jfrank17

jfrank17

Jfrank,

Found this thread on Akathisia or Agitation. Hope it may contain some useful info.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/32-akathisia-or-agitation/page__st__20__gopid__26587#entry26587

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jfrank17

• Altostrata

• Skyler

• Barbarannamated

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Barb. Sometimes I do searches but I don't get any hits. Not sure if I'm putting it in wrong or what.

I'm not sure if I feel better or worse to learn of the definite cause for what I'm dealing with.

This makes me wonder now if it's possible for me to restabilize on Celexa or if it will only exacerbate it :(.

Self-tapered off Effexor after being on for 9 years around 2001

Medication-free until 2006

In 2006 went through divorce and placed on Celexa 20 mg and p.r.n. clonazepam

Stayed on 20 mg until 2011 when began cutting in half and taking 10 mg (Didn't really notice withdrawal symptoms)

Began to plan to come off in spring/summer 2012, continuing 10 mg Jan/Feb.

Tapered to 5 mg March/April (about 1 week mild withdrawal symptoms).

Tapered to sliver of tablet, estimated 2-2.5 mg in (1-2 weeks of withdrawal symptoms progressively diminishing and then stopping)

May 18, 2012: Stopped Celexa.

July 5, 2012: Reinstated Celexa at 5 mg.

July 13, 2012: Increased Celexa to 10 mg.

August 30, 2012: Increased Celexa 15 mg.

• Administrator

Yes, akathisia is an unfortunately common sign of severe withdrawal syndrome.

Have you tried increasing to 10mg Celexa?

If you go to the emergency room, check into the psychiatric ward, or see most doctors, it's likely they will load you up on drugs. Be careful with this. Few doctors understand withdrawal syndrome.

If you go into the hospital, you will be signing away your free will in terms of deciding what medication you want to take.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I'm not one to advise on that. Alto will have suggestions.

Do you have any beta blockers - propanolol, etc.? A low dose of that may help to get you thru this. I didnt get to read that whole thread but saw there were suggestions for supplements for RLS near end.

Does any activity help? Do you have a rocking chair or glider/swing? Sometimes just the little motion can be comforting and not too taxing.

I agree with Alto regarding the hospital. I've had many moments of feeling an urge/need to go to hospital because it's *supposed* to be the place to seek help. But then I quickly recall my horrid experiences there that have left me with hospital/doctor phobia.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I haven't tried increasing yet. Been a bit afraid to. I was really wavery and wondering about the hospital yesterday, but now that I feel like I see what is going on more I feel a definite strong aversion to it. I have printed out info on akathisia I am going to take to my doctor's appointment on July 30th.

It's really no wonder I was feeling so incredibly crazy and out of control.

I'm willing to try 10 mg Celexa if there's a chance it would help with the symptoms. I feel so scared of taking anything lately, which I guess is understandable. I used to have some tea in the morning, and sometimes sip a glass of wine at night. I've completely abandoned those things because I just feel everything exacerbates how horrible I feel.

Oh, I also thought about asking about low dose propranolol but again am a bit nervous about adding another med in the mix. However I am desperate to find some relief in the safest way that I can.

Stayed on 20 mg until 2011 when began cutting in half and taking 10 mg (Didn't really notice withdrawal symptoms)

Tapered to sliver of tablet, estimated 2-2.5 mg in (1-2 weeks of withdrawal symptoms progressively diminishing and then stopping)

• Administrator

jfrank, you might try increasing to 10mg very gradually, 1mg every 4 days. If the increase makes you feel better, you know that's the right direction.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

jfrank, you might try increasing to 10mg very gradually, 1mg every 4 days. If the increase makes you feel better, you know that's the right direction.

I think I will try that next. Thank you Alto, for your suggestions and encouragement.

I found diphenhydramine (Benadryl in US, Nytol in UK) useful for akathisia. I used it when I was in the midst of w/d and it really helped. It makes you drowsy though so don't use it if you have to work, etc.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

• 4 weeks later...

It's been awhile since I updated. It seems like I have finally mostly stabilized now on 10 mg Celexa. I had my appointment last week with my psychiatrist and described to her everything that had happened. I did not state my opinions on what the cause was, but after I finished describing to her all that had happened, she said she felt it was withdrawal. She was very sympathetic and said that what I went through truly sounded horrible. She asked what I would like to do and I said I'd like to just stay steady for awhile on 10 mg and that we would meet back up in 3 months and decide from there what next. She agreed that the next time I taper I will go very very slowly and carefully. She said we could try a Prozac bridge too but my preference I think is to slowly taper Celexa (over months rather than weeks this time) rather than put a new substance in the mix.

I have not had a panic attack now for about 2 weeks. Appetite is back to normal and sleep is better. Still feel some uneasiness/nervousness in the morning for awhile at times but nothing out of control. The days seem to pass normally now instead of seeming unbearably long.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have not had a panic attack now for about 2 weeks. Appetite is back to normal and sleep is better. Still feel some uneasiness/nervousness in the morning for awhile at times but nothing out of control. The days seem to pass normally now instead of seeming unbearably long.

