Jodier212: help for reinstating/tapering

Jodier212

I really need advice as I’m not sure what to do. Should I go back on Paxil very small dose and/or Valium? All of my issues really started when I was cold turkey’d from the Ativan but now having problems after stopping the Paxil too. I have to get some relief from these stomach issues. I got down to 91lbs. My stomach burns, acid reflux, nausea, bloating, etc. When I was on Paxil, I had nausea and constipation. I was having issues eating before then because I’d get really full really fast because of the digestive issues with the steroids and the Ativan. Both of them created horrible digestive issues. They started getting better before I got on the Paxil but now it’s AWFUL!!! I force myself to eat and have smoothies but everything hurts no matter what I cut from my diet. Also, wondering if I should reinstate the benzo since everything started from that. Small dose of Valium and small dose of Paxil? Not sure what to do but I’m extremely suicidal because I have two kids on my own and no help. I have to work because I have nobody to depend on. Please help!!!!!!!!

2012-July 2020 Zoloft 50mg. Cold turkey’d due to adverse reaction after Ativan withdrawal. 

March 2020 High dose of Prednisone caused lump in throat feeling. Taken a course of steroids before this with no problem. 

April 2020-May 2020 Ativan 1mg 1x a day for 6 weeks. Cold turkey’d May 23. Reinstated a couple days later, tried to taper for a few days because I didn’t know any better. Back to ER in psychosis. None since. 

June 2020 Shot of steroid and antibiotics because I thought the pain in sinuses was due to sinus infection but was due to withdrawal. Didn’t help and made things much worse. 

August 2020 Paxil 10mg. 13 days. Cold turkey’d it after adverse reaction.

Currently only taking marshmallow root, slippery elm, digestive enzymes, probiotic, aloe Vera, and Pepcid. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Jodier212: help for reinstating/tapering
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jodier212 and welcome to SA,

To get you started please create your drug signature.  Please include ALL drugs/supplements, current AND previous (no description needed except the last dose you took, the date and how you stopped it, eg cold turkey CT, or fast taper).  Please follow these instructions.

Once we have your drug history in your signature we will be better able to offer suggestions.

It would also be helpful if you tell us in a post what symptoms you are currently experiencing and what are the worst ones.  How is your sleep?

We also need extra information (include summary in signature, details in a post) about your benzo usage.  We need to know the drug name/s, the doses and when you took them, start with a summary and then provide details for the last 2 months please dates and doses.

I will ask one of the benzo mods to check in.

This is your own Introduction topic which is the best place to ask questions and to journal your progress.

And a message from SA's founder Altostrata (there is a link in my signature to a recent podcast interview with her)

On 11/7/2020 at 8:23 AM, Altostrata said:

This is such a vital community because members help each other. It wouldn't be what it is without that mutual kindness and attention.

One of the things that's very important to each person here is knowing that healing is possible. Please don't just go away when you feel better! "Pay it forward" by updating your Intro topic with your progress

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/8/2020 at 9:49 AM, Jodier212 said:

Also, wondering if I should reinstate the benzo since everything started from that. Small dose of Valium and small dose of Paxil?

As ChessieCat wrote, once we have your drug history, we can better guide you.

Benzos cause dependency in 2 - 4 weeks and are best reinstated within one month of coming off. Please let us know your timeline for being on these drugs. 

Thank you all! I updated my signature! 

2012-July 2020 Zoloft 50mg. Cold turkey’d due to adverse reaction after Ativan withdrawal. 

March 2020 High dose of Prednisone caused lump in throat feeling. Taken a course of steroids before this with no problem. 

April 2020-May 2020 Ativan 1mg 1x a day for 6 weeks. Cold turkey’d May 23. Reinstated a couple days later, tried to taper for a few days because I didn’t know any better. Back to ER in psychosis. None since. 

June 2020 Shot of steroid and antibiotics because I thought the pain in sinuses was due to sinus infection but was due to withdrawal. Didn’t help and made things much worse. 

