SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

PMS, PMDD, and menstrual cycle issues during withdrawal and after

DSN13

ADMIN NOTE It is very common for people suffering from psychiatric drug withdrawal symptoms or protracted withdrawal syndrome to feel worsening symptoms at times in their menstrual cycle, usually during the pre-menstrual or menstrual period.

It is well known that over-the-counter drugs such as ibuprofen can reduce this pain. From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279323/

Anti-inflammatory painkillers are often used to relieve period pain, especially the drugs diclofenac, ibuprofen and naproxen. These medications are all non-steroidal  (NSAIDs). They inhibit the production of prostaglandins and can relieve period pain in that way. Many NSAIDs are available from pharmacies without a prescription.

Mod note:  combined/merged PMDD/Premenstrual depression  and psychosis topic(posts from December 24, 2020 to June 10, 2022) here

Ever since I started the tapering process from Lexapro (20mg for 14 years, started tapering in January and am now on 5mg) I have been experiencing PMS to the worst degree. Physically it feels about the same, but emotionally I am a wreck. I am overly anxious, shaky and can cry at the drop of a hat. I want to curl up in a ball of tears in bed and not leave my house. I need some support doing this difficult time. Has anyone else experience this as well?

Edited by Altostrata
added admin note

Lexapro 20 mg 1998-2012

January 2012 added 20mg of Prozac to aid with taper

Did a six month taper off of the lexapro

As of June 7, 2012 lexapro free. Still take the prozac.

Klonopin .25 as needed (usually 1-2x a week).

DSN I had a hysterectomy and take bio-identical hormones. If I miss a dose, I go thru what feels like the worst PMS/Menopause. The wires in my head are completely unplugged.

I have read many posts over the years on how PMS is exacerbated by WD. It is very common while getting off these drugs.

Have you tried Midol or one of the over-the-counter PMS tablets?

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Thanks Nikki. Midol does help - however this morning I took Midol Complete, not realizing it has 60mg of caffeine (the same as a cup of coffee) and I believe that has just made this morning so torturous for me. I'm at work fighting back the tears and trying to breathe through the heart palpitations. Next time I will take Pamprin for sure (no caffeine). UGH. This sucks.

Lexapro 20 mg 1998-2012

I'm going thru withdrawal combined with the fact I would swear I'm starting pre-perimenopause.

I've had g*d awful palpitations too. Knowing that yours today is probably from the caffeine, the best I can suggest is to just remember that "this too will pass", a 12 step motto.

Can you kinda hide out at your desk until the end of the day?

You might want to also get your hormones checked. Usually cycle day 2/3 is the best, which because you are in PMS, should be in just a few days. If your MD is clueless about hormones...there are plenty of places on line you can compare the results to let you know if you are high or low. Remember that you know your body best.

Keep us posted.

Years:150mg Wellbutrin (to concentrate) 20-30 mg Celexa (rumination).

CT 8/2011 during a pregnancy attempt under MD orders. (Idiot!!!) Pregnancy hormones allowed it.

Felt great with 6 mg of melatonin per night to sleep plus preggo hormones-didn't last:(

Best time of my life. Botched IVF in Dec 2011.Stress.

Bone chilling exhaustion and told to go back on celexa and wellbutrin.

4/9/2012 Back on celexa wb for some relief, wb gave me heart palps so dropped and only need 6.6 mg celexa and 1/4 melatonin pill...IMPROVEMENT because my doses are much lower!

REMEMBER to get your thyroid and hormones checked/out of whack ones can appear LIKE MOOD DISORDERS!!

Thank you so much Elizabeth...I hadn't though of the hormone check. I see my gyno next week and will bring this up. And yes, the heart palpitations are awful :(

My day has gotten a bit better as I was able to share with one of my coworkers how awful I'm feeling and she keeps checking in with me. Pretty proud of myself for making it through the day!

Lexapro 20 mg 1998-2012

I get anxious and very irritable 2 weeks before my period. This sucks because I never used to suffer from PMS until I introduced ADs into my life.

I can't wait to be done with this monthly cycle stuff! :angry:

2009 Efexor 75mg tapered twice

November 2011 Pristiq 50 mg

January 2012 Pristiq 100 mg, became very dizzy and anxious with a lot negative thinking! Ear aches, eye pain, headaches, bruxism, night sweats.

Currently on 30 mg of compounded Pristiq

• 1 month later...

@Nikki... wires unplugged LOL!! I'm sorry to laugh, but it was a great visual!

Just FYI, PMS gets longer and worse as we get older, also. I think I first learned that in What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You About Menopause. Physiologically, it makes sense as estrogen production declines. I didnt have significant PMS until I hit my late 30s when my wires became unplugged. It lasted about 2 weeks and was a distinctly different feeling of low. A mean low. I found that some of the PMS support products (Estrotone is one) helped take the edge off. I don't know how these would help/hurt during tapering!

Chastetree berry (vitex) is an interesting herb. Anyone have experience with it?

B

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 10 months later...

