Beverly: weaning off duloxetine

Beverly

😵 I am  confused, light headed, loseing memory getting worse each day,just since hydroxyzine was added, pain is increasing, balance poor, almost falling, vertigo,night sweats, walks drunkenly, strange troubling dreams, thoughts of dying, anxiety.

Edited by ChessieCat
moved from success stories, name added to title/debolded deitalicised
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Beverly: weaning off duloxetine
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Beverly and welcome to SA,

We need some additional information about your drug history.  This can be done by creating your drug signature.  We need information about drugs (including non-psychiatric drugs and supplements, current and previous.  Please follow the instructions in the following topic:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Once we have more details we will be better able to offer suggestions and provide information.

This is your own Introduction topic which is the best place to ask questions about your own situation and to journal your progress.

Altostrata, this site's website was recently interviewed.  I suggest that you listen to it:  INTERVIEW with Altostrata, SA's founder    

And a message from Altostrata:

On 11/7/2020 at 8:23 AM, Altostrata said:

One of the things that's very important to each person here is knowing that healing is possible. Please don't just go away when you feel better! "Pay it forward" by updating your Intro topic with your progress

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Beverly desperately needs to wean off of duloxitine

About 60 years ago I started having "nervous breakdowns" Gp,s would prescribe various drugs never telling me what they were except for Barbituates, which didn't help. Over time I saw three different psycologists and many different doctors Tried suicide twice, finally self medicated with  alcohol. My Dad and Mother both had drinking problems, I became an alcoholic. I was delivered from drinking through prayer during the charismatic movement. however, I still had high anxiety and depression a new Dr. gave me prozac short term. I developed Fibromyalgia and was placed on Amytriptiline couldn't tolerate it, since been on Effexor, Paxil. Pamelor, Lamotrigine ,Gabapentin, Savella, Lotensin, Lamotrigen, Trazadone, Wellbutrin, All of which I had very bad Reactions to. I have Paradoxical effect to many medicines.  About 7 years ago my GP. gave me Oxycodone for severe pain, five years ago a Rheumatologist prescribed Duloxytine. I had been on Alpazolam for for about 20 years, the CRNP in my Drs. office said  I must wean off of it, I was totally cut off of it within a month. I couldn't sleep, bodily pain became intense, mind was freaking out, this was this past April, Dr. refused to see me cbecause of Covid 19, I begged them for only 1 pill to make me sleep,  the clinition decided I was suicidel and sent a policeman to my home to take me to hospital. The ER. Dr. sent me back to my GP. who ordered Mirtazipine for sleep .In a few days I was completely unable to think, head was extremely dizzy, couldn't walk properly, felt that "I" was disappearing. Stopped Mirtazipine. Ended up in Behavior Health Clinic, Psyciatrist there gave me Hydroyzine for sleep , which I am on now. I have found out that Hydroxyzine ,  Duloxytine, and Oxycodone are a bad mixture of drugs.I believe I have a mild to medium case of seratonin syndrome.           I also take Amlodipine, Metforman, Levothyroxin,  Vitamins, B12, B complex, E, D3, Calcium, Zink, And Ipatropium Nasel spray for allergies

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title
  • Moderator Emeritus

Merged new Intro into original Intro.  Only 1 Introduction topic per member please.  This keeps your history in one place.  Thank you.

Edited by ChessieCat

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Beverly said:

Beverly desperately needs to wean off of duloxitine

Beverly,I'm sorry you're going through this.  Here is my understanding of your situation based on your post.

2000 Alpozolam (Xanax) ((do you know the dosage?)

Prozac (approximate date?) bad reaction

Amitriptyline (approximate date?) bad reaction

Effexor, Paxil, Pamelo, Lamotrigine, Gabapentin, Savella, Lotensin, Trazodone, Wellutrin (approximate dates, year is sufficient?) bad reaction

2013 Oxycodone (do you know how many mg dosage?) 

2015 Duloxetine (do you know how many mg dosage?)

2020 (month?) Doctor forced one-month taper of Alpozolam

2020 (month?) sent to ER, returned me  to GP, who prescribed mirtazapine, very bad reaction

2020 (month?) hydroyzine (dose?) for sleep.  Currently on this drug.

2020 currently on Hydroyzine (dose?), Oxycodone (dose?), duloxetine (dose?)

Please pick up what I've written and paste it in the following link to create your drug signature, which will appear beneath all your posts and is very helpful to staff.  Once you've picked up what I've written, pasted it, corrected errors and answered questions to the best of your ability, then press save.  You will need to do this on a computer rather than a phone.  Here's the link:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

If you have  question about how to do this, let me know and I will help you.

You are right to be concerned about the interaction among hydroxyzine, duloxetine and oxycodone.  Here is a drug interaction report:

Interactions between your drugs

Major

oxyCODONE  hydrOXYzine

Applies to: oxycodone, hydroxyzine

Using narcotic pain or cough medications together with other medications that also cause central nervous system depression can lead to serious side effects including respiratory distress, coma, and even death. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring to safely use both medications. Do not drink alcohol or self-medicate with these medications without your doctor's approval, and do not exceed the doses or frequency and duration of use prescribed by your doctor. Also, because these medications may cause dizziness, drowsiness, difficulty concentrating, and impairment in judgment, reaction speed and motor coordination, you should avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how they affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Moderate

hydrOXYzine  DULoxetine

Applies to: hydroxyzine, duloxetine

Using hydrOXYzine together with DULoxetine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Moderate

oxyCODONE  DULoxetine

Applies to: oxycodone, duloxetine

Using oxyCODONE together with DULoxetine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucinations, seizures, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms during treatment. In addition, combining these medications may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Beverly, I am going to stop here for the moment because it is time for my sleep.  I you can, work on the drug signature  Tomorrow I will give you  some information about tapering duloxetine.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

@Beverly

To continue, here is some information about tapering off Duloxetine.  We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This link is specifically about tapering Duloxetine.

Tips for tapering off duloxetine (Cymbalta)

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

@Beverly

I received your PM.  Please post here in your Introduction topic.  Thank you.

On 10/29/2020 at 5:07 AM, Altostrata said:

Administrators and staff get dozens of personal messages every day, most of them belonging in peoples' Introductions topic. Please help us save our volunteer staff's time and effort by posting in the community forum rather than sending personal messages to the staff.

When you ask questions in your Introductions topic, all the staff can see them and the answers to them. This helps us understand what you've already been told and avoid duplicate effort or confusion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Beverly, @Beverly

Welcome aboard.

How are you doing?

You'll see your medications sorted out a bit, from your narratives, above.

And please let us know how we might help.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16,  medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator

Hello, Beverly.

On 11/28/2020 at 1:18 PM, Beverly said:

I had been on Alpazolam for for about 20 years, the CRNP in my Drs. office said  I must wean off of it, I was totally cut off of it within a month.

When did you go off alprazolam? Were you taking duloxetine and oxycodone at the time? What drugs did you add after you went off alprazolam?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.