Nugget: Lexapro withdrawal

Nugget

@manymoretodays hey sorry to keep bothering everyone but i just keep getting strange feelings come up lately ive been wondering if this is still withdrawal or if i'm having some sort of relapse my sleeping has turned upside down in terms of the pattern and is that what may have made all these symptoms (anxiety, depression, panic)  flare back up? because they are starting to get intense again 

2015-Zoloft

2018- Prozac

2019- Lexapro 40mg 

September 2020- tapered to 20mg

October 2020- tapered to 10mg

late october 2020- 0mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nugget,

No problem.  You're not bothering anyone.

Anything else going on now, in your environment, with your family, or work?

Any use of alcohol?

And then there are the neuroemotions to consider

They can be really weird, amplified emotional states that will just arise

And don't forget the Windows and Waves pattern of stabilization

You were having some great progress and improvements, and I expect that you will again

This might help you to distinguish as well:  Withdrawal or relapse? Or something else?

And then see how other members have been able to.

And then it is important to begin to find some non-drug coping for the kind of things that led to your taking medications/drugs in the first place too.

And so many great coping skills to be found in the Symptoms and Self care forum too.

Take a look at the indexed list here, in the first post, and see what you might want to explore:

Non drug coping for emotional symptoms

How is that symptom of reflux doing now?   When I had it, it only bothered me when laying down.  So your symptom might be something a bit different.

Sleep is real important now, for continued healing and recovery:

Tips to help sleep: so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Keep posting too Nugget, and keep us updated.  Hugs.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

@manymoretodays ok so ive read through the links and ive concluded that the depression is a neuroemotion because one minute ill feel fine and 10-15 minutes later i want to cry and then i cry and im back to normal and the cycle repeats for the day until the last few hours before bed im fine plus i never had a history of depression just panic attacks before the meds

The acid reflux is completely gone it left when i started getting these crazy symptoms back. one thats has been strange is my vision gets very bright and almost has a blur to it.

On your first question per my environment i would say its the worst its ever been in my life i’m only 23 and i have always been close to my dad and brother and as soon as i started going through withdrawal they shunned me in a way i would seek them out for support and my dad actually told me to stop calling him because he didn’t want to hear it anymore i live with my uncle and maybe i should talk to them i just don’t want the same thing to happen.

I haven't been able to work occasionally ill deliver food for door-dash and if i start to feel uncomfortable i can head home. I haven’t had alcohol in a long time or caffeine as a matter of fact i haven't taken any substance at all natural or vice versa not even ibuprofen or advil i’ve taken nothing since this started!

2015-Zoloft

2018- Prozac

2019- Lexapro 40mg 

late october 2020- 0mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Nugget,

Helping family understand

How to talk to loved ones

No Friend/Family Support

And self care is your priority now.  And is difficult for so many of us, at first.  I told people that I was recovering from some Adverse Reactions to Some Medications at one point.  That seemed to help.  And it can start to feel pretty lonely.  My Mum just could not grasp it, WD, and then my anger sometimes at it all.  She did great with the whole MI(mental illness) concept, all the junk that gets thrown out there for the general public.......but then just could not shift her paradigm.  She's getting older, probably quite a bit older than your Dad.  And sometimes, they just can't stand to see us struggle.

How to self soothe

Rebuilding self-confidence, accepting anxiety

Acceptance

On the vision:

Vision symptoms

And there you go.  Woah, plenty of topics to study, look at, and feel free to comment on too.  You might feel a bit better too, if you want to go visit others threads a bit, and offer support, make a few friends or WD buddies.  We often can help each other a lot, because we're going through it, or have been through it.

The Magic of Helping Others

And best.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

* to search for just about anything here, I usually use my main browser and then type in survivingantidepressants.org followed by the topic/subject of interest

And then you'll often get some members Introductions with the subject in their title, or even better sometimes, are the various topics in the different forums.  Helps one to get familiar with the site, and all the information, and previous discussions. 

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to update everyone that even though i'm still very much going through a withdrawal i have officially been accepted into college for fall semester i have pushed through the pain and got a new job and am completely independent now with my own bills and health insurance etc. which is new to me! as for the withdrawal i still have panic attacks and a cloud over my head along with being very light headed a-lot and appetite issues, food sensitive still.

I pushed through it all and everyone says these symptoms will get much better in time. Even with all these struggles i have done more with my life than before withdrawal which is absolutely crazy. If it wasn't for my withdraw buddy who i found on here this journey would have been much more difficult anyway i will stop rambling on i just wanted to tell everyone the good news!

2015-Zoloft

2018- Prozac

2019- Lexapro 40mg 

late october 2020- 0mg

Very well done Nugget. A shining example that life can go on even during ADWD. Best of luck with the college experience.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

10 hours ago, Nugget said:

Even with all these struggles i have done more with my life than before withdrawal which is absolutely crazy.

@Nugget I feel the same😅 I was thinking why is that, at least in my case... I had this crazy anxiety and one of the fears was that I wasted my life so I wanted to prove to myself that I didn’t.

Good job Nugget!

July 19th 2017—July 2018: 10 mg Escitalopram

August 2018— June 2020: 5 mg Escitalopram

Tapering started: June 2020—1st of August. Lowest dose was 5 mg (5 mg every second day for a couple of weeks, then 5 mg twice a week for a couple of weeks, and lastly 5 mg once a week until I stopped)

Drug free: August 1st, 2020

Supplements: Magnesium citrate 2x200 mg and Omega3 – 2x1000 mg.

Ya things in my life are coming together but i still cant wait to feel better i still have many symptoms like the food giving me anxiety every time i eat and the appetite my lord i want it to go away!! 

2015-Zoloft

2018- Prozac

2019- Lexapro 40mg 

late october 2020- 0mg

• 11 months later...

@manymoretodays So its been a year since you've heard from me you helped me a lot and I'm doing OK i think. honestly i don't have too many symptoms left, and i recently went through a break up which probably was a bad idea to do since last year was so rough on my nervous system (I'm so good at making bad decisions). I thought this person was different and sweet and kind blah blah blah didn't work out it destroyed me, but any way this has nothing to do with my story on here.

My remaining symptoms are very mild except for one which is the reason I'm writing this but those symptoms that do remain would be neuro-emotion which i get very rarely anymore now of course the breakup didn't help this so at the moment its hard to tell the difference. I have the occasional episode of deja vu which is so rare now as well this seems to be getting much better actually it used to be so rough. Almost everything i used to have trouble with like no appetite, seeing spots, horrible crying spells, have completely gone back to normal yay lol.

Now as for the only thing that still hinders me is questionable as it has sort of gotten worse over the last year and the only thing i can find that seems similar is PEM (Post Exertional Malaise) which in my experience i get if i don't sleep well or if i walk too much or if climb the stairs too fast. In my experience of this issue my head feels very floaty but also tight like a rubber band around the top my vision gets cloudy and generally feel unwell (malaise). this is keeping me from doing certain things as it is extremely uncomfortable I'm not saying i have PEM but its the only thing i can find any similarities too.

My question is if this is from withdrawal? i made sure to look for topics on PEM but only found one or two small ones honestly i could use another brain on this situation. By the way i did go to the doctor where he proceeded to tell me its psychological LOL (I guess there's a chance it could be I'm not sure). I do know this PEM is a symptom of CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) which has many other symptoms that i don't have, and "Long Covid" which i have never had. So if anyone knows if this might be withdrawal related that would be helpful to just know thanks!

*Also noting there are times that i have walked a good bit or took stairs and even ran a little once! and some of these times i didn't even feel bad i think it might be stress related because when i was with my girlfriend i rarely had any of these issues and now they are getting worse after we split.*

2015-Zoloft

2018- Prozac

2019- Lexapro 40mg 

late october 2020- 0mg

@brassmonkey @Heath you guys have commented on my post before would you guys have any knowledge of what im dealing with in my last post?

22 hours ago, Nugget said:

@manymoretodays So its been a year since you've heard from me you helped me a lot and I'm doing OK i think. honestly i don't have too many symptoms left, and i recently went through a break up which probably was a bad idea to do since last year was so rough on my nervous system (I'm so good at making bad decisions). I thought this person was different and sweet and kind blah blah blah didn't work out it destroyed me, but any way this has nothing to do with my story on here.

My remaining symptoms are very mild except for one which is the reason I'm writing this but those symptoms that do remain would be neuro-emotion which i get very rarely anymore now of course the breakup didn't help this so at the moment its hard to tell the difference. I have the occasional episode of deja vu which is so rare now as well this seems to be getting much better actually it used to be so rough. Almost everything i used to have trouble with like no appetite, seeing spots, horrible crying spells, have completely gone back to normal yay lol.

Now as for the only thing that still hinders me is questionable as it has sort of gotten worse over the last year and the only thing i can find that seems similar is PEM (Post Exertional Malaise) which in my experience i get if i don't sleep well or if i walk too much or if climb the stairs too fast. In my experience of this issue my head feels very floaty but also tight like a rubber band around the top my vision gets cloudy and generally feel unwell (malaise). this is keeping me from doing certain things as it is extremely uncomfortable I'm not saying i have PEM but its the only thing i can find any similarities too.

My question is if this is from withdrawal? i made sure to look for topics on PEM but only found one or two small ones honestly i could use another brain on this situation. By the way i did go to the doctor where he proceeded to tell me its psychological LOL (I guess there's a chance it could be I'm not sure). I do know this PEM is a symptom of CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) which has many other symptoms that i don't have, and "Long Covid" which i have never had. So if anyone knows if this might be withdrawal related that would be helpful to just know thanks!

*Also noting there are times that i have walked a good bit or took stairs and even ran a little once! and some of these times i didn't even feel bad i think it might be stress related because when i was with my girlfriend i rarely had any of these issues and now they are getting worse after we split.*

2015-Zoloft

2018- Prozac

2019- Lexapro 40mg 

late october 2020- 0mg

• 1 month later...

Hi @Nugget

How are you doing? 

On 3/17/2022 at 3:44 AM, Nugget said:

My question is if this is from withdrawal?

It could be from withdrawal. 

On 3/17/2022 at 3:44 AM, Nugget said:

i think it might be stress related

Makes sense to me. 

It's great that you're doing so much better and "don't have too many symptoms left". I am not a mod or an expert. My understanding is that even after we start to feel markedly better, our nervous systems may remain extra sensitive to stress for some time. So even after any acute or overtly felt symptoms are no longer bothering us, we still need to be mindful and practice taking gentle care of ourselves. It's not uncommon to hear about someone who considers themselves recovered, no longer in withdrawal, and then a year or two later goes through a stressful life event and experiences a temporary resurgence of symptoms. 

Go easy on yourself. Congratulations on how far you've come, that's a real accomplishment! Continue honing your life skills, developing non-drug coping techniques, practicing stress management strategies. Surround yourself with good, compassionate, loving people; cultivate a healthy support system; build community. In short, keep doing what we all need to do to live a balanced, sustainable, wholesome, human life. You will keep getting stronger and wiser, healing will deepen and broaden. 

When you're ready, please come back and write a success story for our recovery forum. Your experience is important. Your story is valuable and can be of help to many fellow SA members suffering from withdrawal looking for hope. It would be great to read your account of making it through. 

Thank you for all you have shared thus far, and congrats on your progress. Well done!

A.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice.