Marib: need help for Zoloft withdrawal

Marib

So this is kind of a long and winding story but I really need advice and am not feeling good at all. I have taken Zoloft over the course of approximately the last 15 years. I have only ever taken Zoloft up until this most recent episode. I slowly weened off Zoloft the last time over the course of a year or longer to very tiny doses. Started to feel what I thought was relapse but now looking back was probably withdrawal in July 2020. 

Restarted Zoloft very small dose on 7/27/2020 and gradually raised to 75mg. Did 75 mg for a week then went back down to 50mg due to adverse reaction where I was for a few weeks then rapidly went down to 25 mg then 12.5 mg over the course of a couple days. Stopped pretty much C/T due to adverse reaction. Got what I know now to be most likely akathisia and Dystonia. From almost the first dose I was up pacing almost all night and day along with what felt to be an allergic reaction severe head and neck pressure, hard time swallowing, jerking out of sleep, felt like I couldn’t move my eyes. Very weird symptoms. I thought well maybe these are just start up side effects but soon realized something wasn’t rightAnd had never felt this before. But at the time I thought I was going crazy so I went to a psychiatrist and they gave me Topamax 25 mg because he thought I was manic even though I have never had any episodes. I took two doses and felt worse so stopped. That was about the same time I quit the Zoloft from 50mg to 12.5mg in a few days. Then I felt even worse the akathisia was even worse so I went to a mental hospital and checked myself inpatient (even though I had never been to a mental hospital before). They prescribed Lexapro 10mg and Risperidone .5mg and 1mg. I only took one dose of 10 mg Lexapro and two doses of Risperidone .5mg and one dose of 1mg all of which made me feel 10x worse. I left the hospital and they said you have akathisia and It will go away sent me home with propranolol and Benadryl each of which I took for about 7-10 days and it didn’t help and only made me feel worse. I was desperate to relieve the feeling so I contacted the psychiatrist and told them that what they gave me at the hospital wasn’t working so they prescribed benztropine. Which I only took for 3 days and didn’t help and made me feel worse. I let the doctor know again and she prescribed mirtazipine and Klonopin. I was too scared to try the mirtazipine since it is an antidepressant but I tried one dose of Klonopin .5mg and it helped a little but I still felt bad. I have also tried several supplements over the course of this time period to help but nothing has. So now I feel like I had an adverse reaction to Zoloft and probably all the other meds and I’m in withdrawal on top of it. I’m scared to try and reinstate the Zoloft since I had such a bad reaction to it which I am still having but I feel like everything is now 10x worse with withdrawal symptoms as well.

I am currently not taking anything. The worst of my symptoms are: 

• Severe muscle tightness especially in head and neck (before and after Zoloft)
  • Pressure in head especially forehead (before and after Zoloft)
  • Eyeballs feel like they are rapidly twitching every few minutes  (after stopping Zoloft)
  • Around and evening behind eyeballs feel itchy and tingly (after stopping Zoloft)
  • Eyes And eyelids red and itchy (after stopping Zoloft)
  • Pacing nonstop (before and more after Zoloft)
  • Urge to move constantly creepy crawly feeling/electrical sensations (started with Zoloft but getting worse)
  • Muscle pain (mostly after stopping Zoloft)
  • Trouble swallowing (before and after Zoloft)
  • Roof of mouth itches and ears feel full (before and after Zoloft)
  • Chest tingly (after Zoloft)
  • Very tight muscles on the side of neck (before and after Zoloft)
  • Very disoriented and out of it (Before and afternoon zoloft)
  • Spaced out feeling (before and after Zoloft)
  • Feel like memory is gone (before and especially after Zoloft)
  • Cant concentrate (before and especially after Zoloft)
  • Electric zap sensation in my face when falling asleep (Got brain zaps when starting Zoloft but theses sensations feel different after Zoloft)

The worst part of it all it the feeling in my eyes. It feels like my actual eyeballs are twitching rapidly every few minutes and they feel itchy and tingly behind and underneath which is really getting to me. The Klonopin helped with some of the other symptoms but doesn’t help with the eye symptoms which is very distressing. It’s like an itch you can’t scratch. Then of course the constant urge to pace and keep moving. I’ve never experienced anything like this before. I know this is very long and complicated but I really need some input and advice. I don’t trust the doctors since they don’t even really believe in withdrawal. I thought I would feel better by now since I haven’t taken the Zoloft for over a month but I feel almost worse in a way. I’m afraid to reinstate because I had such a bad reaction but I feel like I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place because I had an adverse reaction but I seem to also be in withdrawals. I feel like I would have been better off never reinstating the Zoloft back in July. This is a nightmare. Im afraid it will never end! I have been reading the forums here for the last couple months and I just decided I need help. So that’s why I am finally posting. I have read a lot of horror stories on here of people who have this 5, 7, 20 years out. I am so scared. I know everyone is different but I’m still very scared! Any advice would be very much appreciated. 

Edited by ChessieCat
resized font, added some spacing

2005 to app. mid 2020 Zoloft different doses over the years 100mg was highest but 50 mg was last dose with taper over the last year down to zero.

Tapered and reinstated Zoloft a couple of times throughout the duration of taking.

July 27, 2020 to September 22, 2020 Reinstated low dose Zoloft and increased to 75mg then dropped in stages back to zero due to adverse reaction.

September 17-18, 2020 Topamax 25mg for 2 days

September 24-25, 2020 In-patient 1 dose 10mg Lexapro, 3 doses Risperidone 2x .5mg 1x 1mg

October 1-12, 2020 propranolol and benadryl 

October 15-18 benztropine for 3 days

October 23, 2020 Klonopin .5mg

As of October 24, 2020 drug-free

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Marib.

Here's your drug history as I understand it from your post.

2005 to July, 2020 Zoloft Question: what dose? with taper over one year down to zero.

July 27, 2020 Reinstated low dose Zoloft and increased to 75mg then dropped to in stages to zero due to adverse reaction

Early August, 2020 Topamax 25mg for 2 days

Mid-August, 2020 In-patient 1 dose 10mg Lexapro, 2 doses Risperidone .5mg--1mg

Sept. 2020 propranolol and benadryl for 7-10 days

Sept. 2020 benztropine for 3 days

Oct. 2020 Klonopin .5mg

As of Oct. 2020 drug-free

Please correct any errors, answer my Zoloft dosage question, then pick up the history, click on the link below, paste the information, then press "save."  This drug history will appear beneath all your posts.  You'll need to use a computer rather than a phone.  Here' the link:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

The two significant situations are your taper of Zoloft ending around July, 2020, and the reinstatement of Zoloft in late July/early August 2020.  The symptoms you're now experiencing stem very likely, as you've figured out, from a combination of withdrawal from the Zoloft taper and the adverse reaction

to the reinstatement.  The symptoms of withdrawal and adverse reaction are very similar, if not identical, and many (or most) of the symptoms in your post, including the akathisia and dystonia, are common in withdrawal and adverse reaction.

