Chels: 23 weeks pregnant and struggling

Chels

Hi Everyone, 

I’m hoping some of you could help me out on what my next steps should be since I’m 23 weeks pregnant and now very scared of what the next months and years hold for me. Here’s my history.

When I was 16 (2006) I went on Zoloft due to break up with a boyfriend I could literally scream now that my psychiatrist kept me on the drug all these years I’m 31 now. Over the years I upped the the dose to 100mgs of Zoloft and stayed there for the most part in December of 2018 my mental health started declining and I developed severe ocd symptoms I was so scared we tried to up the dose of Zoloft to 150 but my body couldn’t handle it and I don’t know why? (Well now I do) I was given klonopin to combat the anxiety of the ocd and took like 1.5mg of klonopin for a month before I cold turkeyed it since doctors think if you only been on it four weeks it’s fine.

Went through benzo withdrawal for about a month and half of suffering, but then I found you guys which led me down a different path I never made an account I just observed what other peoples stories were I decided right then I would start tapering the Zoloft as well because I figured the meds were making me worse, I don’t know why at the time but I probably made the mistake of adding 10mg of Prozac to my 100mg of Zoloft to taper off of. I was still very much lisenting to my psychiatrist but luckily I was able to stablize fairly quickly on that and continue with my taper of Zoloft at first I tapered a little fast cutting the dose in 12.5mgs but would hold the next dose long until I cut again, by the time I got to 37.5mg I started cutting 10% each two weeks or sometimes would hold for a month depending on how I felt my taper was going beautifully I felt good, I suffered from the occasional fatigue and depressed feelings but nothing I couldn’t handle, fast forward a year and a half later to this summer July of 2020 I found out I was pregnant but I got this severe case of morning sickness where I would vomit 20 times a day and couldn’t keep down anything, I was on 8 or 9 mgs of Zoloft and 4mgs of Prozac liquids by that time but I had to discontinue it because I literally could not keep it down, I felt okay for two months until the pregnancy hormones started kicking in and i felt a little down, that’s when all hell broke lose, my ob suggested to start the Zoloft again at 12.5mgs and I guess I felt so baby brained that I complied, biggest mistake ever I took one pill and completely had an adverse reaction.

Panic, fear, severe anxiety, pacing. That lasted for about 5 days and just when I was leveling out my family and husband were really pushing me to start medication again I felt entirely forced because they are telling me I need help and I’m pregnant and I can’t be like this that’s when my psychiatrist suggested I start .5mg liquid of lexapro I was on that for 6 days and then became completely suicidal.

It was the scariest thing of my life I went off it and tried to heal myself but I kept getting worse and worse the fear, panic, doom and suffering was UNBEARABLE the suicidal thoughts my family was getting so worried and so pressuring, I tried to tell them multiple times about antidepressant withdrawal and I think this is the drugs and they ALL shut me down and was trying to force me back onto medication I just felt like I was a caged animal up against the wall I didn’t know what to do because I love my family but I knew in my heart what this was, then two weeks after the lexapro I was admitted to hospital for cutting my wrist (something I’ve never done before) and they started me on 5mg of Prozac I took that for a week then forced to up to 10mg for a week and I was on my 15mgs for 3 days when I finally said enough is enough to my family and that medication isn’t helping, it’s making me worse, I told them I wouldn’t take it and they admitted me to psych hospital involuntary which probably saved my life because the psychiatrist there actually heard me and agreed this was withdrawal and he even knew that reinstatement does more harm than good at higher doses he told my family and husband which put them in shock and guilt.