I've recently gotten worse symptoms around my period, like I will be incredibly tired or very depressed and lethargic and otherwise moody. In the past, I had cramps or a headache and maybe minor irritation. This worsening correlates well with when I began taking Effexor. It is possible that it is a coincidence because I have PCOS, which means my estrogen level is low anyway.

It seems counterintuitive because they use antidepressants to treat PMS, but could there be some link between Effexor and worsening side effects of my cycle?

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

• Administrator

A lot of women seem to find antidepressants affect their cycles, in different ways.

They're hormonal disruptors. Some people find the disruption beneficial, others not so much.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

That's obnoxious. This drug is really upsetting my life. Why did I ever agree to this? #rhetoricalquestion

Started Lamictal

• 2 weeks later...

My periods are becoming worse and worse. I've always had a slightly heavy second day, but now it's ridiculous. I have to get up in the night and change pads. I leak to my clothes and so on. I'm already anemic, so I feel pretty yucky during. The PMS I experience now is CRAZY!

Had a really bad one this time. My boobs were achier than normal this time as well.

I called my doc and asked if there was anything I can do to help. Granted, this is the doc that is real big on meds. She told me about all natural progesterone creams. Does anyone have experience using this? She also recommended a low dose birth control pill. But I was sensitive to those pre prozac....don't want to know what they'd do now.

I am very hypersensitive since withdrawal and scared to take ANYTHING! at this point. I've even halted all of my vitamins and supps.

She said I could find the creams at a natural foods store and that they were made out of wild yams or something?

Any feedback would be helpful as I am out of my element here.

Thanks.

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012

I went through everything you're going through...and still to some extent...PMS gets worse...etc...the bleeding has mellowed out...the breast pain has also gone away...and PMS is a lot less intense...

I tried progesterone cream as well as oral progesterone...I don't recommend people in active withdrawal mess with hormones at all...that said I've come across people who say they've found them helpful...and given I am not in your shoes I don't pretend to know what is right for you...the thing is if you're hypersensitive it's a huge crap shoot...and things do mellow out or go away all together in time...I know it's awful now...very very awful.

that's my two cents.

I did improve my general well-being with dietary changes etc...that sort of thing can be helpful but is subtle and takes more time

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I found some help with mild iodine supplementation--putting a quarter-sized spot of tincture of iodine on soft skin once a day. But I think that's for high, not low, estrogen. Very, very tender I was. Also, I am muddling through menopause.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I mentioned this in another topic, but Effexor makes the emotional symptoms of PMS way worse for me. During and around my period, I'm more aggressive and agitated, more moody and apathetic and more tired. The timing of when this appeared matches with Effexor.

My endocrinologist suggest I go on birth control (I was prescribed low-dose Estrogen pill), but I don't take it because well, we'll say I resist treatment for my hormonal imbalance because of gender dysphoria. I'd rather suffer through low-estrogen and other hormonal imbalances than put any estrogen in my body.

I hope you find relief. An unpleasant period is the worst!

Started Lamictal

• Moderator Emeritus

I have a dreadful time with periods as well now, I don't use any hormones at all, it got so I dreaded being at work on those days of the month, especially if I was going to be out in a school or something. My doctor prescribed anti inflammatories, called tranexamic acid in the UK, and they have helped somewhat.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Moderator Emeritus

What am I doing here? :o

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

What am I doing here? :o

....Showing support? :)

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012

Your curiosity is showing.

Started Lamictal

• Moderator Emeritus

Narcissus are you traumatised now? :)

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• 1 year later...

I think I've noticed that my withdrawal symptoms get worse when pmsing or on my period. Is it just me or do others have that problem too?

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

18 months off as of March 2, 2016

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, this is very common.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I also have this problem. It is catastrophic, everyone suffers around me, I become a wreck. It's been improving as time goes by. But still get suicidal feelings and many horrible thoughts plus a flareup of WD symptoms. Now I can identify it's because of PMS and WD together, so I try to be more in control.

Does anyone have any advice to manage this? 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

I think I've noticed that my withdrawal symptoms get worse when pmsing or on my period. Is it just me or do others have that problem too?

I've got the same thing. PMS is longer too - 2 weeks before period starts. I'm a mess. Just want to sleep.

01/2006 Put on Prozac for anxiety and panic attacks 08/2008 Came off Zoloft after tapering don't remember taper, lost weight, felt like had cold constantly, very panicky, pain everywhere (misdiagnosed fibromyalgia), head funny.05/2010 put back on Zoloft03/2012 came completely off Zoloft followed Dr standard taper- no appetite, lost weight (0.5 stone), flu-like feelings constantly, pain everywhere, head funny, nausea, very panicky, very strong emotions etc Lost 1 stone.04/2013 improving. actually put on some weight and hungry most of the time. Still burning pain joints, stomach upset, headache/feel faint and emotions very strong. Chest very painful too.01/2014 improving still. Gained weight!! Still hungry. Still headache/feel faint and strong emotions and chest/shoulder muscles painful. Periods irregular and very painful. Very tired. Joints burn only if eat refined sugars. Started eating fruits again.03/2014 2 years off. Now intolerances developed to nuts and soya. Permanently hungry, Emotions strong but started healing psychological reasons I was put on antidepressants with therapist. Shoulder pain bad, heady often, very tired.06/2014 flu-like symptoms returned, many intolerances, stomach painful, skin crawling feeling, muscles painful, very emotional. :-((

09/2016 over 4.5 years off, no real changes in symptoms, still much pain, headiness, heart weird, digestion bad, hormones unbalanced, nausea yet very hungry, tired, flu like symptoms etc etc.

