TigerLily13: beginning my taper

TigerLily13

I was forced on to medications when I was hospitalized for postpartum depression and anxiety and I was put on some of apparently the worst medications to get off of. I am currently taking 75mg Effexor XR, 5mg 3x of Buspar, and 100mg of Trazadone. I am feeling incredibly anxious about about tapering. Right now my plan is to start tapering the Effexor first, then Buspar, then Trazadone. I am really having a hard time thinking about being on all these medications for so long to do a slow taper. Is it possible to taper multiple drugs at the same time? Does anyone have encouraging stories about getting off of these drugs? What are the rates of withdrawal symptoms doing the 10% method? How do you ultimately end the 10% method?

Edited by Gridley

October 2020 Put on Effexor 75mg, Buspar 5mg 3x, Trazadone 100mg

Working on preparing to taper

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, TigerLily13. I'm very glad you came here first before beginning your taper.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

We don't advise tapering multiple drugs at the same time.  If you do and problems arise, there's no way to know the cause.  I sympathize with your concern about being on these drugs for the time necessary for a slow, one-at-a-time taper.  I just finished a 4-year Lexapro taper and have two more drugs to go.  However, we have found that one-at-a-time is the safest, most effective way to taper polydrugs.

The order you plan to taper the drugs--Effexor first, Buspar next, then Trazodone--is what we would recommend.  We recommend tapering the more activating drugs, known as accelerators, first, leaving the more sedating drugs, known as brakes, in place to preserve sleep to be tapered laters. SNRI's like Effexor are accelerators.  Buspar and Trazodone are both brakes but Trazodone is more sedating.

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

As you know, re commend tapering by no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  There's no way to predict the amount of withdrawal symptoms using this method.  As the link explains, this is a median harm-reduction approach than will minimize withdrawal symptoms for the majority of people.  Some people can taper faster and some have to taper more slowly.  The link explains how you can, after an initial couple of months at 10%, try to go a bit faster to see if you can tolerate it.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This link is specifically about tapering Effexor and explains the method of removing beads to taper by 10%.

Tips for tapering off venlafaxine (Effexor)

2 hours ago, TigerLily13 said:

Does anyone have encouraging stories about getting off of these drugs?

Look at the stories in our Success Stories forum on our main page.  You can also Google SurvivingAntidepressants.org effexor success stories

2 hours ago, TigerLily13 said:

How do you ultimately end the 10% method?

With Effexor and bead counting, you'd likely get down to one bead, hold for several weeks, then jump to zero (stop).  With other drugs, we recommend getting down into the 0.00's (like 0.05mg or 0.025mg before jumping.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to TigerLily13: beginning my taper
  • 2 months later...

Titled:  Personality changes on Effexor and trazodone

Have people experienced a reduction in empathy while on Effexor or Trazadone? Did it your empathy come back once off medication?

Edited by manymoretodays
merged and title added

titled: Trazodone versus Zyprexa

Does anyone know which is harder to get off Trazadone or Zyprexa?

Edited by manymoretodays
merged form S and S care

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you taking both of these or thinking of switching?

If you are taking both, please add the Zyprexa to your drug signature.  We need to be able to see your drug history at a glance.  Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi TigerLily13, @TigerLily13

I thought I would bring back some of your recent questions and topics here.

This is your Introduction page.  And now, I can see that you joined up last November.

And so, I am also wondering how you are doing now?

Have you started tapering?

On 2/9/2021 at 6:39 AM, TigerLily13 said:

Titled:  Personality changes on Effexor and trazodone

Have people experienced a reduction in empathy while on Effexor or Trazadone? Did it your empathy come back once off medication?

And oh yes, I had a complete change in personality, once put on Effexor.  I don't think I completely lost my empathy, but it did throw me into a lot of mood cycling, and sometimes I was a bit "hypomanic".

That was after several medication trials already, and like you, I was probably being poly-drugged at the time.

And, I am, happy to report that many years later, I am back to me......with empathy, etc.

Your story may however, vary.

You'll see more on changes that family members, have noted from the drugs, on their loved ones here:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/19739-common-dynamic-how-antidepressants-destroy-relationships/

And then there may be other pre-existing topics in relationships or another forum here, that better answer your question too.

I just wanted to get you back here, to your Introduction topic today, to see where you are at, let you see your initial posts, and find out how we might best help right now.

On 2/9/2021 at 3:59 PM, TigerLily13 said:

I am thinking of switching.

Do you have an interest in coming off medications one day?  We don't ordinarily counsel about drug switches.  We are a site more focused around tapering, in a harm reduction manner, and then on WD(withdrawal) syndrome and support for this.

So welcome back,  and please update us, right here.  Thank you.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

moderator manymoretodays(mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing