Possibly anecdotal but question about SSRIs and cocaine use

EmpathyIsAnAfterThought

EmpathyIsAnAfterThought

Hello all,

So my experience of SSRI's are around an ex-girlfriend and also my best friend, both enjoyed cocaine immensely after about about 6 months to 1 year on SSRI's despite never bothering with it before.

Something my friend once said really got me thinking last night, "the cocaine makes me feel alive" ok now granted even people not prescribed SSRI's would say a very similar thing but the fact that we  know SSRI's reduce dopamine and cocaine floods the brain with this chemical is an interesting connection in my opinion.

I'm mostly thinking out loud and maybe thats just two purely anecdotal but reading some things on here it seems cocaine use on SSRI's is more common than i had originally imaged.

The dopamine connection could also explain the infatuation a lot of people seem to develop with what economists call the "dopamine economy" things such as Instagram and gambling that directly target the pleasure centers of the brain.

• Administrator

We're not big on discussing neurotransmitters here, the theories about serotonin, dopamine, etc. having been debunked but embedded in popular culture anyway.

We're very much focused on tapering off psychiatric drugs and recovering from withdrawal syndrome. For general discussion, you may be on the wrong site.

If you would like to compare drug effects, you might go to bluelight.org.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Possibly anecdotal but question about SSRIs and cocaine use