BobH: looking for guidance and support

BobH

My name is Bob. I am 70 yrs. old but very active for my age with commitment to fast walks in a hilly neighborhood, membership in a yoga organization, some meditation and upper body exercise. I’ve been retired almost 2 yrs. For several years I had suffered with depression though still handled the responsibilities of being a CEO of a non-profit agency for 28 yrs. The primary medication I was on was Effexor. In January 2020, I started to experience infrequent brain zaps at random times. They became more frequent in May and switched providers. They switched me to Lexapro and weaned me off Effexor which I then learned was the cause of the brain zaps. The brain zaps continued - about 6x/mo.and again at random times - taking a walk, riding a bike, driving to the store,etc. At the end of October I was weaned off Lexapro and attended an outpatient program connected to a hospital. There I was interviewed by a nurse practitioner and a psychiatrist. Neither of them were that familiar with brain zaps. The Psychiatrist prescribed Prozac (10mg) along with Klonezpram which I had been taking for several years (.5mg.) usually at bedtime. At times I would take another tablet during the day if feeling anxiety, but not more than 2. Now I’m taking the Prozac and Klonezpram after breakfast. At bedtime I am taking Klonezpram and Melatonin. I had been struggling with sleep but its been somewhat better.

All that being said I am still suffering from brain zaps at least 1x/week but sometimes 3x/week. I’m struggling finding a neuropsychiatrist to help me. I am getting desperate. Have asked my PCP to help me find a doctor at Beth Isreal Hospital and waiting to hear back. I’m getting more and more depressed and fearful of another attack.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed surname
  • Sunnyday changed the title to BobH: looking for guidance and support
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi BobH and welcome to SA,

Currently and previously:

Q1:  Did/do you take your dose of about the same time every day?

Q2:  Did/do you sometimes miss a dose?

Q3:  What other drugs were/are you taking at the same time as the antidepressants?  The zaps might possibly be from a drug interaction.

Q4:  Are you wanting to get off your drug/s?

We need more detailed information about your drug history.  Please follow these instructions and create your drug signature:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Please put ALL the drugs (including non-psychiatric drugs) you are currently taking in the Drug.com Interactions Checker and copy and paste the results OR copy and paste the URL link to the results.  Thank you.

This is your own Introduction topic which is the best place to ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

Please continue to update your Introduction topic so that we can follow your progress.

A message from Altostrata, SA's founder (there is a link to a recent interview with her in my signature):

On 11/7/2020 at 8:23 AM, Altostrata said:

This is such a vital community because members help each other. It wouldn't be what it is without that mutual kindness and attention.

One of the things that's very important to each person here is knowing that healing is possible. Please don't just go away when you feel better! "Pay it forward" by updating your Intro topic with your progress and come back to post your success story when you are finally clear of all those awful symptoms.

Nothing is more valuable to the community than seeing how recovery happens. You have lots of people hoping you'll get better. Please let them know when you do.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I take my dose of Prozac (10mg) and Klonezpram (.5) in the morning after breakfast. Yes I have missed a dose. Either way I get brain zaps.

When I was on Effexor I was also taking Klonezpram. When I was weaned off Effexor onto Lexapro they wanted me to also wean off Klonezpram. The problem was I couldn’t sleep very well. Brain zaps continued as I was weaned off Lexepro. Brain zaps are more frequent now! I don’t know what to do. Trying to get appointment with a Cognitive Neurologist at a major Boston Hospital. 

Other medications: Amlodopine for high blood pressure (5mg)

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for providing more information.

The following 2 quotes are from this website:

https://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms/brain-zaps.shtml

Brain zaps and head shivers are common anxiety symptoms that feel like your brain or head was suddenly jolted, buzzed, zapped, electric shocked, or had a tremor.

1. Side effects of medication

Some popular anti-anxiety and antidepressant medications have been reported to cause brain zaps and head zaps both when taking the medication and when withdrawing. Examples of these medications include:

• SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) including Zoloft (Sertaline), Lexapro (Escitalopram), and Celexa (citalopram);
  • SNRIs (Selective Serotonin and Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors) such as Effexor (Venlafaxine), and
  • benzodiazepine medications such as Ativan, Xanax, Valium, and Klonopin.

To name a few.

Other types of medications have also been linked to brain zaps. They include:

• ADHD medications such as Adderall (amphetamine salts)
  • MDMA (or ecstasy), an illegal recreational drug
  • Some sleep medications
  • And some combinations of drugs

18 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Q4:  Are you wanting to get off your drug/s?

SA is a site for tapering psychiatric drugs.

18 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

We need more detailed information about your drug history.  Please follow these instructions and create your drug signature:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Please create your drug signature.  Thank you.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Hi Bob, we have a lot in common, your post caught my eye and I would like to follow. I’m in a rush now but I’ll check back later. 

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato

• Moderator Emeritus
On 12/9/2020 at 3:46 AM, BobH said:

At bedtime I am taking Klonezpram and Melatonin. I had been struggling with sleep but its been somewhat better.

tips-to-help-sleep-so-many-of-us-have-that-awful-withdrawal-insomnia

Q:  How much melatonin are you taking?

Please see this topic:

melatonin-for-sleep

Especially this:

On 4/7/2011 at 11:26 AM, Altostrata said:

Large doses of melatonin do NOT aid sleep -- they might cause your oversensitive brain to wake up, instead.