MattM: tapering off Prozac

MattM

Hello,

It's comforting to find a community like this. I have recently begun tapering off Prozac and feel scared. I was taking 40mgs of prozac but have already reduced to 20 mgs (10mgs per week.) I am also taking 300mgs of Wellbutrin which I am not tapering off. 

The plan is to put me back on Lexapro as soon as I ween off Prozac but I am starting to consider just plain staying off SSRI's.

My major concern is the speed that my doctor has me tapering off. I am dropping 10 mgs a week and from reading this site i am realizing how fast this is. 

My plan is to tell my doctor I am more comfortable going down slowly. I think I will hold at 20 mgs for the time being, unless the withdrawl becomes too difficult in which case I would go back up.

I'd like to take this process as slow as I need to do it. I'd like to be compassionate with myself and take things easy. It's quite possible I will need medication and that's okay too, but I am willing to try this process slowly.

Actually, as I am writing this I am thinking about asking my doctor to go back up and take this process much more slowly. 

Anyway, thanks for listening. I will keep everyone updated.

Matt

• ChessieCat changed the title to Matt M: tapering off Prozac
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Matt and welcome to SA,

I'm really pleased that you've found us so early in the piece.

SA is a site for tapering/reducing psychiatric drugs.  We are happy to assist you with that, but the switch to Lexapro is your doctor's responsibility.

The fast taper off Prozac to start Lexapro is generally the way that the medical professionals do a bridge to a different drug.  Sometimes if it is going the opposite way then they might do a cold switch.  Prozac has a long half life and it sounds like your doctor is taking that into account to lessen the possibility of serotonin syndrome.

From Tips for tapering off fluoxetine (Prozac)

On 7/3/2011 at 4:11 AM, Altostrata said:

Prozac has the longest half-life of any SSRI. After you take it for a few days, half-life is about 16 days. Fluoxetine itself has a half-life of 2-4 days, but as it is processed, your body creates an active antidepressant metabolite, norfluoxetine, which has a half-life of 7-15 days. So Prozac keeps on extending its half-life as it is metabolized.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoxetine , fluoxetine and norfluoxetine inhibit each other's metabolism, extending the half-life of the drug. Because the half-lives are so long, the full effect of Prozac on the brain may not be felt for several weeks.

fluoxetine (1-6 days) ---> norfluoxetine (up to 16 days) ---> other metabolites

I will point out to you that Lexapro is a very strong drug and we have members here who are having difficulties getting off it.

From Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

On 5/27/2011 at 12:16 PM, Altostrata said:

If you are taking 5mg of Lexapro, it's not tiny, it's equivalent to 10-20mg Paxil or Celexa.

You might also check this equivalency list:  dose-equivalents-equivalency-for-antidepressants-and-second-generation-antipsychotics

SA recommends tapering at no more than 10% of the current dose followed by a hold out about 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  If the drug is removed to quickly we can experience withdrawal symptoms.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

It will depend on how bad your withdrawal symptoms are whether a small updose is needed.  If they are bearable it is usually better to hold on the current dose until you reach withdrawal normal.

Stability

WDnormal

With regards to updosing, if you decide to do that it is better to increase by a small amount than risk taking too much, because it can sometimes make things worse.  With other shorter half life ADs it takes about 4 days for the dose to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  However as previously mentioned Prozac is different so if you made an increase you would need to wait for at least 2 weeks to see how it has affected your symptoms.

Please read Post #1 of this topic much of which related to updosing as well:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

If the symptoms are unbearable and you do decide to updose you might find that 5mg is enough.   See the link to the tips for tapering Prozac for how to get your doses.

This is your own Introduction topic which is the best place to ask questions about your own situation and to journal your progress.

And a message from SA's founder (there is a link to a recent interview with her in my signature):

On 11/7/2020 at 8:23 AM, Altostrata said:

One of the things that's very important to each person here is knowing that healing is possible. Please don't just go away when you feel better! "Pay it forward" by updating your Intro topic with your progress

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
31 minutes ago, MattM said:

I am also taking 300mgs of Wellbutrin which I am not tapering off. 

Just in case you decide to reduce this in the future, but please note only reduce one drug at a time:

Tips for tapering off buproprion (Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL)

Also, please create your drug signature by following the instructions here:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Edited by ChessieCat

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Update: 

Day 8 of my tapering off period. I am currently on 30 mgs (tapering down from 40mg). Am planning to take of 10mg per month unless feelings get too uncomfortable.

