking Klonopin every day. Some people are more afraid of benzos than antidepressants when it comes to dependency, but both can cause dependency and both can be safely tapered off. So don't let the idea that benzos are somehow worse than antidepressants keep you from taking a daily benzo. Please post any questions you have regarding this. 

Question - Are you taking any other drugs or supplements? If so, please list them and the dose and time(s) you take each of your drugs and supplements. 

I don’t think I am dependent on the benzos yet. I do not want to take them and become dependent ideally to just add to what’s going on. Each time I have taken them it’s for sleep.. and one for severe panic attack when I increased to 20mg klonopin. I feel that rather than my symptoms being withdrawal from klonopin they are lingering withdrawal from the lexapro ( which by the way I never had typical withdrawal symptoms of brain zaps) . I also don’t feel the 10 mg of Prozac is causing the insomnia depression or anxiety, as this all started 15 data after decreasing lexapro to 2.5. I feel that what IS happening is once the klonopin has cleared its way out of my system about 7 days all

the stuff it was covering up

is fully exposed again and that’s what I’m feeling. So i am torn on either taking klonopin to help ease this lexapro withdrawal and get a little more sleep and getting a klonopin dependence or dropping the klonopin and dealing with the lexapro caused anxiety, insomnia and depression on my. Own with the hope 20 mg Prozac eventually helps. My goal is to stabilize on Prozac and eventually taper that. My worst time of day is mornings. I wake up at 5 am ( sometimes earlier) with internal tremors and pounding and racing heart that lasted hours and can not go back to sleep. It’s times like that I want to reach for the klonopin. But I think I would rather push through without it. My doctor encourages taking the benzo every day until I stabilize on Prozac but what if I don’t stabilize on Prozac? Then I have a new dependency on klonopin and also still imbalanced. Ideally I would have reinstated the lexapro at 5 mg when the feelings came at 2.5 but I did not do that because of the lexapro having caused tinnitus and more frequent palpitations. I guess looking back I should have done a Prozac bridge possibly rather than tapering down lexapro, stopping it, and starting Prozac. I also think a little bit of this started on the three week mark when I began googling way too much and reading tons of horror stories and then freaking out and basically have been terrible since then. 

You are taking the benzo in the worst way possible, putting yourself through multiple WD which will end in kindling your brain. I thought exactly the same as you, taking Valium a couple of times a week. I'm now in hell from benzo and celexa WD, which I've also kindled on

2 months of occasional use is unfortunately enough to be dependent. I've just signed up here but been a member of benzo buddies for the last 6 months since my CT, and unfortunately seen a lot of people like us make the same mistake. You can become dependent in as little as 2 weeks and they need to be tapered after that time. So the panic attacks could easily be that. 

2006 - 2009 20mg Citalopram fast taper2011 - 2016 40mg Citalopram fast taperJune 2016 10mg Valium 1 month CT
Jan 2018 40mg CitalopramFeb 2019 cymbalta for pain - too many side effectsApril - 10mg Valium for 1 month- made me depressed stopped CTJuly - 0.5mg of Xanax + Prozac, bad reaction stopped after 6 weeks CTSept - 14 days Ativan CT

October 2019 - 5mg Valium + 10mg Citalopram, too much,

December 2019 - CT Citalopram, 

February 2020 - reinstate 5mg Citalopram

April 2020 Stopped Valium CT, sart May tried to increase Citalopram to 10mg, think I OD'd 

22 June  ER visit tried to reinstate Valium, paradoxical

2 failed attempts to reinstate Citalopram 1mg and 0.5mg

20 Oct CBD oil - wave, 27 Oct 10mg trimipramine BAD IDEA

13 minutes ago, Kindler said:

You are taking the benzo in the worst way possible, putting yourself through multiple WD which will end in kindling your brain. I thought exactly the same as you, taking Valium a couple of times a week. I'm now in hell from benzo and celexa WD, which I've also kindled on

2 months of occasional use is unfortunately enough to be dependent. I've just signed up here but been a member of benzo buddies for the last 6 months since my CT, and unfortunately seen a lot of people like us make the same mistake. You can become dependent in as little as 2 weeks and they need to be tapered after that time. So the panic attacks could easily be that. 