An adverse reaction means that the drug is (or has become due to sensitization) poison to your system, which rejected the drug and dysregulated your system.  Some people's systems are (or become) too sensitive to tolerate psychiatric drugs.

You will heal from both the withdrawal and the adverse reaction, but unfortunately we can't provide a timeline for when this will happen.  Everyone is different. But it will end.  Don't kick yourself from reinstating back in July.  Every one of us on this site has made mistakes.  Try not to absorb the horror stories.  It's better (and less stressful) to assume that this will end sooner rather than later.   The following links explain the healing process really well.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Sorry to see you’re going through what so many of us are. Yes, all the medical sites say you should be fine a few weeks after quitting, but you can tell by the sheer volume of stories on here that doesn’t seem to be the case! I quit Sertraline cold turkey 5 months ago and had no option to go back on because of the adverse reaction I had when reinstating (had a less intense one when I first started, just didn’t realize it was related to that). It looks like you’re dealing with the same thing. Muscle issues like pain, twitching, spasming, tightening seem to be a big component when going through these withdrawals. I experienced that pretty badly in the beginning and am still going through it to some extent but much less severe. I don’t have a ton of advice except to say that time really does seem to heal. I got my first noticeable window at three months, and even well before that I noticed that other symptoms were slipping away. It just wasn’t noticeable because I didn’t have that feeling of being completely healed. But if you wrote down all the symptoms you have today along with intensity/frequency, I bet you would notice a difference if you checked that list and compared two weeks from now. I wouldn’t focus too much on the symptoms but it does help occasionally to force yourself to realize things are getting better. Also, I try not to worry too much about new symptoms that pop up down the line because it seems to happen to a lot of people. I really do believe that the stories of people experiencing the same withdrawal over ten or twenty years are extremely rare. I’ve read all the success stories on this site and I notice a lot of people having noticeable turning points by 3 to 10 months, huge amount of recovery after 1 year and basically complete recovery another few years after that. You’ve probably even noticed by now that when you’re really distracted by something, your symptoms are way less severe. So 3 months or a year or longer sound so far in the distance right now, but that time is going to pass regardless, and eventually you’ll get there!

400mg SAM-e from ~Feb 10, 2018 to somewhere around July, 2018
25 mg Sertraline from January 2020 to mid April 2020

Cold turkey mid April 2020

Re-instated 25 mg Sertraline from early May 2020 for next three weeks then cold turkey again.

Currently on no meds or supplements.

2 hours ago, SandCastle said:

Sorry to see you’re going through what so many of us are. Yes, all the medical sites say you should be fine a few weeks after quitting, but you can tell by the sheer volume of stories on here that doesn’t seem to be the case! I quit Sertraline cold turkey 5 months ago and had no option to go back on because of the adverse reaction I had when reinstating (had a less intense one when I first started, just didn’t realize it was related to that). It looks like you’re dealing with the same thing. Muscle issues like pain, twitching, spasming, tightening seem to be a big component when going through these withdrawals. I experienced that pretty badly in the beginning and am still going through it to some extent but much less severe. I don’t have a ton of advice except to say that time really does seem to heal. I got my first noticeable window at three months, and even well before that I noticed that other symptoms were slipping away. It just wasn’t noticeable because I didn’t have that feeling of being completely healed. But if you wrote down all the symptoms you have today along with intensity/frequency, I bet you would notice a difference if you checked that list and compared two weeks from now. I wouldn’t focus too much on the symptoms but it does help occasionally to force yourself to realize things are getting better. Also, I try not to worry too much about new symptoms that pop up down the line because it seems to happen to a lot of people. I really do believe that the stories of people experiencing the same withdrawal over ten or twenty years are extremely rare. I’ve read all the success stories on this site and I notice a lot of people having noticeable turning points by 3 to 10 months, huge amount of recovery after 1 year and basically complete recovery another few years after that. You’ve probably even noticed by now that when you’re really distracted by something, your symptoms are way less severe. So 3 months or a year or longer sound so far in the distance right now, but that time is going to pass regardless, and eventually you’ll get there!

Hi SandCastle,

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I am really scared right now but I know healing will come eventually. Hopefully sooner than later. 

2005 to app. mid 2020 Zoloft different doses over the years 100mg was highest but 50 mg was last dose with taper over the last year down to zero.

Tapered and reinstated Zoloft a couple of times throughout the duration of taking.

July 27, 2020 to September 22, 2020 Reinstated low dose Zoloft and increased to 75mg then dropped in stages back to zero due to adverse reaction.

September 24-25, 2020 In-patient 1 dose 10mg Lexapro, 3 doses Risperidone 2x .5mg 1x 1mg

2 hours ago, Gridley said:

Welcome to SA, Marib.

Here's your drug history as I understand it from your post.

2005 to July, 2020 Zoloft Question: what dose? with taper over one year down to zero.

July 27, 2020 Reinstated low dose Zoloft and increased to 75mg then dropped to in stages to zero due to adverse reaction

Early August, 2020 Topamax 25mg for 2 days

Mid-August, 2020 In-patient 1 dose 10mg Lexapro, 2 doses Risperidone .5mg--1mg

Sept. 2020 propranolol and benadryl for 7-10 days

Sept. 2020 benztropine for 3 days

Oct. 2020 Klonopin .5mg

As of Oct. 2020 drug-free

Please correct any errors, answer my Zoloft dosage question, then pick up the history, click on the link below, paste the information, then press "save."  This drug history will appear beneath all your posts.  You'll need to use a computer rather than a phone.  Here' the link:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

The two significant situations are your taper of Zoloft ending around July, 2020, and the reinstatement of Zoloft in late July/early August 2020.  The symptoms you're now experiencing stem very likely, as you've figured out, from a combination of withdrawal from the Zoloft taper and the adverse reaction

to the reinstatement.  The symptoms of withdrawal and adverse reaction are very similar, if not identical, and many (or most) of the symptoms in your post, including the akathisia and dystonia, are common in withdrawal and adverse reaction.

