GottaBeStrong: started back on Lexapro - been a nightmare

GottaBeStrong

Long story short, I been on and off antidepressants since I was 15, I’m 32 now. The last 2 times I have started back on have been the worse I have felt in my life. Depression, Anxiety, insomnia  have been unbearable. I’ve had mood swings where I’m very depressed in the mornings but as the day goes on I’m fairly better, more so by the evenings. Iv been paroniod and obsessing that I’m “bipolar”. I’m starting to feel some normalcy after about 4 weeks back on the Lexapro  but still not stable. After these last 2 experiences with Lexapro, I don’t trust these meds at all anymore. But at the same time, I can’t get out of my head that I’m gonna experience some bipolar episodes or loose it without it. I hope to be off these meds one day. 

Edited by Gridley

2004-2007 put on Prozac low dosage for anxiety/social anxiety/ GAD at 15 year old 

2007-present on and off Lexapro 10mg 

2016- tapered off Lexapro in about 3-4 months. Was off for about 8 months and reinstated due to anxiety. 

2017- reinstated Lexapro and testosterone . Started with 20 mg for 2 days (terrible mistake).Had an adverse reaction. Dealt with Symptoms I had never dealt with in my life for about 10 weeks. Suicidal thoughts, insomnia, severely depressed, mood swings ( would be terribly depressed through the day and would let up in the evening) dp/dr, paranoid I was bipolar, agitated, irritable, no appetite, diarrhea, nauseated, etc... went back down to 5mg and eventually back up to 10 mg. Stabilized after 12 weeks. 
2017- tapered off testosterone 

2018- tapered down to one Lexapro 10mg pill per week.

October 2020- reinstated Lexapro consistently. Tiltered up from 2.5 to 10 mg. Had same adverse reaction as last time but not as intense. Been 3 weeks now on 10mg. Seeing some small improvements. Doc looking to put me back on testosterone.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, GottaBeStrong.

We need a little more information before we can advise you.   In particular, we need to know how fast you went off your drugs before reinstating including dates and dosages.  This information can go in the link below.  We are a site for helping people go off psychiatric drugs and deal with withdrawal.  Are you interested in tapering the Lexapro?

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Please include the dosage and dates of the last two times you went back on the Lexapro and also the dates and dosages and taper rate of how you went off the Lexapro prior to trying to reinstate.  You'll need to use a computer rather than a phone.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

2 hours ago, GottaBeStrong said:

I’m starting to feel some normalcy after about 4 weeks back on the Lexapro  but still not stable.

That's an encouraging sign of healing.  This link explains the ealing process really well.

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that ae single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, answer my questions, ask your own questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I think I’ve got the signature part now on here. Yes I would eventually like to taper the Lexapro and stay off for good. For now I’ve got to get in a better place mentally. These last 2 times reinstating has really messed with me mentally. 

2004-2007 put on Prozac low dosage for anxiety/social anxiety/ GAD at 15 year old 

2016- tapered off Lexapro in about 3-4 months. Was off for about 8 months and reinstated due to anxiety. 

2017- reinstated Lexapro and testosterone . Started with 20 mg for 2 days (terrible mistake).Had an adverse reaction. Dealt with Symptoms I had never dealt with in my life for about 10 weeks. Suicidal thoughts, insomnia, severely depressed, mood swings ( would be terribly depressed through the day and would let up in the evening) dp/dr, paranoid I was bipolar, agitated, irritable, no appetite, diarrhea, nauseated, etc... went back down to 5mg and eventually back up to 10 mg. Stabilized after 12 weeks. 

October 2020- reinstated Lexapro consistently. Tiltered up from 2.5 to 10 mg. Had same adverse reaction as last time but not as intense. Been 3 weeks now on 10mg. Seeing some small improvements. Doc looking to put me back on testosterone.

I don’t have a computer at this time. Although I did put some information on here with my phone. Not sure if it’s visible to everyone or not.

• Moderator Emeritus
50 minutes ago, GottaBeStrong said:

Not sure if it’s visible to everyone or not

I can see it.  Thank you.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to GottaBeStrong: started back on Lexapro - been a nightmare

Has anybody else experienced anything like this? The not being able to sleep is getting to me. I don’t understand how a medicine can make you feel so much worse before better? Although I’m not in the place I was when I first started back on the medicine consistently, I’m still in a bad place. My main problem is not being able to sleep. Which I believe creates other issues. I have some small panick attacks in the morning sometimes but not as frequent as I did. Still a low mood throughout the day until evening? 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, GottaBeStrong said:

Has anybody else experienced anything like this? The not being able to sleep is getting to me

Insomnia is one of the most common withdrawal symptoms.  Here are some links to help with insomnia.

Relaxation exercises, guided meditations, calming videos, sleep hypnosis

Tricks and tips to fall asleep faster

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/02/16/tips-tricks-fall-asleep-faster.aspx?utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20170216Z1&et_cid=DM133787&et_rid=1889748952

This link contains helpful information, including insomnia and also non-drug coping skills.  

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Some members have found Melatonin helpful with insomnia.   

Melatonin for sleep  

It's best to start at a very low dosage, such as .25mg, and gradually increase if needed to the lowest effective dose. 

1 hour ago, GottaBeStrong said:

I have some small panick attacks in the morning sometimes but not as frequent as I did.

The fact that you're improving is a sign of healing.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

I’m not withdrawing. I’m back on the Lexapro for 4 weeks now. As I mentioned reinstating the Lexapro the last 2 times have been a nightmare but I’ve also started testosterone like last time and it seems to help a lot.

Has any one else experienced tapering off to one Lexapro 10mg pill a week for 2 years and done fine but when reinstating consistently became much worse? I’m starting to see some improvement after 4 weeks but was very very bad the first 3 weeks.