The panic attack happened after upping the Prozac the severe anxiety happpened two weeks into 2.5 lexapro drop. There are not really any new symptoms, it’s just that the klonopin does not make them go away forever so then I wanna reach for another but I think the symptoms I have are the lexapro . I guess I could stop the klonopin totally now and deal with the lexapro or start taking klonopin every day to make me feel better from the lexapro and then become dependent for sure if not already. 

11 minutes ago, Kristinhopes said:

The panic attack happened after upping the Prozac the severe anxiety happpened two weeks into 2.5 lexapro drop. There are not really any new symptoms, it’s just that the klonopin does not make them go away forever so then I wanna reach for another but I think the symptoms I have are the lexapro . I guess I could stop the klonopin totally now and deal with the lexapro or start taking klonopin every day to make me feel better from the lexapro and then become dependent for sure if not already. 

Obviously it's completely up to you, but if you can do without the benzo I personally would, maybe something herbal would help? But as you say it helps, so a regular dose would be better than putting yourself through multiple WD's. I would think about it tho

2006 - 2009 20mg Citalopram fast taper2011 - 2016 40mg Citalopram fast taperJune 2016 10mg Valium 1 month CT
Jan 2018 40mg CitalopramFeb 2019 cymbalta for pain - too many side effectsApril - 10mg Valium for 1 month- made me depressed stopped CTJuly - 0.5mg of Xanax + Prozac, bad reaction stopped after 6 weeks CTSept - 14 days Ativan CT

October 2019 - 5mg Valium + 10mg Citalopram, too much,

December 2019 - CT Citalopram, 

February 2020 - reinstate 5mg Citalopram

April 2020 Stopped Valium CT, sart May tried to increase Citalopram to 10mg, think I OD'd 

22 June  ER visit tried to reinstate Valium, paradoxical

2 failed attempts to reinstate Citalopram 1mg and 0.5mg

20 Oct CBD oil - wave, 27 Oct 10mg trimipramine BAD IDEA

• Administrator
On 10/23/2020 at 5:39 AM, Kristinhopes said:

I decided to up to 20 mg two days ago. yesterday I developed a tongue twitch and then woke up with two panic attacks and despite taking klonopin could not sleep more than two hours. So the 20 mg I feel is just too much for my sensitized nervous system.

My plan is to stay at 10 mg for a few weeks, see if I get better, and if now, then taper down slowly. The problem with this is how am I supposed ot survive this withdrawal especially since I'm already depressed and posibly akathisia? I wanted to get to a decent baseline first before tapering. 

Kristin, this is very concerning. It looks to me like 10mg fluoxetine is also too much for you.

If I were you, I'd get a prescription for liquid fluoxetine and take 9mg, see if that's more comfortable.

What does your "depression" feel like? As you've been on antidepressants for so long, you may be experiencing emotional anesthesia, an adverse effect of antidepressant use. Increasing dosage isn't going to help. It looks to me like chasing "depression" with drug treatment is not going to be productive for you any more.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

24 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Kristin, this is very concerning. It looks to me like 10mg fluoxetine is also too much for you.

If I were you, I'd get a prescription for liquid fluoxetine and take 9mg, see if that's more comfortable.

What does your "depression" feel like? As you've been on antidepressants for so long, you may be experiencing emotional anesthesia, an adverse effect of antidepressant use. Increasing dosage isn't going to help. It looks to me like chasing "depression" with drug treatment is not going to be productive for you any more.

Y do you think 10mg May be too much? The depression I feel is the worse depression ever. It began when I tapered down to 2.5 mg lexapro. Before that I was moderately depressed. Now I am severely depressed as I’m unable to eat, sleep, function at work or with my three year old son, essentially I feel like I am dying ( but have no desire to do so) 

• Administrator

That sounds like withdrawal syndrome.

How do you feel before and after you take Prozac each day? What time of day do you take it? Are your symptoms better or worse at any times of day?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Yes, I do think it was withdrawal. Initially Prozac seemed to help some (but not to baseline) except with the sleep but that started Waxing and waning,,, and right now I feel like I am practically back at square one with the depression. But I did start googling again more lately which always causes causes more panic and depression for me too so I don’t know what’s what. I feel worse In the morning Immediately upon waking at 5 or 6 by an Adrenalin surge usually to around noon. I take Paxil around 9 am usually, but I do need to be more consistent with timing. Lately I’ve been really depressed constantly the last four days again. I had a glimmer of hope last week (not baseline but was feeling a little better and had a full 8 hour night of sleep) 

