gallanthero26 - Healing from withdrawal

gallanthero26

(mod note) Link to: gallanthero26, main Introduction: 

I wanted to provide an update as to how I've been after about 3 years from coming off of taking antidepressants. After concerns from family about my OCD, I eventually ended up going to see a psychiatrist who prescribed prozac. He prescribed a low doses of prozac (10mg) and only 5mg of trifluoperazine that I had taken for about 3 weeks. After noticing a very strange numbing effect and rapid weight gain from a considerable appetite increase, I quit taking both drugs cold turkey. After noticing beginning signs of withdrawal, I went back to the psychatrist to which he said things would be fine and that since I was only taking 10mg that there would be no withdrawals. 

I ended up experiencing a variety of severe withdrawal symptoms that included strong fatigue, either excessive sleeping or insomnia, almost psychotic like dreams, strong food sensitivities, and other strange symptoms. These would fluctuate at a high level for another 4 months. It was a very difficult time and I remember the intense stress and anxiety of searching for answers and relief online. I was dorming in college at the time and found it very difficult to focus on my studies, so I ended up using that time to focus on recovering.

After about 4 months I noticed some relief and focused on bettering my diet, eating more closely to natural and organic diet. Implementing light exercise like yoga and walking also helped. I definitely noticed a correlation between how I felt and how I was eating, sleeping, and exercising. The intensity was less at this time and would fluctuate.

After about a year, I began to notice more considerable recovery. Sleep and fatigue were still prominent issues at this time, and it seemed like my nervous system was more sensitive. However, I was able to think more efficiently at this time and noticed a big improvement in focus. There were still fluctuations in how I was feeling, however, I could noticed an positive trajectory into feeling consistently better. 

After another year had passed, I noticed even more improvement. Finding less stimulating activities like less screen time, more time in nature, eating right, getting adequate sleep, getting a lot of sunlight exposure and occasional fasts would also help. I also found that finding the right type of work would not surprisingly have a serious effect on my stress levels. I only rarely thought about withdrawal at these times.

After another year I find myself in even better health. I feel pretty much normal again, only now I'm more well equipped to manage how I feel. I'm able to handle more work and I feel that my cognitive function is pretty much back to normal, if not even better than it was. I work 2nd shift full time. and just recently got hired for a 2nd part time position. I've built a lot of good habits through experiencing this ordeal, and continue to practice them. Eating organic, healthy natural foods, practicing yoga, Qi Gong and mediation, being in nature, and getting adequate sleep were 4 pillars I found to be hugely beneficial. I have more normal levels of anxiety, but am better able to handle anxiety, stress, and my OCD now.  Having fortitude, grit, faith, and optimism also helped me get through some challenging times.

I hope this helps others and am very thankful to be able to share this story.

Edited by manymoretodays
link to Introduction Topic added

Was put on Abilify from about March 2012 to September 2012, 10mg, self tapered no withdrawals

Last drugs I was put on - 10 mg fluoxetine (prozac) and 5mg trifluoperazine from December 17th 2017 - Jan 10th 2018. withdrawals about 1 week after quitting cold turkey

reinstated about Feb 2nd, prozac, 2.5 mg for about 1 week, withdrawals worsened, quit again cold turkey

tried reinstating 3/4/2018, stopped 3/7/2018

Currently taking fish oil

manymoretodays

Hey gallanthero26, and congratulations.  Success!!!

Thank you so much for coming back and updating us.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Started with psycho meds circa 1988 I think 27 or 28 total.

AD's, antpsychotics, antiseizure mood stabilizers. Lithium, lamictal ,benzos, and stimulants. Some med. for narcolepsy once(Provigil,) Gabapentin........probably more.  Ask me?......I probably was on it.  Haphazard W/D's by Dr. recommend or uneducated self.

10/2014- off Lexapro--had been on highest dose 10 mg. then 5 mg. for a couple of years, went from 5 mg. to 3 mg. liquid and then CT in hospital(voluntary).  I got out of the hospital on a combination of low dose adderal salts x1/day and trileptal 150mg. x2/day.

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!

3/21/2016---I did some unwise updosing of trileptal/oxcarbazepine with some stressful stuff......doubled the above dose x2 during this last wave but began liquifying again and on approximately 68mg. starting today.  11/12//2016 24 mg. oxcarbazepine  12/9/2016 off oxcarbazepine/trileptal!!!! :) optimistic  2016 December 9- completely off all medications!!!!!

Omega3's,EPA +DHA= 1800 mg/day. Magnesium complex, orally, diluted in a liter of H2O(that I can shake up.....it usually dissolves more completely as the water gets down to room temperature) and/or Epsom salt baths prn.   Vit. C, D3, and E.  B12, melatonin tapered to 1mg., and bioidentical hormones sublingually.  Trace mineral drops.  L-lysine.  L-methylfolate=400 mcg plus daily spinach. Totally ready for a good long window to hit soon and getting better strings of full days and partial days along the way.  Definite improvement overall since I first arrived on the SA survivor ship.  Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider. manymoretodays

Congratulations on your success @gallanthero26 Thanks for sharing your success story!

•august 2016- feb 2019: on and off SSRIs (fluoxetine and agomelatine) also unknown drug and clonazepam for a short amount of time 

•January 25 2020: 50mg of setraline and clonazepam 1mg 

•March 2020: increase to 100mg of setraline

•May 2020:  stopped setraline, fast tapper 3 weeks. stopped clonazepam, according to how my psychiatrists told me. 

@gallanthero26

I very happy you're doing so well and thank you for taking the time to come back and share your story.  You are an inspiration!

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Lorazepam 1 mg 1986-1991 CT, soon reinstated.  CT 2000. RI 1 mg 2011-2016.  Sept. 2016  0.625mg X 3

Nov.27, 2020 Begin 6-week Ativan-Valium crossover.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan. 2016 began every 3-weeks 10% taper, down to 15mg.  Aug 2016, discovered SA, updosed to 25mg and holding.  Taper is 66% complete.  

Supplements: omega, vitamins E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, melatonin .3mg

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@gallanthero26 that's awesome! I can't wait to be there one day! :)

2005 Started Antidepressants to help with sleep

2005-2017 on and off Paxil, Zoloft, Lexapro, and others that I can't remember

2017 Lexapro 10 mg

2018 Jan-Tried getting off lexapro. (within about a 4-6 week period) 

2018 March- Got back on Lexapro 10mg

2018 June Switched to Wellbutrin. (don't remember dosage)

2018 August Switched to Sertraline. 25 mg, 50, 75, then back down to 50 

2019 October Off Sertraline 

2019 December...back on Sertraline 25 mg 

2020 January-got back on Lexapro 5 mg

2020 March-current Lexapro 10 mg

2020 November currently switching to liquid Lexapro to begin taper

• ChessieCat changed the title to gallanthero26 - Healing from withdrawal