heloisa: domperidone / Motilium withdrawal - can I try reinstatement?

heloisa

Hi! So, I started taking domperidone a few months ago, unfortunately I’m not sure about how many and I didn’t follow an order because I was taking it for my digestion. I realized I was dependent on it after switching for reglan — that was when I started experiencing some symptoms which I know were caused by withdrawal but I thought it was the new medication. Anyway, I was taking around 10g/3x times a day for 3 ou 4 months. I switched to Reglan which is also a dopamine blocker for 11 days and then got back on domperidone. After realizing what was going on, I stopped it cold turkey for 6 days and have experienced anxiety, insomnia, stomach upset, nausea, tingling, twitching, etc. I realized I messed up after switching to Reglan. So, 12th of november started taking Reglan 10mg/3x a day. 24th of november got back on domperidone. 3rd december quit domperidone and 9 december took 1 pill (10mg) can I still try reinstatement?? I’m desperate :( 

9/11/20 - Started taking Domperidone 10mg/3x

11/12/20 - Switched to Reglan (CT from dom)

11/14/20 - experienced WD symptoms (vertigo, anxiety, insomnia, nausea)

11/23/20 - got back on dom 

12/3/20 - quit dom CT

12/5/20 - experienced WD but much stronger (GI upset, tingling, panic attacks, twitching, brain fog, insomnia,

depression, eye pain, nausea, gastritis, fatigue, etc)

12/9/20 - got back on full dose of dom

12/13/20 - quit domperidone CT

• ChessieCat changed the title to heloisa: domperidone / Motilium withdrawal - can I try reinstatement?

How long does it take for my body to get used to the medication until I know if I developed a tolerance or if I can handle it again?

Edited by manymoretodays
merged from off topic, to beginning Introduction topic

12/3/20 - quit dom CT

12/5/20 - experienced WD but much stronger (GI upset, tingling, panic attacks, twitching, brain fog, insomnia,

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi heliosa and welcome,.

And oh my, sorry it's taken so long to get you started.

And I am not real familiar with your medications, so am going to just post my preliminary findings right here too.

Dromperidone-

Domperidone is a medicine that increases the movements or contractions of the stomach and bowel. Domperidone is also used to treat nausea and vomiting caused by other drugs used to treat Parkinson's Disease.

Domperidone is to be given only by or under the immediate supervision of your doctor.

( https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/domperidone-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20063481?p=1)

Reglan-  Drugs.com Reglan Uses, Dosage and Side Effects

and professional info, from Drugs.com https://www.drugs.com/pro/reglan.html

What are you taking now?  I am noticing in your signature you put:  12/9/20 - got back on full dose of dom

Does dom stand for Domperidone?

And any other medications right now?

And why are you on these medications, if you don't mind saying?

Thank you,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

On 12/9/2020 at 10:44 PM, heloisa said:

Hi! So, I started taking domperidone a few months ago, unfortunately I’m not sure about how many and I didn’t follow an order because I was taking it for my digestion. I realized I was dependent on it after switching for reglan — that was when I started experiencing some symptoms which I know were caused by withdrawal but I thought it was the new medication. Anyway, I was taking around 10g/3x times a day for 3 ou 4 months. I switched to Reglan which is also a dopamine blocker for 11 days and then got back on domperidone. After realizing what was going on, I stopped it cold turkey for 6 days and have experienced anxiety, insomnia, stomach upset, nausea, tingling, twitching, etc. I realized I messed up after switching to Reglan. So, 12th of november started taking Reglan 10mg/3x a day. 24th of november got back on domperidone. 3rd december quit domperidone and 9 december took 1 pill (10mg) can I still try reinstatement?? I’m desperate :( 

Hi! No worries! And Yeah, that’s it. Domperidone can cross the blood brain barrier in some people and you can see a few folks that suffered with this drug @a123 @rubyro 

I’m on day three trying reinstatement. So far no changes. I have constipation now, gastritis, sinus issues and vertigo. Does it take awhile to see changes? I hope I can reinstate because I was really sick before and I can’t stand withdrawal 

12/3/20 - quit dom CT

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again heliosa,

Yes, I saw that you had found a few others. 

And yes it may take a bit of time before you know, if a reinstatement will help with WD symptoms. 

Again, it's not a medication we deal with a lot, but in general, with reinstatements, for most AD's(antidepressants) it can be about 4-7 days for the medication to reach a steady state.  And I can give you the general link on reinstatement now, keeping in mind that, yours, the medication, is a bit different from what we deal with:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

Another useful link, that could be applied, when you feel stable enough to attempt a taper:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

And then, although you won't find domperidone or Reglan in the specific tapering guides here, you might find something useful:

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ's

Especially when you do start to taper, and then as always, listen to your body specifics, and you should be able to get a feel for how fast you can go, next time around with tapering.  Unlikely that you would want to go any quicker than 10% from your starting dose, once you try again.  But you might be able to go at quicker intervals.  That all can take some good observation.

I think you might find some more sites to access too, to learn more about your medication, and properties of it, so that you might be able to find a way to do dosing, that varies from how it is prescribed.

And it sure does sound like your symptoms could be WD related.  And I'm not surprised.

Sometimes just staying steady on a dose, and the same medication for a bit, can help stabilize things too.  You had a bit of off and on for awhile.  So that might give you hope.

Are you on other medications?  If so, you may want to use Drugs.com, to check them, and for interactions as well.

Okay, hope that helps and gives you a few more avenues to explore as well, to find some answers for yourself and your situation.

Oh, best.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
?

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

15 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi heliosa and welcome,.

And oh my, sorry it's taken so long to get you started.

And I am not real familiar with your medications, so am going to just post my preliminary findings right here too.

Dromperidone-

Domperidone is a medicine that increases the movements or contractions of the stomach and bowel. Domperidone is also used to treat nausea and vomiting caused by other drugs used to treat Parkinson's Disease.

Domperidone is to be given only by or under the immediate supervision of your doctor.

( https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/domperidone-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20063481?p=1)

Reglan-  Drugs.com Reglan Uses, Dosage and Side Effects

and professional info, from Drugs.com https://www.drugs.com/pro/reglan.html

What are you taking now?  I am noticing in your signature you put:  12/9/20 - got back on full dose of dom

Does dom stand for Domperidone?

And any other medications right now?

And why are you on these medications, if you don't mind saying?

Thank you,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Thank you so much for the support. I really need some hope. If I get stable, I’ll post it here. And no, that’s the only medication I’m in

It’s a long story, I was taking it for a misdiagnose of GERD, and I didn’t realize I was taking it daily because I “got used to it”. Terrible. :( 

12/3/20 - quit dom CT

May I ask a question? Experiencing waves and windows is a sing that you’re healing? Or is it too soon to say something?

Unfortunately I had to stop taking domperidone. The side-effect that made me stop taking it was too much plus the withdrawal symptom

12/3/20 - quit dom CT

• Moderator Emeritus

Experiencing waves and windows is a normal part of the recovery process.

the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi again. I have a one last question, I’m sorry to bother, I just couldn’t find it anywhere. Is there a way to know if I’ll suffer with acute withdrawal or PAWS, like a “pattern”? In your experiences, is there any type of symptoms or intensity of which that could mean you’re suffer with chronic withdrawal?

I’m sorry if that’s a stupid question. I’m asking because I keep seeing people suffering for years after taking domperidone and I can see my symptoms are not THAT intense, even though uncomfortable, and I had in my mind that I was gonna have to deal with it for years discarding the possibility of it lasting for a couple weeks or months. Thanks for the attention. I know the main answer is time, but maybe there’s another one...

12/3/20 - quit dom CT

• Moderator Emeritus

That's so good heloisa.  That your symptoms are not THAT intense.

And no, none that I know of, as far as signs that you will suffer more chronic WDsyndrome.

I think it is just something to keep in mind, that it may be WD, if later on a Wave comes on.  And then if one does, you can use some non-drug coping rather than heading in to a prescriber.  Who of course might just prescribe something new.

And hmmmm,  I just moved a post from another member back to their Introduction, but perhaps the questions that they had put there were for you, so I will move it back or copy it back over here now.

3 hours ago, Estman said:

Hi ,

Does domperidone relieve withdrawal symptoms in some cases?

Does it help relieve nausea?
Is it an addictive drug in itself?
What are the side effects?
Does anyone have any observations?
If you have not taken such a medicine before, is it worth trying?

And so, this was in response to your last post I believe.

And forgive, I've gotten a bit screen weary today I think.  Too many hours at once.  Beautiful day.  Happy Holidays!  Off to be jolly now.

mmt

• 1 year later...

@heloisa

Hi there:)

Can I get an update on how you are doing now from the Domperidone withdrawal?

Thank you! 

Domperidone: 

Sept 28-Dec 14=30mgs a day; Dec 14-Jan 1 = 20mgs a day; Jan 1 - feb 16 = 10mgs a day; stopped(Jan started vertigo/rocking sensation and Feb started tachycardia)

April 19 - May 8 = 20mgs a day; May 9 - May 30 = 10mgs a day

stopped - severe withdrawal: anxiety; panic attacks; tremors; twitching; tachycardia; insomnia; blurry vision.  

Sept 17 - Oct 8th = 10mgs a day - no change in symptoms, didn't want to go back up more; Oct 9 - 17th = 5mg/day

December 12th = reinstated 25mg a day

==

celexa - June 10 - June 12th 2021

lexapro - July 22 - July 31st 2021

clonazepam - July 14 - September 30 - .5mg 3x/day; weaned and transferred to valium and then off.  

valium - intermittently used for sleep Sept 2020 - Feb 2021; used now during day PRN.

prozac - Sept 24 - January 7th - weaned from 10 mg to 5mg and then off