SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

What happens to sexual development in adolescents who’ve grown up on psych meds? (and how these drugs impede normal bonding in ALL people)

GiaK

This post includes two videos and I don't know how to transfer them here, so I'll just post the opening paragraph and then you can go to the site:

http://beyondmeds.com/2012/06/05/psychmedbonding/

What happens to sexual development in adolescents who’ve grown up on psych meds? (and how these drugs impede normal bonding in ALL people)

I’ve posted some variation of this post more than once now. I felt moved to post it again since I had a conversation with a journalist friend who is thinking about this issue too. My last paragraph in this piece speculated about what antidepressants do to pre-pubescent and adolescent kids. What happens when the normal drive for sex and orgasm and romantic love is muted or altogether absent because the kids are on SSRI or SNRI antidepressants (and/or other psych drugs)? My friend talked with an adolescent counselor and she’s noticed that these kids are strangely uninterested in romantic love and sometimes even appear to be asexual. That is ALARMING and it’s right in line with what my speculative fears suggested. I don’t have much more to say about the topic but would like to raise the issue that more people may start to think about this very serious problem that effects a far too large percentage of our young population....

read the rest and view the videos here:

http://beyondmeds.com/2012/06/05/psychmedbonding/

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Moderator Emeritus

This emotional deadening phenomenon has concerned me for quite a while. I experienced it on Lexapro and it was scary, being aware that I should be reacting emotionally to a situation but was not.

With 11% of Americans on an antidepressant (and correct me if I'm wrong, I believe this figure only applies to adults), that makes an enormous number of people numb to what is going on around them, which in turn may explain why a lot of people don't seem to be concerned with our money-guzzling government and its failure to address the economic crisis, corporate executive lies and thievery that go unpunished, contaminents in the food supply, Peak Oil, et cetera. And of course, that 11% doesn't include benzos, antipsychotics, alcohol, or street drugs. There are a lot of adults in our country doing important work and voting who are essentially stupified.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

This is absolutely the WORST part of my whole experience on psych meds. I could live with having lost 20 years of my life and the way I was almost continually miserable, suffering, in pain and suicidal during that time. I can live with having absolutely no savings at all and nothing to retire on, no financial security whatsoever for my old age.

But you cannot imagine how I suffer daily from the loss of my connection with my children, my babies, beginning when my youngest was 2 years old and I was started on Prozac. I can't tell you the emotional agony this costs me every day. And now that I'm coming out of the fog, to see the struggles that they themselves, now young women, experience in their lives and their relationships, that perhaps could have been spared them, all the ways I could have supported them while I was struggling just to stay alive daily.

Don't get me wrong, I loved them, and I did my best. It's not that I'm kicking myself. I didn't know, and I know I tried, and they love me.

But there is a grief inside me that I can't describe. It felt like I longed to touch them but just couldn't, reaching through an impenetrable fog, reaching for them all the time. It's a massive grief, so far beyond describing. You can't redo a childhood.

I'm trying, but there aren't words. But this alone, this is the worst part.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

But there is a grief inside me that I can't describe. It felt like I longed to touch them but just couldn't, reaching through an impenetrable fog, reaching for them all the time. It's a massive grief, so far beyond describing. You can't redo a childhood.

This really gets to me, and every time I think about having children I'm glad that I made the decision to try to live without the meds. My mom was on them for my entire life and I often wonder how that affected our relationship. Well put.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy