SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Nomansland: mirtazapine - my biggest enemy

Nomansland

Hello,

first things first...iam from germany so my english might not be perfect, but will try to give my best.

I have had problems with nausea and vertigo in situations like having dinner with strangers on a trip for a few years.

First a few episodes a year, later (end of 2019/begin 2020) those episodes were more often and in other situations like

when going to a party. I tried to control it with Diphenhydramin for about 4 months (25 to 50 mg every second day or so).

It worked at first i guess, but wasnt a gamechanger. I stopped it in January/February i think. In my opinion thats where

the situation got like out of control. I had some strange vertigo/nausea episodes at work and in university and my mood dropped,

i felt depressed. I then went to psychiatric ER and got Mirtazapine (oh well....the beginning of the end). I researched the drug and found

stories about withdrawal, after i took it about 2-3 times. So i tapered from 15 mg to 0 in about a month by eyeballing.

5 days after i got off i felt anxiety creeping up and i took mirtazapine again, again eyeballing about 7,5 mg up to 15. A week later hell broke loose..

I became agitated, had anxiety (was never my problem), no appetite at all, vertigo, nausea...well withdrawal. After reading about taper and all i tried to

take close to 10mg every day (had no scale). A psychosomatic clinic was something a found and a few week later i could join. But of course i had

to take 15 mg in clinic as withdrawal is not something doctors are aware of...

I kind of stabilised on 15 mg (well i wasnt feeling well but nothing compared to "stage 1"). So after leaving the clinic i started my taper

at 19th of july by dry cutting with a scale and a file. I was foolish again and made to big cuts and hold not long enough as you can see in signature

..i updosed from 8 mg to 10 (on 23th of september) mg after 7 days because of intense withdrawal symptoms. Holding there till today.

Now i know that 10 % taper for 4 weeks (or slower) is necessary. But i want to get stable first, right now it doesnt feels like.

I have windows and waves and had good and very bad days. So i guess holding is the best option?

Iam not sure if my current situation is because of a dose variation?

Of couse i read about tapering with a scale and try to be very precise, but right now iam weighting every tablet on its own (range from 148 - 158 mg)

and calculate what 10 mg are for this specific tablet...should i maybe changing to average weight? (10mg variation from the tablets seems a bit much, bit its what it is)

Switching to liquid is something i would like to do...from my own tablets. But i know the transition can flare up things so iam not sure if

this is the right situation. Iam not stable right now...

Not feeling well.....

Thank you all very much for reading, SA is known in various countries and a big help to a lot of poeple!

Greetings

Nomandsland

2022 IMPORTANT WITHDRAWAL SURVEY, PLEASE PARTICIPATE: https://uelpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0AR9IsQ61jsiXBk

non-native speaker of english

2020: 3-March -> started Mirtazapine 15mg;

3-March to 6-April -> approx. cutting to 0 mg; 6-April to 20-April -> ~ 7,5 mg; 21-April to 31-April -> 15 mg; 1-May to 13-May -> ~ 10 mg (approx.); 15-May to 19-July -> 15 mg (psychosomatic clinic) 19-July -> started taper (scale and file) 14 mg (-6,6%); 08-August -> 12 mg (-14,3 %); 27-August -> 10 mg (-16,6 %); 15-September -> 8 mg (-20 %, bad idea, heavy WD); 23-September -> 10.2 mg (+20 %, 102 mgpw)

2021: 12-April to 12-May -> crossover from solid pill to DIY liquid (water only), 10.2 mg, not stable; 10-September -> back to crushing and weighing, still 10.2 mg (102 mgpw)

2022: 13-March -> changed to DIY liquid with suspension vehicle, 10.2 mg

Supplements: 1 x ~125 mg magnesiumbiglycinate before bed, low histamine diet

• ChessieCat changed the title to Nomansland: mirtazapine - my biggest enemy

Hello,

maybe i should also write my current symptoms.

The waves contain inner restlesness (no akatasia), nausea, vertigo, exhaustion, bad sleep (takes for every to fall asleep and waking is very early).

On the most crippling days a have to lay down in the middle of the day because it feels like adrenalin is rushing trough my body.

On the other hand i had days and evenings with nearly no symptoms, its a wild mix...right now its bad sadly.

