Kikijade: Zoloft, can I get pregnant whilst tapering

Kikijade

Hello!

I'm hopeful that this is the correct area to write an initial post!  I'm Kikijade and believe to be kindled from Zoloft.  I also hope that my signature has worked and that everyone can see my history.  I think I'll just wait to hear back on this one then write in the correct forum!  This looks like such a wonderful resource but there are so many different forums and I'm not really sure where to start!

Thanks so much 

x

Edited by Gridley

2008: Started 50mg Zoloft for anxiety & panic

2010: Tapered to 25mg for 6 months then off

2011: Back onto 50mg Zoloft for 2nd time. 

2013: Tapered to 25mg for a year - back to 50mg for 6 months - back to 25mg for 6 months then off. 

2016: Back onto 50 mg Zoloft for 3rd time. Went from 50mg - 75mg - 100mg. 

2018: Started slow taper but stopped at 50mg and sat on that for 18 months (**tapered at 5% every 2-4 weeks as suggested by FB group "Zoloft should be illegal"**)

Aug 2020: Slow tapering (as above, 5% every 2-4 weeks) for 3 months

Nov 2020: Currently at 36mg (haven't tapered for 6 weeks)

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Kikijade.  This is the correct place for your Introduction post and this is where you should post in the future.  Your signature shows up fine.  Please use the following link to add to your signature the rate of your slow tapers in 2018 and August, 2020.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

I'm going to give you some basic links that will let you familiarize yourself with our protocols and give you a place to start.  First, we recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your current dose every four months.  Most doctors taper their patients much too fast.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This link is specifically about tapering Zoloft, including how to get the nonstandard doses you'll need for a 10% taper.

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

Doctors don't believe in significant withdrawal.  Our experience has been the opposite.  

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Grindley 

Thank you so much for your response on this and I'm sorry it's taken a while to get back to you!  I added to my signature at your request. I'd been tapering at 5% every 2-4 weeks as recommended a few years back by the FB support group "Zoloft should be illegal"

I really appreciate the links & advice you've sent over. I've been quietly following this group for a long while just not actually engaging until now. 

I feel like I could write a book here, about my back story, but I ultimately have some questions and need advice around becoming pregnant whilst on these nasty drugs. I absolutely understand this is not particularly advised and can be very dangerous but I need some real-time advice because I'm going out of my mind in fear of never being able to grow my family (I have one daughter who's nearly 6 and post breastfeeding, when she was 14 months, I started experiencing extreme anxiety & panic attacks again, then started taking sertralone again and my health & life haven't been the same since!) this drug has taken so so much from me and I don't know if I'll ever he well enough to be able to have a second child but I'm so desperate for the opportunity. I feel so guilty like it's all my fault and that my daughter suffers being an only child, and it's never what I wanted for myself. I wanted to be a mother of 10!!. I could go on & on & on. 

Bottom line is I am 38 in April and my time is running out. I had my daughter at 31 then my health went to crap at 32.5 and I just get closer and closer to the clocking ticking it's final tick. It breaks my heart and completely consumes me. 

I am currently on 36mg, down from 100mg from slow taper. 

I would love to know how people have got on having babies whilst tapering. Well certainly being pregnant, say at 25mg and continuing to taper down. What about breastfeeding whilst taking these drugs?

If I wait until I've finished tapering god knows how old I'll be when my taper is up, depending on how frequently I have to hold as it gets lower. I could be years away from 0 and then my time is over!!! I can't bear it!!

Please help and let me know if I should post this in another space where it gets maximum people seeing it. 

Thank you so much for reading x

2013: Tapered to 25mg for a year - back to 50mg for 6 months - back to 25mg for 6 months then off. 

2018: Started slow taper but stopped at 50mg and sat on that for 18 months (**tapered at 5% every 2-4 weeks as suggested by FB group "Zoloft should be illegal"**)

Hiya, please could you also kindly change my topic to kikijade: Zoloft, can I get pregnant whilst tapering? 

I don't think there's a way I can edit my own topic? 

Thank you so much x

• Moderator Emeritus

@Kikijade

We don't have any specific answers on pregnancy while on AD's, but we have several threads, one of which is below.  I suggest you Google SurvivingAntidepressants.org pregnancy  What I'd do is read through these threads.  If one of the members is someone you want to follow up with about her experience and knowledge, you could tag her here in your Introduction topic, with @her username.  When the rectangle appears click on it, then write your message.  You will get the best exposure right here in your Introduction topic.  You'll have better luck with members who've posted somewhat recently; if someone hasn't posted in a while, i's likely they're not checking in.

Antidepressants / withdrawal during pregnancy - Symptoms ...

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.