SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

goitalone

Firstly, a huge thank you to all those responsible for creating, maintaining and helping on this site.  THANK YOU.  There is great comfort in knowing there is a warm and understanding support system of those in various stages of withdrawal.

In 2003 in my early 30s, I was proscribed Sertraline (25mg) by my GP for an anxiety/panic attack related to a stressful event in my personal life.   While an anxious child, it had never been suggested to me to see a therapist or consider any type of anti-anxiety or anti-depressant drug (AD).  Even after been given the AD, it was not recommended that I see a therapist.

I stayed on 25mg until 2005 when work-related stress required me to increase my dosage to 50 mg.  The work stress was quickly resolved (a couple of months), I reduced back to 25mg until 2012 when work-related stress again required me to increase my dose back to 50mg.  The work-related stress was quickly resolved (a couple of months) and I moved back down to 25mg.

In 2017, a work-related stressful event sent me into a tailspin and I had a breakdown.  I met with a psychiatrist and my Sertraline was increased from 25mg to 100mg over a short period of time.  The work-related event was protracted and after a few months I switched psychiatrists and the new psychiatrist switched me to 50mg of Pristiq and ultimately increased my dose to 150mg after I showed little improvement.  In addition to Pristiq the psychiatrist put me on Gabapentin (300mg) to help me sleep and Deplin (15mg) to assist in the effectiveness of the AD.  

In late 2018, I changed jobs and, given that the work related stress was no longer an issue, in April 2019, I began a slow taper down from 150mg of Pristiq to 12.5mg in June 2020.  At the same time, I started on 20mg of Prozac (2 weeks later stopping Pristiq entirely) to help bridge with the ultimate goal of tapering off an AD with a longer half life.   I don't recall when I stopped Gabapentin, but sometime between April 2019 and June 2020, I tapered off Gabapentin entirely.  In November, I began a month long taper of Deplin, reducing about 25% of the original amount each week.  Today (12/9/2020) is my first day not taking any Deplin.

Anyway, I am on this journey alongside you all.  I have had a lot of challenges along the way, lots of questions too.  I am happy to share my experiences and want to provide support wherever I can be of help.  

Best,

goitalone (meaning without ADs)

2003 - 2017 sertraline (25mg - 100mg), ativan (short term use), lorazepam (short term use), lyrica (150mg) 

2017 stopped sertraline after taper, stopped lyrica after taper, started pristiq (150mg) & gabapentin (300mg) & deplin (15mg).  2020 (Feb) stopped gabapentin after taper.  2020 (December) stopped deplin after taper

2020 (June) stopped pristiq after a taper from 52mg to 0 in 3 months & started fluoxetine (20mg)

2022 (January) on 8.7mg of Prozac.

2022 (March) on 6.4mg of Prozac

2022 (May) staying at 6.4mg for now; hit a very rough patch, went to 10mg then to 20mg at advice of Pdoc.

2022 (June) reduced Pozac to 0mg over 2 weeks & Pdoc switched me to 20mg of Duloxetine

2022 (July) Pdoc switched me to 40mg of Duloxetine

2022 (August) Pdoc switched me to 60mg of Duloxetine

2023 (Jan) got rid of Pdoc and dropped to 50mg of Duloxetine

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi goitalone and welcome,

And many thanks for getting your signature done.

Also sorry, and commiseration, on the work and other stressful event(s), with protracted natures.  That stinks, eh?  And breakdowns.  I can relate.  Much healing now though, for me, and very grateful for this site, and time.

It does sound like you may have been around WD communities, or found some information here, or elsewhere.  As you did a bridge/crossover, and then even a Deplin taper.  And then possibly a slower taper on the Gabapentin from April 2019- June 2020, if I am reading correctly in your narrative.

And so presently on just the Prozac at 20 mg?  Started June 2020?  With plans for a taper after some WD(withdrawal) stability.

You might just add the months that you got off your pristiq and gabapentin, to your signature.  That may prove helpful for us, going forward, to see more at a glance.