He took me off the Prozac, but now I’m just really scared I feel waves and windows throughout the day I’m pregnant and I’m so scared I wanted to enjoy my first pregnancy so bad and this has been a huge mess, I do feel a little better having my husbands support now but I still feel extreme anxiety I’m taking magnesium glycinate to calm down and vitamin c in the morning for the cortisol surges I’m doing acupuncture but I have yet to figure out if that’s revving up my symptoms. I’m so so scared I’m not going to be able to be the mother I wanted to be. I don’t know if there’s anything else I can do or if anyone has any suggestions. I feel so depressed and doomed everyday I feel severe suicidal thoughts and sometimes urges. It’s all very scary.  Thank you so much for taking the time reading this 

Edited by Altostrata
added paragraph breaks

2006- started Zoloft(eventually up to 100mgs)

January 2019 - started Prozac 10mg to start tapering off Zoloft 100mg started tapering 12.5mg every month until I hit about 37.5 mg then started liquid taper of Zoloft and Prozac 

July 2020 - 8mg of Zoloft 4 mg Prozac got pregnant and had hyperemesis (severe morning sickness) stopped taking the medication because of the sickness

September 2020 - reinstated Zoloft 12.5mg 1 dose adverse reaction stopped 5 days later started lexapro .5 liquid for 6 days and 1mg 2 days ended up suicidal stopped immediately

October 2020 - started Prozac 5mg 1 week 10 mg 1 week and 15 mg days ended up so bad admitted to psych hospital where the doctor confirmed adverse reactions from withdrawal and stopped everything 

December 24 2020 - 1mg Ativan 2 times a day 5mg of zyprexa split 2.5 morning and 2.5 night

jan 14 2021 - pristiq 25mg for two weeks, not good fast taper off 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Chels: 23 weeks pregnant and struggling
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Chels.  I'm sorry you're feeling so bad.  Thank you for completing your signature.

If you are really feeling suicidal, you need to seek out local help, and speak to someone trained in dealing with this.  See:  For those who are feeling desperate or suicidal

It was very fortunate the doctors recognized you were experiencing withdrawal and also adverse reactions.  It's very good you now have your husband's support.  You will heal.  This is not forever.  I suggest you read some of the Success Stories in our main forum page.  They are very encouraging.  You will pull out of this.

Regarding the acupuncture, it's important that you tell the acupuncturist that you want only sedating points worked on, not activating points.

In addition to the magnesium, we also recommend omegas.  Many members find them calming.

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that ae single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

So that you have a better idea of what you're experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal and the healing process.  The symptoms of an adverse reaction are very similar to those of withdrawal.

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi Gridley,

Thank you for replying to me I appreciate your time. I am seeing a therapist multiple times a week now, but getting through the day is quite tough. I really wish I never felt the pressures from my family to keep reinstating medicine but I feel very grateful for going to that psych hospital and meeting that psychiatrist who ultimately confirmed what I already knew. I wish I could seek some relief somehow and I’m also really scared I was on 5mgs of Prozac for one week, 10mgs another and 15mgs for three days and I’m sure that’s still exiting my body, I’m afraid to give birth and still not be well and then have all the stress of being a mother ontop of that. Thank you again for replying

January 2019 - started Prozac 10mg to start tapering off Zoloft 100mg started tapering 12.5mg every month until I hit about 37.5 mg then started liquid taper of Zoloft and Prozac 

July 2020 - 8mg of Zoloft 4 mg Prozac got pregnant and had hyperemesis (severe morning sickness) stopped taking the medication because of the sickness

September 2020 - reinstated Zoloft 12.5mg 1 dose adverse reaction stopped 5 days later started lexapro .5 liquid for 6 days and 1mg 2 days ended up suicidal stopped immediately

October 2020 - started Prozac 5mg 1 week 10 mg 1 week and 15 mg days ended up so bad admitted to psych hospital where the doctor confirmed adverse reactions from withdrawal and stopped everything 

December 24 2020 - 1mg Ativan 2 times a day 5mg of zyprexa split 2.5 morning and 2.5 night

Also do you think I have a better chance at this because even though I jumped from my taper too soon, I was still tapering down from lower doses? Or did I just completely screw everything up with adding all those medicines for a short period of time? I know you can’t possibly know what my road looks like but just from seeing and gathering information from others who went down a similar path as me. I wish I never got so sick in my pregnancy and had to discontinue my taper I feel like I messed up so badly.

