SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

shambambo: withdrawal symptoms upon cold turkey

shambambo

Hello,

This is my first post and I need to hear some questions answered for my wellbeing. My short story is, I was experiencing health anxiety for a terrible disease and got tested for it 3 times over the last year, all came back clean so I have no medical reason to experience these symptoms apparently. Apart from this, I have had social anxiety and generalized anxiety disorder for at least 10 years. 

So, I want to talk about my process. After all tests being clean, they urged me to a psychiatrist I wish I never had met. He prescribed  I used trifluoperazine, medazepam and paroxetine based pills simultaneously for about a year. He said they were not high dose so I won't experience any side effects (lol). Paxil was 20mg, the antipsychotic was 1mg and medazepam was 15mg. I didn't realize how addictive and altering these things were when I was using them until one day. I couldn't feel like myself. My heart pounded differently than before, like it wasn't my own heart if you know what I mean. I felt as a different person. I got even worried after reading people's terrible side effect stories and just CT'ed all my drugs. This happened in august this year. I directly felt brain zaps and nausea within the first week. I still do to some degree but not as bad since brain zaps are fortunately gone. I got so worried about myself my health anxiety came back roaring and I got tested for the thing scared me, guess what, another clean bill. I said alright to myself, time to move on. 

Tingling, burning, numbing paresthesias went on until 2 months before from now. I felt "wow, finally it is over then.". 

After a period of short relief (about 2 weeks), there comes a terrible terrible agitation. I felt so uncomfortable to a degree that was unbearable. Anyways, it has been this way for me for the last 2 months, but this terrible agitation and stress is not the only thing. I also feel electricity, vibration feelings almost constantly on and in my legs, feet and when it gets too bad, I can feel it everywhere. I just want to move my limbs constantly. When it gets really bad, I literally feel my soul is leaving skin and coming back to its prison.  I just wanted to end myself for a while since it was impossible to live this way forever. Too bad that can make anyone crumble. Fortunately, urge to move my arms and torso is not that extreme, but I am shaking my legs as I am writing this passage. On the contrary, sometimes and quite without any rythm, I feel all these things are gone for a while, like I never experienced them before, like tabula rasa. However, mostly I am miserable for now.

I talked to my family. They don't tell me, but I feel they think all this feelings are in my head. They are right, I feel like short circuiting there. But I also don't think I am mad. I am just a man trying to endure this Chinese water torture. 

What I wonder is, is this akathisia? I know if I go to a psychiatrist again, they will prescribe me with another cursed pill which will fix one thing and break the other. I won't let that happen ever again since you can see even these sensations fail to do so. I also think since I CT'ed my drugs I am sure starting again will even more destabilize me and to what end? To taper them slowly to feel this terrible thing back again?

All I want to know is, is there anything similar in this story for anyone experiencing akathisia? I am just trying my best to cope.

Side Note: I am mad at this doctor because he gave me 3 different materials as if I was going to take cocktail mix. What the heck...

Thanks for inputs.

Edited by shambambo
Grammar mistakes.

My doctor made me start 3 pills at the same time. I have cold turkeyed them after a year and have struggled since. Drugs that I took:

1- Paxera 20 mg

2- Benzodiazepine 20 mg   | Tranko-Buskas

3- Trifluoperazine 1 mg

Start- September 2019

Ct- August 2020

• ChessieCat changed the title to shambambo: withdrawal symptoms upon cold turkey
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Shambambo.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Are you on any psychiatric drugs now?

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

The symptoms you describe are typical of psychiatric drug withdrawal.  It does sound as though you are having some improvements, and that you are healing.

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

Here is a link on akathisia:

Akathisia vs restlessness, anxiety, agitation - Symptoms and ...

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello I am here for update and I need some questions answered, please enlighten me.

So it has been about 5 months since I cold Turkeyed my 3 dreaded pills. As I stated before, about first 2 months I got terrible terrible paresthesias, brain zaps of all kinds. Majority of these symptoms have greatly reduced since, so I am happy about at least one thing about this process.

However, sense of internal vibration/tremor/electric feeling kicked with uncontrollable anxiety and terror after a while. Fluctuating, car engine humming style vibration which is almost always constant. Even right now as I am writing, I am experiencing this phenomenon. I can't stop moving and life is greatly out of my control. But I must say, vibrations are not like what they used to be 90% of time, milder and more docile. Stress and my constant fatigue apparently have impact on this thing. I don't feel any vibrations for a while after I wake up for example. It gets more uncomfortable towards sleep time. I feel this thing everywhere, in fluctuation.