An adverse reaction means that the drug is (or has become due to sensitization) poison to your system, which rejected the drug and dysregulated your system.  Some people's systems are (or become) too sensitive to tolerate psychiatric drugs.

You will heal from both the withdrawal and the adverse reaction, but unfortunately we can't provide a timeline for when this will happen.  Everyone is different. But it will end.  Don't kick yourself from reinstating back in July.  Every one of us on this site has made mistakes.  Try not to absorb the horror stories.  It's better (and less stressful) to assume that this will end sooner rather than later.   The following links explain the healing process really well.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Hi Gridley,

Thank you so much for responding to me. I'm kind of thinking that some of this was coming on from my previous withdrawal before I reinstated in July (at least the akathisia) maybe I was mistaking it for anxiety. I have been on and off Zoloft over the years a couple times and never had this reaction. I was always sensitive to it and had side effects but never to this point I always seemed to level out. I guess we will never know but reinstating definitely compounded whatever was going on. I guess I wanted to get advice about potentially reinstating again even though I had the adverse reaction. I know everyone is different and you shouldn't make decisions based on others experiences but I have been researching a lot and it seems like the people who went off cold turkey which I did this last time end up having these symptoms that never go away, whereas people who have tapered have gotten better. I know you have to reinstate within a relatively short period of time if you are going to. Right now the symptoms I am having are almost unbearable. I only stopped Zoloft September 22, 2020 so i know it hasn't been that long but I just don't know which way to go. I know nobody has a crystal ball but I'm just worried I will never get rid of these symptoms if I make the wrong decision. I obviously had a bad reaction when I reinstated in July but maybe if I taper I will have a better chance of the symptoms going away. Right now I am pacing almost nonstop because of the electric shock sensations behind my eyes and throughout my body. I can't concentrate on anything or remember anything. My eyeballs feel like they are twitching all the time. I am almost non functional right now. The one dose of Klonopin made me very out of it. It relaxed my muscles but not the electric shock sensations. So I'm not sure if the electric shock sensation came from the adverse reaction or going off the Zoloft pretty much cold turkey. I was only taking it from July 27 to September 22 but I pretty much still went off cold turkey. I know I sound like I'm rambling but the symptoms especially the electric shocks behind my eyes are really bad (I could deal with the other symptoms) and I don't know if reinstating the Zoloft or waiting it out is my best option. I don't want this to last forever. The only other people I have read about that had the electric shock behind the eyes sensation cold turkeyed and never got better (I know everyone is different but I found several cases like that). Please let me know what you think. Thank you!

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Marib said:

I have been on and off Zoloft over the years a couple times and never had this reaction.

Your system gets sensitized the more times you stop and start a drug.

1 hour ago, Marib said:

who went off cold turkey which I did this last time end up having these symptoms that never go away,

We all get better, cold turkey or not.  Shep, one of our administrators, cold-turkeyed or fast tapered (which amounts to about the same thing) off many classes of drugs (antidepressants, antipsychotics, benzos, more) and is now doing very well.  Here's her success story with a link to her withdrawal story.

Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

1 hour ago, Marib said:

I guess I wanted to get advice about potentially reinstating again even though I had the adverse reaction.

I wouldn't.  Your body is telling you it doesn't want this (or probably any) drug.  

Be very careful with the Klonopin.  You can become physiologically dependent within 10 days of regular use and also from intermittent use.

Don't forget the magnesium and omegas I suggested in my first post.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

31 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Your system gets sensitized the more times you stop and start a drug.

We all get better, cold turkey or not.  Shep, one of our administrators, cold-turkeyed or fast tapered (which amounts to about the same thing) off many classes of drugs (antidepressants, antipsychotics, benzos, more) and is now doing very well.  Here's her success story with a link to her withdrawal story.

Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

I wouldn't.  Your body is telling you it doesn't want this (or probably any) drug.  

Be very careful with the Klonopin.  You can become physiologically dependent within 10 days of regular use and also from intermittent use.

Don't forget the magnesium and omegas I suggested in my first post.

Thanks Gridley,

That is sound advice! I guess now that I had this last adverse reaction I have been looking back and realizing that over the years of taking Zoloft (each time I have went on and off) my central nervous system has taken a beating both physically and mentally. There are several physical things that I have just been thinking about that have never really come back and have now gotten worse that I am now realizing we’re probably from Zoloft. So I guess I feel like my body has taken one final hit from this last reinstatement and these newest physical symptoms won’t go away. The most troubling as I mentioned being the electrical sensations behind eyes and throughout the body (maybe a version of akathisia). That is the most troubling part, that I won’t be able to recover from that particular symptom. I can deal with the other ones. It is the most horrible sensation that I can’t even describe it. I’m just hoping some how some way even if the other symptoms don't go away this one will soon. It almost feels like a Tardive dyskinesia of sorts. I don’t want to take anymore meds they have all seemed to make me worse anyways. I’m just trying to think of how I can survive that particular symptom until maybe it lessens or hopefully goes away. It really is unbearable at this point. Anyways guess I’m just venting at this point but maybe you have a thought about that particular symptom. It’s really scary since I have been reading all these people that have it and it never goes away. I know stop reading negative stuff but unfortunately it feels like reality. 

oh also I smoke cigarettes pretty heavily even more now that this has happened. I’m sure that aggravates the nervous system. I don’t want to just stop because that could aggravate my nervous system too. But smoking can’t be good for healing any thoughts?

• Moderator Emeritus
8 minutes ago, Marib said:

That is the most troubling part, that I won’t be able to recover from that particular symptom.

I wouldn't be so sure that you won't recover.  I know it's terrible, but give it time.

10 minutes ago, Marib said:

maybe you have a thought about that particular symptom

I don't have a thought about that particular symptom, except give it time to heal.  Take good care of yourself, avoid stress as much as possible, and settle in to heal.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

10 minutes ago, Gridley said:

I wouldn't be so sure that you won't recover.  I know it's terrible, but give it time.

I don't have a thought about that particular symptom, except give it time to heal.  Take good care of yourself, avoid stress as much as possible, and settle in to heal.

Thanks again Gridley,

Any thoughts on the smoking cigarettes? It can’t be good for healing but I don’t want to make anymore abrupt changes to nervous system. 