Rough night last night, but today I feel brighter mood-wise. Still a subtle increase in anxiety. My main symptom thus far has been a loss of appetite and abdominal cramps. Hoping these subside. Overall, mood is better.

Today I walked dog twice, played fetch with him in the sun, cooked for my girlfriend and attended my recovery support group. Plan to hit the Peloton later and a second meeting.

Matt

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  Are you planning on switching to Lexapro?

If no:

Q:  How long have you been taking Prozac?

As previously requested:

17 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Also, please create your drug signature by following the instructions here:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

• Altostrata changed the title to MattM: tapering off Prozac
  • Administrator

Hello, Matt.

The reason we advise decreases no faster than monthly is because it can take several weeks for withdrawal symptoms to appear. For Prozac, with its exceptionally long half-life, this can be even longer.

Are you getting withdrawal symptoms now? There's no reason to updose unless you are getting withdrawal symptoms. If your sleep is starting to break up, or if you are starting to get surges of anxiety, you may want to hold at your current dose for a while to let the changes settle down.

There's no reason to take an antidepressant with Wellbutrin, which is also an antidepressant. You might want to read up on your drugs on drugs.com.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

11/22 Update:

Today has been a better day. Anxiety has noticeably lessened. I started taking a magnesium supplement last night. Not sure if this has been a factor but it is supposed to help people who are in withdrawal who are magnesium deficient.  I am wondering if this is part of what made my alcohol hangovers so nightmarish. I know magnesium deficiency is common among alcohol abusers. I also have been taking fish oil (approximately 2 weeks) and Ashwaganda (3 weeks). On top of this, i have a quality support network, including recovery support groups who I communicate with regularly. One of the benefits of going off the meds is that normal emotions are starting to come back. They may not be comfortable, but they will lead to authenticity and healing, especially in relation to childhood trauma. Lastly, I consulted my doctor and will be going down by 5mgs a month rather than 10mgs a month. This comforts me and should be more manageable. 

I am still taking 300 mgs daily of Wellbutrin but will mostly likely try and detox off of this once I am off the Prozac. I am not as worried about Wellbutrin withdrawal. 

Today's log:

Went shopping in target, drove my girlfriend there and back.

Played guitar and bass

Did some work-related tasks

No caffeine thus far

• Moderator Emeritus
2 minutes ago, MattM said:

I am still taking 300 mgs daily of Wellbutrin but will mostly likely try and detox off of this once I am off the Prozac. I am not as worried about Wellbutrin withdrawal. 

Detox is an incorrect term for getting off psychiatric drugs.  Tapering is the term used when a person reduces their drug.  Cold turkey is when they stop the drug suddenly.

Hi Matt-- welcome to SA. Over the coming weeks and months you are going to find that ADWD is a complex and nuanced process. Because of this we have a specific lexicon to use when we refer to various techniques and processes. It keeps us all on the same page and makes explaining complex procedures a little easier.

It is not up to the individual member to dictate the manner in which they will be talked to, but rather a cooperative give and take of information during which the moderation staff and the rules of the site will direct things.  Displays of lack of cooperation or combativeness directed toward the moderation and mentoring staff are not allowed and will be meant with warning points.  When a member accumulates four (4) points  they are automatically banned and can never return.

So now that you understand, let's start fresh.

Hi Matt, welcome to SA. I see you have already received some very good information. If you would please follow the link ChessieCat provided above about creating a signature block so we can get to know your situation we can get started.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Dropping 25% from 40 to 30 is an aggressive start but you may be lucky enough to get away with it at the beginning.

Generally, it is recommended to drop no more than an average of 50% over a 6 month period.

Continuing to drop 5 mgs at a time from here on in may be problematic.

If your anxiety and abdominal issues are already acting up on only the 8th day of a prozac taper, you may find symptoms getting worse shortly in the future.

You also may want to give your brain time to adjust to the 3 supplements you have started as well.

As for the Wellbutrin, I had serious taper issues myself, so you need to take seriously how powerful these drugs are if you decide in the future to reduce that one as well. 

You also mention alcohol hangovers, please know that any other drug or alcohol use will complicate your withdrawal experience.

When making your signature line, please also add any other drug use in the past 6 months and the average amount of alcohol your consuming if still doing so.