Yesterday, I bought some bitter chocolate and fruits. After eating bitter chocolate or fruits, I felt happy for a while. Today I feel tight and I am experiencing migraine like symptoms including nausea, dizziness, and huge tension around my head as if I am going to explode all over, I believe a painful headache is ahead. I feel my vibrations as strong as they were when they began.

Another thing to update, I am experiencing sudden muscle soreness and occasional tightness all over, I feel fatigued. This has been a long issue with general fatigue, but I have never felt this lethargic for a long time. It doesn't feel like weakness, but more like tirednesss/aches appeared in all my body. My sleep has become very non restoring lately since I can't control my anxiety and fidgetiness at home. I feel too cold or too hot, there is not really a mid point. Especially after an episode like this, with "Omg a bear is eating my insides and all I can do is watch!" feeling, I get extremely shaky. And lastly, especially for the last couple of days, I really can't bear with any auditory or visual disturbance. It is difficult even to look at my monitor and I listen to music on really low volume.

I need your knowledge. Can chocolate or fruit impact me this badly? Before those, I felt relatively alright compared to the first days of withdrawal. Now I feel I reached level 2 with new stuff and it will get only worse from here.  Is it possible to experience new stuff even after 5 months of withdrawal? Some things feel like improving, another things emerge, then everything gets upside down. I have been suicidal lately as well. I was talking to my father on the phone, he knows my issues and he asked about my well being, I couldn't say anything and my eyes got watery. I thought that I had already felt almost every single terror this world could have offered in a really short period time, which felt like thousands of years to me. Loneliness of withdrawal is gnawing on my presence since nobody understands me. I told him afterwards that I felt my days could be limited. I don't really have any plans since I can't see the end of this year, even this month. Sorry for writing these stuff, I am completely aimless and praying for nothing but peace or peaceful ending. Thank you all for this great forum, this forum might be the only reason I haven't done anything irreversible. Much love. Any feedback related to my symptoms would be appreciated.

My doctor made me start 3 pills at the same time. I have cold turkeyed them after a year and have struggled since. Drugs that I took:

1- Paxera 20 mg

3- Trifluoperazine 1 mg

Start- September 2019

Ct- August 2020

• Moderator Emeritus

@shambambo

On 1/7/2021 at 1:44 PM, shambambo said:

Majority of these symptoms have greatly reduced since, so I am happy about at least one thing about this process.

That is a very encouraging sign of healing.

But I must say, vibrations are not like what they used to be 90% of time, milder and more docile.

Again, an excellent sign.

Today I feel tight and I am experiencing migraine like symptoms including nausea, dizziness, and huge tension around my head as if I am going to explode all over, I believe a painful headache is ahead. I feel my vibrations as strong as they were when they

Supplements and foods that are fine for those not in withdrawal can have a very strong effect on those of us who are.  Chocolate can have a double effect.  It contains caffeine and also sugar, both of which can have a big effect on your nervous system.  I would avoid chocolate.   Fruit can also have a large amount of sugar (whether it's "natural" or not makes no difference).  I would monitor your intake of fruit and avoid those fruits that cause your withdrawal symptoms to increase.

Regarding your drugs, what Benzodiazepam were you taking?

Is it possible to experience new stuff even after 5 months of withdrawal? Some things feel like improving, another things emerge, then everything gets upside down.

Yes, it's very possible.  5 months isn't very long in terms of withdrawal, and it's totally normal for new symptoms to appear along the way, then disappear, then appear agin.  Progress is not linear--it's up and down down, back and forth.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@Gridley

He prescribed me something called Tranko-Buskas. It contains medazepam, a long half-life benzodiazepine, and Hyoscine/Scopolamine, Anticholirgenic or opioid kind of thing if I am not wrong. More I think of my doctor, more furious I get to be honest. He drugged me with every different kind of sedative scientists have found so far. The most annoying thing is, if I hadn't found this site, I would've been milked by these either ignorant or evil people and the industry they serve. Hope they all collapse with this dreadful schtick soon.

1- Paxera 20 mg

3- Trifluoperazine 1 mg

Start- September 2019

Ct- August 2020

• 1 month later...

Hello, here to post my progress so far.

