twitch22: is this withdrawal?

twitch22

Hello everyone,

I was on Mirtazapine for about 3 years - 15 mg. I had a stressful time going on and decided to up to 30 mg. I then a few weeks later started suffering from a lump in throat/tight throat feeling, muscle tension in neck, twitching all over body, insomnia. I talked it over with my Psych Doc and we decided to go back down to 15 mg, the twitching is still there, but its not as bad. I still suffered from the lump in the throat feeling, though. I was then precribed 10mg of Lexapro and quickly went up to 20mg within a few weeks on top of Trazadone for sleep. After weeks of being on all of those three meds, I was still suffering the terrible neck tension and lump in throat. I decided to taper of Mirtazapine, and after about 6 months off of that, still going through the same symptoms. So I then decided to get off the Lexapro. I have been off of Lexapro for a little over 60 days now. Still, this terrible lump in throat/anxiety/depression feeling is still taking over my life. The only thing I am on now is Trazadone for sleep (I desperately need that to sleep). I feel like I am not able to enjoy anything anymore, it feels like a switch flipped in my head, some sort of reaction, after going to 30 mg of Mirtazapine and it wont switch back. I have looked up a lot of my symptoms and they sound like withdrawal.... could Mirtazapine messed up my brain for life? its been like 2 years since I started feeling these symptoms. I am hopeless right now. I don't know if I will ever feel better. My Doc thinks I should try Buspirone, but my problem is.... if Mirt and Lexapro didn't work together, should I try another drug? or just be patient and wait this out? Thanks everyone

Edited by Shep
added new username to title

2015 - Mirtazapine 15mg for 3 years

2018 - bump up to 30mg Mirtazipine because I was depressed after taking Adderall , two weeks later adverse reaction

later 2018 - jumped right back into 15mg

Early 2019 - prescribed Baclofen 10 mg, Lexapro 10 mg, Requip 2mg, and Trazadone 100mg on top of my Mirtazapine. Upped to Lexapro 20 mg a few weeks later.

Mid 2019 - still having symptoms, start taper off Mirtazapine (took about 3 or 4 months to come off)

later 2019 - still having symptoms after coming off Mirt for many months, start taper off requip.

early 2020 - off requip, taper baclofen

mid 2020 - start taper off Lexapro.

September 30th, 2020 - off Lexapro 

Current Medications - 50 mg Trazadone

• ChessieCat changed the title to REAL NAME?: is this withdrawal?
  • Shep changed the title to twitch22: is this withdrawal?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, twitch22.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

You should be aware, in case your doctor is not, that the three drugs you were on previously at the same time, mirtazapine, Lexapro and Trazodone, have major interactions for serotonin syndrome.  You can check them out for yourself using this link:

Drug Interactions Checker 

Your doctor may also not be aware that there is a major serotonin syndrome drug interaction between Trazodone and the new drug he/she suggested, Buspirone.  Our recommendation would be not to start the Buspirone or another drug.  We are a site or going off drugs, and do not make adding yet another drug to your system.  

It sounds like you had an adverse reaction to the increased 30mg of Mirtazapine.  The symptoms of an adverse reaction are very similar to those of withdrawal, and the symptoms you describe are typical. You are likely also suffering from withdrawal from a too-fast taper of Lexapro.  Not being able to enjoy anything, known as anhedonia, is a typical withdrawal symptom.  Your brain is not damaged permanently.  It will heal over tie and the symptoms will fade.  Your situation is by no means hopeless.  To repeat, you will heal and you will feel better.  You just need to give it time.  Be patient and wait it out.

So that you have a better idea of what you're experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal and the healing process.

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi Gridley. Hope you are doing well. I’ll post my history right here because it didn’t allow me to fit it all in my signature:

early 2018 - did Adderall for one day, maybe took too much

2018 - bump up to 30mg Mirtazipine because I was depressed after taking Adderall , two weeks later adverse reaction

later 2018 - jumped right back into 15mg Mirt, no taper, still having symptoms 

early 2019 - went to Vegas, did Cocaine once, realize I didn’t want to get into hard drugs, went to rehab, still having symptoms 

Early 2019 - prescribed Baclofen 10 mg, Lexapro 10 mg, Requip 2mg, and Trazadone 100mg on top of my Mirtazapine. Upped to Lexapro 20 mg a few weeks later.