Please summarize your withdrawal history in your signature

^ this link should then have the link to get you back there, for further editing.

Awesome that you've joined us, and want to offer support as well.

I think I will just give you a few starting links today, as I'm not sure what you may have seen before joining.  And then we can address some of your questions as well.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Brain Remodelling

The windows and waves pattern of withdrawal

Our harm reduction, tapering model:

Have you been experiencing any WD symptoms?

So basically, when we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Welcome again, goitalone.  And now you don't have to, as far as support goes.  ❤️  This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions here regarding your tapering, give updates, and just keep a record of your journey.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

moderator manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

manymoretodays,

Thank you for the warm welcome.  

I also appreciate the sentiment regarding work, stress, etc.  Very common unfortunately.  🙃 These were not bad events but rather bad reactions to such events.  The last reaction resulted in being labelled with major depressive disorder, general anxiety disorder, suicidal ideation, and a complete breakdown.   Amazing what fear can do to a person.  So glad to hear you are healing!!  Knowing how hard this is, you should be incredibly proud of your resilience!!!  Amazing!!  Inspirational!!

I have been on the WD journey now since reducing Pristiq starting last year, so have been reading SA from the sidelines for a while.  Also fastidiously read Mad In America amongst other things.   Amazing resources that led to the tapering of Pristiq, Lyrica (forgot that one), Gabapentin, and Deplin.  Very helpful.  I will update my signature to include the information you suggested.  Not sure I even know the exact dates but will do my best. 

I am currently on Prozac 20mg since June 2020 with the goal of beginning a taper at the "right" time.  The reason I have not is that I don't yet feel consistently well, physically and mentally.   My presumption has been that although I bridged Pristiq with Prozac, this past June I stopped taking 12.5mg of Pristiq and am unsure if my struggles result from the elimination of Pristiq.  Or is the result of a very sensitive CNS due to WD and a "hectic" person and professional life.  Or, it is a relapse, and in all cases, I plan to give it time.  I am in no hurry to eliminate the AD's if a slow and steady taper minimizes the WD symptoms and sensitivity of my CNS to everyday stresses.  I have learned to be patient and let my body be a guide.  Ego aside as best I can (ha!)

Per SA I have been taking high quality Fish Oil and Magnesium.  Don't know if they do anything but since they are unlikely to cause any issues, I just keep taking them.  I also take a Vitamin B Complex and Vitamin D3.

I have read some of the articles you recommended and will read the rest this weekend.

Thank you for not letting me "go it alone", your support along this journey is appreciated more then words can express and I hope to do the same for others.  Our community grows larger and our voices louder and stronger!

Love, peace, healing and growth,

goitalone

2003 - 2017 sertraline (25mg - 100mg), ativan (short term use), lorazepam (short term use), lyrica (150mg) 

2017 stopped sertraline after taper, stopped lyrica after taper, started pristiq (150mg) & gabapentin (300mg) & deplin (15mg).  2020 (Feb) stopped gabapentin after taper.  2020 (December) stopped deplin after taper

2020 (June) stopped pristiq after a taper from 52mg to 0 in 3 months & started fluoxetine (20mg)

2022 (May) staying at 6.4mg for now; hit a very rough patch, went to 10mg then to 20mg at advice of Pdoc.

2022 (June) reduced Pozac to 0mg over 2 weeks & Pdoc switched me to 20mg of Duloxetine

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, goitalone said:

I also take a Vitamin B Complex and Vitamin D3.

Hi and welcome from me too,

Just be aware that some members find B vitamins activating, especially B6.

And just an FYI, D3 is a day time vitamin so it is better to take it in the morning.

There are many existing topics on SA, including ones for the above.  Use a search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

SA strongly encourages members to learn and use:

Non-drug techniques to cope

Now would be a good time to be checking these out and practising them instead of waiting until you have need of them.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

ChessieCat,

Thank you for the welcome and for your FYI on B6 and Vitamin D.  Noted. 