• Moderator Emeritus
35 minutes ago, Chels said:

I’m also really scared I was on 5mgs of Prozac for one week, 10mgs another and 15mgs for three days and I’m sure that’s still exiting my body,

You will get better.  It will take some time, but you will heal. And congratulations on your baby.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus
31 minutes ago, Chels said:

Also do you think I have a better chance at this because even though I jumped from my taper too soon, I was still tapering down from lower doses? Or did I just completely screw everything up with adding all those medicines for a short period of time? I know you can’t possibly know what my road looks like but just from seeing and gathering information from others who went down a similar path as me. I wish I never got so sick in my pregnancy and had to discontinue my taper I feel like I messed up so badly.

You didn't mess up.  You were on the drugs you mention for a very short time, not long enough for dependency, and since you were having an adverse reaction you did exactly the right thing to stop.  Please don't blame yourself.  You did fine.  Everyone on this forum has made mistakes (I know I have) and the important thing now is to move on toward healing.  You're off the drugs, and your brain is working very hard to heal and will succeed. 

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

I was on Zoloft for 15 prior to reinstating these drugs and then getting adverse reactions. But I did jump the Zoloft and Prozac from low doses because I was already doing a 10% taper which was going extremely well before I got pregnant. 

• Moderator Emeritus
9 minutes ago, Chels said:

I was on Zoloft for 15 prior to reinstating these drugs and then getting adverse reactions. But I did jump the Zoloft and Prozac from low doses because I was already doing a 10% taper which was going extremely well before I got pregnant. 

It's good that you got down lower.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Is akathisia common with adverse reactions? I feel like I want to rip my insides open I feel so uncomfortable and like my brain is on fire, is this acute withdrawal? Is it normal to have windows and waves in adverse reactions in the beginning?

• Moderator Emeritus

@Chels

Akathisia is unfortunately a common withdrawal/adverse effect symptom.  It fades with time.

Akathisia vs restlessness, anxiety, agitation - Symptoms and ...

Acute withdrawal is the first few weeks of withdrawal.  After that it's protracted withdrawal.

It's normal to have waves and windows, ups and downs, throughout the healing process.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Do you think what I’m going through is the adverse drug reactions to reinstating or withdrawal? When I jumped from the Zoloft and Prozac on low doses after tapering for a while I didn’t feel bad for those two months until I took the one dose of Zoloft again and then lexapro for a week and then Prozac for two weeks and 3 days? I’m just confused if this would be considered adverse reactions.

Has anyone on here been pregnant while going through this? I’m so so scared 

Hi Chels,

I sorry your feeling so poorly.  Your more than likely experiencing both adverse reaction and withdrawal complications, which share many of the same symptoms.

Please don't be scared. Your baby is a precious gift to help motivate you to get through this rough time.🧸

Take one day at a time, and during the rough hours, one hour at a time.  Force yourself to focus on the future, not the past.  Do you and your husband have a name picked out for your baby?  Remember that when the tough times in life come, we continue forward for the people you love, and once your baby arrives things will still be tough, but it will have been worth it that you did all you did now to stay calm and happy so your baby can continue to grow healthy during the rest of your pregnancy. 

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs 8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6) Compound started 6/28/21: 0.24mgs, 8/29/21: 0.22mgs, 10/31/21: 0.20mgs, 1/03/22: 0.18mgs, 3/5/22: 0.16mgs, 5/5/22: 0.14mgs.

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's SA's topic:  https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/4394-antidepressants-withdrawal-during-pregnancy/

Please be aware that some of the members might post about their fears of going through WD/tapering/taking drugs whilst pregnant and about how it might affect the baby.  However I can point you to member bubble who now has a healthy baby.

And here is bubble's post about her baby:  bubble has posted about her baby in her benzo topic

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Do you think My symptoms are worse because I’m pregnant? It’s seems like bubbles was more stable in her tapers at the time of birth, I was stable but then got severe morning sickness and was reinstated on Zoloft at too high of of dose 1 pill and I felt awful and knew it was a reaction a week later I was slowly coming out of it but my family forced me onto lexapro .5 liquid for 8 days and then became suicidal and stopped I just kept getting worse after that and then I was put on Prozac for two weeks and 3 days and again just kept getting worse and worse I have gotten some days where I’m not as bad but then I go right back into panic and fear again.

• Moderator Emeritus

I gave you the link about bubble, not because of her symptoms, but that she had had a healthy baby.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I appreciate that. 

I’m afraid the stress of this will affect my baby. I’m constantly in panic. I also don’t know if my hormones is making everything worse

I tapered 2 meds (Quetiapine and Citalopram) during my second pregnancy. The first one (Quetiapine) in one week because of the risk it represent ( it’s an antipsychotic). It was almost a C/T.  It was very tough at the beginning, anxiety and huge insomnia for me, but at the end I gave birth to a wonderful and healthy girl. I was so afraid that she could have some  sequel. She is now 11 and is the smartest and healthiest  little girl you can imagine. 
But of course, it was not a « easy  » pregnancy, and the postpartum has been hard. I asked a lot of help from my mom and mother in law. They helped me tremendously in my worst period. But I went through, one day at a time. At the end it was an happy ending.

2008-Today: various ADs, benzos and seroquel , initially for Anxiety Related Insomnia. (Absolutely no other mental issues than simple Insomnia!).

Numerous W/D and C/T of those meds. During those years, my GP diagnosed me with GAD, Depression, etc... It was all W/D related, I know now!

Fall of 2019, after too fast attempt to taper Mirtazapine, put myself in full blown W/D.
February 2020, found SA and staying on 45mg Mirtazapine, waiting for stabilization.

February 2021, I stupidly used some Ativan prn to cope with Mirtazapine W/D symptoms (By far worst mistake of all my life!!).

Became accidentally and rapidly addicted (within 2-3 weeks). Started taper immediately.

Actual medication: Mirtazapine: 40,0mg - holding-
Ativan Taper: Started at 0,29mg march 2021, 03-28 0.28mg/ 04-08 0.27mg/ 04-26 0.25mg/ (...) 10-29 0.18mg/ 04-05-22 0.17mg/ 08-25-22 0.16mg/ 09-15-22 0.15mg/ 10-22-22 0.14mg/…/ 01-12-2023 0.11mg /07-02-2024 switch to 1mg Valium /

14-02-2024 0,9mg Valium.

Supplements: Omega-3, Probiotic.

@Mimi79 thank you for reaching out! Did you do fast tapers? Did you feel doom and panic for most of your pregnancy? Do you think our hormones in pregnancy work against us during this? 

I stopped Quetiapine C/T the week I had my pregnancy test. I was taking it for insomnia so my sleep went away. Totally.

I tapered 30 mg celexa (citalopram) during the first 7 months of my pregnancy, so over a 6 months period. It was pretty fast. At the beginning, I think my hormones worked against me, but at the end, I think it was the opposite. Like if my body wanted me to feel good for the birthday.  During the last weeks of my pregnancy and few weeks after I gave birth, I was in a long and wonderful window. I had pretty good time during this period. I’m sure at this point it was my pregnancy hormones that helped me.
 But 1 month after my daughter arrived, I started a postpartum depression, and I know now it was in fact a wave of WD symptoms from celexa taper. This is where I needed a lot of help from my family. 
Don’t forget that in time, you will heal. In fact, everyday you are healing.  Don’t be afraid. And also don’t have guilt about your baby. Just do the best to take care of you and nurture yourself. Your baby will be fine, even if you have a lot of stress. My daughter is a proof of it. I had this guilt for a long time and now I realize it was useless.  Take one day at a time, one hour if it is too hard. And ask for help if you need it. 