Greetings

Nomansland

2022 IMPORTANT WITHDRAWAL SURVEY, PLEASE PARTICIPATE: https://uelpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0AR9IsQ61jsiXBk

3-March to 6-April -> approx. cutting to 0 mg; 6-April to 20-April -> ~ 7,5 mg; 21-April to 31-April -> 15 mg; 1-May to 13-May -> ~ 10 mg (approx.); 15-May to 19-July -> 15 mg (psychosomatic clinic) 19-July -> started taper (scale and file) 14 mg (-6,6%); 08-August -> 12 mg (-14,3 %); 27-August -> 10 mg (-16,6 %); 15-September -> 8 mg (-20 %, bad idea, heavy WD); 23-September -> 10.2 mg (+20 %, 102 mgpw)

2021: 12-April to 12-May -> crossover from solid pill to DIY liquid (water only), 10.2 mg, not stable; 10-September -> back to crushing and weighing, still 10.2 mg (102 mgpw)

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Nomansland.  Thank you for completing your signature.

You've made a lot of changes in the last several months, and you are right that you need to hold where you are for several months to stabilize.  At that point you can consider tapering, but right now just hold.  

As you know, we recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This link is specifically about tapering Mirtazapine and includes information about the various methods of tapering, including the scale and making your own liquid.  

Tips for tapering off mirtazapine (Remeron)

18 hours ago, Nomansland said:

Iam not sure if my current situation is because of a dose variation?

That is likely a contributing factors, along with your fast taper from 15 to zero, causing withdrawal syndrome.  Your symptoms are typical withdrawal symptoms.

should i maybe changing to average weight? (10mg variation from the tablets seems a bit much, bit its what it is)

Yes, that would be better.  We recommend weighing ten pills and using the average weight.  Thee is much more filler and binder in the pill than active ingredient.  So small variations in pill weight are inconsequential.

Switching to liquid is something i would like to do...from my own tablets. But i know the transition can flare up things so iam not sure if

this is the right situation. Iam not stable right now...

We do recommend making your own liquid, and, when the time comes, you can do a gradual crossover from tablet to liquid to ease the transition.  But you're absolutely right: now is not the time for that.  Now is the time for holding and healing.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (which I se you're ready taking) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hello Gridley,

thank you very, very much for your answer in my topic!

I have one question...

Is taking average weight of 10 tablets better to get an accurate dose then doing it for every single tablet?

Trying to help myself to get more stable...

Greetings

Nomansland

• Moderator Emeritus
40 minutes ago, Nomansland said:

Is taking average weight of 10 tablets better to get an accurate dose then doing it for every single tablet?

See this topic:

using-a-digital-scale-to-measure-doses

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hello Chessiecat,

thank you for the link.

My concern is that if a have a tablet which weights 148mg...i have to file it down to 99mg (uprounded) to get 10 mgai.

And with a 158 tablet its 105 mg.

When i make the average of ten pills (made it and it would be 152,5) i would have to file all tablets down to 102 mg for 10mgai.

BUT the tablet with original weight of 158 mg , filed down to 152,5 mg, would give me a dose of 9,68 mgai. The 148 mg tablet,

filed down to 102 mg, would give ma a dose of 10,33 mgai. Thats too much of a variation i think. And with the normal inconsistency of the 

gemini scale it could be even worse...right now my CNS would react to that i guess.

I have thought about some options...:

- continue with weighting each tablet (also i feel i could need a change, improvement, hence why i ask)

- leave out the upper and lower end tablets, obviously i dont know how much there will be in one container

- sort the tablets and only use the average from tablets which (for example) differs 5-6 mg in weight, and use another 10 tablets next time with the same conditions

(the last method seems kind of useful to me and came to my mind right now...)

Ive read the average weight is only used once (if there arent any other changes), but with a variation of 10 mg(pw) and possible doses changes of 9,68 to 10,33 mgai

per day it seems to much right now.

Hope you can help me with that or give me an idea how to improve that....sorry that i have to ask. : (

Today is a slighty better day and iam able to think about all that.

Greetings

Nomansland

• Moderator Emeritus

Is suggest that you ask in the relevant topic. Another mod or member might be able to assist you.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thank you.

I made a post in the linked topic.

So, brassmonkey suggested (to get a more consistend dose) to crush the tablets and get my "average" dose from the stock pile.

In the beginning of my too fast taper i ordered everything for all 3 methods (dry cutting, powder, liquid).

Iam not sure if i should swap to powder to get a more consistent dose at my stage of withdrawal...as you know right now iam filling every

tablet from its own weight. Because the swap would need a crossover as far as i know (also i think tablet to liquid would be more of a shock

than tablet to powder).

Dont know what to do right now...

Greetings

Switching from a tablet to a powder made from that tablet shouldn't require a cross taper because they are basically the same thing. There may be an increase in symptoms for a few days because of the slight difference in dose, but the difference would be so small it shouldn't be noticed.

What is the strength of the tablets as listed on the bottle?

What is the average weight on a whole tablet?

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hello brassmonkey,

today is really bad...vertigo, inner restlessness and bad nausea. 

Iam really afraid that its possible that i cant stabilise on 10 mg and have to endure months of this..well i had some good days since being back on 10 mg (even a week with nealy no symptoms) but it seems to get worse. Feel that my CNS is in shock...first day in a long time thinking of updosing to 15 mgai...but of course i know that this is not a solution. 

I have 15 mgai tablets and the average weight of 10 tablets is 152,5 mgpw. 

Also iam not sure if my current symptoms are from a variation of my current dose... because dry cutting (while not the best method) seems to be a pretty accepted way of getting a specific dose. Maybe its "just" from the destabilization.. 

Sorry that a have to ask for help. 

Looking at your signature it shows it shows a lot of very large dose changes in the last year. this is going to cause a lot of instability in your CNS. That instability is going to show up as a lot of different and sometimes intense symptoms. It is going to take a frustrating long time for things to settle down and stabilize, but they will. The day to day fluctuations in symptoms can be very disheartening and can lead to desperation to "do something", but doing nothing is the best thing and making the decision to "do nothing" is being very proactive.

The reason I asked for the tablet weight and strength is to calculate the AIC (Active Ingredient Concentration) for your medication. This is strength divided by weight.

15/152.5 = 0.098

Which can be rounded to 0.1.  This means that for every 1mgpw (milligram pill weight) there is 0.1mgai (milligram active ingredient).  I'm doing this to point out that currently the small fluctuations in the weight of your dose have very little affect on the strength of that dose. When you get down to the very small doses it will matter, but for now it's not too important. Even though there is very little affect, it is best to keep the doses as consistent as possible.

If you would please post a daily record of your symptoms, date, time, symptom, when you take your meds, when you eat, that sort to thing. It would really help us to get a clear picture of what is happening so we can make better recommendations.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks for your answer brassmonkey.

Want to point out that my day rhythm is very out of a normal one since a iam currently very ill. I do take the drug at the same time every day, but tried to push it to a more early hour by 10 minutes per day. But right now with the bad sleep and the last very, very hard days its hard for me to "swap" into a more normal rhythm. : (

27th Nov

2 a.m. took 10 mg Mirtazapine and go to bed 45 min later, feeling quite good after taking drug

(took about 3-4 hour to fall asleep)

10:30 a.m. Woke with tiredness, ache legs, but kind of calm
10:30 a.m. ate a cookie (to prevent cortisol?) and took 100 mg (elemental) magnesiumbyglicinate, trying to fall asleep again, hands feeling numb
2 p.m. got up after falling alseep again for about 30 min...two times, feeling tired and dizzy and nausea
3 p.m. a.m. Ate some apple and crispbread with cheese
5 p.m. had to lay down due to onset of HEAVY vertigo, inner restlessness
6 p.m. feel a bit better, cant sleep, laying down helps
7 p.m. cooking meal, feeling dizzy, no appetite, nausea
8 p.m. eat meal (low histamin), onset of nausea, inner restlessness but resolved after 1 hour
9 - 12 p.m. feeling abit better, less vertigo, more calm, few pistachios and cheese as snack
2 a.m. taking 10 mg mirtazapine, feeling more calm, feel appetite and just a little bit sleepy

2:45 a.m. going to bed, took forever to fall asleep..like 4-5 hours

I have to say that i vape with nicotin and i feel that when vaping, sometimes i feel more agitation. In the past i lowered the nicotin because of this (like when i first reduced mirt so heavy).