• Moderator Emeritus
45 minutes ago, Marib said:

Any thoughts on the smoking cigarettes? It can’t be good for healing but I don’t want to make anymore abrupt changes to nervous system. 

I wouldn't cold turkey.  Maybe cut down if you can.  I don't know much about the protocols for stopping smoking, but, despite the health problems of smoking, it might be worse at this point to add an additional stressor.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• ChessieCat changed the title to Marib: need help for Zoloft withdrawal
46 minutes ago, Gridley said:

I wouldn't cold turkey.  Maybe cut down if you can.  I don't know much about the protocols for stopping smoking, but, despite the health problems of smoking, it might be worse at this point to add an additional stressor.

Gotcha, makes sense. Thanks so much for your help!

18 hours ago, Gridley said:

Hi Gridley,

I have been seeing that a lot of people with adverse reactions to SSRIs don’t have the history I have with being on and off Zoloft for so long. It seems like most of them took it once or twice for a short period and then stopped. I was wondering if my history on Zoloft makes my outcome any worse than anybody else’s? Just curious of your opinion.  

Do you think that even though I had the adverse reaction, tapering off might have been better for long term outcome? Or would it have just made it worse to keep taking it? 

Also, just wanted to see if you have seen any other members that had a similar symptom to me that went away or at least eased up? The symptom I’m referring to is the eyes shaking real quick every few minutes and sending an electric zap sensation behind the eye and into throat, chest, and into legs. This is particularly horrible. I have had brain zaps before but this feels different. That is why I have been pacing nonstop I guess because I can’t stand the sensations when Im sitting still. I guess that’s akathisia, does this tend to at least fade a little bit. Am I just going to be pacing nonstop forever?

Sorry for so many questions just really nervous right now having very scary symptoms, as I know a lot of people are having as well. Does it seem to be the trend from what you have seen that the symptoms appearing towards the beginning fad away? I have been noticing some minor changes but I don’t know if they are towards the positive or negative. 

Im trying to stay positive it is just really hard and I am constantly replaying in my head that I will be stuck like this for a long time. I know measuring progress day to day isn’t good but it’s hard. I just want to at least be functional again. 

Thanks for your help btw!

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Marib said:

It seems like most of them took it once or twice for a short period and then stopped. I was wondering if my history on Zoloft makes my outcome any worse than anybody else’s? Just curious of your opinion.  

I would say that a large percentage (I don't know the exact numbers) have been on these drug for a long time, some as long as you've been on the Zoloft and longer and have recovered and done well.  Many have gone on and off as you have, and many have a more complicated history of polydrugging, and they're healing or healed.  You've very fortunate to have been on just the one drug.  I just finished tapering off Lexapro after being on the drug for over 16 years and I'm doing well.  Really, you are right in the mainstream of the membership here.

1 hour ago, Marib said:

Or would it have just made it worse to keep taking it? 

Every time you go on and off a drug such as Zoloft, your system becomes more and more sensitized.  A person can go on and off a drug and "get away with it" then the next time their system is too sensitized to tolerate the drug.  This is called kindling and may account for your adverse reaction after years of tolerating the drug.  Since you had an adverse reaction, I would not advise you to reinstate the drug.  It is likely to make things worse.  

1 hour ago, Marib said:

symptom I’m referring to is the eyes shaking real quick every few minutes and sending an electric zap sensation behind the eye and into throat, chest, and into legs.

I'm not familiar with tis particular symptom, but in our experience all adverse effect/withdrawal symptoms fade in time.

1 hour ago, Marib said:

That is why I have been pacing nonstop I guess because I can’t stand the sensations when Im sitting still. I guess that’s akathisia, does this tend to at least fade a little bit. Am I just going to be pacing nonstop forever?

This is a well-known symptom that does fade in time.

1 hour ago, Marib said:

am constantly replaying in my head that I will be stuck like this for a long time.

I know it's hard for you to escape those thought patterns, but it would be good for you if you could.  Assume the best, that the eye symptom will get better, that the akathisia will get better, and that this will happen sooner rather than later.  A good idea is to read the stories in the success stories forum on our main page.  You could print some out to have them at hand.  You could also Google SurvivingAntidepressants.org Zoloft success stories and print those out.  It would be good to submerge yourself in positive things like success stories to get you away from the fear.

Vision symptoms are a very common withdrawal effects.  They can be very varied.  I didn't a post describing precisely what you're experiencing, but one post I noticed was one by Alotstra, founder of this site, in which she said,  "If it's withdrawal related, it will change and get better in time."

Vision symptoms: floaters, snow, blurred/dimmed vision ...

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

35 minutes ago, Gridley said:

I would say that a large percentage (I don't know the exact numbers) have been on these drug for a long time, some as long as you've been on the Zoloft and longer and have recovered and done well.  Many have gone on and off as you have, and many have a more complicated history of polydrugging, and they're healing or healed.  You've very fortunate to have been on just the one drug.  I just finished tapering off Lexapro after being on the drug for over 16 years and I'm doing well.  Really, you are right in the mainstream of the membership here.

Every time you go on and off a drug such as Zoloft, your system becomes more and more sensitized.  A person can go on and off a drug and "get away with it" then the next time their system is too sensitized to tolerate the drug.  This is called kindling and may account for your adverse reaction after years of tolerating the drug.  Since you had an adverse reaction, I would not advise you to reinstate the drug.  It is likely to make things worse.  

I'm not familiar with tis particular symptom, but in our experience all adverse effect/withdrawal symptoms fade in time.

I know it's hard for you to escape those thought patterns, but it would be good for you if you could.  Assume the best, that the eye symptom will get better, that the akathisia will get better, and that this will happen sooner rather than later.  A good idea is to read the stories in the success stories forum on our main page.  You could print some out to have them at hand.  You could also Google SurvivingAntidepressants.org Zoloft success stories and print those out.  It would be good to submerge yourself in positive things like success stories to get you away from the fear.

Vision symptoms are a very common withdrawal effects.  They can be very varied.  I didn't a post describing precisely what you're experiencing, but one post I noticed was one by Alotstra, founder of this site, in which she said,  "If it's withdrawal related, it will change and get better in time."

Thanks Gridley, 

I appreciate your time and input!