Lexapro Withdrawal while starting prozac

I have been on numerous meds for over 15 years, most recently lexapro. I was on 10 mg for 3 months when I developed tinnitus so I tapered off that over a period of 2.5 months with frequent heart palpitations along the way. When I got to 2.5 mg after about two weeks I developed the worst depression of my life, insomnia, and waking restlessness and inner shaking. I thought I was going crazy. So at the three week mark I dropped to zero and switched to Prozac 10mg. I know, bad move. Anyways the Prozac helped some of those things a little off and in until the 4 week mark when everything went back to square 1. A few days ago I decided maybe I should up the dose to 20mg. I did this for two dats and experienced horrible insomnia, panic, and a tongue twitching. So I skipped a day completely and resumed 10, but now I am still experiencing more marked anxiety from the dose increase, worse insomnia and depression, and all this time I have been jolted awake at 5 or 6 with adrenaline rush but last couple days it’s been super fast waves of heart beat racing and inner trembling and panic. So I guess now I’m wanting to just come off the Prozac too. My question is should I taper off (it’s been 35 days) and I am probably still withdrawaing from the lexapro too since my wirse depression and insomnia and restlessness is still present. If I taper off the Prozac , how slow given the time on it? Should I switch back to the lexapro at a low dose? Should I just drop all the drugs and suffer years of this ? This has been absolute torture and hell on earth and I can no longer function at my job or as a mom of a three year old. Desperate me wants to try something else. I was not ready to come off these meds and only tapered the lexapro because of the tinnitus, so mentally I don’t know how I will be able to do this. I am dying it feels like. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• Administrator

Are you taking Prozac or Paxil?

Yes, you need to be very consistent with timing. Taking the drug irregularly may be causing your sleep problems.

I think these symptoms you call "depression" are withdrawal symptoms, which should very slowly fade, with lots of ups and downs. Please consider this -- while you taper, you may well have unpleasant emotions from withdrawal and will need to remain calm to get through rough patches. I would consider those movement symptoms as a warning sign that antidepressants may not be an answer for you. Because of that, I am hesitant to suggest any updoses of the antidepressant for your symptoms.

Updoses of the benzo are another matter, to be decided. Unfortunately, "depression" can be an adverse effect of benzo use, they're no magic bullet.

You may need to learn non-drug techniques to manage your emotional state no matter what.

See

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Neuro-emotions

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

Shame, guilt, regret, and self-criticism

Deep emotional pain and crying spells, spontaneous weeping

Sudden fear, terror, panic, or anxiety from withdrawal

14 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Are you taking Prozac or Paxil?

Yes, you need to be very consistent with timing. Taking the drug irregularly may be causing your sleep problems.

I think these symptoms you call "depression" are withdrawal symptoms, which should very slowly fade, with lots of ups and downs. Please consider this -- while you taper, you may well have unpleasant emotions from withdrawal and will need to remain calm to get through rough patches. I would consider those movement symptoms as a warning sign that antidepressants may not be an answer for you. Because of that, I am hesitant to suggest any updoses of the antidepressant for your symptoms.

Updoses of the benzo are another matter, to be decided. Unfortunately, "depression" can be an adverse effect of benzo use, they're no magic bullet.

You may need to learn non-drug techniques to manage your emotional state no matter what.

