Kristinhopes: completely lost, what to do now - taper, reinstate, switch

Kristinhopes

• Administrator
22 hours ago, Kristinhopes said:

Thanks. I don’t think the tongue twitch in particular is withdrawal. Both times it started was from an updose. So I think adverse. I also feel depersonalization and brain poison feeling usually after I take the Prozac pretty immediately. I think it is adverse. Not sure if that changes anything though. I have been on the Prozac going on four months due to withdrawal akathisia from lexapro. The tremor and tongue twitch is new with prizac

With adverse reactions, the symptoms tend to get less with less of the drug, so as you taper, you'll likely feel better. 

It does look like the Prozac resolved a lot of the akathisia because now you're sleeping without the aid of a benzo. 

22 hours ago, Kristinhopes said:

also while it is nice to see the above members td went away.. there’s was much worse than mine, if that even is what I have. Right now it’s just twitches and some mild tremor.  I am hoping it does not progress to that or what those members had,  which is why I have considered stopping the Prozac while I’m only 4 months in and changing to another med. but as I said, I will try a dose reduction first in a couple weeks and hope that helps. 

Reducing the dose in a couple of weeks sounds like a good plan. 

While you're holding, please go back and re-read your entire thread. I just re-read a couple pages and noticed this:

On 12/16/2020 at 8:33 AM, Kristinhopes said:

It’s just I wish I had given the 10mg a bit more time. When I was at 10 I was having more windows, then I dropped to 8 and had another great even better window but two weeks later a wave but then another great  window then two weeks later this unrelenting wave that is  going on 16 days. So maybe I was beginning to stabilize on 10 and since Prozac had a long half life I attributed the 8 mg to my great weeks, but maybe it was residuals from the 10.. now that I am truly at 8 mg maybe it’s just not enough.. my obsessive worrying and depression are worse than ever, there are no windows, sleep got worse ( even before the one day updose) however I am also torn in my thinking that maybe the 8 is too much since I have worsening depersonalization after I take it lately and after that 1 day updose. I would hate to be so close to a dose of Prozac that works for me though and too scared to try it at the same time. Maybe my panic from the updose was not an adverse reaction maybe it was more the fear.

While we say "let your symptoms guide you in your taper," being able to sort out what is a withdrawal symptom, an adverse reaction symptom, and a fear symptom can be very difficult. 

If you feel that fear is driving some of your decisions, I would simply go by a more calendar-based approach and taper consistently at no more than 10% a month, based on the prior month's dose. 

Trying to fix withdrawal symptoms by switching drugs may only lead to more nervous system dysregulation, which at its heart, is what withdrawal is. While the TD symptoms can be frightening, it's really hard knowing if that's truly an adverse reaction based on some of your earlier window patterns when you were on a higher Prozac dose. 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kristinhopes

• Shep

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Kristin, And yes, those could be tardive dyskinesia symptoms:  Tardive dyskinesia, dyskinesia, dystonia, or involuntary movements And then, I had thought you had seen some improvement in

Kristin, why do you care what these people say? Psychiatrists are not exactly knowledgable  or even respectable people. The system they work in is responsible for creating this massive prescription dr

• Administrator

One more thought, as I just posted this link over on Healthhopehappiness's thread, who's also dealing with these same symptoms: 

Acceptance

That may be one of the most important of all of the non-drug coping skills we can learn. 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks. I’m having a struggle today. I could properly taper and do holds and whatnot if on a med That I did not feel was causing td (again never had tongue twitching in life befor updosed and now it’s all throughout day) plus tremor. My confidence I making it through the Prozac taper with this symptom it is causing me is just too much of an added stressor though. I have not found a story of anyone who got td symptoms and stayed on that med for two years to taper. Even yoga girl was 6 months. Wiggleit got better but he quickly tapered after getting a tongue twitch from a tricyclics. He is really the only other tongue twitch story. I don’t think I can stay on the Prozac. If it was not for this damn tongue twitch I think I could do it. But I am just too sickened by it and the thought of continuing on a med