Hi Marib,

I'm fairly new to this forum as well :)  Started a slow taper of my AD a few weeks ago.  Although we are in different positions medicinally and at different stages I've had experienced similar symptoms as you.  I wish I had more tips for you but most of what I've learned involves time. Waiting. I read your symptoms and it sounds like you might be a little dehydrated.  Zoloft can do that (I had that issue too).  A few things I've done to cope:  Wore sunglasses, even at home.  Kept the lights dim.  Used a simple saline solution (eye drops) so they wouldn't dry out.  A mild moisturizer to keep the itching down.  Lozenges to keep your mouth moist (I just sucked on one one tic tac). Daily, 15 min sessions on a seat massager (not for too long; for my back, neck, shoulders).  Hot/cold compresses on my temples and head.  Lastly I worked at not beating myself up for not being "tough".  I coddled myself a bit and if I felt like crying I did so and let it out.  You are going through very harsh changes and deserve a break. We can be our harshest critic but I imagine you are actually quite strong and a fighter!  

Your question about smoking intrigued me.  I was an on/off smoker. I in the past I noticed that the worse I felt the more I had an urge to smoke.  It was mind bending because my brain was constantly saying smoke would help (for a long time it did).  After I got sick from the meds I noticed a pattern.  Not as bad when I first got up but that it worsened.  It took a while to realize that and even more time figuring out that caused the symptoms to worsen (or maybe I just didn't want it to be true, lol).

I'm curious about your experience. Have you noticed that smoking worsens the severity of your symptoms in any way?  I'm especially interesting in the first one of the day.  I don't think my issue was nicotine but the carcinogens. Best of luck to you!

Cymbalta:  Currently 48.5 mg.  Previously 60 mg, 2011-Oct 2020.  

Taper Oct 11-13 (three day reduction of 30 mg relieved many Serotonin Toxicity symptoms but WD became too harsh). Oct 14- 24 (eleven day reduction of 10%, 54 mg).  Oct 25  (began second reduction of 10%, 48.5 mg; holding to stabilize and work on schedule).  

Zoloft  100 mg. 1993-2000 Stopped CT for pregnancy twice, then it pooped out.  Reinstated 2011-2020.    

Taper attempt:  Oct 17-24 (seven days at 87.5 mg was discontinued; reinstated to 100 mg). 

Buprenorphine: 8 mg (4 mg 2x day @ 4pm and 1am)  Atenolol: 25 mg (max 2x day; prn).  Xanax: .125 mg (max 3x day; prn; average 2x).  HRT: Transdermal weekly patch.  Melatonin OTC:  2.5 mg, sleep.  Magnesium Citrate OTC: 125 mg, dinner.

Oct-Nov 2020:  Discontinued Simvastatin 20 mg, Magnesium Glycinate, Vitamin D, and Chia Seed Extract. Growing sensitivities.

11 hours ago, AJ716 said:

Hi Marib,

I'm fairly new to this forum as well :)  Started a slow taper of my AD a few weeks ago.  Although we are in different positions medicinally and at different stages I've had experienced similar symptoms as you.  I wish I had more tips for you but most of what I've learned involves time. Waiting. I read your symptoms and it sounds like you might be a little dehydrated.  Zoloft can do that (I had that issue too).  A few things I've done to cope:  Wore sunglasses, even at home.  Kept the lights dim.  Used a simple saline solution (eye drops) so they wouldn't dry out.  A mild moisturizer to keep the itching down.  Lozenges to keep your mouth moist (I just sucked on one one tic tac). Daily, 15 min sessions on a seat massager (not for too long; for my back, neck, shoulders).  Hot/cold compresses on my temples and head.  Lastly I worked at not beating myself up for not being "tough".  I coddled myself a bit and if I felt like crying I did so and let it out.  You are going through very harsh changes and deserve a break. We can be our harshest critic but I imagine you are actually quite strong and a fighter!  

Your question about smoking intrigued me.  I was an on/off smoker. I in the past I noticed that the worse I felt the more I had an urge to smoke.  It was mind bending because my brain was constantly saying smoke would help (for a long time it did).  After I got sick from the meds I noticed a pattern.  Not as bad when I first got up but that it worsened.  It took a while to realize that and even more time figuring out that caused the symptoms to worsen (or maybe I just didn't want it to be true, lol).

I'm curious about your experience. Have you noticed that smoking worsens the severity of your symptoms in any way?  I'm especially interesting in the first one of the day.  I don't think my issue was nicotine but the carcinogens. Best of luck to you!

Hi AJ,

Yes that is for the words of encouragement and the great tips. It means a lot. 

It kind of hard to tell with the smoking. It seems like it makes me feel better for the moment but I think overall it probably isn’t helping my symptoms. I’m afraid to quit because I don’t want to upset my nervous system anymore but if it’s hurting my progress I don’t want to continue. Again stuck between rock and hard place. 

Right now the symptoms feel like they are getting worse. Especially the akathisia and feelings of internal restlessness. I’m still trying to figure out if cold turkey was a bad idea. Even though I know I had a bad reaction to the Zoloft I feel like I’m getting worse by the day due to withdrawals. Sorry, don’t mean to be negative just really struggling right now. 

Did you go cold turkey off of Zoloft? Hope you are feeling better!

20 hours ago, Gridley said:

Hi Gridley, 

Sorry to bug you again but I am not doing so well. I really need some help. I need to get to the bottom of what the eye symptom is. I remember shortly after dropping from 50mg to 25mg of Zoloft the eye shaking started as well as worsening of akathisia which eventually brought me to the hospital. That coincided with starting the Topamax. Then I went to the hospital and they gave me the risperidone and the Lexapro. The eye shaking continued. Then I took the Benadryl and propranolol for a week or so. Then I took the benztropine and from my notes it seems that coincided with the electric shock feeling/itchiness behind the eye and throughout the body, as well as rapid blinking and making weird mouth movements. I know benztropine can unmask Tardive dyskinesia and my symptoms all seem to align with that. I understand that my body obviously did not want the Zoloft due to obvious reaction but I feel like I still should have tapered. The akathisia definitely worsened as I went from 50mg to 12.5 mg in a couple days and continues to worsen. So I guess my question is would it be worth it to try a very very small reinstatement like 1mg or something. Im obviously in withdrawal and possibly developed Tardive dyskinesia from all these medications. But at this point I don’t know what else to do. I’m feeling beyond bad I have pain throughout my body. The itchy/electric shock sensation behind and around my eyes is unbearable. I haven’t went to the bathroom in 3 days which is a new symptom. I have been able to urinate but I feel like I have to go all the time. At this point it is hard to tell what medication caused what. Maybe the Zoloft caused all of this and I just didn’t realize it until after I have been off everything for a while I don’t know. I hope I don’t sound too off the wall but these physical symptoms are too much at this point. I really want to wait it out but I don’t know if I can at this point. But it might be worth a try to reinstate a small amount of Zoloft it might be my best chance to wean off of it and maybe have a better chance of it going away or is it too late. I guess I’m trying to figure out if the adverse reaction caused the electric shock/itch sensation and eye twitching or if it was going off cold turkey. If it is the latter maybe I have a chance of reinstating and tapering slowly. I have always been sensitive to going off the Zoloft and had to go really slowly that’s why I tapered over a year before this latest reinstatement. I am at such a loss. I know this is complicated and no one has the answers but maybe someone can help me get to the bottom of it. 