Think i cant quit using nicotin right now, because that would be another huge withdrawal, feeling stuck.

Also, sometimes i feel the mirtazapine more and sometimes less...could be coincidence but also sign of a too different dose...

Today is a little tiny bit better than yesterday but have to lay down again. Seem to get worse 2 months after updosing....

Edited by ChessieCat
unbolded

Want to point out that i take no caffeine and drink no alcohol...

29th Nov

2 a.m. took 10 mg Mirtazapine and go to bed 45 min later, feeling quite good after taking drug

(took about 3-4 hour to fall asleep)

11:30 a.m. Woke tired, ache legs, but kind of calm
11:30 a.m. ate 2 cookies (to prevent cortisol?) and took trying to fall asleep again, took 1 hour
2 p.m. got up, ache legs, a bit nausea, tired
3 p.m. a.m. Ate an apple and 2 crispbread with cheese
5 p.m. feeling agitation,
6 p.m. feel a bit better, took 100 mg magnesium, and walk for 1 hour
7 p.m. cooking meal, no appetite, slight nausea
8 p.m. eat meal (low histamin), onset of nausea, inner restlessness for 1 hour
9 - 12 p.m. feeling a lot better, slight agitation, few pistachios and cheese as snack

12 p.m. took 100 mg magnesium
2 a.m. took 10 mg mirtazapine, feeling quite good, feel appetite and just a little bit sleepy

2:45 a.m. going to bed, and took forever to fall asleep

Yesterday and today are much better, very very mild vertigo, inner restlessness/agitation is quite strong,

overall slight nausea, tired, no drive to do something..

How crazy...from nearly bed bound to semi-functional in about 2 days..

Greetings

Edited by ChessieCat
unbolded

Have a few questions about the capsule, powder method.

- When i crush a few tablets, i just have to mix the powder a little right? So i dont have to worry about distribution..

- Is it better to weight the capsule on the scale (tare) and then but the powder in? Seems easier than to just weight the powder.

Greetings

• Moderator Emeritus
14 minutes ago, Nomansland said:

- When i crush a few tablets, i just have to mix the powder a little right? So i dont have to worry about distribution..

- Is it better to weight the capsule on the scale (tare) and then but the powder in? Seems easier than to just weight the powder.

Yes, it's a good idea to stir the powder around for distribution purposes.  It's better to just weigh the powder, adding or removing to get the weight you want, then pour the powder into a gelatin capsule.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

On 11/27/2020 at 9:18 PM, brassmonkey said:

The reason I asked for the tablet weight and strength is to calculate the AIC (Active Ingredient Concentration) for your medication. This is strength divided by weight.

15/152.5 = 0.098

Which can be rounded to 0.1.  This means that for every 1mgpw (milligram pill weight) there is 0.1mgai (milligram active ingredient).  I'm doing this to point out that currently the small fluctuations in the weight of your dose have very little affect on the strength of that dose. When you get down to the very small doses it will matter, but for now it's not too important. Even though there is very little affect, it is best to keep the doses as consistent as possible.

Thank you for the calculations brassmonkey.

Does that mean that you think its not the right time for me right now to switch to powder from tablet? Or do i missinterpret that...

Right now iam really scarred to do something wrong that leads into further destabilisation...

For example that the distribution of the AI in the powder would be not equal, even when i mix it. : (

Greetings

If your nervous about making a change the it would be a good idea to wait until you feel better about it. There should not be a problem with changing to the powder. Your body might react a little differently because of the different form of the medication, but if it does it should only last a few days because it is the exact same medication. You would be more likely to have problems if you were to switch to a liquid, but even then it is infrequent.

I think one of the most asked questions we get is whether the active ingredient is evenly distributed in the tablets and the powder that you get from crushing them. The short answer is yes. The major manufacturers of the tablets work very hard to make sure everything is mixed well and the dose is accurate. All crushing does is mix the ingredients together even more.

One of our primary recommendations is "if you're not sure, then hold". Things can get quite bumpy at times and making changes when that happens usually makes things worse. The only time we advocate a quick change is when there is an "adverse reaction", which you are not having. So take your time and follow the dictates of your body.

Thanks, brassmonkey.

Yesterday i tried to crush 2 tablets (just to try how it "behaves"). Powder was very fine, it got stick to the pan of the Gem. scale.