that is doing that. It has been about 11 days since I slightly updosed and about 9 days since back to the 7.4 but it has been a little over 4 weeks since tapering to 7.4 (other than that updose) . I think I am going to decrease by 10% in one week max for that reason.. two weeks out from updosed. I just need to see if that changes the tongue twitch before making any big decisions like switching back to Zoloft . I know that is not advised but with td like symptoms I don’t know what to do. Also speaking with a neurologist next week to see what they think. Tardive dyskinesia was my biggest fear before all this and it now seems to be manifesting itself. I can’t do two years of tapering with that lingering in the back of my mind that I am prolonging a med that is giving me those symptoms. I can’t accept it because maybe I have a chance to stop it by switching to a med that Never had that effect on me and that maybe I can stabilize on. Then again it could make me worse. This has really thrown a wrench into my mental strength to taper. My depression and derealization  is worsening past fees days because of it , not the withdrawal I don’t think.  

Prozac was never my medicine. It was only to be used as a bridge. It never worked and clearly made things worse/ so I don’t think staying on it it for two years to taper is going to work. Of all the ssris I have ever tried it has been the worst and so staying on it as my stanilizing and tapering drug is very hard for Me to wrap my head around when it’s not only not working but is poisoning me the most despite always having been at a relatively low dose.  I am truly stuck more than I ever thought. I don’t want to make anymore decisions. And if it were not for the tongue twitch then I would just stay, but this is really perplexing me. 

I know I am rambling. I am in distress. I don’t know what’s going to happen or what I am going to do. I really want to take y’all’s advice but this stupid tongue twitcch!! I do know I am going to at least try another dose decrease first . I want to wait two weeks but every day I am at my current dose I am so anxious because I know it is a dose I definitely get tongue twitches at. So I may wait just one week, especially if twitching gets worse. If it gets better I will wait two weeks. It will have been 5 weeks since starting to decrease to 7.4 aside from the updose days. 

2000-2017Paxil 40 mg and Zoloft usually 100 mg most these years

2018-1.5 year pooped out reinstatement of Zoloft 100.

feb 2020 lexapro 10 mg but developed tinnitus and palls. taperoff lex in June

9/22/20: dropped 2.5 mg lexapro to 0 and started 10 mg Prozac Akathisia and insomnia and worse depression began after dropping to 2.5 (be4 starting Prozac) .

9/20:  6 weeks intermittent but consistent Ativan and klonopin
10/22/20: last dose of klon

and dropped to 8 mg prozac

12-19-20: decreased Prozac to 7.4 
1-5-21: 7.68 prozac with adv effects so  1-7-21: back to 7.4 

Kristinhopes

I am Having worsening tremor and panic and brain fog about an hour after taking my dose. Tongue twitch continues. Since it has been 4 weeks since decreasing to 7.4 aside from the adverse updose days, and I am having adverse effects, would it be feasible to go ahead and drop another 10%? Also since I never stabilized and am having adverse effects in addition, how will a taper work? Like am I going to be miserable regardless now for the two years of tapering?  I am also having panic and anxiety which could be the Prozac if withdrawal or just anxiety about twitch and everything. My anxiety is especially bad around 8 hours after Prozac, within the hour after taking the prozac, and in the mornings upon waking. It’s definitely been at a level where I would have normally reached for a benzo and am trying very hard to not do that. I mean I’m not going to do that. But sure am suffering . I can try to wait 1 more week I suppose. But it feels like I am further poisoning myself in the meantime. Any time it would be advisable to go ahead and drop?

2000-2017Paxil 40 mg and Zoloft usually 100 mg most these years

2018-1.5 year pooped out reinstatement of Zoloft 100.

feb 2020 lexapro 10 mg but developed tinnitus and palls. taperoff lex in June

9/22/20: dropped 2.5 mg lexapro to 0 and started 10 mg Prozac Akathisia and insomnia and worse depression began after dropping to 2.5 (be4 starting Prozac) .

9/20:  6 weeks intermittent but consistent Ativan and klonopin
10/22/20: last dose of klon

and dropped to 8 mg prozac

12-19-20: decreased Prozac to 7.4 
1-5-21: 7.68 prozac with adv effects so  1-7-21: back to 7.4