Currently only taking marshmallow root, slippery elm, digestive enzymes, probiotic, aloe Vera, and Pepcid. 

• Administrator

Hello, Jodier.

How did you go off Zoloft? Why did you start taking Ativan in April 2020? Did you start Paxil in May 2020? Or did you take it only 13 days in August 2020? Please clarify in your signature.

It appears at different times, you cold-turkeyed Zoloft, Ativan, and Paxil. This is a high-risk way of going off any psychiatric drug. It is possible you've had some kind of withdrawal syndrome since you went off Zoloft, exacerbated every time you cold-turkeyed another drug.

When I took the Zoloft, it caused adverse reactions

This was when you attempted to reinstate Zoloft in April 2020 (?). What dosage of Zoloft did you try?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I was still on Zoloft during the Ativan withdrawal. I got put on Ativan because I developed severe reflux and a lump in my throat feeling after taking a high dose of steroid. I only cold turkey’d from it after the Ativan because I started having an adverse reaction to it after that. Tried reinstating with Paxil a couple months later but then had this reaction. I was cold turkey’d from Ativan by my doctor.

My heart rate went down to 36 on Paxil so that’s why I discontinued it so quickly along with the other side effects.

It also went up to 160 at one time. I’ve had issues with tachycardia since the Ativan withdrawal but haven’t had it go that high for months. Only lasted a few minutes though. 

Changed signature again. Hope it’s easier to understand!

Want to point out that I did get relief from anxiety on the Paxil. This is why I’m wondering if I should reinstate at a low dose. The symptoms I had while on 10mg was tightness of muscles, constipation, heart rate irregularities, headaches, nausea, spaciness, muscle jerks, fatigue...when I was about 2 weeks off, I felt pretty good though. That lasted a week or so then came these horrible digestive issues that makes it hard to eat anything. Still have headaches but not as bad. Muscle pain and jerking. Extreme fatigue. Sleep 2 hours then awake. Then back to sleep then awake after another 2. Maybe the reinstatement didn’t work because of the different SSRI or because of the dose or because I was in withdrawal from the Ativan still? 🤔

On 11/11/2020 at 5:17 AM, Shep said:

As ChessieCat wrote, once we have your drug history, we can better guide you.

Benzos cause dependency in 2 - 4 weeks and are best reinstated within one month of coming off. Please let us know your timeline for being on these drugs. 

I’ve updated everything. Could someone please help me?! Feeling hopeless. 😔

On 11/10/2020 at 12:30 AM, ChessieCat said:

Hi Jodier212 and welcome to SA,

To get you started please create your drug signature.  Please include ALL drugs/supplements, current AND previous (no description needed except the last dose you took, the date and how you stopped it, eg cold turkey CT, or fast taper).  Please follow these instructions.

Once we have your drug history in your signature we will be better able to offer suggestions.

It would also be helpful if you tell us in a post what symptoms you are currently experiencing and what are the worst ones.  How is your sleep?

We also need extra information (include summary in signature, details in a post) about your benzo usage.  We need to know the drug name/s, the doses and when you took them, start with a summary and then provide details for the last 2 months please dates and doses.

I will ask one of the benzo mods to check in.

This is your own Introduction topic which is the best place to ask questions and to journal your progress.

And a message from SA's founder Altostrata (there is a link in my signature to a recent podcast interview with her)