Mid 2019 - still having symptoms, start taper off Mirtazapine (took about 3 or 4 months to come off)

later 2019 - still having symptoms after coming off Mirt for many months, start taper off requip.

early 2020 - off requip, still having symptoms, start taper off baclofen.

mid 2020 - still having symptoms, start taper off Lexapro.

Current Medications - 50 mg Trazadone at night

please give me advice on how to fit this all in my signature lol. 

• Moderator Emeritus
28 minutes ago, twitch22 said:

please give me advice on how to fit this all in my signature lol. 

I think the maximum is 12 lines.  If you'll omit the 2nd line about Adderall, you should be at 12.  Here's the link:  

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

I posted a couple months back: 

I am still having a ton of symptoms that I feel like are not healing. I have been off Mirtazapine for a year and a half and off lexapro for 5 months. My muscles are still twitching, my neck is tense all day, my throat is tense. I have no interest in things I used to love because I feel like my body is constantly tense. Lately, I have this taste in my mouth, on the sides of my tongue and pressure in the roof of my mouth and teeth. I do not feeling like this is getting better. I’m starting to think I may have messed myself up for good. Here is the full list of symptoms I have been dealing with:

muscle twitching, throat tension, neck tension, waking up at 6:30 am every morning, pressure in mouth, weird taste in mouth, acid reflux, exercising worsens symptoms (exercising used to be one of my antidepressants). I’m losing hope. Its been about 2 years since I started feeling some of these symptoms. Sometimes I don’t think it’s withdrawal. How could it last this long? This all started when I was on 15 mg Mirtazapine. I took adderall, about 90mg (bad choice). Next day I was severely depressed and that went on for a few weeks. I then asked my doc to up my Mirt to 30mg and a week later this all started and it hasn’t gone away since. I’m afraid I messed myself up from the adderall. Can one dose do this to you? Or is this definitely an adverse reaction to Mirt? I’m so scared I’ll never be myself again. Thank you for reading.

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is your Introduction topic:  twitch22-is-this-withdrawal

Only 1 Introduction topic per member.  Your Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions specific to your situation and where you can journal your progress.  This way your history is in one place and you will not need to repeat yourself.

This topic will be merged with your original Introduction.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

11 hours ago, twitch22 said:

Hello all,

I posted a couple months back: 

I am still having a ton of symptoms that I feel like are not healing. I have been off Mirtazapine for a year and a half and off lexapro for 5 months. My muscles are still twitching, my neck is tense all day, my throat is tense. I have no interest in things I used to love because I feel like my body is constantly tense. Lately, I have this taste in my mouth, on the sides of my tongue and pressure in the roof of my mouth and teeth. I do not feeling like this is getting better. I’m starting to think I may have messed myself up for good. Here is the full list of symptoms I have been dealing with:

muscle twitching, throat tension, neck tension, waking up at 6:30 am every morning, pressure in mouth, weird taste in mouth, acid reflux, exercising worsens symptoms (exercising used to be one of my antidepressants). I’m losing hope. Its been about 2 years since I started feeling some of these symptoms. Sometimes I don’t think it’s withdrawal. How could it last this long? This all started when I was on 15 mg Mirtazapine. I took adderall, about 90mg (bad choice). Next day I was severely depressed and that went on for a few weeks. I then asked my doc to up my Mirt to 30mg and a week later this all started and it hasn’t gone away since. I’m afraid I messed myself up from the adderall. Can one dose do this to you? Or is this definitely an adverse reaction to Mirt? I’m so scared I’ll never be myself again. Thank you for reading.

Your body is trying to calm itself. Let it

March-2017-Dec-2017 ativanCT /reinstated ativan 1mg tapered 2 months/June 2017-April 2018 zyprexa 10mg switched to seroquel 200-300mg in april 2018/dec-2017-present zoloft 100mg/ quit seroquel 200-300mg cold turkey May 6 2018 reinstated seroquel 100mg around May 25 2018 since then tapered to 50mg zoloft and 50 mg of seroquel presently other medications Testosterone cypionate 2oomg every 4 days

UPDATE -August 20 2018--october 20 2018 tapered off Testosterone/Nov 7 2018 --Dec 20 2018 Lamictal micro dose 2.50mg 1 1/2 weeks then reduced to 1.25 then fast tapered as it became paridoxial.nausea- racing thoughts- agitation and insomnia.

