Calmseeker: citalopram withdrawal plan

Calmseeker

41 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

What filler was the "cheap filler"?  And what filler was the other chemist going to use?

This information was provided by my compounding chemist: 

The capsules I get made are are immediate release formulation (as per commercially available tablets). Fillers are Microcrystalline cellulose (filler)  & Riboflavin (as tracer which gives the yellow colour). Microcrystalline cellulose is also used in Celapram tabs (see below).

Celapram

Composition Citalopram hydrobromide.
Excipients. Excipients in Celapram include maize starch, lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, povidone, crospovidone, macrogol 4000, magnesium stearate, hypromellose and titanium dioxide.

I did not get into the detail of what the other chemist was going to use. But actually when I read the ingredients above it looks to be same as the ingredients in my tablets so that should be a good thing. 

44 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Was he talking about time release formula being added?

I'm not actually sure. We didnt get into the detail of what he would use. He rattled a few things off but I got a bit lost at that point. 

45 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Even if the cheap filler meant that you absorbed less of the drug the consistency would still be their.  It would only be an issue if you were chopping and changing between difference compounded capsules of the same dose.

Thank you! Yes, I agree. I felt good when I was taking the capsules but then I chopped and changed myself by going back to taking 1/4 tablets then water formula which means I've potentially had a period of time where my does were not exact. Argh! 

47 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

As an example, there are two different cup measures for recipes

This 100% makes sense! I just hope I stabilise on these capsules after a few weeks of perhaps errors and inconsistency on my side. 

15 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Thank you! This community thrives on members helping each other.

@AltostrataI will have a think about what skills and experience I can bring to the table and then I will reach out to you to see where I can help. 

17 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

It may take you some weeks to get over this bump, but you should gradually go back to your baseline on the capsules.

I hope and pray that you are right. I fear that some inconsistent dosing over the last few weeks (trying to measure quarter tablets, trying to do liquid titration) may have sent me off track. 

18 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

I wouldn't worry about the filler, but all else being equal, next time I might get my capsules made by the pharmacist with the more sophisticated understanding.

I had a lengthy conversation with the pharmacist today and she has put my mind at ease by telling me that citalopram is not a medication that requires a filler to help with the release (or something to that effect). She sounded quite knowledgeable and told me she has been doing this for 15 years so I'm feeling more comfortable. I'm not sure if the other guy had a more sophisticated understanding, he spoke like he did but I'm not sure. 

Temazepan (for sleeep)- as required (no more than one per week) June/July 2020

Valdoxan (for sleep) - 2 weeks in July 2020 - no taper as not required for this drug so stopped straight away 

Temazepan again - July/August - as required, noticed interdose withdrawals - fast taper - last dose 4th October 2020

Citalopram (for panic/anxiety which I suspect was due to the other drugs) - 26th August 2020 - have been tapering since 8th October (20mg>15mg (one week)>10mg(one week)>5mg(one week)>2.5mg (one week). Jumped 1st November - 2 days later had anxiety, insomnia, meloncolic jerks. Reinstated 2.5mg and currently tapering from here. 

Supplements - Fish Oil, Probiotic, Vitamin C

• Administrator

Cellulose is a common filler, citalopram does not need an extender.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I just wanted to check in & wish you all a very happy New year and to add a few notes for my records. 

I've somewhat managed to stabilise. My sleep has improved considerably, it took around 10 days (after the glass of wine & potentially wrong dosing using a somewhat sloppy liquid method). My anxiety in general has improved significantly. 

I've had windows over the past week where I've felt quite good/happy. I sincerely hope this is a good sign. 

My anxiety and irritability has increased over the past 2 days but that feels like my baseline & hormonal. Two nights ago I had two nightmares but I wasn't too worried about them. I'm using my non-drug techniques to cope & they seem to be helping. 

I'm still planning on dropping to 2.25mg at the end of this month. I'll check back in again when I'm ready to make the drop to let you know how I'm feeling. 

Thanks again for your support on this journey. 

Valdoxan (for sleep) - 2 weeks in July 2020 - no taper as not required for this drug so stopped straight away 

Temazepan again - July/August - as required, noticed interdose withdrawals - fast taper - last dose 4th October 2020

Citalopram (for panic/anxiety which I suspect was due to the other drugs) - 26th August 2020 - have been tapering since 8th October (20mg>15mg (one week)>10mg(one week)>5mg(one week)>2.5mg (one week). Jumped 1st November - 2 days later had anxiety, insomnia, meloncolic jerks. Reinstated 2.5mg and currently tapering from here. 

Actually, I think its possible I might be in a wave. My symptoms are: 

- Insomnia - last night I couldn't sleep until around 3am when I dosed off until 5am.. not ideal although this could be hormonal as I tend to get some sleep issues around this time of the month 

- GI issues - gut - this seems to be a bit worse than usual, although it could be due to eating lots of cheese, dairy, sugar over the Christmas period. 

- Low mood, intrusive thoughts, rumination, increased anxiety - these were pre-existing issues also and I am working on them with non-drug coping techniques such as mindfullness, meditation, sunshine, taking my dogs for a walk, keeping a gratitude journal, goal setting etc. 

- Last night I had some jerks in my arms and legs as I was trying to drift off to sleep - I didn't really notice them too much as it was only a couple of times. 

I may have overdone the exercise on Saturday. I slept in until 7am (which is a great sign!) but I woke up in a bad mood as I had slept in and rather than doing meditation, changing my mindset, i went straight out and did a 5km run and I tried to lower my time. I may have overdone it so going to take it a little easy over the next week. I absolutely love exercise so I am going to listen to my body and take it easy.  

I do have some ongoing 'life stressors' that I am managing. I have an autistic son who's behaviour can be challenging and I am getting him ready for prep next year, perhaps a bit of underlying stress from this. I also have a four year old who is starting to get a bit of attitude and our schedule has been a bit out of whack due to Christmas. 

My symptoms so far are manageable and I'll re-assess how I am feeling in a few weeks time as I get closer to making the reduction to 2.25mg. 

Hi guys, I'm looking for some reassurance. I'm in a wave. My sleep has been poor the past three nights and I have been getting jerks as I drift into sleep (my scariest symptom). I've read on here these jerks are common in withdrawal.  I've been able to somewhat predict my patterns to date, usually I get a wave following stress or a dosage change (or method) and usually I get a wave just before my monthly cycle. This month I actually commented to my husband that I felt the most 'normal' I've felt in months leading up to my cycle and then on day one I got whacked with the insomnia stick and then the jerks came. 

I do have a cold/flu - can this trigger some withdrawal symptoms? 

I am trying to rest up as much as possible. I'm due to make a cut at the end of the month which I have been really looking forward to but this has thrown me off a bit. 

Ignore my message... I've done some reading up & found it's all normal. This really sux 😥

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, I currently have approximately 3 weeks left of my current compounded capsules so I will need to go back to the Dr for another script so I'm considering my next move. At this stage, I am looking to take a drop to 2.3mg which would be an 8% reduction. I figure this is playing it slightly cautious as its just under the 10% guide.

I plan to take the rest of my capsules that I have which will take me to just under three months at the 2.5 dose. During this time, I have had some symptoms however they have been manageable. I've still been able to work and carry out my daily responsibilities for my family etc. 

Based on what you have seen from other members, do you think that trying an 8% drop is a reasonable move? I would really welcome your feedback. 

Oh no.. I just realised I missed my dose last night. I think I read that I just take tonight's dose as normal.. is this correct? I feel so silly.