It has been a month since the last time I posted here. My symptom occurrence has changed.

For the first time after a very long time, I have been in a complete window for half a day. Literally my old self. However, it also is fluctuating and more unpredictable now than ever. I was talking about internal vibrations, shakiness etc. yesterday I had literally none for a substantial period of time with sleep deprivation on top. I think that was my first proper window. Vibrations now are usually subtle, not like earthquakes, although I still have those strong ones time to time. Tremors have lessened, but again still feel jelly occasionally. Overall, yesterday I was the happiest man on earth probably because I felt normal once again. 

I changed the way I approach things. I am trying to get better grip of my anxiety, because added onto my system's unstoppable terror/agitation/nervousness, my own fears act literally like gasoline on woodland fire. Now I am trying to get by as a calm guy. This way I better realize which fear is my anxiety, which one is my body. When my body is startled, I know it is a timed run, gotta wait for it to end, just like any other symptom. My akathisic movements are lessened too. There is still way to go. I also experience dizziness and headaches. Had my last bout 2 weeks ago, with less intensity.

As it is suggested, I am taking fish oil, magnesium and vitamin D. I already have severe vit d deficiency, so I have to fix it already. I don't think they are changing much, but I know my body definitely needs these nutrients. 

Another problem is getting fatigued easily. I haven't been training my body out for more than a year. Now I can't believe, but I was an avid weightlifter in my previous life. I feel changed, not as a person depersonalized, more like a guy who got a better grip of life. As much as it pains me to say, I know there are many people experiencing way worse things than I am currently going through. It is really sad since I know what I am going through is almost like a worst case scenario where you are in constant dismay of death and salad of unbridled symptoms. We experience symptoms of illnesses which many people, including our lovely pshchiatrists, would rush themselves to emergency crying for help. I am not mad at them, I just don't respect many of them them neither as people nor professionals. Playing 3 monkeys while people are suffering because they don't want to take of their horse blinders. Taking them off means so many of them unemployed and a whole science field that will never be trusted again, which I wouldn't be sad about. 

All in all, I am finally able to see a light, more than I can ask for. Hope things will keep improving. Only thing I want to fix is my sleep.

1- Paxera 20 mg

3- Trifluoperazine 1 mg

Start- September 2019

Ct- August 2020

same happened with me by docs and i also ct citanew 10mg in August 2020 and still facing the wds. please be patient everything will be alright and you will be able to enjoy life like before . just hold yourself during these  bad days. 

2010 citanew 10mg ct after 6 monthes

2015 citanew 10mg ct after 5 to 6 monthes

April 2020 xanax .25 mg ct after 1 month

April 2020 citanew 10mg ct August 2020

several wd , insomnia, anxiety, fear, muscle spasm, weakness on left side.

Hopefully we will get through and return to our lives as people even stronger. Thank you for your words.

1- Paxera 20 mg

3- Trifluoperazine 1 mg

Start- September 2019

Ct- August 2020

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, here for another monthly update and a question.

From the second month of my cold turkey, my worst symptom was akathisia and akathisia related internal strife with vibration feelings. 

I am happy to say that now that I have read many things in this forum, I surely am in withdrawal adventure. I have had pre existing problems before polydrugging, such as tinnitus and slight visual disturbances, which was inflicted after intoxication. These problems have never been life altering tho, constant and stable. 

My internal vibrations have ceased greatly. Also, I am not as on the edge as I had been for 5-6 months. I feel extremely tired though, it was literally a war state. At least, I can sleep more peacefully now.

I guess I am mostly dealing with aches and exhaustion at this point. Unfortunately, withdrawal's last striking point has been my tinnitus. Sometimes it gets bothersome, still not unbearable though. After experiencing non stop akathisia for months, these things feel like walk in the park. 

I am still dealing with the debris of this extremely anxious state. I don't feel vibrations most of the day thank God, but I still am feel inner restlessnes 24/7. It hasn't been easy after all. "It has been receding to almost normal state." would be the best description for me.

I used to have heart palpitations, balance issues, extreme shakiness etc., through windows, they get lessened. I still get jerks and shakes time to time, but not to the point I want to end myself for good. 

All in all, everything is more bearable now, I couldn't say this easily due to the nature of withdrawal, it is untrustworthy. One day you feel good, other day you feel the worst way ever. However, this time I feel internally, partly heealed. My windows are much more evident and waves are somewhat lighter.

