Sparrow: trouble w/multiple drug withdrawals

Sparrow

I found your post about your family very moving and eloquent. I see you as a very strong person.

I'm sure many have seen the FB piece about the Dove ad, which I have to admit I didn't watch. But I saw a moving rebuttal today to "You're More Beautiful Than You Think".... why would a woman's worth be measured by beauty anyway.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sparrow

• Barbarannamated

• Altostrata

• Jemima

Top Posters In This Topic

If the general idea beneath your list is that "I'm a worthless human being" then it may help for you to take a better look at that statement and to decide if it's an exaggeration. If you can remember specific times when you helped someone, successfully acomplished a worthwhile task, were kind to someone and they thanked you for your kindness, if you know anyone that cares about you, etc, etc, then you're accepting an exaggeration as a fundemtal truth. This of course leads to more feelings of depression and worthlessness. So false, exagerated ideas about ourselves effect our behavior, which in turn feed the exaggerated ideas. <BR><BR>Instead, try an come up with as realistic a statement as possible to replace the exaggerated one. Otherwise you may think you are dealing with cold, hard facts when the case is the opposite. Going lower and lower for literally no good reason.<BR><BR>Aside from this, negative thoughts about the self of all kinds are part of withdrawal for many people, and aren't genuine self-loathing. They pass like all wd symptoms. If you can't replace them with more realistic statements, then at least keep reminding yourself in a matter of fact way that this idea is only a withdrawal symptom and will pass.<BR>Say it as many times as the thougts come up or as soon as you realise you're dwelling on them again.<BR><BR>I've had times when they're very persistent. Remember, too, other times when you knew just as much about yourself, but weren't so down on yourself about it--because it's the withdrawal. That's the only difference between then and now. <BR>Always put the blame where it belongs-not on yourself-but on the withdrawal symptoms. Hudgens<BR><BR>

Sept 12th 1992-began taking Imipramine (50mgs) for panic attacks.

Stopped Imipramine after 4 months (cold turkey).

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

March 1999-switched from Imipramine (50mgs) to Celexa.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

Nov 15th 2010-Began tapering from 75mgs Effexor Generic.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

April 17th 2014-      .03mgs

May 11th 2014-       .02mgs

Ended taper October 31st 2014

Oct 4th 2015-11 months post taper and completely back to normal!

• Moderator Emeritus

^Good stuff, Hudgens.

In this society, I fail on all metrics.

Yes, Sparrow, but this society is pathological, particularly in its fixation on the 'metrics' that you mention. Don't put too much faith in what crazy people think of you.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Moderator Emeritus

^Good stuff, Hudgens.

In this society, I fail on all metrics.

Yes, Sparrow, but this society is pathological, particularly in its fixation on the 'metrics' that you mention. Don't put too much faith in what crazy people think of you.

Nice.

But I can totally relate to Sparrow and her list of metrics. It's the same as my list.

It's one thing to know it's BS and quite another to be able to just not be affected by it, the constant messages we get about our value as human beings, especially women.

I "know", when my cognition is working well, that I'm valuable and good, and that sexism is BS and older women are just as important as anyone any gender any age, and "success" has very little to do with anything that really matters about a person. But knowing it and actually feeling it's true are very different things for me.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Sparrow,

Do you hope/plan to be employed again when you're feeling stronger? I realize it may be hard to imagine at this point, but I was just wondering. That one item, in particular, resonates with me. For me, it's a core, personal value more than a societal metric.

I do hope that these feelings are withdrawal as Nikki mentioned because I've never before felt so glaringly deficient and insecure in who I am.

Hugs, my friend.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

It's one thing to know it's BS and quite another to be able to just not be affected by it, the constant messages we get about our value as human beings, especially women.

Yes.