Take care of you! 

2008-Today: various ADs, benzos and seroquel , initially for Anxiety Related Insomnia. (Absolutely no other mental issues than simple Insomnia!).

Numerous W/D and C/T of those meds. During those years, my GP diagnosed me with GAD, Depression, etc... It was all W/D related, I know now!

Fall of 2019, after too fast attempt to taper Mirtazapine, put myself in full blown W/D.
February 2020, found SA and staying on 45mg Mirtazapine, waiting for stabilization.

February 2021, I stupidly used some Ativan prn to cope with Mirtazapine W/D symptoms (By far worst mistake of all my life!!).

Became accidentally and rapidly addicted (within 2-3 weeks). Started taper immediately.

Actual medication: Mirtazapine: 40,0mg - holding-
Ativan Taper: Started at 0,29mg march 2021, 03-28 0.28mg/ 04-08 0.27mg/ 04-26 0.25mg/ (...) 10-29 0.18mg/ 04-05-22 0.17mg/ 08-25-22 0.16mg/ 09-15-22 0.15mg/ 10-22-22 0.14mg/…/ 01-12-2023 0.11mg /07-02-2024 switch to 1mg Valium /

14-02-2024 0,9mg Valium.

Supplements: Omega-3, Probiotic.

@Gridley hey sorry for asking a series of questions, but I’m just curious about waves and windows, I read the topic on it but I was wondering is it even normal I’m having windows in the beginning of an adverse reaction? Is that a good sign? Does the heightened anxiety and severe depression ever pass?

• Moderator Emeritus
34 minutes ago, Chels said:

@Gridley hey sorry for asking a series of questions, but I’m just curious about waves and windows, I read the topic on it but I was wondering is it even normal I’m having windows in the beginning of an adverse reaction? Is that a good sign? Does the heightened anxiety and severe depression ever pass?

There can be waves and windows at any stage of the healing/withdrawal/adverse reaction process.  If you're having windows at the beginning it's a good sign.  The heightened anxiety and severe depression do pass.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Hi Chels,

You asked if anyone went through this while pregnant?  In 1999 and 2001 I went CT off of Zoloft 100 mg when I was expecting (both at 5 months).  The first time I don't recall having any problems, mentally or physically, but the second time I was very emotionally distressed (like you). None of the physical though.  Sorry I cannot compare notes on that however I can hopefully offer you some reassurance:  Both babies were healthy! 

It pains me to see so many people struggling and then I get angry for all of us.  These psych prescriptions seem worse than street drugs or at least as bad! The fact that it's legal and considered good treatment, ground breaking "science", is a joke. 

Carrying on:  You mentioned an OB.  Did she prescribe any pre-natal vitamins or supplements, or do you take any OTC?  If so I suggest researching them thoroughly and perhaps asking moderators about possible interactions. Whether withdrawal or an adverse reaction your brain could be extremely hypersensitized to what is harmless to most.  I've discovered that I've had that issue for a while and didn't know it until watching close.  I've also found that certain foods cause symptoms. At first I thought it must be a coincidence but it wasn't.  

Cymbalta:  Currently 48.5 mg.  Previously 60 mg, 2011-Oct 2020.  

Taper Oct 11-13 (three day reduction of 30 mg relieved many Serotonin Toxicity symptoms but WD became too harsh). Oct 14- 24 (eleven day reduction of 10%, 54 mg).  Oct 25  (began second reduction of 10%, 48.5 mg; holding to stabilize and work on schedule).  

Zoloft  100 mg. 1993-2000 Stopped CT for pregnancy twice, then it pooped out.  Reinstated 2011-2020.    

Taper attempt:  Oct 17-24 (seven days at 87.5 mg was discontinued; reinstated to 100 mg). 

Buprenorphine: 8 mg (4 mg 2x day @ 4pm and 1am)  Atenolol: 25 mg (max 2x day; prn).  Xanax: .125 mg (max 3x day; prn; average 2x).  HRT: Transdermal weekly patch.  Melatonin OTC:  2.5 mg, sleep.  Magnesium Citrate OTC: 125 mg, dinner.

Oct-Nov 2020:  Discontinued Simvastatin 20 mg, Magnesium Glycinate, Vitamin D, and Chia Seed Extract. Growing sensitivities.

@AJ716 thank you for answering, I’m not taking prenatal unfortunately anymore, it makes the symptoms worse and my baby boy is healthy, I have to sacrifice some things so I can be as healthy as I can be through this experience while going through this.

@Gridley thank you for being so kind in answering all my questions i do have another one, I know I had adverse reactions to the drugs I tried to reinstate however was it the worst thing ever I just stopped them the one I took the longest was Prozac for 2 weeks 3 days? It’s been a week and 3 days since I haven’t taken anything, I’m hoping that the windows I’m getting isn’t due to the medication? But it’s weird because I felt way worse on it. 

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, Chels said:

It’s been a week and 3 days since I haven’t taken anything, I’m hoping that the windows I’m getting isn’t due to the medication?

It's hard to figure these things out.  I would assume it's a good window.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Chels, I just want you to know I'm praying for you.  My heart goes out to you.  I did a fast taper and a couple reinstatements for Lexapro.  I had a very rough time with that, but then I found this forum in March 2019, and slowed my taper waaaay down.  I have been getting better and better with each day.  It takes time.  Our brains are very complex, and take a long time to adjust and heal.  Do what you can to get help with the baby.  Do you have relatives and friends who can help?  That will make a huge difference.  Jennifer 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

@getofflex hi Jennifer thank you so much for your prayers. I fortunately do have a lot of support when the baby is born so I feel very lucky for that. 

i did start with a really slow taper of Zoloft in January of 2019, I wasn’t done with it by the time I got pregnant and had every intention of continuing after the baby the was born and just stabilizing on the low dose I was on while I was pregnant but the first trimester rocked me, I could not keep food or anything down so in July I stopped it, I tried to reinstate two months later but my body just wasn’t having it, and it was leading to worse problems. So now I’m off everything, I’m hoping that because I was already on low doses from my taper it won’t be so bad, and that the reinstating didn’t mess with my healing time too much. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I will continue to pray for you.  Keep us posted.  Jennifer

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

@getofflex thank you Jennifer! I will be praying for you as well, through this experience I really believe in the power of prayer more and more and how helpful it is, when I kept reinstating medication a few weeks ago at the advice of my psychiatrist and family because I was legit a mess so everyone thought there was something really wrong with me, (I knew it was the medication from withdrawaling in July and then trying to go back on) but no one would listen to me. My family involuntary committed me to a psychiatric hospital, I just prayed and prayed I was terrified but I knew I would be forced medication there. I met with the psychiatrist there and he confirmed I was in withdrawal and I was having adverse reactions to reinstating. So I believe that god and the universe lined that up for me so I can finally close the chapter of trying to convince my family. If I didn’t meet that psychiatrist I don’t know where I’d be - he truly saved my life. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/18/2020 at 8:13 AM, Chels said:

@getofflex thank you Jennifer! I will be praying for you as well, through this experience I really believe in the power of prayer more and more and how helpful it is, when I kept reinstating medication a few weeks ago at the advice of my psychiatrist and family because I was legit a mess so everyone thought there was something really wrong with me, (I knew it was the medication from withdrawaling in July and then trying to go back on) but no one would listen to me. My family involuntary committed me to a psychiatric hospital, I just prayed and prayed I was terrified but I knew I would be forced medication there. I met with the psychiatrist there and he confirmed I was in withdrawal and I was having adverse reactions to reinstating. So I believe that god and the universe lined that up for me so I can finally close the chapter of trying to convince my family. If I didn’t meet that psychiatrist I don’t know where I’d be - he truly saved my life. 