I also appreciate the link to the non-drug coping mechanisms. I am reading them.  

They certainly address many of the questions I have and it has helped to revisit them from time to time as the situation necessitates. 

It seems that there is so much that is unknown and while there are things we can do to mitigate some of the troughs it ultimately comes down to commitment and patience.  Not overthinking the “whys” because in many cases they are an unknown or irrelevant, reminding ourselves that the feeling states are impermanent and using the SA support system to help us stay the course.  I find dwelling on the whys only contribute to the pain. Not easy at all but never helpful. 

i like that SA includes therapeutic solutions as the guilt, shame, and fear that, in many cases, fuel our emotional fragility and also result from our withdrawal and thereby create a circle of suffering, need to be addressed for longer term healing

All the best,

goitalone

• Moderator Emeritus

You might check out this topic:

Best of SA - Favourite advice and insights

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thanks ChessieCat,

Will read. Although I dont feel great most of the time. Have the windows every now and then, I am starting to think about the Prozac taper. As in when to begin the 10% monthly reduction?  Do I wait until I feel stabilized after Pristiq withdrawal?  Per many of the posts that could take many more months or longer, or do I begin the slow taper and see how I feel?  If the same then what is the downside?  If worse then I could always reinstate.  Thoughts?

Thanks,

goitalone

• Moderator Emeritus

Do not rely on updosing to resolve a too fast taper off a drug because once your nervous system has been destabilised by withdrawal you might not return to your previous stability or it could take a long time.  We have members here who have tried to go too fast and it has ended up taking them longer to get off their drug than if they had gone at a nice steady rate.  Some have ended up on an additional drug, which then needs to be tapered.

Tips for tapering off fluoxetine (Prozac)

Prozac has a long half life, and whereas other shorter half life drugs get to full level in the blood after about 4 days and a bit longer to register in the brain, for Prozac this can take about 2 weeks.  You will need to take that into account when tapering.  See:

On 7/3/2011 at 4:11 AM, Altostrata said:

Prozac has the longest half-life of any SSRI. After you take it for a few days, half-life is about 16 days. Fluoxetine itself has a half-life of 2-4 days, but as it is processed, your body creates an active antidepressant metabolite, norfluoxetine, which has a half-life of 7-15 days. So Prozac keeps on extending its half-life as it is metabolized.

Regarding when to commence tapering Prozac.

On 12/10/2020 at 9:30 AM, goitalone said:

April 2019, I began a slow taper down from 150mg of Pristiq to 12.5mg in June 2020. 

Even though you tapered Pristiq it was a fast taper.  I was on 100mg Pristiq and took me 5 years to get below 1mg and I've still got another year to go.  If you jumped off at 12.5mg then that is a lot higher than we would have recommended. 

Early this year you also stopped gabapentin.

These posts might help:

Stability

WDnormal

Only you can make the decision about whether you feel stable.  However, if it was me I would be waiting for at least another 2 months before I even thought about tapering.  It is better to hold for longer so that you can start from a place of stability than to risk tapering too soon.  The other thing that I think would be a good idea is to start with a test reduction of a smaller amount, no more than 2.5% reduction of current dose.  Hold for at least 4 weeks.  If you feel okay then you could increase to a 5% reduction of the new dose and hold for 4 weeks.  If you feel okay then you could try either a 7.5% reduction or a full 10% reduction.

It will be important to hold for the full 4 weeks because of Prozac's long half life.  If you are not at WDnormal do not make another reduction.

Remember that even if you go slower than 10% reductions and/or hold for longer you are still reducing your drug and will eventually get off it.  The aim is to get off with as minimal discomfort and disruption to your life as possible.

Thanks.  I greatly appreciate all the advice.  

1. I will not rely on up dosing per your comment above and will defer to going slowly.

2.  I will read the tips for tapering Prozac and will not begin until at least 2 months from now based on WDNormal.

3.   Lesson learned, but I should have gone to a compounding pharmacy to further taper Pristiq.  It was the lowest dose I could cut the 25mg pill down to.