And also stick to the "crusher", guess i should have ordered a porcelain one, not the metal one.

I read about the note paper and that it wouldnt stick on it anymore when its a bit "sticky" from the powder, but for the pan its

very hard to handle. Would like weight the powder with the note itself...or a more "non-sticky" thing.

Got me kind of sad...

I also tried to dissolve one pill in slighty warm water and it dissolved pretty good in about 5 to 10 minutes.

Then i stirred it and put a light under the glas. Looks pretty equal after stirring. Well thats about it.

Today is a very, very big window day with only very mild symptoms. But i know they will come back. : (

Have a question to the moderators...you read so many stories, day after day, month after month...

is there really a high chance that someone stabilise after messing with the dose (i never was longer than 2 month on a dose,

crazy right? i should have known what comes) and being able to succesfully taper? I worry so much about that the future taper

will be even harder now, which seems kind of what it is reading on SA.

Greetings!

I always put the note paper on the pan on the scale, worked really well. Just be sure to TARE out the weight of the paper before weighing the dose.

There is usually no problem with doing a taper after waiting a long time to stabilize, so there is nothing to worry about on that account. Some people can be more sensitive to changes after a destabailization  (spell checker is acting up again) but that only means they may have to take the taper a bit slower or smaller reductions. It's all a part of listening to ones body during the taper. One thing to remember is that you have only been using one medication the entire time (according to your signature) while most members here have been taking several different drugs at the same time. It makes a big difference in the tapering experience.

Making your own liquid is a good option for doing a taper. But that is in the future after you get stable.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Nomansland said:

Yesterday i tried to crush 2 tablets (just to try how it "behaves"). Powder was very fine, it got stick to the pan of the Gem. scale.

And also stick to the "crusher", guess i should have ordered a porcelain one, not the metal one.

I read about the note paper and that it wouldnt stick on it anymore when its a bit "sticky" from the powder, but for the pan its

very hard to handle.

Note paper is fine.  I had good luck with LabExact Grade WW non-absorbent weighing paper 3" X 3", available on Amazon.

For crushing, I found that crushing between two spoons works very well.  The powder is accessible and doesn't stick.  I think with any pill crusher you're going to have some sticking issues

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Dude, there’s definitely some horror stories out there... but there’s some positive recoveries as well. Your probably going through them all trying to draw parallels to your situation... but the thing is, we’re all unique.

Out stories are pretty similar, and I’m not going to lie, I’ve had moments were I’ve been so low, and I still do. But... there have been improvements, they’re small, but they have been there. I had terrible akasthesia for a couple of weeks... that’s gone. During the past three days I’ve felt a mild return of my libido (that had been non-existent for 5 weeks). My heart was pounding, now it’s just beating a bit quick. And truth be told, I’ve not done much to help myself over the past month other than wallow in self pity. So if I’ve improved doing that, surely if I take a positive mindset and do more things to help myself, I’ll improve some more. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got the feeling this is going to take me years to fully recover from, and I’m never going to be the same. But maybe I’ll be better, maybe it’ll change my outlook on the world and I’ll appreciate everything a little more. The path I was on led me to where I am now... so something wasn’t right. I’d have preferred a milder lesson, but hey, this is the one I got.

I know it’s easier said than done, but try and stay positive, keep the long-term recovery in mind. 

I’m thinking of you dude, we can do this .

25/8/2020 - 15/9/2020 - 15mg mirtazapine

16/9/2020 - 30mg mirtazapine

17/9/2020 - 22/9/2020 - 7.5 mg mirtazapine

23/9/2020 - 6/10/2020 - 3.75mg mirtazapine

7/10/2020 - 15/10/2020 - 7.5 mg mirtazapine

16/10/2020 - 20/10/2020 - 15 mg mirtazapine

21/10/2020 - 22/10/2020 - 7.5 mg mirtazapine

23/10/202 - 26/11/2020 - 15 mg mirtazapine

27/11/2020 - 10/12/2020 -13.5 mg mirtazapine

11/12/2020 - 17/12/2020 - 12 mg mirtazapine

18/12/2020 - 26/12/2020 - 11.75 mg mirtazapine

Thank you all very much for your encouragement. It means a lot to me!

Last few days were "okay" to "good" which is an improvement i guess. Well my scale seems kind of shaky when it comes to measurements.