I'm sad that your family forced you into a psychiatric hospital.  This is why I didn't really tell my doctor how hard my WD was, I suspected he would probably try to make me take the drugs again.  I'm still praying for you and your baby.  Whatever you do, be sure and get lots of help when the baby is born.  Keep us posted.  Jennifer

Im in a bad wave, all I keep thinking is will I heal from this? And the fact I’m pregnant is just devastating because I really wanted to enjoy my pregnancy. I feel like if I hadn’t gotten so sick in the first trimester I would have never gone off from my slow taper. Even though I was down to low doses of my medication it still wasn’t low enough and then trying reinstating with other drugs because my family was pushing me. Would I be having withdrawal effects from reinstating Prozac for 2 weeks? I was getting windows but now I’m in a wave and I read somewhere that Prozac stays in the system for 25 days which I’m only on day 14 of not having anything. Does that mean I’ll get worse one the Prozac is out of system? Does anyone recommend reinstating? Not that I want to, I just don’t want to feel this terrible. @Gridley (or if anyone could help answer this)

• Moderator Emeritus

Would I be having withdrawal effects from reinstating Prozac for 2 weeks?

Very likely not.  You need to be on a psychiatric drug for a month before you're at risk of withdrawal symptoms.

Prozac stays in the system for 25 days

I wouldn't stress yourself with worry about these things and catastrophizing about what might happen.  Stress makes withdrawal worse.  

recommend reinstating?

No, I wouldn't recommend reinstating.  These drugs do not agree with you.

12 hours ago, Chels said:

all I keep thinking is will I heal from this?

Yes, you will heal.  But it will take take time, and throwing more drugs at the situation is not the answer.  Please stop kicking yourself and thinking about might-have-beens.  We have all made many mistakes along the way.  The key, the absolute key, is acceptance of the situation.  I know you wanted your pregnancy to be a happy one, and it might well be.  But you need to accept whatever happens.  That is integral to dealing with withdrawal.

You will be fine. Please assume that and go from there.  You may have to change some longtime thinking patterns to do that.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• Moderator Emeritus
12 hours ago, Chels said:

Im in a bad wave, all I keep thinking is will I heal from this? And the fact I’m pregnant is just devastating because I really wanted to enjoy my pregnancy. I feel like if I hadn’t gotten so sick in the first trimester I would have never gone off from my slow taper. Even though I was down to low doses of my medication it still wasn’t low enough and then trying reinstating with other drugs because my family was pushing me. Would I be having withdrawal effects from reinstating Prozac for 2 weeks? I was getting windows but now I’m in a wave and I read somewhere that Prozac stays in the system for 25 days which I’m only on day 14 of not having anything. Does that mean I’ll get worse one the Prozac is out of system? Does anyone recommend reinstating? Not that I want to, I just don’t want to feel this terrible. @Gridley (or if anyone could help answer this)

I want to second what Gridley said to you about this.  Acceptance has really helped me.  When I was in the worst of my withdrawal, I feel very badly.  After reading how so many others go through the same thing, and then get better, it really helped me to be at peace with it.  I will be praying for you.  Hang in there, it does get better.  

@getofflex thank you Jennifer, I just am so scared about becoming a mom through this. I tried to do everything right but starting a slow taper almost 2 years ago but then I got so sick in the pregnancy. I’m not sure if I’m considered a cold turkey or not? I am trying so hard to accept this pain and suffering but it sometimes so hard I’m super emotional from this and hormones and everyday I just cry. 

@Gridley thank you so much for your patience and always answering my questions it means so much to me.

@Altostrata or @ChessieCat I would really appreciate your opinion about reinstating a small amount because I’m struggling so much at the moment I don’t know if you could maybe read my story and please help me! I’m 25 weeks pregnant I feel like I can’t live like this, I’m dying!!