If not, please add how long it had been since you stopped drinking and your average consumption before stopping.

All mind altering substances need to be accounted for in understanding your particular reactions to this process.

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs 8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6) Compound started 6/28/21: 0.24mgs, 8/29/21: 0.22mgs, 10/31/21: 0.20mgs, 1/03/22: 0.18mgs, 3/5/22: 0.16mgs, 5/5/22: 0.14mgs.

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/23/2020 at 2:28 PM, MattM said:

I also have been taking fish oil (approximately 2 weeks) and Ashwaganda (3 weeks).

SA's discussion topic: 

ashwagandha-herb-for-anxiety-stress-and-toxic-overload

Magnesium and omega 3 fish oil are the only supplements which SA recommends:

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

There are many discussion topics on this site.  Use a search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term to find them.

Edited by ChessieCat

9 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

Hi Matt-- welcome to SA. Over the coming weeks and months you are going to find that ADWD is a complex and nuanced process. Because of this we have a specific lexicon to use when we refer to various techniques and processes. It keeps us all on the same page and makes explaining complex procedures a little easier.

It is not up to the individual member to dictate the manner in which they will be talked to, but rather a cooperative give and take of information during which the moderation staff and the rules of the site will direct things.  Displays of lack of cooperation or combativeness directed toward the moderation and mentoring staff are not allowed and will be meant with warning points.  When a member accumulates four (4) points  they are automatically banned and can never return.

So now that you understand, let's start fresh.

Hi Matt, welcome to SA. I see you have already received some very good information. If you would please follow the link ChessieCat provided above about creating a signature block so we can get to know your situation we can get started.

This site is not for me. I have already asked for my account to be deleted. Wish you well, my friend. Hope you and the rest of the folks on here find quality recovery and happiness. 

We wish you a successful taper without too many issues.

I have, however, expressed my opinion to the rest of the staff that your profile remain public.

As a peer support site we do our best to extend assistance but that must be a two way street.

Potential members who display opinions that staff must conform to their wishes or refuse to provide information concerning all medications and drug use would lead to this website loosing it's ability to provide proper and responsible opinions. Potential members must realize the seriousness of their own situations and understand why its important to have the answers to what we ask.  If members conceal information that would affect our ability to give proper advice but they then do accept the advice we gave based on incomplete compliance and their situation deteriorates, the medical community then potentially uses that to downgrade our reputation as a viable website and an alternative to continued drug use and we look as to blame for your destabilization.

There is nothing that we have asked you to provide concerning your personal history that a conscientious  doctor should not also first be both asking and testing for prior to writing a prescription. Any drug, supplement and alcohol use should be taken into account and tested for  by a medical professional before proceeding into pharmacology. 

As Mentors and Moderators we have a Moral responsibility that most people do not reflect upon and I think we have a right to have that documented and shown that we realize that and do our best with that responsibility in mind. Almost all accounts remain accessible in perpetuity except for serious reasons so that others who come along may learn from others experiences. I do not believe your request meets the standard for removal and have provided my opinion of this to the rest of the staff.

I do hope everything goes well for you in the future and you find the answers you seek.

Best of luck to you going forward.

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs 8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6) Compound started 6/28/21: 0.24mgs, 8/29/21: 0.22mgs, 10/31/21: 0.20mgs, 1/03/22: 0.18mgs, 3/5/22: 0.16mgs, 5/5/22: 0.14mgs.

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, MattM said:

This site is not for me. I have already asked for my account to be deleted. Wish you well, my friend. Hope you and the rest of the folks on here find quality recovery and happiness. 

Hi MattM,

Rules and guidelines, from the Read This First forum, the first forum up, from the Home page.

- Each member must decide how much personal information to reveal in public postings. Generally, posts and accounts are not deleted.

It's a bit of time consuming work to delete posts and accounts for the administrators.

And so, another option, would be to, no longer post.  And then, your topic here, will eventually be further and further down in the que.

Do remember your user name and password, just in case you do have a change of mind.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
bolding

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator

Hello, @MattM. Good to see you reported feeling better on Sunday. Prior to Sunday, what was the last drug change you made? What are the dosages of the drugs you're taking now?

Often just suspending drug changes enables the nervous system to settle down.

Whether you call it detox or tapering (which is what we'd prefer), it's best to do it gradually. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.