Seems like i cant produce the exact weight again...well its just off about 1 or 2 mg sometimes. When i weight 102 today, it could be 100 to 104 tomorrow.

But that worries me, altough i know the ratio thanks to brassmonkey. Sometimes i think about switching to liquid soon...well dont know for sure.

Have a question:

When i decide to try melatonin (i have 0.3 mg tablets) do i have to leave a break between taking melatonin and taking mirtazapin?

I guess i have to...but should i take it before or after taking mirt. Because i thought about taking it 2 hours apart from the AD, but i

go to bed about 1 or 1 1/2 hour after taking mirtazapin. And i guess taking melatonin 3 or more hours before going to bed would

not be ideal.

Couldnt find an answer in the melatonin thread.

Greetings!

• Administrator

Hello, @Nomansland.

It seems you had been taking mirtazapine only about a month when you went off on April 6? Did you have any odd symptoms over the next few days? How was your sleep?

What is your current daily drug and sleep schedule? What is your sleep pattern?

You may want to take your dose as 1/2 of a 15mg tablet (7.5mg) and the rest in a homemade liquid, with an oral syringe. You may find this easier to keep consistent.

On 11/28/2020 at 9:11 AM, Nomansland said:

I have to say that i vape with nicotin and i feel that when vaping, sometimes i feel more agitation. In the past i lowered the nicotin because of this (like when i first reduced mirt so heavy).

Think i cant quit using nicotin right now, because that would be another huge withdrawal, feeling stuck.

It may be best that you don't agitate your system when you vape. Can you lower the nicotine a very small amount, so it doesn't have this effect?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello Altostrata,

i want to say thank you for all the work that you and the team do everyday. For me, this is one of the biggest

medical issues of the century....its just unbelievable.

12 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, @Nomansland.

It seems you had been taking mirtazapine only about a month when you went off on April 6? Did you have any odd symptoms over the next few days? How was your sleep?

Well about 5 or 6 days after i went off in april, i felt a big drop in my mood and a kind of anxiety. I did not have the

knowledge about antidepressants that i have today, so i reinstated mirtazapine (by eyeballing). The big crash came

2 or 3 weeks later....so dont know if the symptoms were because of the reinstating or going off.

My sleep wasnt the best but also not too bad, as far as i remember. Right now its not good.

What is your current daily drug and sleep schedule? What is your sleep pattern?

Yeah my sleep schedule is very bad...i take mirt always at 2a.m. and go to bet by 3.a.m. and like i said it takes about 2-3 hour to

fall asleep. Waking at 10 or 11 a.m. and trying to get back to sleep...and got up by 2p.m....its not good. Guess i have to really work

to get a normal sleep schedule. Which is hard because of the sleep issue....(taking melatonin that late is not a good thing right?).

I also take a total 250 mg magnesiumbiglycinat troughout the day (2 doses) and sometimes when i wake up at 10-11 a.m. In the evening always 2 hours before to mirtazapine.

No other supplements or drugs.

It may be best that you don't agitate your system when you vape. Can you lower the nicotine a very small amount, so it doesn't have this effect?

Yes, normally i take 3mg nicotin per ml liquid (thats not much, when you switch from cigarettes to vaping, you usually take about 12 to 18 mg). Now i take 1 mg/ml nicotin, which is better in regards to agitation.

You may want to take your dose as 1/2 of a 15mg tablet (7.5mg) and the rest in a homemade liquid, with an oral syringe. You may find this easier to keep consistent.

Would be an idea....but splitting the tablet is also inconsistent (when i dont use a reliable scale)...but there are scorred. And ive found information from the manufacturer that it can be split in 2 equal doses (so the distribution should be good).

Greetings

Nomansland

• Administrator

You can get a pill splitter gadget to cut your tablet in half. I always used a sharp knife.

6 hours ago, Nomansland said:

Yeah my sleep schedule is very bad...i take mirt always at 2a.m. and go to bet by 3.a.m. and like i said it takes about 2-3 hour to

fall asleep. Waking at 10 or 11 a.m. and trying to get back to sleep...and got up by 2p.m....its not good. Guess i have to really work

to get a normal sleep schedule. Which is hard because of the sleep issue....(taking melatonin that late is not a good thing right?).