Hi Frank.. great to hear your doc is on board and that you have had no new panic attacks. Good sleep is a huge plus and must make the morning uneasiness easier to cope with. Great update.. Posted Image

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Thank you Schuyler. I'm definitely relieved that my doctor is understanding about the withdrawal. It would make things more stressful and difficult if she believed I had relapsed and was trying to pressure me to stay on the med or even to take more of it.

• Administrator

That's very good news, jfrank.

Celexa comes in a liquid form. When you decide to taper, it will make the process easier.

If you can recommend your doctor, please post in Recommended doctors, therapists, or clinics

Good news, jfrank17. I'm glad you're feeling better. :)

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am suddenly having panic waves out of the blue today. Well I felt some irritation and uneasiness last night but it passed. Now today I've had the panic and feeling of loss of control again for the first time in weeks. Is it something to do with the med issue again or could it be a regular anxiety flare that is more intense because of my fear of losing control like before? Any insight appreciated.

• Administrator

That sounds like some kind of chemical influence, jfrank. When your nervous system has had the shock of severe withdrawal, little glitches may occur here and there.

Whatever it is, restrain your tendency to add to it with your fear of losing control. Try viewing it as "oh, there's one of those pesky neuro-emotions," breathe deeply, and manage it.

Thank you Alto. The fear of it "coming back" was intense and is still lingering a bit. I'm trying my best to just continue on and not freeze up and get caught up in the fear cycle.

Edit: Also I've been thinking, I may have forgotten my citalopram yesterday. I keep trying to remember for sure but I may have missed the dose yesterday. In the old days it wouldn't have made any difference but I'm guessing right now it could.

• Moderator Emeritus

Edit: Also I've been thinking, I may have forgotten my citalopram yesterday. I keep trying to remember for sure but I may have missed the dose yesterday. In the old days it wouldn't have made any difference but I'm guessing right now it could.

Hi jfrank.. are you using a med minder. When tapering tablets I would put out a week in advance and this would keep track of doses taken. Easier than relying on my memory!

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Hi jfrank.. are you using a med minder. When tapering tablets I would put out a week in advance and this would keep track of doses taken. Easier than relying on my memory!

After this little episode I am going to get something like that. Before like I said when I was regularly on the med I didn't really notice if I missed a dose but I really think that's what happened this time. I'm just not neurologically stabilized enough to handle a sudden miss like that I bet.

• Moderator Emeritus

After this little episode I am going to get something like that. Before like I said when I was regularly on the med I didn't really notice if I missed a dose but I really think that's what happened this time. I'm just not neurologically stabilized enough to handle a sudden miss like that I bet.

I was taking one dose of Lyrica a day before I ran into problems with it, now it's QID. Sigh...

Hi, I am suddenly having panic waves out of the blue today. Well I felt some irritation and uneasiness last night but it passed. Now today I've had the panic and feeling of loss of control again for the first time in weeks. Is it something to do with the med issue again or could it be a regular anxiety flare that is more intense because of my fear of losing control like before? Any insight appreciated.

I can relate to this fear of losing control. I'm terrified my akathisia/RLS will become so bad that I'll end up jumping off a roof or something (it's been known to happen, apparently). But the truth is, even at it's worst, I was still in control, and it has never gotten as bad as that since, even when it flares up now and again.

I was taking one dose of Lyrica a day before I ran into problems with it, now it's QID. Sigh...

Schuyler, do you mean you have to keep going up on the med to maintain stabilization? I'm having some of those uncomfortable feelings again. I can't believe I went weeks without this and suddenly it happens again today.

JF...

I read about after taking medicine to turn the bottle upside down so we know we took it.

And yes the fear of "it" returning is a biggy. Of course we are afraid of that. Why wouldn't we be.

Like Alto said if you can tell yourself in a compassionate manner that it is the WD and it will pass, it may pass sooner.

This is all WD that you are going thru. It's not you.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Thank you Nikki. I think I'm just distressed because I thought after over a month now on 10 mg and feeling stable that I was safe from "it" that horrible feeling of losing control :(. I guess a missed dose could have shaken things up though.

• Administrator

Definitely!

• Moderator Emeritus

Schuyler, do you mean you have to keep going up on the med to maintain stabilization? I'm having some of those uncomfortable feelings again. I can't believe I went weeks without this and suddenly it happens again today.

Ah no.. I'm only talking about the frequency of dosing. For example, with Lyrica, I took everything at one time, now I divide the same amount into four doses. So, 150 mg dose, at QID would be 37.5 mgs every 6 hours. You may not need to dose more frequently.. the half life of Lyrica is 5 to 6.5 hrs. I would need to look up trazadone.. I'm not sure. I only mentioned the drug I take to illustrate.