I had no trouble with Zoloft that I was on for 8 years until I was cold turkey’d from Ativan. I’ve had muscle tension, insomnia, panic attacks, muscle jerks, tachycardia, breathing problems, etc since. When I took Zoloft after that, it made my anxiety worse and I was extremely shaky. When I stopped it, I felt better. My sleep and everything was improving but I kept having problems with tachycardia and breathing issues that I was convinced by doctors, therapists, psychiatrists, and family was my anxiety. I decided to take Paxil after discontinuing  Zoloft 2 months prior. It made me nauseous, constipated, I had extreme muscle tightness again within a week that made the breathing issues much worse, nightmares, insomnia, headaches, heart rate irregularities, etc but it helped with my anxiety. I was only on it for 13 days but stopped it cold turkey because of the extreme tightness in my muscles that was making it hard to breathe. I’ve been off of it now for 11 weeks and have extreme reflux, extreme nausea, bloat, constipation, a lot of muscle pain, muscle spasms, twitches, light/sound sensitivity, hot/cold flashes, severe depression, anxiety, etc. The squeezing pain around my ribs has gotten better so my breathing has gotten better but is back to being shallow like it was before the Paxil. Still have tightness that makes it hard to take a deep breath like before the Paxil. My abdominal muscle contract and are extremely hard when I’m up walking around and do so after I’ve eaten. I haven’t had a period since early September. The worst is the digestive issues. I can’t hardly eat and have to force myself to drink smoothies but the reflux and nausea is severe 😔  also have burning pain from throat all the way through digestive system at times. I’m at a loss on what to do. I’ve never had issues with meds until I was CT’d from Ativan after 6 weeks of use. Not sure if I should try to reinstate a very low dose of Paxil since it was the last med I was on or try Valium since the Ativan started this mess...

• Moderator Emeritus

Since you were only on Paxil for 13 days, I wouldn't reinstate this drug. That wasn't long enough to develop dependency and also, you had an adverse reaction. 

You've been off Ativan for almost 6 months, and benzo reinstatements work best within 1 month of stopping. So it would be risky to go back on it. 

You've been off Zoloft for 4 months and since you're not long taking a benzo, you may find that drug to be too stimulating. Of course, it may have been the steroid still causing problems. 

I'm going to ask the other mods more familiar with Zoloft if a small reinstatement might help. In the meantime, I'll leave you with some links to read over:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

On 11/11/2020 at 3:08 PM, Jodier212 said:

I got put on Ativan because I developed severe reflux and a lump in my throat feeling after taking a high dose of steroid.

Please let us know more about the steroid. What was the name and the dose? Please also list it in your signature, along with the date: 

Account Settings - Create or Update Your Signature

48 minutes ago, Shep said:

Please

I was on the steroid for 2 a couple of days in March when I developed the lump feeling in my throat and it was discontinued. I had a shot of a steroid again in June when I was 2 weeks into withdrawal from the Ativan. 

50 minutes ago, Shep said:

nce you were only on Paxil for 13 days, I wouldn't reinstate this drug. That wasn't long enough to develop dependency and also, you had an adverse reaction.

It’s been since the Paxil that I have had horrible stomach issues and can’t eat. Bloat, severe reflux, severe nausea, and burning in my stomach and digestive system since discontinuing that I did not have before. I’m wondering if the Ativan withdrawal sensitized my system to where I can’t tolerate SSRIs. When I stopped the Zoloft, the tight muscles I had went away. I don’t know if this was from the Zoloft but it came back when I got put on the Paxil. Idk what’s causing me to be so ill but I can hardly eat and am so sick! It hurts to eat so bad and it wasn’t this bad before the Paxil. 

1 hour ago, Shep said:

Since you were only on Paxil for 13 days, I wouldn't reinstate this drug. That wasn't long enough to develop dependency and also, you had an adverse reaction. 

Before the Paxil, I didn’t have a lot of the symptoms I’m having now. Some had gotten better and some are now worse than ever. I woke up gasping for air last night. I have hot and cold flashes. I’m sensitive to lights and sounds again. I think my brain did get dependent on the serotonin again because it was so sensitized. None of this happened until the Ativan cold turkey. 

• Administrator
On 11/11/2020 at 12:08 PM, Jodier212 said:

... I only cold turkey’d from it after the Ativan because I started having an adverse reaction to it after that....

What was this adverse reaction you had from Zoloft?