Also it may be worth noting that I read a short online book by a guy who had the almost exact same experience as me (it’s called zappedbyprozac) with almost all the same symptoms namely the electric shock sensation and he never got over it. He is only one of about 3 other stories I have found with the similar story and they all didn’t end well. Not sound doom and gloom but I’m just mentioning it because reinstatement may help because he went off cold turkey and so did the other ones. But maybe it wasn’t the cold turkey part of it maybe just the bad reaction idk anymore. This is not good! Please help! I’m only posting on here because you guys deal with this kind of stuff so you are my best hope as to helping me with what to do at this point. I know you can’t make a decision for me but maybe with all the information I provided you or somebody else might have a clue. Thanks in advance!

• Moderator Emeritus

@Marib

There is no way to untangle whether it's Zoloft withdrawal or adverse reaction or a combination.  It will have to be your decision whether to reinstate.  If you do, reinstate no more than 1mg.  If you feel worse, stop the reinstatement immediately.  It would be best to reinstate with prescription Zoloft liquid, which is easier to use and more accurate.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

5 minutes ago, Gridley said:

@Marib

There is no way to untangle whether it's Zoloft withdrawal or adverse reaction or a combination.  It will have to be your decision whether to reinstate.  If you do, reinstate no more than 1mg.  If you feel worse, stop the reinstatement immediately.  It would be best to reinstate with prescription Zoloft liquid, which is easier to use and more accurate.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

Thanks Gridley,

I have tablets. How would I dose out 1 mg?

• Moderator Emeritus
6 minutes ago, Marib said:

I have tablets. How would I dose out 1 mg?

Getting the prescription liquid is the best way.  If you can't do that, you can make your own liquid or weigh using a digital scale or have 1mg doses compounded by a compounding pharmacy.  All these methods are explained in the following link:

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

11 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Getting the prescription liquid is the best way.  If you can't do that, you can make your own liquid or weigh using a digital scale or have 1mg doses compounded by a compounding pharmacy.  All these methods are explained in the following link:

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

Ok thank you very much!

9 hours ago, Marib said:

It kind of hard to tell with the smoking. It seems like it makes me feel better for the moment but I think overall it probably isn’t helping my symptoms. I’m afraid to quit because I don’t want to upset my nervous system anymore but if it’s hurting my progress I don’t want to continue. Again stuck between rock and hard place. 

I think C/T off of nicotine/cigs would shock anyone let alone someone in your situation. The smoke/carcinogen part seemed to worsen symptoms I already had, but stopping completely added more symptoms (withdrawal) and of course any assistance it offered was gone.  Like you said, rock/hard place - not including the cravings....  Eventually I took nicotine substitutes and cut out the actual smoke. The mind tricks were a b**** but I took detailed notes so that I could re-read them and assure myself I had taken the right course. Again, I'm mostly curious and not trying to suggest you do anything particular. 

9 hours ago, Marib said:

Right now the symptoms feel like they are getting worse. Especially the akathisia and feelings of internal restlessness. I’m still trying to figure out if cold turkey was a bad idea. Even though I know I had a bad reaction to the Zoloft I feel like I’m getting worse by the day due to withdrawals. Sorry, don’t mean to be negative just really struggling right now. 

I really, really feel for you!  It adds to my anger and frustration with the system. The very place people have turned for help ended up hurting us even more. I've directed some of that anger toward motivation to get well and determination to win. 

Did you go cold turkey off of Zoloft? Hope you are feeling better!

Tyvm Marib.  No still on a several meds and one is Zoloft. I have Serotonin Toxicity (kind of like an overdose) and have been sick for almost two years. Just didn't know until recently what was wrong with.  Doctors didn't have a clue.  It's been hell like you are experiencing but I go through daily episodes with predictable cycles and have periods of reprieve in the evening and late at night before it comes back strong the next day.  So we have similar symptoms but different circumstances.  The contributing poisons are Zoloft and Cymbalta (a horrible combination that should never be prescribed). 

I have some experience with CT withdrawal from AD's, but it's mostly because of all of the horror stories like yours that I decided to do a slow taper instead of CT.  Not an easy decision.  A hospital would have likely pulled both medications right away but I don't think my body or brain could handle it.  It's a long complicated story and I really appreciate you asking, but I worry going into a  details and giving advice4 might confuse or mess up your situation. I don't want to risk that.  But f you have any questions or want to vent/chat just wave. Being sick and working on getting well is now my full time job lol.

Cymbalta:  Currently 48.5 mg.  Previously 60 mg, 2011-Oct 2020.  

Taper Oct 11-13 (three day reduction of 30 mg relieved many Serotonin Toxicity symptoms but WD became too harsh). Oct 14- 24 (eleven day reduction of 10%, 54 mg).  Oct 25  (began second reduction of 10%, 48.5 mg; holding to stabilize and work on schedule).  

Zoloft  100 mg. 1993-2000 Stopped CT for pregnancy twice, then it pooped out.  Reinstated 2011-2020.    

Taper attempt:  Oct 17-24 (seven days at 87.5 mg was discontinued; reinstated to 100 mg). 

Buprenorphine: 8 mg (4 mg 2x day @ 4pm and 1am)  Atenolol: 25 mg (max 2x day; prn).  Xanax: .125 mg (max 3x day; prn; average 2x).  HRT: Transdermal weekly patch.  Melatonin OTC:  2.5 mg, sleep.  Magnesium Citrate OTC: 125 mg, dinner.

Oct-Nov 2020:  Discontinued Simvastatin 20 mg, Magnesium Glycinate, Vitamin D, and Chia Seed Extract. Growing sensitivities.