I will monitor the symptoms of withdrawal from Pristiq and look to stabilize further.  The symptoms are mostly neuro-emotions with constant fatigue and other intermittent physical symptoms such as dizziness, popping in my ears, anxiety and nausea.  The symptoms seem to be VERY slowly getting less intense as the months go on.  

Slow and steady....  

• Moderator Emeritus
On 12/9/2020 at 3:30 PM, goitalone said:

Deplin (15mg) to assist in the effectiveness of the AD.  

Hi goitalone, 

I had wanted to get back to you around the Deplin.  And I recall that you had come off of it.

I wondered how you did with the Deplin?

And then why you chose to come off of it?

Also will share a couple topics here, that I think you'll find interesting.  I finally settled on just a smidgen of methylfolate 400 mcg, and daily blender concoctions, that include spinach or other dark leafy greens.  I had gotten tested for MTHFR, years ago, and also was initially given the prescription Deplin.  It was too much for me though, as I recall.....possibly it was overstimulating.

I started with the leafy greens and then added just a tad with the non-prescription methylfolate.

Anyway this link helped me, and then after awhile here, when in acute WD, I was able to start the dietary change, and then found the Methylfolate at my local health foodie store.  And I think it's all helped.

The importance of MTHFR, methylation and B vitamins: Eat leafy green veggies

Folic acid, folate, L-methylfolate, and Deplin(Vit B9)

And hope that you are feeling Windows today!

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi manymoretodays,

Good to hear from you and thank you for the follow up.  Need to see the email today!

My psydoc prescribed Deplin but never tested me for the gene mutation.  Just said Deplin helps the effectiveness of the AD given that it crosses the blood-brain barrier.  I was coming to the end of my 3 month prescription and did some online research and the research studies on the effectiveness of Deplin was sponsored by Pamlad, the manufacturer. 

So, I asked a close family friend who is a retired doc (not in psych) to research Deplin's effectiveness and after doing so, he felt the data was not compelling enough.  I asked the psydoc if I could reduce and his response was if you must reduce just to feel like you are reducing then go to 7.5mg.  Great answer, thanks.

So, in an effort to eventually eliminate all meds prescribed by the psydoc for anxiety and depression, I tapered the Deplin over the course of 2 weeks by opening the capsule and attempting to reduce by 25% of the original dose every 3-4 days.  I eliminated Deplin entirely a week ago today.  Since Monday, I have been feeling like #$%^.  But it is impossible to tell if it is due to the Pristiq WD, stress/anxiety/depression or the elimination of Deplin.  So i keep reminding myself that the "why" matters less then just working through it and seeing it for what it is, a #$%^ feeling and nothing more.

I have read the links you provided and will reread them.  

No window yet today, but it is still early.

LPHG,

gia

• 4 months later...

To my SA family,

Using this as a way to stay in touch and journal my journey.

I have been off Pristiq, after a quick reduction from about 37.5mg to 0 in 1 month, for 46 weeks now.  I bridged with 20mg of Prozac and have been on Prozac for 48 weeks (started two weeks into reduction of Pristiq).

Today, I feel it is time to begin a slow journey to reduce Prozac and began my 10% reduction with an anticipated 4 week hold in between.  

I have no idea if I stabilized at WDNormal but the decision was made.  I have read the description of WDNormal, but not really able to discern a symptom or feeling between WDNormal, Prozac effects or relapse.  Either way, determined after almost a year, it was time to deal with either a protracted withdrawal, a reaction to Prozac or relapse.  The logic being that my windows/waves, ups/downs where happening regardless.  I guess if withrdrawal it could get worse by reducing Prozac; if reaction to Prozac it would presumably get better over time by reducing slowly; if relapse, well then the meds weren't helping much anyway.  Flaws in thinking, probably :)

So I have read up on SA on dissolving my 20 mg tablets in 5 mg of tap water and this journey has begun.

For those with any sage advice, love to hear from you.  For those going through this, happy to impart any experiences I have had, please reach out.  

