SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Alynna8's Son: need help for young son - risperidone taper

Alynna8

My 12 year old son has severe adhd and Asperger's or ASD. He was put on 1mg of respiridone and bumped up to 2mg. Around this time, I started dealing with seratonin syndrome and subsequent withdrawal from effexor and prozac. Through this and my subsequent research I found out what a nightmare these drugs are. I since dropped his dose from 2 mg to 1. He was only at 2mg for 1 month. Ever since he has been EXTREMELY hyper, negative and oppositional, hitting himself. Should I go back up and taper him more slowly? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Alynna8 - Effexor XR - since 2013 up to 225mg. At 187.5 started tapering in July 2020. At 112.5 doctor added prozac 30 mg. Had to abruptly discontinue both due to seratonin syndrome on Sept 19th 2020. Reinstated 8 beads of effexor on October 15th 2020. 

Suboxone - started at 24 mg a day November 2007. Now at 1/8th a 2mg strip daily.

Xyrem - for narcolepsy since April 2018 at 3.75 and 2.75 g per night.

My sons medications-

He was on adderall 20 mg but has been of for several months now. 

He current meds are respiridone 1mg.

He was on 2 mg and we went to 1mg approximately around mid September 2020. He has been on it since around May or June of this year.

He also takes clonidine 1mg two times per day. I am giving him a multivitamin, omega 3s, magnesium, vitamin c and d3.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Alynna8: need help for young son - risperidone taper
  • Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Alynna8 said:

My 12 year old son has severe adhd and Asperger's or ASD. He was put on 1mg of respiridone and bumped up to 2mg.

Alynna, is your child on drugs for ADHD? If so, please list them and any other drugs he's taking. 

10 hours ago, Alynna8 said:

I since dropped his dose from 2 mg to 1. He was only at 2mg for 1 month.

When was he placed on Risperidone?  You may try increasing the dose from 1 mg to 1.5 mg to see if that helps. You can become dependent on a drug (including an increase in a drug's dose) in only a month, so he may very well be dealing with withdrawal. 

Please give us a complete timeline of your son's psychiatric drug history, including all drugs and doses and the dates. Is he taking any supplements? Please also list those. 

• Administrator

Hello, Alynna.

I am concerned about the serotonin syndrome. How long was your son taking Effexor and Prozac together? What were his symptoms?

Are you still seeing the doctor who prescribed these drugs together? Is this doctor a psychiatrist?

After your son went off both antidepressants on September 19, what was the effect on his behavior? How soon after that did you decrease risperidone to 1mg?

How long has he been taking risperidone? Please put the risperidone information in your signature, with ADHD drugs if he is also taking them.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

I am concerned about the serotonin syndrome. How long was your son taking Effexor and Prozac together? What were his symptoms?

19 hours ago, Alynna8 said:

Around this time, I started dealing with seratonin syndrome and subsequent withdrawal from effexor and prozac.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Alynna, please put your son's recent drug history in your signature as well, marking which is his and which is yours. Thanks.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

14 hours ago, Shep said:

Alynna, is your child on drugs for ADHD? If so, please list them and any other drugs he's taking. 

When was he placed on Risperidone?  You may try increasing the dose from 1 mg to 1.5 mg to see if that helps. You can become dependent on a drug (including an increase in a drug's dose) in only a month, so he may very well be dealing with withdrawal. 

Please give us a complete timeline of your son's psychiatric drug history, including all drugs and doses and the dates. Is he taking any supplements? Please also list those. 

He was on 2 mg and we went to 1mg approximately 4-5 weeks ago. He has been on it for about 6 -7 months.

He also takes clonidine 1mg two times per day.

I am giving him a multivitamin, omega 3s, magnesium, vitamin c and d3.

Alynna8 - Effexor XR - since 2013 up to 225mg. At 187.5 started tapering in July 2020. At 112.5 doctor added prozac 30 mg. Had to abruptly discontinue both due to seratonin syndrome on Sept 19th 2020. Reinstated 8 beads of effexor on October 15th 2020. 

Suboxone - started at 24 mg a day November 2007. Now at 1/8th a 2mg strip daily.

Xyrem - for narcolepsy since April 2018 at 3.75 and 2.75 g per night.

My sons medications-

He was on 2 mg and we went to 1mg approximately around mid September 2020. He has been on it since around May or June of this year.

He also takes clonidine 1mg two times per day. I am giving him a multivitamin, omega 3s, magnesium, vitamin c and d3.

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Alynna8 said:

How was this drug stopped?  If tapered please state dose and length of time at each dose if you don't know the dates.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• ChessieCat changed the title to Alynna8's Son: need help for young son - risperidone taper
  • Moderator Emeritus

I've changed the title to Alynna8's Son to try to make it more obvious which person the Intro is about.

• Moderator Emeritus

Alynna, there's a "moderate" drug interaction between clonodine and risperidone:

Drug interaction checker - clonidine and risperidone

What time(s) does your son take his drug and his supplements? 

If his nervous system is now hyper-sensitive, he may also be reacting to the vitamin D and multivitamin (especially those that contain B12). Please see:

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol or calcitriol)

Vitamin B12: essential for mood, nervous system