Rhiannon

The slowness of slow tapers (micro-taper)

LexAnger

indigo,

Thanks for responding and the update!

It sound the slow taper wored for you rather well. I'm happy for you and glad to hear that!

0.1 ml cut is more than 10% still. You may want to cut even smaller than that. My cut is less than 1% still brutal. Compound pharmacy is a good idea giving the high cncebpntration of the liquid you are using.

My main issue most days are still the pain, numbness and needling. They are almost daily and very disturnbing and sometimes intolerable. I also consider holding longer like you said the WD can be cumulative.in the past year I got down 1 mg, I may need to go half of that for the coming years.

You take care and be gentle to yourself.

Lex

Castor

Hi friends, 

I wonder if the very slow taper pace, and intermittent holds, will work for neuroleptics? I am on Seroquel and I am having a pretty rough time of it. My last reduction was in late April-- 450mg to 400mg-- but since then I have tried to make two reductions  (50mg several weeks ago, and 12.5mg last week) and both failed miserably. The result is I felt I had no choice but to updose after both failed reductions, so I am now on 600mg. :( This has been really demoralizing and disheartening, especially since I am still experiencing very intense somatic symptoms in the nighttime (head pressure/pain).

Any feedback would be welcome! 

Cas

elgee

Hi Cas

I used this method to taper off benzos and am now going this route to get off gabapentin. It is the only hope I have to make it off in one piece. I don't see why it wouldn't work for someone tapering neuroleptics. If i were you I would start off with an even smaller cut and go from there.

Elgee

brassmonkey

Hi Caster-- there should be no problem following a slow or micro taper schedule with Seroquel.  The important thing is to not go faster or bigger than what is advised.  Looking at what you just wrote your first drop was fine at just over 10%, but the other drops were too big and too close together.  It would be a good idea to spent a month or so on the 600mg just to let things settle out then start your slow taper. There is good information at the beginning of this thread on how to do the slow taper.  You've probably already read it but take another look at the thread on tapering Seroquel.

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

Lexy

I've been slow tapering effexor XR and venlafaxine immediate since Jan 2013. I'm down to 16.96mg

My main symptoms are chronic fatigue and body pain especially knees. Have any of slow taperers experienced these wds?

I read in other people's posts that some got better with these particular symptoms after totally done.

Ip51

I, too, had succumbed to the very slow taper and did well at first/  Now I had to basically give up and went to a compound pharmacy to keep things at the 6mg I had made it to.  I had to stop being in withdrawal all the time.  It felt like my life was taken away and I was a mess each time I tried to lower. I was going down by hairlines and had reached the point that I would have to titrate (add liquid so I could go even slower)  BUT I was done.  So won't go any further.  I refuse to spend the rest of my life (which is how long it would take) withdrawing and feeling aweful all the time.  

So, things are at an even keel as long as I take the 6mg pills every night.  Sad, but hey, no more trauma.  A nice change.

I have heard Paxil is impossible to stop and I believe it.  It was either, go through a constant withdrawal for the rest of my life or give it up and just pay the drug company (the drug pushers) for addicting me and be at peace.

End of story.

Good luck to all those who are trying to end the addiction nightmare. 

And good luck to those, like myself, who aren't willing to be in a state of withdrawal forever and had to stop.

LexAnger

Gosh I'm so disappointed in reading this thread. I thought by going so slow I would be able to get off with much less difficulty however as I read this thread it is apparent that's not the case. I hope we can all carry on to the finish line and be rid of this evil once and for all. Hugs

Hi Lexy,

I'm sorry you found it disappointing from couple of the not so positive experience with the slow taper. I believe you already learned how different each individual can be in relationship to this scenario even the med history is very similar so you really don't want to compare to anyone else. As I mentioned, I read many got out with slow taper, some even got all the way down with none or minimal symptoms. As for me, I believe if I started the slow taper before jumping around so many times in the first few years and literally CTed tons of times by on/off the drug, my system would not have been harmed and sensitized that badly, my slow taper would be a much smoother and easier journey and won't be stucked in the middle. Your taper has been steady and your system is not super sensitized which is more important for a success and safe WD.

I truely believe your case is much much better and you won't have hiccups like what I had.

Lex

KarenB

Gosh I'm so disappointed in reading this thread. I thought by going so slow I would be able to get off with much less difficulty however as I read this thread it is apparent that's not the case. I hope we can all carry on to the finish line and be rid of this evil once and for all. Hugs

I'd been feeling a bit the same Lexy, on first reading these latest posts.  But I've been thinking about it overnight, and in the end I still feel really positive about becoming drug-free.  As LexAnger said, each person and case is so completely different. 