See you on the other side...

goitalone (as in without meds as opposed to without a support system :))

• 7 months later...

Just an update for myself  and for anyone who has any advice for me.  Goitalone means without medicine, not help.  HA!

Been reducing Prozac by 10% of last dose to 8.7mg currently.  Next drop is to 7.8mg on 1/5/2022.  Using liquid Prozac.

Hard to discern what is really going on, whether related to withdrawal or relapse back to original symptoms (anxiety).    Been on AD's so long that I don't remember life before them and don't trust my recollection to be truthful.   While anxiety has always been a part of my life, depression was not until an episode 5 years ago.  Since that time, transitioned from 25mg of Sertraline up to 100mg, CT Sertraline then a switch to 50mg of Pristiq then up to 150mg, then CT off 37.5mg of Pristiq with a bridge to a 20mg tablet of Prozac, then a switch to 20ml/4mg liquid...

My typical symptoms are as follows:

- Anxiety or nervous energy (most prevalent symptom from waking up to early evening is strongest)

- Periods of low mood (goes in waves sometimes lasting hours to days)

- Stomach issues (from acid reflux to metal taste in my mouth)

- Cracking/popping in my ears (mostly right, most noticeable with ear is on the pillow)

I don't seem to have a problem falling asleep or staying asleep in general, although every now and then I will wake up around 4 am but the most that lasts is a few days.

I have never up-dosed to determine if symptoms are related to WD or relapse.  I have had the above symptoms for as long as I can remember while on AD's.  No AD change seems to have that much effect on the symptoms.  Maybe some periods of more intense symptoms, but then a leveling out to the above status quo.  Changes could be due to stressors in life at that moment, or change in dosage, not quit sure.

I stopped going to my psychiatrist as his views on AD and tapering were very inconsistent with those in SA and elsewhere and he did not seem to be overly supportive of my conservative approach to tapering.   He said I should be off in a month as Prozac had a long half life.  Sure we have all heard that one before.

I do work with a spiritual teacher, and find that has been helpful.  I think one thing that seems to be under-emphasized in WD is that we no longer have the medicine as a "numbing agent" and so now have to potentially deal with the stresses of life while tapering or off the ADs.  I would recommend therapy alongside any AD withdrawal.  Just my 2c.

I do experience windows.  There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to them.  When they come they are magical.  I mean no symptoms, no mental chatter, no stress, just a natural state of being.

I don't think any of the supplements have made any difference to be honest.  I mean I wanted them to but not even a placebo effect.  I don't believe the symptoms have gotten worse though either so I plan on staying on them as I continue to reduce the Prozac.

For me it seems that nothing but time alongside talk therapy (spiritual for me), exercise, healthy diet, healthy sleep, nature and healthy relationships actually helps.

So the above documents where I am at the moment.  Plan on keeping to my schedule unless it gets to difficult to manage then will either hold longer or go down 5% every 4 weeks. 

Happy New Year to all!

• 4 months later...

Hi SA Community,

@ChessieCat@manymoretodays

So I am now at 6.4mgs of Prozac and have been for the last 2.5 months.  My symptoms have been more intense the last few months and thus the hold.  

I left my previous psychiatrist after he likened AD's to insulin for diabetics and told me some people need to be on them forever.  I still need a prescription, so found an integrative psychiatrist to assist with further withdrawal.  He added probiotics, Vit C, Vit B12 (388 B12 levels), L-Theanine and 100mg 5HTP at night (to begin restoring depletion from ADs) to my regiment a few weeks ago to "ease the withdrawals."  I don't think any of it has made a difference.

So here I am, hanging out at 6.4mgs with waves of intense anxiety (most frequent) and depression (every now and then).  

Some questions:

1.  In April 2020, my previous pdoc reduced my Pristiq from 56.25 mgs to 0 over 3 months and bridged to 20 mgs of Prozac.  Is there anyway any part of what I am experiencing today has to do with that drop?  If so for how long can it influence this process?