2009-2011: tapered off Trazodone, Namenda, Lamictal, Dextroamphetamine, Zyprexa; cold-turkeyed Pristiq; reduced Lexapro dose 50%.
On clonazepam since 2004, 0.5 - 1.0 mg daily PRN. Three failed (too rapid) partial tapers, 2010 - 2011.
Dec. 2011 - March 2013: Tapered off 0.5 mg clonazepam (Klonopin)

August 2013: Switched to liquid escitalopram (Lexapro) and began tapering from 10 mg.

January 2014: 4.5 mg escitalopram

March 2014: One year off benzos

May 2014: 3.0 mg escitalopram

June 2014: severe depression, updosed to 4.0 mg

Sept 1, 2014: 2.7 mg

Dec 7, 2014: Can't get below 2.5 mg without unbearable symptoms. Doing an extended hold (I hope)

March 2015: TWO YEARS POST-BENZO

Barb, I don't expect or even desire to employed. Fortunately we are in a position that I don't have to.

I had a career in various aspects of publishing (copywriting, technical writing, editing), but decided to stay home to raise my kids. That was almost 25 years ago.

I don't do volunteer work (yet) because I really, really can't deal with stress of interacting with other people. Maybe this will change over time.

Not handling this wave of withdrawal crap very well. Thank you, everyone, for lending an ear.

Sparrow

2009-2011: tapered off Trazodone, Namenda, Lamictal, Dextroamphetamine, Zyprexa; cold-turkeyed Pristiq; reduced Lexapro dose 50%.
On clonazepam since 2004, 0.5 - 1.0 mg daily PRN. Three failed (too rapid) partial tapers, 2010 - 2011.

August 2013: Switched to liquid escitalopram (Lexapro) and began tapering from 10 mg.

Dec 7, 2014: Can't get below 2.5 mg without unbearable symptoms. Doing an extended hold (I hope)

LOOK at all the meds you've come off of in 4 years. No wonder you don't feel well! Better days to come...

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Sparrow,

I misunderstood that the employment was your choice. Despite my bellyaching about career, I have tremendous respect for those who choose to opt out of the rat race.

KUDOS to you!

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 4 weeks later...

Sparrow, wondering how you are doing at the moment, hope you are okay. Would you be able to give me any info as to how your op went when you had to have the hysterectomy? I am so scared and worried right now, bleeding really heavily still, can't move around or anything. Don't know if I'm able to give out my email on this site, if that would be better if you could message me. Please reply. Sending love. Xxxxxx

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone. I'm in my fifth month since completing the clonazepam taper and wanted to post a progress report. I haven't been here in a long time because of a sudden, inexplicable need to avoid everything connected with drug withdrawal, including even this very supportive community.

My last microscopic dose was at the end of March. There were no significant changes the first month or so, but by mid-May I was going downhill fast, and in June (month 3), I was plunged into a terrible, profound depression unlike anything I've experienced to date. It was horrific, and I will say only that I'm still here by the slimmest of margins.

The oppressive darkness began to lift gradually in July. My doctor started me on a low dose of human growth hormone because three years of being more or less bedridden had left me with pronounced muscle wasting. Whether that made the difference or not I couldn't say, but I'm feeling absolutely terrific now.

Yeah, you read that right. Terrific.

I have almost no anxiety or dread now. I'm sleeping 7, even 8 hours at night. Depression, gone. Agoraphobia, gone. (Although I do still prefer not to be around people most of the time, I can deal with it pretty easily if I have to.) I go to the grocery store alone every week now, can drive myself to appointments, etc. I walk 2 miles on my treadmill several times a week. I can talk on the phone. I can handle having the pest control guy or the carpet cleaning guy in the house, instead of hiding in my room while my husband took care of them.

Most significantly, the profound anhedonia is beginning to thaw. I'm starting to get little sparks of actual pleasure from doing things I used to enjoy, like knitting and cooking. This, more than anything else, is giving me hope. For the first time in forever, I believe that I really AM going to get well.

If you've read this thread and my other posts, you know that I was a hard-core long-term polydrugged basket case. I've been working on getting off a shitload of psych drugs for several years. So this is a message of hope to every one of you, no matter how desperate your situation. I can make a good case that no one was less likely to succeed at this than I was: and that if I can do it, you can too.

