OcnPrsn18: Zoloft tapering

Ocnprsn18

Hi Everyone, 

im new here and looking for help and support on living without ADs. I never realized that 15 years ago when I was 18 and prescribed Paxil to deal with depression and anxiety that I would feel short term relief of my illness but forever changed and tied to a prescription drug. I have tried twice before to quit ADs and always had to get back on them. The first time it was because the discontinuation symptoms were so bad and not recognized by doctors I spent months in and out of hospitals for neurological evaluations and never receiving a diagnosis for my debilitating issues. Now years later as the medical community has become more aware of the effects of stopping these drugs I am able to realize that I went through that expensive and demoralizing ordeal because of stopping Paxil and there was no mysterious health condition which I needed to address.

Now I’m trying to quit Zoloft fully and I’m down from 150mg to 25mg but suffering bad side effects. Most days I struggle to believe I can ever succeed at living a normal life without these meds. I’m terrified that I won’t succeed with this effort to quit, but have just enough hope that I’m pushing through. 

thanks everyone for your courage and stories. I’m grateful to know I’m not alone

History:

Took Paxil for 4 years then stopped cold turkey. Experienced severe withdrawal- incessant twitching with multiple months of neurological testing. After becoming bedridden resumed SSRIs but lexapro this time. Took for 2 years, then tapered off. Off for 2.5 years then hit with major anxiety and started taking Zoloft 150mg. Now, 6 years later trying to taper off. Have tapered from 150mg to 50mg over a year with minimal effects. Now trying to taper down to 25mg and experiencing extreme irritation, emotional swings, muscle soreness, brain zaps.

• manymoretodays changed the title to OcnPrsn18: Zoloft tapering
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ocnprsn18 and welcome,

I think we can probably help you with doing a easier(on your system) WD(withdrawal) this time.

Looks like you've almost got it, as far as what we like to see in a signature too!  Excellent.  I'm seeing most of what goes in a signature, with the exception of dates though, in your last paragraph above.

And now to get it into place.  The signature is the portion that you'll see below members' posts, and gives us a nice idea, at a glance, where you are at, and where you have come from, regarding tapering and the medications.  Symptoms can just go in your narrative section, like when you reply to this post. 

And you'll see in the link, more specific instructions on how to do your signature.

Please summarize your withdrawal history in your signature

We take a harm reduction approach to going off AD's(antidepressants):

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system.  Best to just try one at a time though, and start low, go slow, while observing. 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions here regarding your tapering, give updates, and just keep a record of your journey.

Welcome again.

L, P, H, and G,
mmt
Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing