lfran: withdrawal from Zoloft, continuing to fight

lfran

Hi all, I'm new and needing assistance. I was on antidepressants/stimulants for years and have managed to quit the stimulants, but am living through the hell of withdrawal from my SSRI, Zoloft after tapering too fast as you'll see below. This nightmare started in late May of 2020. I have some physical symptoms besides extreme fatigue, and the withdrawal itself is extreme anxiety, panic, depression, brain fog, confusion, poor memory... most of what is on the list of typical symptoms, and what I have come to understand is OCD. The crushing, breathless feeling of just having to get by minute to minute is like nothing I have ever experienced before. After reinstating Zoloft 12.5 mg in July, I seemed to stabilize a little bit after a few months, and withdrawal symptoms are just slightly better although the OCD is not budging. 

I need help/advice with moving forward with a taper. Right now I am not sure if I should wait a while and stabilize further since I just tried to stop the 12.5mg cold turkey less than two weeks ago and realized after 3 days it was a bad idea (although it did lead me to this site). I have been back on the 12.5mg Zoloft for a week. I was able to get liquid sertraline (Zoloft) from my doctor but I am unsure how to do the dosing. What I mean is, I recognize that I should reduce by 10% every 4 weeks, but I am unsure of how to dose this out from the liquid.

I would really appreciate some help with this and advice on how long I should wait until trying to reduce.

• On meds since 2004. Previous medications: Adderall, Ritalin XR, Concerta, Adderall XR, Prozac, Effexor, Lexapro, Abilify.
  • March 2020 tapered off 100mg Zoloft by taking 50 mg every other day, then every 2nd day, then every 3rd day. March 2020 tapered Trazodone from 50mg to 25mg. April 2020 quit Vyvanse cold turkey
  • Stopped Zoloft completely by May of 2020
  • May 22, 2020 withdrawal nightmare set in; OCD symptoms
  • Mid July 2020 reinstated 12.5mg Zoloft
  • August 2020 began TMS treatments and reinstated Trazodone 100mg
  • September 2020 reduced Trazodone down to 50-75mg 
  • Between September- November 2020 tried twice unsuccessfully to quit Zoloft cold turkey
  • 11/12/20- 12.5mg Zoloft, 75mg Trazodone
  • 5/30/21- 5mg Zoloft, 15mg Trazodone
  • 7/2/21- 3mg Zoloft, 0mg Trazodone (both done with taper) 
  • 1/2/22- .05mg Zoloft (with taper over last 6 months)
  • December 2020- present - Neurofeedback 

Hi Ifran and welcome aboard,

Thank you for getting your signature done.

Sometimes slightly better is good. 

So you did a Vyvanse CT in April.  Did every other day dosing with Zoloft and then off of Zoloft in May.  Went down and up with Trazodone since March.

Added in some TMS treatments.

Tried 3 days off Zoloft recently.

And now are on 12.5 mg Zoloft and 75 mg Trazodone.

That's a lot of changes. 

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur. And sleep is really important during withdrawal. 

The rule of 3KIS:Keep it simple, slow, and stable

and extracted from ^:

Do not suddenly quit taking your drugs. Do not skip doses to taper. These big, fast changes are the opposite of providing stability for your nervous system. Skipping doses causes the amount of the drug in your bloodstream to go up and down. Do not do this for any psychiatric drug.  See this graph which compares skipping days vs daily dosing.

On 11/12/2020 at 1:17 PM, lfran said:

I need help/advice with moving forward with a taper. Right now I am not sure if I should wait a while and stabilize further since I just tried to stop the 12.5mg cold turkey less than two weeks ago and realized after 3 days it was a bad idea (although it did lead me to this site). I have been back on the 12.5mg Zoloft for a week. I was able to get liquid sertraline (Zoloft) from my doctor but I am unsure how to do the dosing. What I mean is, I recognize that I should reduce by 10% every 4 weeks, but I am unsure of how to dose this out from the liquid.

I would really appreciate some help with this and advice on how long I should wait until trying to reduce.

Yes, it may be best to stabilize now, before attempting to taper again.  Give your nervous system a chance for some recovery and consistency.   6 months might be a good time frame, before tapering again.

Tips for tapering off Zoloft(sertraline)

you'll see about 1/2 down in ^ link, that once you measure your dose of Zoloft, then it has to be further diluted.  I'll extract that section:

Use Zoloft liquid concentrate to taper
http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?id=52077:

Zoloft oral concentrate is available in a multidose 60 mL bottle. Each mL of solution contains sertraline hydrochloride equivalent to 20 mg of sertraline. The solution contains the following inactive ingredients: glycerin, alcohol (12%), menthol, butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT).

From http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a697048.html

Sertraline concentrate must be diluted before use. Immediately before taking it, use the provided dropper to remove the amount of concentrate your doctor has told you to take. Mix the concentrate with 4 ounces (1/2 cup [120 milliliters]) of water, ginger ale, lemon or lime soda, lemonade, or orange juice. Do not mix the concentrate with any liquids other than the ones listed. Drink immediately.

US order code for Zoloft 20mg/ml Concentrate Solution NDC 000494940

Unlike other oral liquid antidepressant preparations, Zoloft liquid should be mixed with water because if it is taken directly from the bottle, it is likely to cause a burning sensation in the mouth.

As it is in a 20mg per mL concentration, this means using an oral syringe to measure out the proper amount. If you wish to take 50mg, you would take 2.5mL from the bottle, drop it in a small glass of water, etc., and drink it all.

If you are taking 50mg and wish to reduce by 10% (5mg), you would take 2.25mL (45mg) from the bottle, drop it in a small glass of water, etc., and drink it all.

Personally, I would use water rather than fruit juice or soda so I can see what's left in the glass. I might even drink the mixture, fill the glass again, swirl it a bit, and drink that to make sure to get all the Zoloft out of the glass.

If you are using the 20 mg/ml concentrate, then 12.5 mg would be 0.625 mL(millileter).  You'll do best, using a 1 mL oral syringe to measure your dose prior to any further dilution. 

Using an oral syringe and other tapering topics

you'll see an image of a 1 mL syringe, in the 2nd or 3rd post ^

When do you take your Zoloft each day?

When do you take your Trazodone?

On 11/12/2020 at 1:17 PM, lfran said:

The crushing, breathless feeling of just having to get by minute to minute is like nothing I have ever experienced before. After reinstating Zoloft 12.5 mg in July, I seemed to stabilize a little bit after a few months, and withdrawal symptoms are just slightly better although the OCD is not budging. 

And oh my, yes, I'm glad WD(withdrawal) symptoms have abated a bit, even if just a little.

Dr. Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

What is withdrawal syndrome?

And I'm going to add one more link, I think you will like, and it may help you with ideas for non-drug coping too:

Obsessive compulsive disorder or OCD: Repetitive intrusive thoughts, compulsive behaviors

Welcome aboard again Ifran.  I hope I covered most of your questions. 

This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions here regarding your tapering, give updates, and just keep a record of your journey.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

moderator manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays
links, and added a bit more

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider. manymoretodays

I take the sertraline in the morning and the trazodone at night. I am so appreciative of all your help. Thank you. 

• On meds since 2004. Previous medications: Adderall, Ritalin XR, Concerta, Adderall XR, Prozac, Effexor, Lexapro, Abilify.
  • March 2020 tapered off 100mg Zoloft by taking 50 mg every other day, then every 2nd day, then every 3rd day. March 2020 tapered Trazodone from 50mg to 25mg. April 2020 quit Vyvanse cold turkey
  • Between September- November 2020 tried twice unsuccessfully to quit Zoloft cold turkey
  • 9 months later...

As I start to move below 1mg in my taper, I’m finding it difficult to be exact with the measurements using the 1.0mL syringe I have. The liquid I am using is a 20mg/mL liquid sertraline from the pharmacy; .05mL is 1mg- as you can see it makes going down to .9mg a challenge. Is there a way I can mix this liquid with water to create a less concentrated mixture (I realize I would need to shake before use as the medication settles) in order to make going down to lower amounts more feasible? I apologize if there is already a post about this, I wasn’t able to find it. 

I moved your last post from the tapering directory to this thread. Please post your questions and comments only in this thread. We allow only one thread per member so that we have all information together then. Thank you!

1993    Anafranil (Clomipramine) for a few months. Later in 1993 Paxil for a few months 1993- 2006      No medication

2006   Effexor, Cymbalta, some Benzo’s. All for short periods. Later in 2006 Lexapro (escitalopram) 10 mg and shortly after Wellbutrin XR 150mg, against side effects Lexapro 

Since 2006 until end of 2015: Several times on and off Lexapro and Wellbutrin and several slight dosage changes. Mostly taken dosages: 5mg Lexapro and 150mg Wellbutrin

2016  Dosage change Lexapro from 5mg to 2,5 mg. Wellbutrin stayed om 150mg

November 2016 – April 2017 Down from 2,5mg to 0,6mg Lexapro (in steps) without much problems. Wellbutrin down from 150mg to 66mg. Also without much problems.

April 2017 – March 2019       Lexapro 0,6 mg        April 2017 - August 2018       Wellbutrin in small steps down from 66mg in to 37,5 mg . Quite heavy WD after each step.

March 2019 – May 2019 Lexapro down from 0,6 to 0,3mg then Prozac to 0,6 mg switch because severe discontinuation effects (may also have been from Wellbutrin..)    

Wellbutrin down from 37,5mg to 35,3mg 

October 2019        Seroquel 12,5 mg for 4 weeks because of extreme sleeping problems, then weaning off in 2 weeks       Prozac up dosage to 1,2 mg

March 2020     Wellbutrin in 2 steps down from 35,3mg to 33,3mg   Extreme withdrawal affects during 8 months. Stopped tapering Wellbutrin  until total off Prozac. February 2020 – November 2020   Prozac down in steps from 1,2mg to 0,57mg. 

Jan 2021 Prozac down to:  0,55> 0,53>0,51mg,   Feb 0,47mg ,  Mar 0,42mg,   Apr 0,37, longer hold because of WD symptoms July 0,36 and hold again, Sept 19 0,35, Sept 26 0,34mg, Oct 3 0,33mg  

Supplements: Fish Oil (3000mg), Magnesium 100 mg, 2 drops of Lavender Oil when feeling anxiety. 50mg of L-Theanine when severe discontinuation effects caused by Wellbutrin

Please note this is NOT a medical advice. Discuss all your medical issues with a doctor who understands psychical drugs and really knows how to withdraw from them. I wish that you will find one.

The liquid (oral concentrate) form of sertraline must be diluted before you take it. To be sure you get the correct dose, measure the liquid with the medicine dropper provided. Mix the dose with 4 ounces (one-half cup) of water, ginger ale, lemon/lime soda, lemonade, or orange juice. Do not use any other liquids to dilute the medicine. Stir this mixture and drink all of it right away. To make sure you get the entire dose, add a little more water to the same glass, swirl gently and drink right away.

Source: https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/d00880a1

As far as I understand it SHOULD be diluted and not be taken pure! So the answer to your question is: Yes it can (SHOULD) be diluted!

1993    Anafranil (Clomipramine) for a few months. Later in 1993 Paxil for a few months 1993- 2006      No medication

2006   Effexor, Cymbalta, some Benzo’s. All for short periods. Later in 2006 Lexapro (escitalopram) 10 mg and shortly after Wellbutrin XR 150mg, against side effects Lexapro 

Since 2006 until end of 2015: Several times on and off Lexapro and Wellbutrin and several slight dosage changes. Mostly taken dosages: 5mg Lexapro and 150mg Wellbutrin

November 2016 – April 2017 Down from 2,5mg to 0,6mg Lexapro (in steps) without much problems. Wellbutrin down from 150mg to 66mg. Also without much problems.

April 2017 – March 2019       Lexapro 0,6 mg        April 2017 - August 2018       Wellbutrin in small steps down from 66mg in to 37,5 mg . Quite heavy WD after each step.

March 2019 – May 2019 Lexapro down from 0,6 to 0,3mg then Prozac to 0,6 mg switch because severe discontinuation effects (may also have been from Wellbutrin..)    

October 2019        Seroquel 12,5 mg for 4 weeks because of extreme sleeping problems, then weaning off in 2 weeks       Prozac up dosage to 1,2 mg

March 2020     Wellbutrin in 2 steps down from 35,3mg to 33,3mg   Extreme withdrawal affects during 8 months. Stopped tapering Wellbutrin  until total off Prozac. February 2020 – November 2020   Prozac down in steps from 1,2mg to 0,57mg. 

Jan 2021 Prozac down to:  0,55> 0,53>0,51mg,   Feb 0,47mg ,  Mar 0,42mg,   Apr 0,37, longer hold because of WD symptoms July 0,36 and hold again, Sept 19 0,35, Sept 26 0,34mg, Oct 3 0,33mg  

Supplements: Fish Oil (3000mg), Magnesium 100 mg, 2 drops of Lavender Oil when feeling anxiety. 50mg of L-Theanine when severe discontinuation effects caused by Wellbutrin

Please note this is NOT a medical advice. Discuss all your medical issues with a doctor who understands psychical drugs and really knows how to withdraw from them. I wish that you will find one.