Your body works on a regular schedule according to sunrise and sunset. When you move your sleep too far off this schedule, you're working against your normal body processes.

What is the sleep cycle?

Taking melatonin at nightfall (between 9 p.m. and midnight) reminds your body to start its sleep processes.

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

Your natural melatonin production is triggered by darkness. Lowering the lights at night, keeping a regular sleep-wake schedule closer to normal hours, and blocking the light in your bedroom with blackout shades and curtains will strengthen your sleep. Also, avoid exposure to bright computer or phone screens for several hours before bed.

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Path to Better Sleep FREE online for everyone from the US Veterans Administration

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you Alto for your answer.

I will work on my sleep schedule, altough i know it will be hard, because that was also an issue before this hell even started.

Tried meditation before sleep 2 days ago and while it wasnt making me sleepy, it has calmed my mind down.

Also, since a few months, i use a sleep mask and ear plugs every night, think it helps.

Last few days were "ok". Definitly not as bad as those vertigo, bed ridden days, but also far away from good.

Greetings!

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Nomansland said:

Last few days were "ok". Definitly not as bad as those vertigo, bed ridden days, but also far away from good.

I find it helpful to compare how I currently am with how I was at my worst, not how I was at my best or how I would like to be.

Thats an interesting point of view ChessieCat. Sometimes we have to remind ourself of the little things that makes a day comfortable.

Iam a bit concerned about the following:

Sometimes i feel drowsy after taking mirtazapine and sometimes not. Of course i appreciate the drowsyness before going to bed.

The real sleep inducing affect is gone long ago (few weeks after starting), but right now i sometimes get a bit drowsy and sometimes not...

thats a bit strange isnt it?

Greetings

• Moderator Emeritus

It might be related to what you are eating/drinking.  If it's not that, then who knows?  There is an awful lot that is not known about psychiatric drugs.  Much of the information that is provided on SA has been gathered from the many years of observations of many people taking and getting off the drugs done by lay people not scientific evidence.

Have you listened to Altostrata's recent interview:

INTERVIEW with Altostrata, SA's founder  

Thank you for your response ChessieCat.

I do not to eat about 1 to 1,5 hours before i take mirt, just drinking water. But know you are right...i was never stabil since beginning this awful drug.

How would i? I kept changing doses.

Yes ive listen to it! Its outstanding! I also saw an videocall interview with alto and a view other taper veterans but cant remember the link or from when it was...

Want to inform you that the last days were quite okay, the inner restlessness was very mild. Or it has changed to some kind of..."feeling off and tired".

Also had a good appetite, which is important for me.

Greetings

• Moderator Emeritus
29 minutes ago, Nomansland said:

I also saw an videocall interview with alto and a view other taper veterans but cant remember the link or from when it was...

This was the panel discussion after the Medicating Normal documentary.

Thank you ChessieCat! Now i can always find the links here.

Want to post some thoughts about symptoms that i dont have, for which iam gratefull:

- no nightmares (which is often reported with mirtazapine)

- no awakening in panic/anxiety (yes i feel rough in mornings, depending on sleep)

- no heavy depression/anxiety (i worry ALOT about my future...but its no real anxiety or depression, only had a few days with unreal, heavy depressed feelings)

- only very minor muscle/body ache problems

Well thats for now...no one knows what the future brings...(have a window today)

Greetings

Hello,

installed a blackout roller blind (is that the proper english word for it?) today on windows in my bedroom.

Hopefully it will help with the early waken.

Last few nights, they were drilling and pounding in the lower flat, which wakens me up.

Earplugs only help a bit against those noises (nearly all the others ones disappear, which is great).

Greetings

On 12/16/2020 at 7:20 PM, Nomansland said:

Want to post some thoughts about symptoms that i dont have, for which iam gratefull:

- no nightmares (which is often reported with mirtazapine)

- no awakening in panic/anxiety (yes i feel rough in mornings, depending on sleep)

- no heavy depression/anxiety (i worry ALOT about my future...but its no real anxiety or depression, only had a few days with unreal, heavy depressed feelings)

- only very minor muscle/body ache problems

Want to add brain zaps. Dont think ive ever experienced them. I get and got some muscle jerkings, but only minor ones. So dont know if that counts as "brain zaps".

Greetings