No, it's not over yet. It's still early days as far as being off benzos is concerned. And I still have 10 mg of Lexapro to wean off. But this is longest continuous period of remarkable improvement I've yet experienced, and each day it gets a little better. I feel brave and strong.

In gratitude,

Sparrow

• Administrator

Thanks, Sparrow, for this excellent news. Very happy to hear you're feeling so much better!

What kind of doctor is your doctor? Does he or she have any understanding of withdrawal syndrome?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Alto, my doc is an ob/gyn who has a second practice focused soley on hormones/nutrition/"healthy aging."  I think I may be her only exposure to psych drug withdrawal syndrome. While she has been 100% supportive of my efforts, she doesn't have any in-depth understanding of the scope and magnitude of the problem.

• Administrator

I'm glad she's figured out a treatment for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Sparrow, what wonderful news .. :)

Congratulations .. :)

I have read your thread, and was saddened by the amount of grief you had to endure ..This is where I am at, hoping for some relief ..

Keep up the wonderful progress, and well being.

Sending you love, and healing thoughts ..

Lexi

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

• Moderator Emeritus

It's so good to hear from you, Sparrow, and to find that the news is so good!  I understand that urge to stay away from withdrawal topics.  I seem to go through that from time to time myself.

Thanks for checking in!

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I am completely thrilled for you! And so glad you posted your update.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

So happy for you Sparrow!!!

Thanks for posting

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

GREAT news, Sparrow!

• Moderator Emeritus

Yay! Thanks for dropping by and letting us know how you're doing. Great to hear it!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 5 weeks later...

The feeling "terrific" thing? Gone.

I wonder if my life, or what's left of it, is just too messed up for me ever to truly recover from all this and move on to something better. Don't even know what "something better" would look like.

Once again feeling strong urges to flee. Just get in my car and go, somewhere, anywhere. But what the hell would I do once I got there?

I don't think I'm capable of having relationships with people anymore. Or maybe I just don't want them. I'm so lonely, so tired of being alone all the time, and yet I don't want to do any of the things that would bring me into contact with others. At least not the others I have available to me.

Ugh, babbling again. So frustrated and empty and tired of everything. I cannot deal with the empty bleak future that lies ahead.

Fighting the impulse to get in bed with my soft fluffy blanket and a pile of books. Avoidance: my favorite pastime.

• Administrator

Think waves and windows. This, too, shall pass.

Oh, Sparrow. I'm TRULY sorry to hear this. :(

I want to understand this intense urge to flee that we both have. You describe it perfectly. Is it stronger in the morning? I wonder if it's some manifestation of the flight response coupled with unhappiness at this point in life.

Sorry to get analytical.

{{{HUGS}}}

Barb, my urge to flee is not stronger in the morning. It's always running in the background with varying intensity.

I am trapped in a life I don't want with no alternatives available. Why can't I just accept that this is it, this is all I have, there IS NO "other life" floating around out there waiting for me to join it?

Well, today is clearly a lost cause. Blanket and books it is.

• Moderator Emeritus

In looking back over my past, there's one thing I can say for certain and that's that the future has never, ever turned out the way I expected.  So don't count on your future being empty and bleak. You really, truly, cannot know what's going to happen even five minutes from now. 

I'm very sorry your good spell has ended, but the fact that you had it at all tells me that you're capable of getting back to that state in the long term. Withdrawal really does take a big chunk of time out of our lives, but it isn't forever. Just seems like it.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

the fact that you had it at all tells me that you're capable of getting back to that state in the long term..

Absolutely!!

Hang in there, we are all in the same boat.......

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Jemima, excellent point about the future never turning out the way one expects.

• 2 weeks later...

Barb, my urge to flee is not stronger in the morning. It's always running in the background with varying intensity.

I am trapped in a life I don't want with no alternatives available. Why can't I just accept that this is it, this is all I have, there IS NO "other life" floating around out there waiting for me to join it?