I am dealing with headaches and muscle aches at the moment, but I understand this is a part of the process. Long, dreaded akathisia has taken its toll on me eventually. 

What I do is stretches, my main pressure points are my neck, around shoulders and my forehead area. During withdrawal, I have had terrible headaches in these spots, now they are just sore. I am resting quite a lot.

I take fish oil, I am taking vitamin d because of my deficiency, I take basil, turmeric, b2. DP/DR has elevated greatly, I feel like myself after a long time. 

My question is, I definitely feel greatly improved. However, I have had many autonomic symptoms throughout withdrawal. I have been greatly afraid of Parkinson's Disease. Just when I cold turkeyed first month, I went to neurologist because of constant paresthesias, fatigue in every part of my body. She checked my reflexes, my eyes, my balance and all. I got into EMG/NCS, all muscles were clean. Blood test came out severe vit d deficiency. I just want to be sure, my symptoms have been throughout my body all the time, never local. They abruptly came to be and are gradually vanishing it seems. As a side note, I haven't had many IBS problems either. This means my symptoms are close to drug induced parkinsonism, and not the idiopathic one right? I still am dealing with somewhat tight muscles and I get internal vibrations and also called internal tremor, althought not as strong and sometimes completely transparent, unfelt unless I greatly focus. I need some light on this subject from someone who knows better.        

1- Paxera 20 mg

3- Trifluoperazine 1 mg

Start- September 2019

Ct- August 2020

• 5 months later...

Hi @shambambo

I’m having a very similar experience to you with Akathisia. I just wanted to say your posts were great to read since it sounds like you improved a lot. I’m at the 5 month mark right now and my latest issues are constant vibrations in my body and arms that doesn’t feel like it’s ever going to go away. So seeing that you’ve improved is great to read.

Im also in the process of doing all those tests you described for Parkinson’s and what not. I don’t think we have it but it can feel that way at times for sure! 

I have severe burning skin and itching when in a wave, is this something you’re experiencing when you say paresthesias? 

5/24 - Started .5mg - 1 Klonopin as needed - 7/20 - Started Lexapro 5mg (still on Klonopin) - 7/27 - Lexapro 10mg - 8/5 - Started tapering Klonopin stabilizing on a daily dose of .25mg - 8/17 - Jumped at .065 (fast taper... but it seemed to work)

8/17 - Lexapro to 9mg (time to get rid of the next drug..) - 8/29 - Lexapro to 6.5mg from 9mg (probably too fast but I had only been on Lexapro for a month so I felt like I could get away with it), 9/8-9/13 - Had alcohol all week sporadically (1 to 2 drinks) because I was feeling so much better. I tested with 1 drink, got away with it, and just kind of got excited.. ugh 

9/13 - Lexapro was down to 2.78mg (so 8/29-9/13 6.5 to 2.78mg) way too fast I know. 9/14 - Had a dentist appointment, received probably Lidocaine - Had mild anxiety in the afternoon after Novocaine wore off - 9/15 - Feels like I'm starting back into acute benzo withdrawal, 9/16 - Definitely very back into acute something, feels like Benzo withdrawal with severe burning sensation on skin, doing laps around the house. 

9/17 - Updosed Lexapro to 3.9mg 

9/19 - Updosed Lexapro more to 4.46mg

9/21-9/22 - reinstated Klonopin for 2 days .03125 mg 

9/26-10/16 - reinstated Klonopin again .03125 mg-.046875mg 

9/29-12/1 - reinstated Klonopin again - 03215mg-.065mg Klonopin

12/1 - 0 Klonopin

3/2 - .67mg Lexapro - Having a terrible month

3/12 - 0 Lexapro - advised it may actually be causing adverse side effects

• 2 years later...
On 8/10/2021 at 12:22 AM, dadtobe said:

Hi @shambambo

I’m having a very similar experience to you with Akathisia. I just wanted to say your posts were great to read since it sounds like you improved a lot. I’m at the 5 month mark right now and my latest issues are constant vibrations in my body and arms that doesn’t feel like it’s ever going to go away. So seeing that you’ve improved is great to read.

Im also in the process of doing all those tests you described for Parkinson’s and what not. I don’t think we have it but it can feel that way at times for sure! 

I have severe burning skin and itching when in a wave, is this something you’re experiencing when you say paresthesias? 

Has your akathisia gone away yet? @dadtobe I’m struggling with it

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again