But also, this is still not the end of the story for any of the people on this forum - there may be further developments in each person's story as time goes on.  The stories may yet become stories with good endings.  Especially in these really drawn-out cases.  So often since I've been in withdrawal I've been reminded of being in child-birth!!  Of that point (usually near the end) where you feel you've given everything you've got and you simply can't go on, it's just too terrible and un-ending.  Well that's usually the turning point, and babies are born fairly soon after that.

Anyway, I often think of that when I feel really stuck :blink:.  Things have a way of going on even if we don't know how the heck it will happen.  I ended up with two baby girls, and now I hope to end up with a new me :D

Love,

Karen

Ip51

Just so you don't lose hope. Just because some can't get off he antidepressants, like me!, doesn't mean it is hopeless. I got odd lorazepam which is also highly addictive. I switched to Valium which is easier to withdraw from, then went down slowly. It took 11months but it is done! I can even take it on rare occasions and not get hooked again. So, very successful taper, just not with Paxil. Don't know why except it was really really bad and would take years so I made. Good decision for me only. Everyone is so very different! If you are having success wether fast or slow or very slow, keep the faith. It IS POSSIBLE, we just haveto be and ARE smart about it, unlike so many docs who have no clue whatsoever. Forums like this are priceless. The best support is right here!!

gigi63

It sure would be nice to talk to Rhiannon on here. I agree with her on the sloooooow taper. When it is time to taper again, some day, it will be sooooo sloooow. Thanks Rhiannon for all your good advice!!!!

Carmie

How is everyone doing with their slow tapers? I’ve been tapering for years with the cut and hold method. Have gone through severe withdrawals but have managed to get down from 300mg of seroquel to 7.5mg. Some of my holds were long too as I needed a break from withdrawing. Was thinking of doing a micro taper with the smallest of amounts, I’ve never done one.  Won’t be for a while as I’m still going through withdrawals from my last cut and hold taper.

It took me forever to do the math and I will probably have to change it the lower my dose gets. If I need to hold I’ll hold. Might take me a million years to get off these meds😃.

This is what I’ve figured out for now

A 7.5mg compounded tablet in 300ml of water.

Each ml= 0.025mg

Half a ml=0.012mg

Quarter of a ml= 0.006mg

5% of 7.5mg = 0.37

If I go down by 0.012 for 30 days  that is 0.36mg a month and 1.44mg every four months.

If that ends up being too quick I could go down by a quarter of a ml a day which is 0.006mg which would be 0.72mg every four months, which is a 2.5% cut each month

My brain exploded after having to figure out the math😃, I have Cfs and memory problems, but I got there in the end.

Hope everyone is coping as best they can.

elgee

Hi Carmie,

I’ve been tapering gabapentin for a few years. I never imagined it would take as long as it has to drop from 1500 mgs to 1000. 

A slow taper has allowed me to live a relatively normal life. I’ve read too many horror stories of people tapering too fast and paying a high price. 

Keep up the good work, Carmie! You’re doing a great job.

Elgee

Carmie

Hi Elgee, 

You keep up the the good work too. Slow and steady does it with lots of holds. 

It’s taken me many years to get from 300mgs of Seroquel to 7.5mg. Now that the doses are smaller the cuts become much much smaller too. I’m not rushing it. If it takes me another ten years it takes another ten years.

Our natural inclination is to get off these meds as quick as poossible but I know when I go too quick the akathisia gets unbearable. It’s not worth it, you don’t get any further, you just end up having to make your holds really, really long and you suffer so much more. You haven’t gained any ground.

I think it’s a good idea too occasionally when you stabilise and are ready to do another taper, don’t straight away, allow yourself a month or so of a bit of normalcy and do some things you love to do.

Take care of yourself 

Songbird

That's good advice, Carmie.  You've done a great job tapering down that Seroquel.

Carmie
On 17/04/2018 at 10:40 PM, Songbird said:

That's good advice, Carmie.  You've done a great job tapering down that Seroquel.

Hi Songbird, 

I couldn’t find your thread.

How are you doing with your tapering?

Sending hugs

Mobc1990

I was actually on 2.5mg Olanzapine as my last dose and have been taking 2.5mg for the past 2 month.Last week I saw the 2.5mg pill of Olanzapine but felt it isn’t necessary to cut it anymore so I just stopped it,and I am still doing okay after 1 week,the only issue is insomnia.

i am also taking fish oil everyday and might be getting melatonin for my insomnia if it continue