Well, today is clearly a lost cause. Blanket and books it is.

Hugs sparrow. Oh I know this feeling. I remember it. I don't really consider it anymore because I've accepted my life is what it is. No other life floating around out there for me. Sometimes I remind myself of those who have it worse. I think of the few things I have that help me get through the days and of others who don't have those or are suffering worse. I never was able to do that before because I was always so locked up in how bad my life felt to me, but I think the K taper actually opened my eyes to people with very protracted WD from ADs and benzos and having been in the acute WD back last summer - pure hell that it was, I realize that this is better than that even if it is very far from what I want. And then I think back to years ago when it was better than it is now and I didn't appreciate that. But I had certain things I loved to do that I can no longer do. And I wasn't in WD a portion of every month. So I guess it's relative and you kind of have to grab on to what is good about it and make that the thing that gets your attention rather that what is wrong with it because in truth, I think there could always be something wrong with it if you get hung up on that stuff. There was something wrong with my life for decades and I spent way too much time on all of those wrong things.

I do hope you are feeling well. I hope you are having nice days and getting to do things you enjoy. That's really all that matters in the end. The rest of it is window dressing. But feeling okay, having a window and good days, doing small things that you like even if they are really small by normal standards (favorite TV show or reading a book you like) are things worthy of more gratitude. Something about that always helps me. I get really happy about favorite shows. Really happy about stuff that I do enjoy. Really happy when I have a good day and get to the cafe to pick up a coffee even if I don't sit there for it. I bring it home and enjoy it. To me that decaf is so awesome.

Take care and be well. I'll peek back in when I remember.

A dispatch from The Land of Regret.

Dusting my house today, I came upon the little clay impression of Tigger's paw print that the vet made for us when we had to put her to sleep a year ago. Abruptly burst into a hard, wrenching, sobbing cry. For the three dear kitties I've lost in the last few years. For the two dear little boys who left home but haven't grown up. For the life I might have had if I hadn't dropped out of college to get married. For the person I might have been if I hadn't been (prescription-) drugged out of my mind for twenty years.

I dusted the piano I bought for my 50th birthday, thinking I would take lessons. Weeks later, I rapid-tapered off Klonopin, Lexapro, AND Dextroamphetamine in one month, and you know what happened after that. The piano sits untouched. Another silent reminder of what might have been.

I'm 53 years old and I don't know who I am or what I want.

I'm 53 years old and I don't know who I am or what I want.

You are a beautiful, strong, unique human being, and you are, like the rest of us, trying to get a better life, drug free.

I'll be 60 in November, so we are in the same boat (mine is older though ;) )

Keep walking,S, it gets better.

BTW, crying is good.

Hugs,A.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Thank you, Alex.

Just to prove that I'm not Eeyore all the time, I record here that I'm feeling pretty good today. Dr. recently had me switch my estrogen from patch to sublingual. Maybe that's kicking in now.

Mr. Sparrow and I are going to our favorite little Mexican restaurant tonight. Fajitas, yum. And a big box of new books arrived from Amazon; that's always a treat.

If the weather would just cool down some I'd be all set. Still 90 degrees and suffocatingly humid here, typical for September. I can't wait to fling open all the windows and feel breezes through the house and maybe wear the tweedy grey cardigan that's about to come off my knitting needles.

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad you are feeling better Sparrow, enjoy your evening and your new books.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 3 weeks later...

In August 2005 I bought a brand-new little car that had exactly 16 miles on the odometer. Today it finally hit 30,000 miles.

That's right, it took me eight years to put 30k on my car. Most suburbanites do that in, what, a year?

I guess that tells you everything you need to know about the life I've had since going on psychotropic drugs.

But hey, doing okay today. Just finished making a big pot of beef bourguignon and oh does it smell delicious.

You sound good, Sparrow! When did your interest in cooking return? That sounds like progress.

• Administrator

Yummmm, beef bourguignon! Looking forward to that this winter.