4 hours ago, AJ716 said:

Thank you AJ,

We definitely have some similarities there. I know we will both get through this!

Hiya, I can totally relate to these symptoms: 

• Severe muscle tightness especially in head and neck 
  • Eyeballs feel like they are rapidly twitching (for me it happens when I close my eyes to sleep)
  • Eyes and eyelids stinging (and dry)
  • Spaced out feeling 
  • Feel like memory is gone 
  • Electric zap sensations when falling asleep 

A few weeks ago I was given a drug cocktail in a drip in hospital that interferes with sertraline, then I started having allergy and histamine issues. I thought maybe it was withdrawal and I thought I'd increase my Sertraline dose by just 1-1.5 mgs(cant measure too accurately) to help.

Bad idea. After a couple of days, all these symptoms mentioned above have started. Along with many others.

I believe these are adverse reactions to Sertraline. I know you want relief, I do too. I am only a member here so cant advise. But I think a reinstatement may make things worse for people like us. In your shoes, I would literally try like less than 1 mg. 

I know this is temporary,  we will eventually heal. It's just a very slow process.  

2005-2018: Sertraline 50mg

Jan 2018: Started taper from 50mg

Jun 2018: 25 mg

July 2019: 20 mg. Switched to Microtapering

Spring 2020: Tetanus vaccine and a course of rabies vaccinations. 

July 2020: 16 mg. Hold.

During 2020, I was forced to change manufacturers(of generic Sertraline) 4 times due to supplier issues. I didn't write the dates down. 

1st Oct&4th Oct 2020: IV drip with Metoclopramide, ranitidine, hyoscine butylbromide in hospital

26 October 2020: 17 mg

1Nov: 16mg

SertralineAnxiety,

Thank you for your experience. It is good to see different experiences on here. I haven’t reinstated yet because I am too scared. I’m trying to weigh the pros and cons but it is hard! I know we will heal just very hard at the moment but we will. Thanks for the words of encouragement. Keep me updated on your progress. 

On 11/2/2020 at 1:51 AM, SertralineAnxiety said:

Hiya, I can totally relate to these symptoms: 

• Severe muscle tightness especially in head and neck 
  • Eyeballs feel like they are rapidly twitching (for me it happens when I close my eyes to sleep)
  • Eyes and eyelids stinging (and dry)
  • Spaced out feeling 
  • Feel like memory is gone 
  • Electric zap sensations when falling asleep 

A few weeks ago I was given a drug cocktail in a drip in hospital that interferes with sertraline, then I started having allergy and histamine issues. I thought maybe it was withdrawal and I thought I'd increase my Sertraline dose by just 1-1.5 mgs(cant measure too accurately) to help.

Bad idea. After a couple of days, all these symptoms mentioned above have started. Along with many others.

I believe these are adverse reactions to Sertraline. I know you want relief, I do too. I am only a member here so cant advise. But I think a reinstatement may make things worse for people like us. In your shoes, I would literally try like less than 1 mg. 

I know this is temporary,  we will eventually heal. It's just a very slow process.  

Hi there,

How are you feeling? How are the new symptoms after to you went up on your sertraline dosage? Still feeling electric shocks?

Hi there, I actually went back to my previous dose again, 2 days ago I think. Feeling slightly better with less panic and less eye dryness(still dry but stinging less). Sleep was also fine last night, but too early to tell if it will remain that way. It might also just be a coincidence. I still had brain zap this morning. And allergy and autoimmune issues are the same.

How are you feeling?

During 2020, I was forced to change manufacturers(of generic Sertraline) 4 times due to supplier issues. I didn't write the dates down. 

1st Oct&4th Oct 2020: IV drip with Metoclopramide, ranitidine, hyoscine butylbromide in hospital

15 minutes ago, SertralineAnxiety said:

Hi there, I actually went back to my previous dose again, 2 days ago I think. Feeling slightly better with less panic and less eye dryness(still dry but stinging less). Sleep was also fine last night, but too early to tell if it will remain that way. It might also just be a coincidence. I still had brain zap this morning. And allergy and autoimmune issues are the same.

How are you feeling?

Not great at this point. The electric shock feeling in my head and eyes is getting worse but I think because when I had the adverse reaction I just pretty much stopped cold turkey so I’m kind of like in double withdrawal but I didn’t know any better at the time. I think that was the wrong thing to do. Still debating reinstating a very small dose but I may be too sensitized. I’m kind of stuck at this point unfortunately. I think I was already going into withdrawal before my last reinstatement  and subsequent adverse reaction so I’m kind of feeling stuck with which way to go. Didn’t sleep almost at all the last two nights so I don’t seem to be headed in the right direction. Anyways don’t mean to sound negative just feeling pretty bad at this point. 

I'm so sorry to hear that. My symptoms vary and go up and down during the day, and in a very unpredictable way. I think many people suffer similarly in withdrawal. But I think most people do heal eventually. I still cant decide if I should have just stayed on Sertraline rather than putting myself into this mess by tapering down. But there is no knowing if I would have just developed tolerance one day anyway, like it happens to many people. Plus living your life numbed like a zombie is also not great. 

Anyway. Not sleeping probably makes it a lot worse for us. I think the brain really needs to rest to heal. So after a sleepless night, my symptoms intensify a lot by the next day.

Do you try anything to help with sleep? Guided meditation etc? I normally sleep in complete darkness and silence, away from electronic devices. But recently I realised that leaving a soothing music on all night, lets me sleep better and longer. Especially when I'm waking up with panic attacks. 

I assume you tried all the standard stuff? Use dimmed lights and no screens several hours before sleep? I still use screens at night at the moment, but I have strong blue light filters on the device plus I wear blue blocking glasses. 

1 hour ago, SertralineAnxiety said:

I'm so sorry to hear that. My symptoms vary and go up and down during the day, and in a very unpredictable way. I think many people suffer similarly in withdrawal. But I think most people do heal eventually. I still cant decide if I should have just stayed on Sertraline rather than putting myself into this mess by tapering down. But there is no knowing if I would have just developed tolerance one day anyway, like it happens to many people. Plus living your life numbed like a zombie is also not great. 

Anyway. Not sleeping probably makes it a lot worse for us. I think the brain really needs to rest to heal. So after a sleepless night, my symptoms intensify a lot by the next day.

Do you try anything to help with sleep? Guided meditation etc? I normally sleep in complete darkness and silence, away from electronic devices. But recently I realised that leaving a soothing music on all night, lets me sleep better and longer. Especially when I'm waking up with panic attacks. 

