SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Taper11: Sizodon / risperidone want to taper

Taper11

Hello everyone,

I have been diagnosed with Schizophrenia after a self injury episode.

Currently on AP 4mg Sizodon (risperidone) at night with 50mg Chlorpromizine (Thorazine / Largactil). I have lots of side effects like tiredness, sleep only for 6 hours, feel weak and shaky all the time.

Morning and afternoon I have to take (2x day) 1 tablet Parkin (trihexyphenidyl hydrochloride).

It's been 4 months since am on medication. I want to taper off medicines. That's the reason why I joined this forum.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by ChessieCat
added alternate drug names

August 2020: Currently on AP 4mg Sizodon (risperidone) at night with 50mg Chlorpromizine (Thorazine / Largactil). I have lots of side effects like tiredness, sleep only for 6 hours, feel weak and shaky all the time.

Morning and afternoon I have to take (2x day) 1 tablet Parkin (trihexyphenidyl hydrochloride)

• ChessieCat changed the title to Taper11: Sizodon / risperidone want to taper
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Taper11.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

We recommend tapering only one drug at a time.  Otherwise, if problems arise, you won't know the cause.  We also recommend tapering the more activating drug (known as an accelerator) or a neutral drug first, leaving the sedating drug (known as a brake) in place to help sleep to be tapered later.

Thorazine is a sedating brake, while Risperdal is more neutral.  

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Therefore, unless other factors are involved, Risperdal would be the drug to taper first.

The following link is specifically about tapering Risperdal, including how to get the nonstandard doses needed for a 10% taper.  Please read the link carefully.

Tips for tapering off risperidone (Risperdal)

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Please someone reply.

August 2020: Currently on AP 4mg Sizodon (risperidone) at night with 50mg Chlorpromizine (Thorazine / Largactil). I have lots of side effects like tiredness, sleep only for 6 hours, feel weak and shaky all the time.

Morning and afternoon I have to take (2x day) 1 tablet Parkin (trihexyphenidyl hydrochloride)

• Moderator Emeritus
20 hours ago, Taper11 said:

Please someone reply.

I've tried to give you the information you need to taper.  Do you have a question?

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/19/2020 at 6:58 PM, Taper11 said:

(2x day) 1 tablet Parkin (trihexyphenidyl hydrochloride).

Thank you for creating your drug signature.

Please include the Parkin.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

How do I taper, please reply.

• Moderator Emeritus

Gridley has already provided you with this information:

On 11/20/2020 at 10:20 AM, Gridley said:

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.

We recommend tapering only one drug at a time.  Otherwise, if problems arise, you won't know the cause.  We also recommend tapering the more activating drug (known as an accelerator) or a neutral drug first, leaving the sedating drug (known as a brake) in place to help sleep to be tapered later.

Thorazine is a sedating brake, while Risperdal is more neutral.  

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Therefore, unless other factors are involved, Risperdal would be the drug to taper first.

The following link is specifically about tapering Risperdal, including how to get the nonstandard doses needed for a 10% taper.  Please read the link carefully.

Q:  Have you looked at the links he gave you?

After you have looked at the links, please ask specific questions here in your Introduction topic.

Edited by ChessieCat

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I have read. I am going to first taper sizodon and then parkin and finally chlorpromizine.

Am really afraid and scared. What if I relapse.

• Administrator

Hello, Taper11.

It's up to you to whether you want to reduce your drugs. It could be your symptoms, such as they are, are controlled by minimal doses. A very gradual taper can help you find a level that works for you. However, under any circumstances, you will need to stay calm and manage any symptoms that come up, whether they are withdrawal symptoms or "relapse".

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

This is what am really afraid of. I am ready to taper but am afraid I'll face withdrawal or relapse. I am somehow able to manage sleep with Chlorpromizine. I can sleep from 10pm to 6am. I don't want my sleep to be affected by tapering.

Will there be withdrawal symptoms once I start going on taper i.e. slowly reducing the course of medication.

Any help is appreciated. Please can anyone tell me if they faced problems during taper. What are the negative effects you faced. I am struggling here.

• Moderator Emeritus

On 8/6/2011 at 6:43 AM, Altostrata said:

The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs. While it is not a guarantee you will have trouble-free withdrawal, we believe this conservative tapering method will cause harm to the fewest number of people.

In a nutshell, the 10% taper method recommends a 10% dosage reduction every 4 weeks, with the 10% calculated on the last dosage. The amount of decrease is proportionate to the last dosage (not the original prescription) and keeps getting smaller. 

