SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

gallanthero26 - Healing from withdrawal

gallanthero26

(mod note) Link to: gallanthero26, main Introduction: 

I wanted to provide an update as to how I've been after about 3 years from coming off of taking antidepressants. After concerns from family about my OCD, I eventually ended up going to see a psychiatrist who prescribed prozac. He prescribed a low doses of prozac (10mg) and only 5mg of trifluoperazine that I had taken for about 3 weeks. After noticing a very strange numbing effect and rapid weight gain from a considerable appetite increase, I quit taking both drugs cold turkey. After noticing beginning signs of withdrawal, I went back to the psychatrist to which he said things would be fine and that since I was only taking 10mg that there would be no withdrawals. 

I ended up experiencing a variety of severe withdrawal symptoms that included strong fatigue, either excessive sleeping or insomnia, almost psychotic like dreams, strong food sensitivities, and other strange symptoms. These would fluctuate at a high level for another 4 months. It was a very difficult time and I remember the intense stress and anxiety of searching for answers and relief online. I was dorming in college at the time and found it very difficult to focus on my studies, so I ended up using that time to focus on recovering.

After about 4 months I noticed some relief and focused on bettering my diet, eating more closely to natural and organic diet. Implementing light exercise like yoga and walking also helped. I definitely noticed a correlation between how I felt and how I was eating, sleeping, and exercising. The intensity was less at this time and would fluctuate.

After about a year, I began to notice more considerable recovery. Sleep and fatigue were still prominent issues at this time, and it seemed like my nervous system was more sensitive. However, I was able to think more efficiently at this time and noticed a big improvement in focus. There were still fluctuations in how I was feeling, however, I could noticed an positive trajectory into feeling consistently better. 

After another year had passed, I noticed even more improvement. Finding less stimulating activities like less screen time, more time in nature, eating right, getting adequate sleep, getting a lot of sunlight exposure and occasional fasts would also help. I also found that finding the right type of work would not surprisingly have a serious effect on my stress levels. I only rarely thought about withdrawal at these times.

After another year I find myself in even better health. I feel pretty much normal again, only now I'm more well equipped to manage how I feel. I'm able to handle more work and I feel that my cognitive function is pretty much back to normal, if not even better than it was. I work 2nd shift full time. and just recently got hired for a 2nd part time position. I've built a lot of good habits through experiencing this ordeal, and continue to practice them. Eating organic, healthy natural foods, practicing yoga, Qi Gong and mediation, being in nature, and getting adequate sleep were 4 pillars I found to be hugely beneficial. I have more normal levels of anxiety, but am better able to handle anxiety, stress, and my OCD now.  Having fortitude, grit, faith, and optimism also helped me get through some challenging times.

I hope this helps others and am very thankful to be able to share this story.

Edited by manymoretodays
link to Introduction Topic added

Was put on Abilify from about March 2012 to September 2012, 10mg, self tapered no withdrawals

Last drugs I was put on - 10 mg fluoxetine (prozac) and 5mg trifluoperazine from December 17th 2017 - Jan 10th 2018. withdrawals about 1 week after quitting cold turkey

reinstated about Feb 2nd, prozac, 2.5 mg for about 1 week, withdrawals worsened, quit again cold turkey

tried reinstating 3/4/2018, stopped 3/7/2018

Currently taking fish oil

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey gallanthero26, and congratulations.  Success!!!

Thank you so much for coming back and updating us.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Congratulations on your success @gallanthero26 Thanks for sharing your success story!

•august 2016- feb 2019: on and off SSRIs (fluoxetine and agomelatine) also unknown drug and clonazepam for a short amount of time 

•January 25 2020: 50mg of setraline and clonazepam 1mg 

•March 2020: increase to 100mg of setraline

•May 2020:  stopped setraline, fast tapper 3 weeks. stopped clonazepam, according to how my psychiatrists told me. 

• Moderator Emeritus

@gallanthero26

I very happy you're doing so well and thank you for taking the time to come back and share your story.  You are an inspiration!

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@gallanthero26 that's awesome! I can't wait to be there one day! :)

2005-2020 diff AD for trouble sleeping, switched multiple times. 

2020 Dec Escitalopram 10 mg

2021 Jan 10 mg -start BMS taper w/2 wk hold

2022 March 3.63 mg

2022 July 2.65 mg

2022 November 1.96 mg

2023 February 1.48 mg

2023 August .90 mg

.25mg Melatonin (as needed)

• ChessieCat changed the title to gallanthero26 - Healing from withdrawal
  • 1 month later...

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I need the hope right now.

Approx. 2010 - 2015 sertraline and Xanax (cannot remember doses)
2015 - 2020  CT’d sertraline/Xanax combo and went on fluoxetine (80mg) and Clonazepam (.5mg as needed) at Psych’s advice

September 2020 - bupropion (300mg) - took only 3 doses before getting horrible tinnitus and stopping CT

Week of 20th October 2020 - took 80mg Monday, 40 Tuesday, 20 Wednesday, nothing Thursday, and final 20 Friday (on doctor advice)

December 24 2020 - January 3 2021 - Reinstated Fluoxetine at 10mg (Dec 24th). Too much, tapered down to 5mg (Dec 28). Too much, tapered down to 2.5mg (Dec 31st). Still too much, tapered down to my current 1.25mg (Jan 3 2021).
Currently taking 2mg of Clonazepam. One at night and one in the morning. Fluoxetine (1.25mg) at night. Fish Oil (360mg 3x daily) and Magnesium (122mg a pill, 2 in the afternoon, 1 at night plus another 100mg in hearing sups for my tinnitus)

Also a bunch of other supplements recommended by my ENT in case some of my symptoms are not withdrawal related, so won’t list them here. As well as supplements to treat my tinnitus which is a toxic reaction symptom I received by being proscribed Bupropion while still on Prozac.