2.  How does one differentiate between anxiety and mild inner akathisia?  I assume that does not change the solution, but what I feel now is a very strong inner restlessness, NO racing heart, NO shortness of breath, NO sweaty palms.  My only worry is about the way that I am feeling and how long it will last and if I will ever stop feeling this way.  No external worries, thankfully.  No impeding doom.  Anxiety or inner Akathisia?

3.  I have held at 2.5 mths at 6.4mg.  How long do I wait before I know this is related to withdrawal or relapse?  The one thing I would say is that the reason for my depression in the first place no longer exists as those circumstances have changed?  I have never felt stabilized on either Pristiq or Prozac.    

Would greatly appreciate your advice.

Thanks,

Goitalone

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, goitalone said:

I left my previous psychiatrist after he likened AD's to insulin for diabetics and told me some people need to be on them forever. 

Glad to hear that you fired this person.  I had a counsellor tell me the same thing.  I've now been successfully AD free for 6 months after having been on them for 25+ years!

I still need a prescription

Any doctor can write a prescription.  You do not need to see a psychiatrist for this.

He added probiotics, Vit C, Vit B12 (388 B12 levels), L-Theanine and 100mg 5HTP at night (to begin restoring depletion from ADs) to my regiment a few weeks ago to "ease the withdrawals."  I don't think any of it has made a difference.

Did you feel worse after starting these things?  If not, then you are very fortunate.  When trying anything new it is best to start with a small amount and ONLY ONE at a time so that if there is any issue you have a better chance of working out the cause.

The only supplements which SA recommends are magnesium and omega 3 fish oil.  Some members have had issues with other supplements.  There are many existing topics on SA.  Use the site search function or a search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

Generally the better way to "ease the withdrawals" is to do a careful taper and not to reduce again unless stable.  It is important to listen to your body/symptoms.  That doesn't mean that you will not experience discomfort at times; SA strongly encourages members to learn and use non drug coping techniques to get through these times (unless the withdrawal symptoms are unbearable, in which case a small updose might be in order, followed by a long hold and then reducing by less the next time you reduce).

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

Stability

WDnormal

And Brassmonkey talks more about it here:

tao-of-the-brassmonkey

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  When did the symptoms start; was it after starting the supplements?

I suggest you do a search for the new things you have added to see about other members' experiences.  There are also topics about symptoms so search for those as well.

Is it withdrawal or relapse?  Or something else?

How do I know it's withdrawal and not relapse?

@ChessieCat

Thank you for the quick response.  :)  Thank you also for the information.

I don't know that I have ever really "stabilized" since upping Sertraline from 25mg (14 years at this dose) to 100mg many years ago for an acute depressive episode.  When Sertraline did not work, i switched pdocs who put me on Pristiq and kept upping the dose to eventually stay at 150 mg.   I had windows and waves when on Pristiq and now Prozac, wonder if it was withdrawal from Sertraline?  I stayed on Pristiq for a while so should have stabiIized from Sertraline withdrawl (??) i requested to reduce the Pristiq in April 2019 as i did not like the way i felt on Pristiq (I am sure you know!)  Thought the drugs might be causing some of the symptoms.

I was doing this on my own until March when I reached out to a new pdoc (integrative pdoc) as the intensity of the symptoms were worsening.  He prescribed the supplements, not sure they have made much difference (good or bad).  Intensity may have spiked on anxiety so maybe that is a sign?

Did you keep a diary of symptoms?  I may need to do that. 

I will reread the above links again but may need additional clarification as it is hard to discern rebound vs WD as I have felt the window/waves pattern throughout Pristiq/Prozac.  I was initially put on AD's to mitigate stressful moments in my life 20 years ago.  Those moments are all behind me so they are no longer a cause.  But over 20 years the drugs could have possibly just made things worse with their effect on the brain?  So i don't know what to compare symptoms to and the symptoms are the same except for tinnitus (now gone), crackling sound in my right ear....those are the only two new physical symptoms.

