SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

DanielN: PSSD recovery

DanielN

Hi there, I’m new to this site.  But I wanted to share something regarding PSSD with you all.  In 2007 I was out into Prozac for panic disorder and remained to the drug for 12 months.  I experienced PSSD for roughly 4 years until things started to change and I started to notice some really strong “windows” where my sex life has come back in a very strong way.  In fact, in mid-2013 I likely had one of the most intense orgasms I’d ever had in my life, even prior to taking Prozac.  Gradually the windows stayed open longer... until I ended up again on antidepressant medication due to a return of the panic disorder.  This time I was put on Zoloft.  I just completed my taper as of a few days ago and have been experiencing some pretty intense brain zaps 😬, and while my sexual functioning was impaired while on Zoloft, I am anticipating another bout of PSSD.  But the point is that, at least in my experience, PSSD gradually went away.  It took ~4 years for me, and never fully sustained the open window, but it got A LOT better vs the low point.  I’ve got a bunch of stories about all the experiments done on me and doctors I saw when I went through PSSD the first time... maybe if you’re interested :). But fir now just know that not everything you read about PSSD is true.  Recovery is possible, but at least in my experience, it took a long time.

• ChessieCat changed the title to DanielN: PSSD recovery
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi DanielN,

And welcome aboard.  Thank you so much for the the sharing of your success, to date, with the PSSD symptoms.

Please summarize your withdrawal history in your signature

And how did you do your Zoloft taper?

Any WD(withdrawal) symptoms right now?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Best, L, P, H, and G,

moderator manymoretodays

Edited by manymoretodays
?'s and link

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2020 at 7:27 AM, DanielN said:

Hi there, I’m new to this site.  But I wanted to share something regarding PSSD with you all.  In 2007 I was out into Prozac for panic disorder and remained to the drug for 12 months.  I experienced PSSD for roughly 4 years until things started to change and I started to notice some really strong “windows” where my sex life has come back in a very strong way.  In fact, in mid-2013 I likely had one of the most intense orgasms I’d ever had in my life, even prior to taking Prozac.  Gradually the windows stayed open longer... until I ended up again on antidepressant medication due to a return of the panic disorder.  This time I was put on Zoloft.  I just completed my taper as of a few days ago and have been experiencing some pretty intense brain zaps 😬, and while my sexual functioning was impaired while on Zoloft, I am anticipating another bout of PSSD.  But the point is that, at least in my experience, PSSD gradually went away.  It took ~4 years for me, and never fully sustained the open window, but it got A LOT better vs the low point.  I’ve got a bunch of stories about all the experiments done on me and doctors I saw when I went through PSSD the first time... maybe if you’re interested :). But fir now just know that not everything you read about PSSD is true.  Recovery is possible, but at least in my experience, it took a long time.

Hi DanielN,

Thank you very much for sharing your story.  In terms of the PSSD you said you started having strong windows about 4 years after coming off the Prozac.  Before that 4 year point, had you had any sort of improvements - even small ones?

I would also be interested to here about what you said about 'experiments done on me and doctors I saw when I went through PSSD the first time'. 

Thanks,

1Day

Escitalopram for anxiety (dates below are approximate).

Oct 09 - Apr 10, 20mg (tapered off over about 6 weeks). 

Jun 10 - Feb 11, 20mg (tapered off over about 6 weeks). 

Jun 11 - Aug 12, 20mg (started to taper off but failed). 

Oct 12 - Dec 13, 20mg.  Dec 13 - Apr 14, 10mg.  Apr 14 - Nov 14, 5mg. 

Nov 14 - Jan 16, 20mg.  Jan 16 - Aug 16, 10mg.  Aug 16 - Dec 16, 10mg every other day.  Dec 16 - Jan 17 5mg every third day.  Jan 17 - took last tablet.

Thanks for sharing your story Daniel, this symptom worries me a lot and I know that it can take many years for it to go but I’m glad to know that it’s indeed possible! 

I was wondering do you think you’ll have reached full recovery (aka reach “the window that never closes”) have you not been put on ADs again? 
thank you so much for sharing again! Wishing you the best in your recovery!

•august 2016- feb 2019: on and off SSRIs (fluoxetine and agomelatine) also unknown drug and clonazepam for a short amount of time 

•January 25 2020: 50mg of setraline and clonazepam 1mg 

•March 2020: increase to 100mg of setraline

•May 2020:  stopped setraline, fast tapper 3 weeks. stopped clonazepam, according to how my psychiatrists told me. 

On 11/14/2020 at 9:27 AM, DanielN said:

Hi Daniel and thank you for your story. 

What kind and how severe symptoms did you experience after you quit the drugs? 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing your journey to date. I took my last antidepressant just over 4 years ago and although the severity of my PSSD symptoms fluctuate, ‘normal’ still feels a long way off and I often wonder if I will ever heal. So this gives me hope :) 

Sertaline (Zoloft)

25mg increased to 50mg after 2-3 weeks 

Mid Oct 2016 - Mid Dec 2016 

I also took Propranalol as and when/on and off from 2012 to 2016