On 11/12/2020 at 8:56 AM, Jodier212 said:

Want to point out that I did get relief from anxiety on the Paxil. This is why I’m wondering if I should reinstate at a low dose. The symptoms I had while on 10mg was tightness of muscles, constipation, heart rate irregularities, headaches, nausea, spaciness, muscle jerks, fatigue...when I was about 2 weeks off, I felt pretty good though. That lasted a week or so then came these horrible digestive issues that makes it hard to eat anything. Still have headaches but not as bad. Muscle pain and jerking. Extreme fatigue. Sleep 2 hours then awake. Then back to sleep then awake after another 2. Maybe the reinstatement didn’t work because of the different SSRI or because of the dose or because I was in withdrawal from the Ativan still? 🤔

It seems to me that you have antidepressant withdrawal syndrome from the Zoloft cold turkey, compounded by Ativan cold turkey. This sensitized your nervous system to all drugs any may maybe some foods. Another SSRI, Paxil, helped a bit but the dosage probably was too high.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

2 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

What was this adverse reaction you had from Zoloft

It kept making me very shaky and made anxiety worse like I was crawling out of my skin. This would happen soon after taking it. Never had this reaction to it before. 

• Administrator

But you also had the steroid treatment before you stopped Zoloft in July, correct? Were you taking Zoloft and antibiotics at the same time of day?

5 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

But you also had the steroid treatment before you stopped Zoloft in July, correct? Were you taking Zoloft and antibiotics at the same time of day?

Yes, correct. I wasn’t not taking them together and had stopped the antibiotics when I was still taking them and realized the effect it was having on me. I read up on Paxil and it says it has anticholinergic effects which decrease the production of stomach juices and relax the stomach muscles. This must be why I’m having so many stomach issues. I can hear the stomach juices and my stomach muscles tighten almost immediately after eating and then the nausea begins. Apparently I’m still in withdrawal from the Paxil end it’s effects on acetylcholine in my nervous system. When I stopped the Zoloft, the muscle tension in my ribs went away but came back when I was on the Paxil. I never had it before until after the Ativan withdrawal and after the steroid. The steroid should’ve only lasted a week though. So, I’m guessing my system just can’t handle an SSRI or maybe I need a lower dose since its affected me so bad just being back on it for 13 days? 

• Administrator

It is not clear to me that you had an adverse reaction to Zoloft, it could have been the effect of the steroids or antibiotics, correct?

It appears you have Zoloft withdrawal syndrome, including the gut issues. If I were you, I would get the liquid form of Zoloft and try 1mg to start. A very small amount is unlikely to have the adverse effect of 50mg. Please let us know how you're doing.

5 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

It is not clear to me that you had an adverse reaction to Zoloft, it could have been the effect of the steroids or antibiotics, correct?

It appears you have Zoloft withdrawal syndrome, including the gut issues. If I were you, I would get the liquid form of Zoloft and try 1mg to start. A very small amount is unlikely to have the adverse effect of 50mg. Please let us know how you're doing.

Thank you for the help! ❤️

• Moderator Emeritus

Jodier, what was the name and dose of the antibiotic you took? How long were you on it? The reason I ask is because some antibiotics, such as the fluoroquinolone antibiotics, can cause severe reactions in people with benzo histories. 

4 minutes ago, Shep said:

Jodier, what was the name and dose of the antibiotic you took? How long were you on it? The reason I ask is because some antibiotics, such as the fluoroquinolone antibiotics, can cause severe reactions in people with benzo histories. 

It was augmentin 875mg. I think my stomach issues are from the anticholinergic effects of the Paxil. I’m having a lot of symptoms that are related to anticholinergic withdrawal syndrome. Body temp problems, stomach pain, stomach muscles tightening, nausea, etc along with the withdrawal from the serotonin in it that’s causing my achy muscles that I didn’t have until I came off the Paxil. 

I do think it’s worse because my CNS is so sensitized from the Ativan withdrawal then the Zoloft withdrawal. I think maybe I just can’t handle SSRIs or maybe the high dose because it gives me like serotonin syndrome with my muscles tightening up so bad. 

• Administrator

It's also fairly likely that going on and off Paxil made the underlying Zoloft withdrawal syndrome worse. We don't follow serotonin theories here. What we see is when people go on and off any kind of psychiatric drugs, they tend to get worse and worse withdrawal symptoms or adverse effects.