Do you recommend I start to remove the supplements one at a time to go back to just Magnesium and Omega 3s?  

I am not there but at what point should my body have had enough time to adjust to the 6.4mg reduction made on March 2, 2022?  Is it based on time, ie. if after 4 months of reducing to 6.4mgs I am not seeing stabilization or improvement, do I then go up?  Or is it purely coping?

Thanks,

goitalne  

• Moderator Emeritus
16 minutes ago, goitalone said:

Do you recommend I start to remove the supplements one at a time to go back to just Magnesium and Omega 3s?  

If the supplements are not helping and/or making something/s worse then it might be a good idea to stop them.  If it was me I would definitely be stopping the 5HTP.  Depending on how long you have been taking it you might need to do a fast taper by halving the dose every few days to a week, listening to your symptoms and staying on a dose for a bit longer if things worsen.  The other supplements might be okay to keep taking but you will need to monitor those.

Only make one change at a time.  So you wouldn't add in magnesium and omega 3 just yet.  Hopefully stopping the 5htp might reduce the anxiety.

See Post #1 of this topic:

5-htp-5-hydroxytryptophan-and-l-tryptophan

22 minutes ago, goitalone said:

I am not there but at what point should my body have had enough time to adjust to the 6.4mg reduction made on March 2, 2022?  Is it based on time, ie. if after 4 months of reducing to 6.4mgs I am not seeing stabilization or improvement, do I then go up?  Or is it purely coping?

I think at this time you need to concentrate on the supplements.  I think it would be best to remove the 5HTP first and then not make any changes for a little while (how long? it will depend on your symptoms) and see how you feel.  If you still don't feel "okay" (that is relative - another term would be reasonable/bearable symptoms - but compare how you feel to how you felt at your worst, not your best or how you want to feel, any improvement, however small, is good) then you might remove the L-theanine next.

There is no way of knowing how long these things take.

27 minutes ago, goitalone said:

Did you keep a diary of symptoms?  I may need to do that. 

No I didn't but you might find it helpful.  Some members rate their symptoms.

There are printable and computer versions of Glenmullen's withdrawal symptoms list here which includes a key to rate symptoms:

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

Rate Symptoms Daily to Check Patterns and Progress

Thanks @ChessieCat

Will read everything and follow up with any further questions.

Have an amazing day.

Goitalone!

• 1 year later...

SA Family,

Been a while, writing to document journey.

Hit a rough patch at 6.4mgs of Prozac and believe I developed akathisia.  Eventually went back to pdoc who increased me to 10mgs and then to 20mgs which i held for 4 weeks with little resolution.  He then titrated me down to 0mgs over 2 weeks while adding/increasing Duloxetine to 60 mgs over the next few weeks.  

I no longer see this pdoc and found a pdoc  who specializes in helping people taper off ADs.  I believe the following contributed to my distress at 6.4mgs:  (1) 10% dose reduction was too much at that low a dose, (ii) while it had been a year since CT Pristiq at 37.5 mgs, I am not sure enough time had passed between such an acute reduction, and (iii) challenging circumstances in my life at the time.

I don't like the way I feel on D and want to be off all ADs.  So, the tapering journey continues and I am now down to 50mg of Duloxetine.  I dropped too fast from 60mgs to 50mgs (new pdoc suggestion :(and have held at 50 mgs since Jan.  While I don't feel great, I plan to begin to taper reducing 5% of the previous dose every 3 weeks.  I am hoping this is a small enough drop (i) does not add to any withdrawal effects from the 10mg D drop or the CT of Prozac about 10 months ago, and/or (ii) helps to reduce any bad feeling D is causing me at this dose.

I plan to use a compounding pharmacy as I don't have the time/patience to count this many beads and will ask them to weigh the beads until I get down to 20mgs, at which point I will start to count.

Could I still be dealing with WD from Prozac CT off 20 mgs 8 months ago?

Any advice or recommendations based on any of the above would be appreciated.

Thanks.