23 hours ago, Go2zero said:

The liquid (oral concentrate) form of sertraline must be diluted before you take it. To be sure you get the correct dose, measure the liquid with the medicine dropper provided. Mix the dose with 4 ounces (one-half cup) of water, ginger ale, lemon/lime soda, lemonade, or orange juice. Do not use any other liquids to dilute the medicine. Stir this mixture and drink all of it right away. To make sure you get the entire dose, add a little more water to the same glass, swirl gently and drink right away.

Source: https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/d00880a1

As far as I understand it SHOULD be diluted and not be taken pure! So the answer to your question is: Yes it can (SHOULD) be diluted!

Yes… I always dilute my dose- once it’s measured I always mix it with water. I think you misunderstood… my question is, can I dilute all of my medication so that rather than .05mL equaling 1mg, 1mL (or more) equals 1mg? This would make measuring easier and more exact. I’m thinking this could be done by mixing it all with water, I just don’t know how much. 

@Go2zerothe problem with having this under my thread is that no one is going to see it… I’m on day three of having inaccurate dosage measurements and so this is pretty urgent to me. How can I get someone to take a look at this post? I’ve scoured the forums and spoken with two pharmacists, no help so far… Suggestions for getting quicker answers are welcome. 

@brassmonkey can you help me with this? Not sure if you have any experience with diluting liquid medications…

57 minutes ago, lfran said:

@Go2zerothe problem with having this under my thread is that no one is going to see it… I’m on day three of having inaccurate dosage measurements and so this is pretty urgent to me. How can I get someone to take a look at this post? I’ve scoured the forums and spoken with two pharmacists, no help so far… Suggestions for getting quicker answers are welcome. 

It seems you have found a solution for getting attention for your questions ;)

Brassmonkey will surely be able to advice you  Maybe me too, but your question i still not fully clear to me. Do you mean you want to add water to the bottle with the liquid med itself? If you would do so, I guess this may have a negative influence on the shelf life....

All the moderators try to look over any new posts as they appear, but sometimes a question will get lost in the mix. If something is urgent then using the @ sign like you did above is the best way to flag a moderator. It does take us time to get back to people but we try to be as quick as possible.

Questions about diluting a liquid can be very easy to misunderstand, especially if that liquid needs to be diluted after measurement and before taking. Luckily this is pretty straight forward.

From your earlier posts you appear to be using a commercial liquid that has a strength of 20mg/mL. I can see how that would be a problem with trying to measure the smaller doses. According to the manufacturer the dose must be diluted after measuring and before taking. This can be done with a variety of other liquids. Water is going to be the easiest and safest one to work with.

You can prepare a 1:1 (1mg active ingredient to mL of liquid) by measuring mL of the liquid medication and adding it to 19mL of water. This will give a total of 20mL of liquid that contain 20mgai. That reduces down to a 1:1 ration. To get a dose of 0.9mg you would measure out 0.9mL of the liquid.

The diluted liquid can only be kept for 4-5 days before it should be thrown away. I would suggest using 0.25mL of liquid medication mixed with 5mL of water. This will give the same strength and waste a lot less medication.

Edited by brassmonkey

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

@Go2zero @brassmonkeyYes, I finally got a call back from a pharmacist who said the same thing about mixing it with water- that it would reduce shelf life to 4-5 days. I figure I could just mix a little at a time as you said brassmonkey- thanks so much for the detailed breakdown. Do you happen to know if using an over the counter suspension liquid would help it to keep longer? 
Thank you both for your responses… I was definitely in a bit of a panic. The “no one gives a sh*t about you” voice has been very strong in my head, and very convincing. Thanks, too for the information about how you respond to users’ posts, that will definitely ease my mind in the future. I’m beyond thankful for the support. 

Using a suspension liquid might add a couple of days to the time, but most home diluted liquids tend to spoil quickly. So it wouldn't be worth the added expense.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 3 months later...

@brassmonkey when I look at the ratios you gave, 19mL of water to 1mL of medication and 5mL water to .25mL of medication it doesn’t quite match up. Wouldn’t it be 4.75mL of water to .25mL of medication? I want to be extra sure before I start messing with my dosages. Thanks.