Regarding symptoms, sounds like you are having a 'wave', a temporary uptick. Miserable, but not anything to worry about as it should abate. I have not read your entire thread, but it sounds like you were doing much better, and the bottom sort of fell out the last day or two?

Ah no.. I'm only talking about the frequency of dosing. For example, with Lyrica, I took everything at one time, now I divide the same amount into four doses. So, 150 mg dose, at QID would be 37.5 mgs every 6 hours. You may not need to dose more frequently.. the half life of Lyrica is 5 to 6.5 hrs. I would need to look up trazadone.. I'm not sure. I only mentioned the drug I take to illustrate.

Regarding symptoms, sounds like you are having a 'wave', a temporary uptick. Miserable, but not anything to worry about as it should abate. I have not read your entire thread, but it sounds like you were doing much better, and the bottom sort of fell out the last day or two?

Thanks for the clarification there. Yes I was really stable from an anxiety standpoint. I have had periods of feeling a bit flat or down but nothing that felt too alarming. Last night I suddenly began feeling restless and irritable and maybe a tad anxious. I headed to bed to read a bit and it eased off. Then today I suddenly began having those old waves of panic/dread that seem to have no rhyme or reason. But after thinking about it I think I missed my citalopram dose yesterday so hoping and praying I'll re-stabilize in the next day or so. Scary stuff to feel some of those old feelings again.

Had a somewhat difficult night. I was able to sleep but off and on would wake up IN a panic-like attack, my heart would be racing and my body feel hot. After laying and breathing a few minutes it would ease and I could sleep again. It seemed to happen every couple hours. This morning was difficult to face. I feel a bit weepy and shaken. It still feels unreal that I could go from feeling so stable to a mess in 2 days. Just writing it here to express how it feels. It helps to say it somewhere. I'm afraid of burdening my friends and family with all this again.

• Moderator Emeritus

Had a somewhat difficult night. I was able to sleep but off and on would wake up IN a panic-like attack, my heart would be racing and my body feel hot. After laying and breathing a few minutes it would ease and I could sleep again. It seemed to happen every couple hours. This morning was difficult to face. I feel a bit weepy and shaken. It still feels unreal that I could go from feeling so stable to a mess in 2 days. Just writing it here to express how it feels. It helps to say it somewhere. I'm afraid of burdening my friends and family with all this again.

Hi jr.. the wonders if windows and waves, they can come out of nowhere, or as in this case, can be triggered by a missed dose. Once you set them off they may go on for awhile, but will remit. And given it was one missed dose, probably sooner rather than later. Over time, the pattern subsides and the windows come less and are milder until they are no more. One subtle and sneaky aspect, they can become somewhat more intense just before they fade.

I'm really sorry you are having such a tough time right now, but glad to know you find this a good place to vent. We are all pulling for you and hope to read you are feeling better soon. ~S

Went to my psychiatrist today because I was really having a hard time and I wanted her advice and thoughts. I told her what happened. She agreed the missed dose triggered the withdrawal syndrome again. She says I seem to be one of the most sensitive people she has known. I told her about this board and the neuro-sensitivity issues. She said that did sound plausible, saying that not much study has been done about all of this. She asked the name of the board and I let her know.

We agreed I'll continue on the 10 mg this week with a check-in next week to see if I have stabilized. We want to do that before we try any increases since I was stable until this incident.

Feeling reassured, glad to have talked to her, and that I can call her and get help if I need to.

I need to add her to the recommended doctor list.

I seemed to sleep better last night, but still having the waves today. They may be a little more muted. It's hard to tell because I feel more worn and tired today. Still feeling pretty uncomfortable and having to try to not "fight" the feelings but accept them as calmly as I can.

• Moderator Emeritus

I seemed to sleep better last night, but still having the waves today. They may be a little more muted. It's hard to tell because I feel more worn and tired today. Still feeling pretty uncomfortable and having to try to not "fight" the feelings but accept them as calmly as I can.

Try accepting the fact you want to fight the feelings.. go with them, don't try to avoid the fighting, so doing will keep you hooked.

Try accepting the fact you want to fight the feelings.. go with them, don't try to avoid the fighting, so doing will keep you hooked.

Good idea Schuyler. There always seems to be two parts to this: The actual withdrawal and the emotional struggles it invokes that can make it that much harder.

Sounds like you have found a good doctor. That must offer some peace of mind. Good to hear they're out there.

Missing a dose by a few hours can trigger WD. It can take a full 24 hours of more to level out again, but you will.

Hang in there.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Missing a dose by a few hours can trigger WD. It can take a full 24 hours of more to level out again, but you will.

Hang in there.

It seems to be taking days for me :(. I think I'm a bit better than the first couple days but I definitely don't feel level again yet.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thinking of you. Quiet thoughts for a good night's sleep!

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.