SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

jfrank17

jfrank17

I did sleep pretty well last night, but I'm feeling anxious/hot-flash like this morning and I'm confused and discouraged about how 1 missed dose on Monday could still have me destabilized 5 days later. I'm not sure how that works and I'm nervous about it.

Self-tapered off Effexor after being on for 9 years around 2001

Medication-free until 2006

In 2006 went through divorce and placed on Celexa 20 mg and p.r.n. clonazepam

Stayed on 20 mg until 2011 when began cutting in half and taking 10 mg (Didn't really notice withdrawal symptoms)

Began to plan to come off in spring/summer 2012, continuing 10 mg Jan/Feb.

Tapered to 5 mg March/April (about 1 week mild withdrawal symptoms).

Tapered to sliver of tablet, estimated 2-2.5 mg in (1-2 weeks of withdrawal symptoms progressively diminishing and then stopping)

May 18, 2012: Stopped Celexa.

July 5, 2012: Reinstated Celexa at 5 mg.

July 13, 2012: Increased Celexa to 10 mg.

August 30, 2012: Increased Celexa 15 mg.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jfrank17

• Altostrata

• Skyler

• Barbarannamated

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Well, it was a hit to your nervous system. But you'll get over it.

Practice staying calm and not adding to anxiety, please, jfrank. Remind yourself: I'm going to be okay, I'm going to be okay.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you Alto. Your words of reason are always calming to me.

Stayed on 20 mg until 2011 when began cutting in half and taking 10 mg (Didn't really notice withdrawal symptoms)

Tapered to sliver of tablet, estimated 2-2.5 mg in (1-2 weeks of withdrawal symptoms progressively diminishing and then stopping)

Still having difficulties :(. I may check back with my doctor in the next day or two.

• Moderator Emeritus

Still having difficulties :(. I may check back with my doctor in the next day or two.

Hi jfrank, you set a wave in motion. When I did this sort of thing the symptoms would get worse just as they were about to remit. I went through 2 months of grief with Lyrica after I inadvertently jerked it around (tired to reduce with the every other day bit). Any time I made the slightest misstep it set every thing off again but it did stop!

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I did sleep pretty well last night, but I'm feeling anxious/hot-flash like this morning and I'm confused and discouraged about how 1 missed dose on Monday could still have me destabilized 5 days later. I'm not sure how that works and I'm nervous about it.

Hi jfrank,

Sorry you're suffering at the moment but it will level out again eventually.

My face went numb and I had insomnia for a few days after I took my dose 3 hours late. This has happened to me twice. I think it indicates our nervous systems are still fragile after the withdrawal, that's why I'm holding on the current dose for a good while to see of things settle down.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

• Moderator Emeritus

I've just read this thread through as it jumped out at me, jfrank17 I think you're doing incredibly well, I think you did right to reinstate the 10mg Celexa in the end and hopefully you will continue to stabilize. You seem so self aware and insightful about your situation, sounds like you're lucky with your doctor as well (most of them are rubbish about withdrawal).

Just wanted to say that I can really relate to everything you've experienced, especially the akathisia/extreme anxiety states and the confusion.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

Thank you guys for the encouragement. I did seem to level out a bit more, though today had a few hard times. I keep pushing forward and telling myself I will get more and more stable with time. I come here to read the words of understanding and it always helps. My doctor and I agreed that I'd like to wait a good while before attempting to taper again. I'd like to be stable a few months, maybe 6 months or so, and then do a much more careful and meticulous taper. I had been thinking of trying to taper sooner but after this setback I realize I definitely need more time and to not try to rush.

• Moderator Emeritus

Well I can certainly never be accused of rushing my taper, I'm in my fifth year, I've sometimes held a dose for months, it really really doesn't matter, you have to be comfortable.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

Well I can certainly never be accused of rushing my taper, I'm in my fifth year, I've sometimes held a dose for months, it really really doesn't matter, you have to be comfortable.

Thank you for the reassurance Strawberry. I've felt bad about how much I've had to "backtrack."

• Moderator Emeritus

jfrank, i know only too well that 'backtrack' feeling - i just want to kick myself when it happens. I am now hopefully on a much slower taper. I say hopefully, because i have said it before!!!

I think though sometimes it takes me a while to really 'get it', to really understand what is happening. They say it takes seven times to give up smoking - maybe it's the same for SSRI's for me LOL

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

I am still dealing with days of high anxiety and akathisia-like feelings. I don't think it is as bad as in June/July, but it was hard to deal with after basically having over 3 weeks free of it.

I think the progress I have made now is that I'm beginning to accept more that I'm going to have this for awhile and nothing can make it just magically stop. The 10 mg did seem to make it stop for awhile but it could still have been a window and not FULLY 'just the med' making me "better." This is such a journey and it's so difficult because when you are experiencing it, you need reassurance so badly and yet it's hard to believe those assurances that things will be okay. It's so difficult to try to stay away from feelings like "I don't want to feel this way!" that only lead to more panic.

Sometimes I feel so very agitated and anxious. Sometimes so very depressed and weary. It's very difficult living by myself while going through this. I do have people to reach out to but not much opportunity to sit with people face to face (especially since I also work from home).

I just needed to share some of these thoughts. Thank you again for everyone's support here. It means more than I can express.

• Administrator

Perhaps you might increase the Celexa slightly, to maybe 12mg.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Over a week ago I actually did increase to 15. I'm not sure why I didn't mention it here except that I felt guilty somehow about it. I felt pretty level for a few days and then the past 3 days have had difficulties again. But it has still just been a week.

• Administrator

Don't feel guilty, take care of yourself.

The flare-up of symptoms may be because of the fluctuation in your dosage.

Thanks Alto. I guess guilt is a common feeling in dealing with all this stuff as I've seen others mention it. I keep telling myself I just need a bit of time to level back out and to go with the flow.

• Moderator Emeritus

I would also encourage you to do as much as you can with nonmedical support. Face to face time with other human beings has a huge impact on my sense of wellbeing and on the severity of my withdrawal symptoms.

This isn't just imaginary. (Although as it turns out, brain imaging studies are showing us that "just imaginary" isn't even just imaginary, although that's another subject.) We are designed by evolution to be social beings. In our hunter-gatherer evolutionary past, an isolated individual was either lost, or rejected by the tribe, and either way was at high risk for not surviving. So it makes sense that there would be hard-wired hormonal and neurotransmitter reinforcement for staying socially connected.

I've been very isolated at times in my recovery--when I started my taper I had just moved to an entirely different part of the country where I knew nobody, and started a new job. It's gotten better over my two and a half years here.

I know it's hard to think where to start, but if you can get yourself connected with others at all---through Meetup, or church, or volunteer work, or just going to a coffeehouse or the library--Even talking on the phone with people you meet through Internet forums is a step better than just writing.

This has been a struggle for me in the past but well worth working through.

And other supportive lifestyle habits are important too. Make sure you're getting regular exercise and sunshine, stay on a regular sleep/wake/eat schedule, avoid stimulants, eat a healthy diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, avoid sugar and refined carbs.

If you can manage your symptoms without increasing your dose of meds further, you'll be glad you did.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Rhi, I definitely agree with the wisdom of your words. I know when I talk to my friend over the phone I often feel everything seem to settle down within me and I feel more like myself. Being isolated a lot has made things more difficult. I do work 2 jobs from home from morning until 7 p.m. Tues-Sat so Sun/Mon are my days of opportunity to get out. You would think I couldn't wait to get out but lately it's been hard to be motivated to do it.

Nevertheless I am making efforts, even if only something like going to the library. I admit some days I just give in to my inclination to not bother. My parents live an hour away, and I am going out to spend the day there tomorrow. I have a dear friend coming to stay with me during Christmas/New Year's so I have that to look forward to.

Finances make things hard and I live in a sort of rural residential area (no real stores/commercialization here) that I have to drive a bit to get somewhere versus if I just lived right in a bigger town. Still, I know I could make more effort on some things. Thanks for getting my mind mulling these things over more.

• Moderator Emeritus

connection with others is so important. I think we are wired to be social beings and benefit immensely from other people contact.

i often go to a knitting group in a local coffee shop - it serves three purposes: firstly it gets me connected to people, secondly knitting is a form of therapy for me - i look at every row taking me closer to wellness and thirdly it is very meditative - even with a group.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd drop in for an update. I have gradually come to feel stable again. Though the last setback never got as bad as the initial withdrawal, it did shake me that I could have a setback even after feeling like I had stabilized again on the citalopram. I don't dwell on it all as much lately. I've gotten better at taking things a day at a time and pushing on even when I feel uneasy. Rather than "hoping it won't happen again" I feel more like I'm able to trust that I'll find a way to get through it if and when I have another flare.

• Moderator Emeritus

That's great news Jfrank17, I'm glad you're feeling much more stable and positive, and I hope you're not feeling guilty anymore about the going to 15mg, it's important to feel as well as you can at whatever dose it takes before thinking about a taper. I had to reinstate many times in the past myself.

Thanks Strawberry :). I don't think I feel any guilt over it now. I understand I need to get to a more stable point for a while before I can begin working on my goal again.

• Moderator Emeritus

great news jfrank - sounds like you are getting a hold on things.

be gentle to yourself