FlyingFinn: PSSD and the fear that comes with it

FlyingFinn

Hello I am 24y old male. Around july 2019 my medication was switched from valdoxan (agomelatine) wich I used for 4 years without any problems to some SSRI medication and some antipsych. - meds. I cant remember the name of my medication since it was switched numerous times cause  I instantly felt that it affected my sexual drive. The condition gradually got worse with symptoms like: total death of sexual drive, erectile dysfunction, absent feeling of sensation in orgasms. I finally stopped taking any meds cold turkey around this july 2020 with my last medication being sertraline accord 50mg if I remember correctly, so I was on the SSRI -meds about a year. Now 5 months later after quitting the meds my symptoms are still as bad  with a new symptom of  having numb feelings: I dont feel sadness nor hapiness and its hard for me to feel interested romantically. 

I learned about PSSD several months ago but found this forum about a week ago. One post really shocked me here. In the post user wrote something like this: "there are over 4000 users in this forum yet only 40 success stories". This really made me sad and desperate, even suicidal. Is the situation really this hopeless? I'm really running out hope right now, and would like to hear your stories and some encourageing news and studies. 

I can also provide exact medical history next time I have an appointment. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to FlyingFinn: PSSD and the fear that comes with it
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, FlyingFinn.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  If you don't remember some, that's not a problem.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Numbness of feeling is a common withdrawal symptom, known as emotional anesthesia.  Lack of interest in romance is an aspect of this.  A related and also common withdrawal symptom is anhedonia, inability to experience pleasure.  The sexual issues you describe are also typical in psychiatric drug withdrawal.  It has been our experience here that we all heal, though it can take some time.  

I haven't counted the success stories, but I'm sure there are quite a few more that forty.  The reason that there are fewer success stories than you would expect, given the size of the site, is that the majority of members who have healed want to get on with their lives and, once they've healed, don't return to the site and  don't write their success story.  So the situation is far from hopeless.  Google SurvivingAntidepressants.org PSSD success stories   The number of those who heal but don't post a success, I would strongly guess, would be many multiples of those who do write a success story.  I'd also suggest you visit the general Success Story forum on the main page of this site and read through them.  They are very encouraging.

So that you have a better idea of what you're experiencing, here is some i formation on withdrawal and the healing process.

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

U shouldnt quit cold turkey .....sex drive will return......but quit cold turkey can mess situation

2019-till date--bupron xl 150mg and nexito 20 or 10mg for on and off in every 2 months

For low libido 

Start on september of 2019

2017-2019 august ----fluxovin 50mg which cause sexual dsyction

I want to ask is there any antidode for sexual and dslsyfuction and emotions and feeling

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Girdley, I will read this properly with a proper translator, since english isnt my native, so Im not possibly able to grasp the information here well enough on my own. 

I'm also sorry that I took so long time in responding, I tried to not think about PSSD and kept myself away from internet, because I found a finnish thread at some site where this self claimant researcher said that there is no known case of recovery and that its impossible since PSSD is basically brain damage. This  really terrified me, so I quit internet for a while. 

I will provide you guys my medical record next Thursday since then I can get acces to them when I have an appointment with my doctor. 

On 11/18/2020 at 10:35 PM, Deepu said:

U shouldnt quit cold turkey .....sex drive will return......but quit cold turkey can mess situation

What do you mean by this? How mess? 

• Moderator Emeritus
29 minutes ago, FlyingFinn said:

I'm also sorry that I took so long time in responding, I tried to not think about PSSD and kept myself away from internet, because I found a finnish thread at some site where this self claimant researcher said that there is no known case of recovery and that its impossible since PSSD is basically brain damage. This  really terrified me, so I quit internet for a while. 

We have members that have recovered from PSSD.  Here is the link to a search for PSSD in the Success Stories forum:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?q=pssd&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=28

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

And this member:  danieln-pssd-recovery

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

We have members that have recovered from PSSD.  Here is the link to a search for PSSD in the Success Stories forum:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?q=pssd&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=28

Dear ChessieCat, thank you for your responses and the time and effort you put on this. 

Im glad to see theese recovery stories, all tho allmost all the stories didnt have so severe symptoms as I have, this really scares me if im able to recover.

• Moderator Emeritus

But they DID recover.

Many people think that their case is severe or the worst.

Instead of thinking that way, it is better to think of it as being "bad at this time".  That is an objective way of viewing it rather than an emotional way and will be less stressful and aid your recovery.

19 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

But they DID recover.

Many people think that their case is severe or the worst.

Instead of thinking that way, it is better to think of it as being "bad at this time".  That is an objective way of viewing it rather than an emotional way and will be less stressful and aid your recovery.

I feel like this is an obsession to me as well, not an hour a day goes by that I dont think about my condition, this surely doesnt help me either. 

I also have a habit of believing that the worse will happen, this sort of doom-thinking. This got worse when a guy with similliar symptoms on PSSDforum  said to me basically that there is no hope. I think I might have seen him or at least a dude with a same username here as well.