I assume you tried all the standard stuff? Use dimmed lights and no screens several hours before sleep? I still use screens at night at the moment, but I have strong blue light filters on the device plus I wear blue blocking glasses. 

Yes, sleeping is important. I have heard about the soothing music. I think I  will try that but I find that since I started having the electric shock sensation it just wakes me up. I don’t know if reinstating would help me or not or just rekindle everything more. I have heard stories of people who went could turkey and they have the electric shocks for years. I really only have a short time time to figure out what the best course of action is. I seem to have an adverse reaction each time I restart it which was a couple times over the course of the years. But this last reaction was nothing like I experienced before. I wish I would have realized I still needed to taper off but I just pretty much stopped cold turkey after 2 months. I seem to be getting progressively worse. So do I hold out and hope I dont get any worse or do I try and reinstate and hope it doesn’t give me any worse of a reaction. Idk it’s so hard to tell but I know this isn’t good right now so I have to figure something out. Again don’t mean to be negative but it’s good to be able to bounce stuff off someone that knows the process. Hope you’re feeling better. 

It's so hard to decide what to do for the best. I wish someone could know and tell us. 

5 hours ago, SertralineAnxiety said:

It's so hard to decide what to do for the best. I wish someone could know and tell us. 

You’re right about that! If only we had a crystal ball to see the future 😁

• 2 weeks later...

@Marib did you reinstate? Going through something a little similar.

2012-July 2020 Zoloft 50mg. Cold turkey’d due to adverse reaction after Ativan withdrawal. 

March 2020 High dose of Prednisone caused lump in throat feeling. Taken a course of steroids before this with no problem. 

April 2020-May 2020 Ativan 1mg 1x a day for 6 weeks. Cold turkey’d May 23. Reinstated a couple days later, tried to taper for a few days because I didn’t know any better. Back to ER in psychosis. None since. 

June 2020 Shot of steroid and antibiotics because I thought the pain in sinuses was due to sinus infection but was due to withdrawal. Didn’t help and made things much worse. 

August 2020 Paxil 10mg. 13 days. Cold turkey’d it after adverse reaction.

Currently only taking marshmallow root, slippery elm, digestive enzymes, probiotic, aloe Vera, and Pepcid. 

Your story is similar to mine, I was on Zoloft for 15 years I tapered slow over the course of a year and half I ended up pregnant in June 2020, I was still going to stay on Zoloft at the small dose I was on but I got really sick from hyperemesis, so I stopped taking the small dose of Zoloft in July 2020 I started to feel a little down from pregnancy hormones, so on September 22nd I reinstated one dose of Zoloft at 12.5mg, later that night I was hit with severe reactions panic, anxiety, vomiting so I stopped after the one dose. It went on for 5 days when my psychiatrist  suggested going on lexapro at a small dose .5mg I was on that for 6 days started getting worse and then stopped, two weeks go by on nothing and I’m getting worse. My family is getting really frustrated with me and I go on Prozac for 2 weeks and 3 days, I keep getting worse and worse so I stop that. It’s been over a week since I’m on anything and I’m really going through hell as well. Severe fear all day long. I could handle the psyical symptoms the mental ones are just so bad. 

2006- started Zoloft(eventually up to 100mgs)

January 2019 - started Prozac 10mg to start tapering off Zoloft 100mg started tapering 12.5mg every month until I hit about 37.5 mg then started liquid taper of Zoloft and Prozac 

July 2020 - 8mg of Zoloft 4 mg Prozac got pregnant and had hyperemesis (severe morning sickness) stopped taking the medication because of the sickness

September 2020 - reinstated Zoloft 12.5mg 1 dose adverse reaction stopped 5 days later started lexapro .5 liquid for 6 days and 1mg 2 days ended up suicidal stopped immediately

October 2020 - started Prozac 5mg 1 week 10 mg 1 week and 15 mg days ended up so bad admitted to psych hospital where the doctor confirmed adverse reactions from withdrawal and stopped everything 

December 24 2020 - 1mg Ativan 2 times a day 5mg of zyprexa split 2.5 morning and 2.5 night

jan 14 2021 - pristiq 25mg for two weeks, not good fast taper off 

3 hours ago, Chels said:

Your story is similar to mine, I was on Zoloft for 15 years I tapered slow over the course of a year and half I ended up pregnant in June 2020, I was still going to stay on Zoloft at the small dose I was on but I got really sick from hyperemesis, so I stopped taking the small dose of Zoloft in July 2020 I started to feel a little down from pregnancy hormones, so on September 22nd I reinstated one dose of Zoloft at 12.5mg, later that night I was hit with severe reactions panic, anxiety, vomiting so I stopped after the one dose. It went on for 5 days when my psychiatrist  suggested going on lexapro at a small dose .5mg I was on that for 6 days started getting worse and then stopped, two weeks go by on nothing and I’m getting worse. My family is getting really frustrated with me and I go on Prozac for 2 weeks and 3 days, I keep getting worse and worse so I stop that. It’s been over a week since I’m on anything and I’m really going through hell as well. Severe fear all day long. I could handle the psyical symptoms the mental ones are just so bad. 

Hi Chels,

Sounds like we have some similarities. I am having some pretty severe physical and emotional symptoms at this point but I am hoping time heals all wounds. We have to stick it out. Especially for you and your baby! Keep in touch!

Have you had any windows?

2006- started Zoloft(eventually up to 100mgs)

January 2019 - started Prozac 10mg to start tapering off Zoloft 100mg started tapering 12.5mg every month until I hit about 37.5 mg then started liquid taper of Zoloft and Prozac 

July 2020 - 8mg of Zoloft 4 mg Prozac got pregnant and had hyperemesis (severe morning sickness) stopped taking the medication because of the sickness

September 2020 - reinstated Zoloft 12.5mg 1 dose adverse reaction stopped 5 days later started lexapro .5 liquid for 6 days and 1mg 2 days ended up suicidal stopped immediately

October 2020 - started Prozac 5mg 1 week 10 mg 1 week and 15 mg days ended up so bad admitted to psych hospital where the doctor confirmed adverse reactions from withdrawal and stopped everything 

December 24 2020 - 1mg Ativan 2 times a day 5mg of zyprexa split 2.5 morning and 2.5 night

jan 14 2021 - pristiq 25mg for two weeks, not good fast taper off