See

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Neuro-emotions

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

Shame, guilt, regret, and self-criticism

Deep emotional pain and crying spells, spontaneous weeping

Sudden fear, terror, panic, or anxiety from withdrawal

I have been taking Prozac 10 mg for 5 weeks to try to stabilize from lexapro withdrawal. I know, should have just reinstated lex but I didn’t. Anyways , Prozac helped subtly here and there in waves, but went downhill fast last week. I stupidly went up to 20mg for two days then skipped a day and went back to 10 where I shall remain (or maybe  do 9 mg) until I hopefully further stabilize. So at this point I think most of my issues are from lexapro, but it’s too late at this point to reinstate that since I am on Prozac now, right? Should I just stay on Prozac and hope it can help with stabilizing withdrawal? Since the past week sleep has gotten even worse and since the up dose it was the worst yet last night . I only got two hours of sleep. My lack of sleep is certainly making me more crazy. I could take a klonopin and probably get two more hours of sleep but I am trying to just not take it since I don’t think I am dependent yet. I took 1 mg Wednesday and Thursday. They did not fix my issues except I did get a little sleep the night after taking them but then the next night only the two hours. A week before I went 10 days without taking klonopin and was still able to sleep 6-8 hours until the restlessness and severe depression crept back in (no matter what through this all I have had the 5 am surge and can’t go back to sleep with racing heart and inner tremor. No real issues going to sleep until last night, I am thinking it’s lfrom the 20 mg Prozac and will hopefully rest abolish some soon) . My gut is telling me that I have a chance to not get dependent on klonopin if I stop now and all the other torture I am going through is mainly lexapro withdrawal with maybe a bit of trying to stabilize on Prozac. So, would it be best at this point to just stay on Prozac and hopefully stabilize since it has been 5 weeks since lexapro, or should I switch back to lexapro, or should I just stop all meds? I am at 10 mg lexapro still other than those two days and hopefullg I’ll be able to stabilize from that incident. I just got a liquid version of Prozac so I am thinking about doing 8 mg when it comes and stay there a long time hoping to stabilize. It’s just hard to know since I think the true insomnia and restlessness and stuff stemmed from lexapro because it started ten days before switching to Prozac and I switched to the Prozac in desperation.

14 minutes ago, Shep said:

Kristin, when is the last date you took Klonopin? Please add this to your signature if you're going to stop this drug. 

Account Settings - Create or Edit Your Signature

Are you taking any supplements are any other drugs? 

Done. 

• Moderator Emeritus

So much for stopping klonopin. I only got two hours of sleep last night and tonight after sleeping 1 hour woke up with rolling panic attacks, high blood pressure, and racing heart all clearly from my Prozac increase a few days ago. At this point should I c/t the Prozac or at least reduce by a quarter or half to 7.5 or 5 . My stupid increase the other day is now going to make me addicted to benzos too. But I think this is a borderline dangerous reaction with the new rolling panic attacks, racing heart, burning muscles all of which are medication induced and not a typical brain induced panic attack.

• Moderator Emeritus
46 minutes ago, Kristinhopes said:

At this point should I c/t the Prozac

I suggest that you DO NOT cold turkey the Prozac.

I've notified the other mods that you need assistance.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please advise what dose of Prozac you are currently taking.  Thank you.

10 mg for 5 weeks I updises to 20 last weenesdsy and Thursday  for two days then skipped a day and went back to 10. The two klonopin s I just took did nothing . I am awake and tossing and turning two hours later. Worried about Akathisia. Looks like this will be two days in a row of two hours of sleep. 

I am thinking maybe cutting the dose in half to 5 mg since I have only been on 5 weeks. I am so scared this idols Akathisia. I am so anxious and can’t stop moving or sleep and concerned that even klonopin did not touch it. I know it has a super long half life too so will be dealing with the consequences of upping the dose for a while. It feels like I am dying.

I feel like maybe I need to quit the Prozac and reinstate the lexapro at a low dose too, that’s when withdrawal happened (at the 2.5 mg drop) But now I have no clue what to do. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I've asked the other mods for their assistance.

• Moderator Emeritus

10/22/20: last dose of klonopin 1mg 

2 hours ago, Kristinhopes said:

The two klonopin s I just took did nothing .

When a benzo is reinstated and the symptoms don't resolve, it may be a sign that you aren't dependent and something else is going on. With benzos, a lot of times people get results right away. However, since you doubled up on the dose, it could have turned paradoxical, meaning instead of the drug being calming, it's stimulating.

So it's still unclear whether or not you're dependent on the benzo. As you've mentioned, it's likely too high a dose of Prozac causing your symptoms (Alto mentioned earlier in the thread that you might benefit from reducing down to 9 mg in her post here). 

Please do your best to decide whether or not you're going to continue with Klonopin. You risk kindling by continuing to add and subtract this drug. Kindling is a neurological condition in which repeated withdrawals cause worsening symptoms. Some people are fine going on and stopping a benzo one time, but the next time they start and stop, the withdrawal symptoms are worse. For more, please see:

Benzoinfo.com - Kindling

Would you advise staying on Prozac and not reinstating lexapro? I was thinking going to 7 mg since I have only been on it five weeks and am having adverse reactions but also the initial lexapro withdrawal reactions dtilll too. 