I am going to start tapering 10% from today. 

I am on Sizodon 4mg, Chlorpromazine 50mg and Parkin.

Wish me good luck. And also please advise anything that I need to know about avoiding withdrawal symptoms.

I am fearful of insomnia, restlessness, and negative thoughts.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Taper11, and welcome, @Taper11

I just got your most recent post moved back here to your Introduction.  Your Introduction page, is the best place to ask questions specific to your case, and to update us.

Which medication are you starting to taper from?  You had mentioned above, wanting to start with the risperidone(Sizodon) and so, I've got the link to tapering that one specifically, quoted below as well.

On 11/19/2020 at 12:58 AM, Taper11 said:

Currently on AP 4mg Sizodon (risperidone) at night with 50mg Chlorpromizine (Thorazine / Largactil). I have lots of side effects like tiredness, sleep only for 6 hours, feel weak and shaky all the time.

Morning and afternoon I have to take (2x day) 1 tablet Parkin (trihexyphenidyl hydrochloride).

It's been 4 months since am on medication. I want to taper off medicines. That's the reason why I joined this forum.

On 11/19/2020 at 4:20 PM, Gridley said:

The other link to get real familiar with is Why taper 10% of my dosage?  You'll see that in posts above this one.

54 minutes ago, Taper11 said:

Wish me good luck. And also please advise anything that I need to know about avoiding withdrawal symptoms.

I am fearful of insomnia, restlessness, and negative thoughts.

The best way to avoid or minimize WD(withdrawal) symptoms is a well planned taper.  When we talk about a taper of 10%, that means that you recalculate the 10% based on each previous dosage.  For example:  Risperidone 4 mg X .90(this is the number you multiply your current dose by for a 10% reduction) = 3.6 mg (this would be your first 10 % drop in dose).  And then generally, holding or staying at that dose for 4 weeks, before tapering again.  During that time, you'll need to pay attention, to see if you are having WD symptoms, and when they occur.  Most of us use non-drug coping for symptoms.  You'll see many in the Symptoms and Self care forum. 

I'll pull a couple good links from there now:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

My guess is that you are probably having some symptoms from your medications now.  And you'll see, just how you do with a 10% taper of risperidone, and then will be able to adapt the taper, as needed, as you continue.

What form of risperidone will you be working with?  You'll see in the link on tapering risperidone, the various ways you can measure and then taper the different forms.

And just ask right here Taper11, if you have further questions around your taper.  This, your introduction page, will be the best place to do that, as well as communicate with other members, moderators, and administrators.

Welcome aboard.

Best, Love, peace, healing, and growth,

moderator manymoretodays(mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

I am taking risperidone in the form of tablets. It's a tiny tablet and it's hard to break them to make a 10% taper. I don't want to take it in liquid form.

What do I do for insomnia and restlessness?

Am unable to bear it. Is this product any good?

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0846JYS62/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_wmKYFb3829GEZ

• Moderator Emeritus

melatonin-for-sleep

It would be better to take melatonin as a single supplement, not a complex.  If you react badly to it you will not know what is causing the reaction.  Many members find B vitamins to be activating, particularly B6 which is an ingredient in the product that you linked.

Please also note that it is better to take a small amount.  See Post #1 of the melatonin topic.

See also:

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable

Hello,

I wanted some information about chlorpromazine. I read that it is used on animals. I am feeling really sacred of it.

How do I taper chlorpromizine? It is used as a prescribed sleeping tablet. Please help.

• Moderator Emeritus
14 minutes ago, Taper11 said:

I wanted some information about chlorpromazine. I read that it is used on animals. I am feeling really sacred of it.

It's a drug which is taken by humans that can be used for animals too.  There are many drugs which are used for both humans and animals, including valium & clomipramine (my dog was given both of these), mirtazapine, gabapentin.

On 11/20/2020 at 10:20 AM, Gridley said:

We recommend tapering only one drug at a time.

SA recommends tapering by no more than 10% of the current dose followed by a hold of about 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug. 

We do not have a specific tips for tapering topic for chlorpromizine but I did a search and found this post to another member.

Altostrata, who made this post, is SA's founder:

On 10/10/2019 at 8:33 AM, Altostrata said:

Welcome, Anne.

It appears you went off 25mg chlorpromazine in May? 

While a low-dose reinstatement often helps, 25mg might now be too much for your nervous system, which has been sensitized by withdrawal syndrome. If I were you, I might try 1mg.

It's soluble in water, you could make your own suspension, see  

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques