DreamingofHealing

Hi everyone, @manymoretodays @ChessieCat @Altostrata

Happy Easter.

I'm looking for some advice after about 6months of trying a reinstatement on Citalopram.

I'm at that cross roads stage where I feel I've given some adequate time to see if it would help.

Sleep has been okay most nights. Not a full rem sleep. But better than what it was. Mood is better at times though feel quite teary at times.

Other than that, I'm not really sure there has been much of an improvement. Energy levels are about the same. If anything the muscle spasms have become even more painful. My body feels very tight and is a struggle at times to walk. Sweating a lot, without any real reason and also it feels like my spinal cord is on fire. Eyes are tight. 

I'm told this is brain inflammation.

I'm now having thoughts about tapering back down to try and get off this drug. I wonder if true healing will only occur when I'm off the drugs fully. Ill admit, I feel afraid what awaits me though. Especially with the insomnia which was extreme and I couldn't look at myself in the mirror for a few seconds  without feeling I was falling asleep. 

Surely no body can heal with such little sleep? 

I've been reading through forum trying to gather nuggets of information.. I understand there is no way of knowing until I try it. But would appreciate the input from some experienced members to help me make a decision?

I did read with interest on the topic of detox and the thoughts of @alexjuice. I have had Mycotoxin testing and have been shown to have high levels of mold toxins in my system. Relates to the house we lived in previously. So the system is extremely sensitive with all this going on. I've been working with a Naturopath to try and get the toxins out, but the nature of the system is hindering out progress. I wonder maybe if @alexjuicewould offer some advice as he mentioned something similar re lymes and Mycotoxins. The issue of the liver and gallbladder being slowed down was an interesting take as during the times I've been off thr drug I felt as if I was detoxing at a rate of noughts at times. Like something had been released. Its all controlled by the nervous system, so if it makes sense if the nervous system is being slowed then so are the organs it controls. 

Appreciate any support and help you offer friends. 

Best Wishes 

DoH

June 2013 - September 2014 Mirtazapine 40mg quick taper off within weeks
2015 - 2017  Mirtazapine 40mg quick taper off within weeks
December 2017 - January 2018 Citalopram 10mg- quick taper off within days. 
August 2018 - October 2019 Duloxetine 90mg. Slower taper. Down to 60mg for 6months and then 30mg for 4 weeks. Then off October 2019
Present Citalopram  29th October 2020 2mg - ideally looking to stabilise something. Using liquid form this time and hoping to increase to stabilise. Down to 1.5mg 21st November 

Back up to 2mg 24th November 

April 8th 2021 - dropped to 1.9mg as feeling like enough time has passed to see if i would get better. Time to take things slowly and allow my brain to start working on its own 

• Administrator

Have you looked into treatment for mold exposure? That might be causing some of your symptoms, not the citalopram.

Being able to sleep is a big improvement. Another option is increasing the citalopram a bit, to see if symptoms decrease.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yeah I've looked into this and getting some help from a Naturopath. Very slowly it seems to be coming out. And you are right jt could be the mold rather than citalopram, strong possibility. Difficulty knowing though right? 

I wouldn't want to increase the citalopram at this stage, more I go up, the more I have to come back down eventually! 

August 2018 - October 2019 Duloxetine 90mg. Slower taper. Down to 60mg for 6months and then 30mg for 4 weeks. Then off October 2019
Present Citalopram  29th October 2020 2mg - ideally looking to stabilise something. Using liquid form this time and hoping to increase to stabilise. Down to 1.5mg 21st November 

April 8th 2021 - dropped to 1.9mg as feeling like enough time has passed to see if i would get better. Time to take things slowly and allow my brain to start working on its own 

Also wanted to ask if the drugs stop working after 6mths or so? The effect I'm feeling is not as strong compared to when I first started citalopram. Is that possible so soon? 

Hello folks,

Again looking for advice. 

Have been taking citalopram for around 6mths now. There's no sign of stabilisation, and I mean in terms of being able to function. I can hardly get out my bedroom at the minute.   Although at times I sleep better- it still doesn't transfer to energy next day. 

I'm just wondering if i should cut my losses here and start to come off? Maybe my body just can't metabolise these drugs. 

Constantly have a sense of derealisation. And this has been since 2017 when I came off Mirtazapine. Its never left me despite the other drugs since then. That's 4 bloody years!

• Administrator
On 4/4/2021 at 11:41 AM, DreamingofHealing said:

Other than that, I'm not really sure there has been much of an improvement. Energy levels are about the same. If anything the muscle spasms have become even more painful. My body feels very tight and is a struggle at times to walk. Sweating a lot, without any real reason and also it feels like my spinal cord is on fire. Eyes are tight. 

I'm told this is brain inflammation.

Withdrawal syndrome is not brain inflammation. It's possible you have another condition as well. Have you investigated mold exposure?

15 hours ago, DreamingofHealing said:

Although at times I sleep better- it still doesn't transfer to energy next day. 

Was insomnia a withdrawal symptom? Did your sleep improve after reinstating citalopram?

Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?  Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from citalopram.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yeah its possible there is something else going on as well. I'm in thr process of trying to figure jt out with help. Mold is a tricky one to get out with this going on as well.

Maybe an update rather than down dose is required- I'm open to this to try and get stability 

Okay ill have a go at the list.....

930 amSlept well

Freezing cold - no heat regulation 

Usually exhausted after eating breakfast but better with more protein. Can get out of bed and can hardly move to toilet.

1330 - felt better with a little more lunch on board- again more protein in my meals seems to help.

1600- freezing cold again. Sensitive to noise and sound. Sometimes drinking some water or going to toilet seems to help symptoms 🤔 

TmJ comes and goes and feeling of pressure in my chest. Muscles ache and it feels like I'm being squeezed from inside.

Pressure unbearable at times, difficult to breath. 

1645 - took 1.9mg of citalopram- a little more calmer. Almost disappointed than the damn drug makes me feel calmer! All other symptoms listed above continue however. 

Edited by DreamingofHealing
Updated

One question I have, its well documented that the antidepressants seem to be dampen down dopamine- are the withdrawals the levels of the neurotransmitter readjusting as well as the adjustment of serotonin? 

10pm - woke from sleep. Must have dozed off. Panic attack which was so insane. Honestly thought I was a goner. Disturbed sleep rest of night. 

9am - woke up feeling a bit warmer than usual. Always seem to feel a bit stronger after going to the loo. 

10am - had breakfast. Felt a bit stronger after a few supplements.

1140am - symptoms start from nowhere. Body seems to get weaker. Almost feels like entire body is in spasm. Including face. 

1300 - feeling a bit tired can hardly move. Crippled my symptoms. 

1600 - feel spaced, tired and this anxiety stopping. Never felt anything as intense. Again feel bit stronger after being to bathroom 

1 hour ago, DreamingofHealing said:

9am - woke up feeling a bit warmer than usual. Always seem to feel a bit stronger after going to the loo. 

10am - had breakfast. Felt a bit stronger after a few supplements.

1140am - symptoms start from nowhere. Body seems to get weaker. Almost feels like entire body is in spasm. Including face. 

1300 - feeling a bit tired can hardly move. Crippled my symptoms. 

1600 - feel spaced, tired and this anxiety stopping. Never felt anything as intense. Again feel bit stronger after being to bathroom 

1645 -  took citalopram. Feel tired and had spams around neck and head. Random sneezing also! Feel a bit sweaty. Sweating seems to happen a lot since starting Citalopram..