Debs: in need of help

Debs

So I've been through the mill since May 2019.. Med free prior to this was put on and pulled off so many meds since then including zoloft ambien high dose, switched from klonopin to valium. Im currently on 9.5mg V and 900mg gabapentin.. In constant pain nerve and muscle. Severe abdominal pains DP and Dr.. Everything went raally badly when I was taken off 50mg zoloft in 2 weeks that was several months ago but I also abused ambien for about 3 months as was the only thing that could calm me down from having. Constant panic.. I now am left with severe pains and a host of neurological and mental symptoms. I'm 37 and desperate to have a family.. Please help. 

2019 Zopiclone 7.5mg, Zoloft 100mg, Clonazepam 1.5mg Seroquel 75mg, Lyrica 75mg. Zop switch to Ambien 10mg (abused ambien 70mg daily 3 months)

2020 Ambien 70mg taper 5mg weekly to May. 1mg Clonazepam to 15mg Valium, Lyrica 75mg taper 25mg weekly(June). Seroquel taper 25mg weekly (June). Zoloft 75mg taper 25mg weekly (July). Valium taper. 9.5mg & 900mgGabapentin 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Debs: in need of help
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Debs.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Please be sure to include the date you stopped the Zoloft and the dosage you were on when you stopped.  When we have that information we'll be in a better position to help you.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

We're a site for tapering off psychiatric drugs and dealing with withdrawal.  Are you interested in tapering either your Valium or Gabapentin?

We recommend tapering no more than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

When did the constant nerve pain, muscle pain, abdominal pain and DP (depersonalization?) begin?  Was it when you were then of Zoloft in two weeks or was it before, when you were put on and pulled off many drugs?  If you can give an approximate date, that would be helpful.  Most doctors don't believe in withdrawal and misdiagnose withdrawal symptoms as mental illness and put their patients on more drugs.  Going off Zoloft in two weeks would definitely put you at risk of withdrawal.  

So that you have a better idea of what you're very likely experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal and the healing process.

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, answer my quetions, ask your own questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi, I think I have a good idea of what you’re going through with the pain. I actually had an immediate reaction to starting Sertraline (Zoloft) where I had major pain in all my limbs and felt like I was getting bruises all over my body. At first it felt like it could be in my bones or just random tissue, it was hard to tell, but eventually I ended up getting muscle cramps and pain. I also had terrible joint pain. I quit cold turkey, reinstated about a month later then quit cold turkey again, and this all made it so much worse. I’m not sure where you are as far as being off the meds, but I’ve been off a little over 6 months and the pain is about half what it was about two months ago. It’s mostly gone in my limbs (still have it in my knees). I do still have it in my lower back and hip muscles, but when I look back to how bad things were when I was on Sertraline and the first four months or so after I quit, I can’t even imagine going through that again. I think I’m going in the right direction now and have faith that eventually the pain will go away. 

400mg SAM-e from ~Feb 10, 2018 to somewhere around July, 2018
25 mg Sertraline from January 2020 to mid April 2020

Cold turkey mid April 2020

Re-instated 25 mg Sertraline from early May 2020 for next three weeks then cold turkey again.

Currently on no meds or supplements.

Clonazepam 1.5mg June 2019( switched to 15mg valium Feb 19

Zopiclone June 2019- Oct 19

Ambien 20-20mg August 2019. Started abusing ambien up to 70mg daily December 2019-Feb 2020. Fast Tapered 5mg per week. Off ambien since May 2020

Zoloft 100mg July 2019 tapered off June 2020- 25mg per week

Seroquel 75mg night August 2019= May 2020

Now tapering 9.5mg valium 

On 900mg gabapentin daily

12.5mg phenerghan 

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

2019 Zopiclone 7.5mg, Zoloft 100mg, Clonazepam 1.5mg Seroquel 75mg, Lyrica 75mg. Zop switch to Ambien 10mg (abused ambien 70mg daily 3 months)

2020 Ambien 70mg taper 5mg weekly to May. 1mg Clonazepam to 15mg Valium, Lyrica 75mg taper 25mg weekly(June). Seroquel taper 25mg weekly (June). Zoloft 75mg taper 25mg weekly (July). Valium taper. 9.5mg & 900mgGabapentin 

8 hours ago, SandCastle said:

Hi, I think I have a good idea of what you’re going through with the pain. I actually had an immediate reaction to starting Sertraline (Zoloft) where I had major pain in all my limbs and felt like I was getting bruises all over my body. At first it felt like it could be in my bones or just random tissue, it was hard to tell, but eventually I ended up getting muscle cramps and pain. I also had terrible joint pain. I quit cold turkey, reinstated about a month later then quit cold turkey again, and this all made it so much worse. I’m not sure where you are as far as being off the meds, but I’ve been off a little over 6 months and the pain is about half what it was about two months ago. It’s mostly gone in my limbs (still have it in my knees). I do still have it in my lower back and hip muscles, but when I look back to how bad things were when I was on Sertraline and the first four months or so after I quit, I can’t even imagine going through that again. I think I’m going in the right direction now and have faith that eventually the pain will go away. 

Hi thanks for your response. Yes I have all those pains but unsure if it was the zoloft which was discotinued in june/July or if the pain is from the fast ambien taper? Or the benzo tolerance?? Im so confused and scared!! Wish I'd never touched a single med... We're u able to function when you were on the zoloft?? How long did u take it for?? Are u on other meds? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for creating your drug signature.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

On 12/7/2020 at 4:18 AM, Debs said:

Hi thanks for your response. Yes I have all those pains but unsure if it was the zoloft which was discotinued in june/July or if the pain is from the fast ambien taper? Or the benzo tolerance?? Im so confused and scared!! Wish I'd never touched a single med... We're u able to function when you were on the zoloft?? How long did u take it for?? Are u on other meds? 

The only prescription med I’ve ever been on for more than two weeks is Sertraline/Zoloft. I was on an antibiotic right before that, and maybe that contributed, but everything I experienced seemed to line up with the timing of starting and quitting Sertraline. I also wish I’d never touched the stuff! As far as being able to function, I didn’t really have a choice since I had a toddler and a newborn. I started the med this year in January 2020, about 6 weeks after I gave birth, because my doctor thought I might have postpartum anxiety. The pain started almost immediately, maybe within 1 to 2 days after starting. Between the pain and the fear of what might be causing it, it was really hard to get out of bed and get through daily tasks with with two kids under two, but my husband worked full time (same with my parents and his parents) and I was on maternity leave, so I had to do it. But there were so many times I thought I wouldn’t get through it. I was also lucky because by the time I went back to work, the quarantine had already started and I’ve been working from home ever since. But there were many times I struggled even with that. This all started in January and I don’t think I could have handled a full time on-site job until maybe October. At this point the worst of the pain has been gone for about two months, and even when it comes back in a wave, it’s only a shadow of what it used to be. I hope you can get off all meds soon, get past the worst of it, and are able to start your family soon!

400mg SAM-e from ~Feb 10, 2018 to somewhere around July, 2018
25 mg Sertraline from January 2020 to mid April 2020

Cold turkey mid April 2020

Re-instated 25 mg Sertraline from early May 2020 for next three weeks then cold turkey again.

Currently on no meds or supplements.