August 28 2018 to Present Cannabis indica micro dose PM bedtime only.

Presently Seroquel 37.5 mg bedtime /Zoloft 47mg morning

May 2018-Present Multivitamin/ Bcomplex/Vit C 1000MG/B12 1000MCG/Fish oils 2grams/

Jan 2019-Trace mineral liquid low dose

Update dec 2019 -29mg of zoloft tapering/Seroquel 37.5 holding/1 or 2  ativan 1mg a month as needed if that.

Black seed oil-caprylic acid-/b complex/b12/multi/D/E/melatonin

• 4 months later...

Hello all,

I am 1 year and 10 months off of Mirtazapine and going on a year off of Lexapro. I had a adverse reaction to upping my dosage of Mirtazapine from 15 to 30 mg. Twitches, depression, anxiety, ruminating thoughts. This has been going on so long, close to two years. I know I am very strong to make it this long, but the suicidal thoughts have been very strong. I’ve even gone as far as setting up the place to do it in my head. I feel like this is never going to get better. The last 3 or 4 months there have been little to no progress. All I do is sit on the couch and watch tv and eat. Exercise ramps up my nervous system too much and meditation doesn’t do much at all. I also live alone, I have no support and it’s very lonely. I don’t know what to do anymore and it’s so sad to think back at how happy I was years ago :( thank you for reading

Edited by arbor

• arbor changed the title to twitch22: is this withdrawal?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Dear @twitch22--I've moved your recent introduction here to your main topic/introduction.  We use only one Introduction site for each of us members.  Your question about surviving the pain of w/d is one that I can certainly sympathize with.  I understand how strong the suicidal thoughts can become.  I want you to know how impressed I am at your fortitude--as you've gotten this far.  I never knew that anything could be as truly horrible as w/d from psycho-medications.  When you finally begin to get through this, and you will, you should be awarded the biggest medal in the world.  Your loneliness is also a neuro-emotion, as many people going through this, feel lonely even surrounded by others.  All the negative feelings you're having to endure and especially their intensity and the added emotion of worry that they'll never end on top of that--these are neuro-emotions. 

Neuro-emotions

However, your brain is healing.  I believe the neuro-emotions are a result of the stress on the brain as it works overtime to heal.  To be honest, I still can't watch tv.  (I can eat!)  I'm glad you've reached out because people here can relate to how hard it is to go through what you're experiencing.  

21 hours ago, twitch22 said:

I know I am very strong to make it this long

You are amazingly strong!  I'm glad for you.  This strength will lead to healing and a good life again.  For myself, I try to take things one moment at a time, try to find some space in that moment in which I can keep enduring.  Exercise can be too much, but walking from room to room can sometimes change the load of darkness.

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section where you may find some useful ideas to keep going.   

Dealing With Emotional Spirals 

Also, reading the success stories can be a life-line.

Recovery Success Stories

My very best to you, twitch22,

You've come a long way.  you're going to make it.

Arbor💜💜💜

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

Sorry to hear you are still finding things tough @twitch22. You are so strong to have got through everything you have so far. You are not alone. Although I haven’t been going through WD as long as you have, I can relate to many of your symptoms, especially the twitching. I will remain hopeful that things will get better for you. Take care. X 

Mid-August 2020 - started 15mg Mirtazapine, increased to 30mg 2 weeks later. Late-September 2020 - switched to 20mg Paroxetine as Mirtazapine exacerbated RLS. October 2020 - stopped Paroxetine because of worsening RLS, muscle twitching and general restlessness.

Mid-October 2020 - Switched to 50mg Sertraline. Restlessness, muscle twitching and other symptoms even worse. Stopped taking it on 18 November following advice from GP - took every other day for a week before stopping completely. Mid-November 2020 - GP prescribed Propranolol to take as and when required for anxiety. Have only taken a few times as it makes me very light headed. January 2020 - currently taking magnesium citrate powder in evenings to help with RLS. Also taking high strength omega-3 fish oil.