Edited by ChessieCat
deleted quote

Also pretty sure I had / have withdrawal sksthiff ST is from lex and I don’t think it’s getting better in prizac maybe worse since 20mg updose. I dropped from 10mg to 8 mg today. Planning to try that steady dose.  But if I had Akathisia from lex and am having from Prozac should I just cry altogether. This is torture. I have come off meds before that I was on much longer but nothing like this 

1 hour of sleep last night. Severe inner restlessness. If lexapro caused Akathisia and the Prozac is making it worse should I just ct the Prozac or at least go ahead and jump to 5 mg (just jumped to 8 )Adverse effect. I can’t take this. 5 hours of sleep total in three nights. Plus severe inner shaking 

• Moderator Emeritus

Generally it takes about 4 days for the dose change of a drug to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  However Prozac has a very long half life and it can take a lot longer for the dose change to be felt.  It might take a week or a bit longer for you to notice the lower dose that you are now taking.

It is not good to be continually changing your dose.  The brain likes consistency.  You need to pick a dose to take and stick to it.  Unfortunately nobody can say what dose is the best dose for you to take.

Altostrata, who is this site's owner and has a lot of knowledge and experience with helping members here, suggest 9mg.  You've decided to go take 8mg.  It might be a good idea to stick with the 8mg.

Also, have you taken more benzos since you took a double dose?  The double dose might still be having a bad effect on you.

When you make more than one change at the same/close time, it is hard to know what is causing what.

I am trying to hold on to 8 but it just feels like I am still at 20, so restless, insomnia, shaking all night no sleep so that’s y I was not sure if I should just come off these things altogether or hold on. I will try my best to stay at the 8 for at least 4 weeks, but with the level of anxiety and panic and insomnia (and heart palpitations) I feel it is hard to keep taking them. Also I did not take a double dose of klonopin, I took two .5 mg which is what I have been taking . Sorry for the confusion. No, I did not take anymore last night. I just suffered through, especially since the klonopin did not help me the night before anyway

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

• Moderator Emeritus

Kristin, please start a drug and symptoms journal. Below are the instructions. This will help us see your symptoms in context, as well as help you keep a regular dosing schedule. 

Please include your drugs, dose, and any supplements. Also, the number of hours you sleep each night. 

On 9/27/2016 at 2:49 PM, Altostrata said:

In the course of discussion in your Introductions forum topic, you may be asked to keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern, including when you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms. We ask this because there may be something we can do to reduce the symptoms.

What we need to see for every single day over several days is what symptoms you get before and after you take your drugs. If you're not taking any drugs and have withdrawal symptoms, we still need to see your symptom pattern throughout the day:

The time of day, dosage, and severity of symptoms are essential information. Include

- Time and dosage for all drugs taken throughout the day, psychiatric and non-psychiatric.

- Following each dose, note any symptoms. If you are having a reaction to the drug, it may take hours for a symptom to show up -- that's why we ask you to keep notes all day long.

- If you're not taking any drugs, your symptoms throughout the day.

- Your sleep pattern. Since so many drugs disturb sleep, if you find you're waking in the middle of the night, it could be from a drug you took earlier in the evening. If you're not taking any drugs, there may be ways you can improve your sleep.

And so forth. A diary, in chronological order, looking something like this:

Example:

DATE:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

On 10/26/2020 at 7:27 AM, Shep said:

When a benzo is reinstated and the symptoms don't resolve, it may be a sign that you aren't dependent and something else is going on. With benzos, a lot of times people get results right away. However, since you doubled up on the dose, it could have turned paradoxical, meaning instead of the drug being calming, it's stimulating.

So it's still unclear whether or not you're dependent on the benzo. As you've mentioned, it's likely too high a dose of Prozac causing your symptoms (Alto mentioned earlier in the thread that you might benefit from reducing down to 9 mg in her post here). 

Please do your best to decide whether or not you're going to continue with Klonopin. You risk kindling by continuing to add and subtract this drug. Kindling is a neurological condition in which repeated withdrawals cause worsening symptoms. Some people are fine going on and stopping a benzo one time, but the next time they start and stop, 

On 10/27/2020 at 8:12 AM, Shep said:

Kristin, please start a drug and symptoms journal. Below are the instructions. This will help us see your symptoms in context, as well as help you keep a regular dosing schedule. 

Please include your drugs, dose, and any supplements. Also, the number of hours you sleep each night. 

It’s been Two months since lexapro. can I cut stop the Prozac and try reinstating the lexapro instead for the severe Akathisia? That is the main issue. I was hoping Prozac would help, but it’s not and maybe making worse.