<p>taking - vit C, probiotics and digestive enzymesI have Aspergers Syndrome.

Cdav,

I have been having a tough time managing it myself. All I can do is try to get through it. I do meditate and do the things that relax me or watch things that are uplifting and make me laugh helps. Just distracting my mind. What I've been doing a lot is taking baths. I don't know what it is about water but I feels so healing to me. I light all my candles and put in relaxing music and just go into my own little world. Maybe try to distract yourself by doing things you enjoy and make you feel more centered. I've found baths help me a lot actually.

Dekiru,

Us girls have withdrawal way harder then because of our periods. Lol. Not fair!

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh yes, w/d plus hormones interacting, what a mess that makes.  As my dose has got lower I've had a lot of depression and tearfulness, sometimes just feel like crying all day for no real reason.  I've been taking vitex capsules which have really helped a lot.  It can take up to 3 months to feel improvement but I had some improvement after just one month and more in the second month.  When I feel grumpy, irritable, anxious, or tense and wound up (you know that feeling, it is hard to describe), I've found magnesium and vitamin B6 help a lot to take the edge off.  If it is really bad I use valerian tincture, which I find very calming.  Of course, responses to herbs and supplements varies between individuals, just saying what has helped me.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

For me, chamomile tea is a gift from God. Lol. Especially chamomile, lavender, lemon balm tea. Oh yeah, that takes the edge off too! I forgot to mention herbal teas to help with the exacerbated PMS.

Songbird,

What are vitex capsules and what do they do?

• Moderator Emeritus

The herb is vitex agnus-castus, sometimes called chasteberry.  I've just read up a bit more about it and apparently it affects dopamine so I guess we should be very careful with it!  Responses are very individual, it can make things worse for some people.  All I know is, I got to the stage of being depressed and crying for about half of each month, and vitex reduced all that stuff by about 90%.  I suspect I am in perimenopause and that combined with w/d is really doing a number on my hormones.  It's probably not good to be on it long-term and I hope I won't have any kind of dependence issues or w/d when I stop taking it, but for now I feel like it keeps me able to cope instead of being a blithering wreck.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

Thank you songbird for answering my question. :) Some people need to just not take supplements for a while until their CNS gets stronger and that's totally understandable. But for me I don't really believe in just waiting around suffering. Everyone is different and I believe some supplements will work for some and not others and it is all about finding what works for you. I have heard that a lot on this site. I just started taking rhodiola which is an adaptogen. It works on balancing blood sugars and adrenals as well as mood. It boosts all three neurotransmitters serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine. They all play a role on each other so it makes sense to me to not just focus on supporting one. I think that the SSRI messed with the serotonin receptors which threw the other nuerotransmitters out of whack too. So it makes sense to me to try something like this for support because otherwise I am a miserable wreck too. Now, I just started taking the rhodiola today and I've got to say I've noticed the difference within hours and have found that it was not too activating for me on a 100mg dose. Hopefully it continues to work for me and can take some edge off. If your CNS is strong enough to take supplements this might be beneficial to help with PMS and withdrawal. But as the site says start with a low dose if you are going to try something and just because it works for one doesn't mean it will be ok for another. I've found fish oil to be to activating for me lately but that is suppose to be a really great thing to take during withdrawal. :/ I am going to keep you guys informed on my rhodiola adventure.

Moonlitelotus, thank you for your advice on how to handle this. I'm going to try the herbal teas. I haven't been able to give up a cup of coffee everyday, and I think this is not helping. I also think it's not fair being a girl, hormones make such a mess! I hate 'em. It's probable that women suffer more WD symptoms because of this. 

Songbird, I might try Vitex and see how I react to it. Right now I started to try primrose oil, it's supposed to help with PMS and hormones in general. I've been on it two days. My period is due until two weeks, I'll see how it goes next week when PMS starts.  

Does anyone feel moody or depressed during ovulation too? Right now I'm having a bout of depression and it is coincidental with ovulation. So I think it might have something to do with it. 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I heard that evening primrose oil does great things for some people, so it is definitely worth a try.  I've tried it several times, but unfortunately it had no effect on me.

I heard that rhodiola could be quite stimulating so I don't think I'll risk that.  I gave up fish oil years ago, it was okay for a while but then it started to make me feel weirdly restless.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

So far rhodiola has been helping me out and isn't activating for me. This is only day two of taking it but I do notice within an hour or so that it is in effect. As I did more research on rhodiola I found that low doses can actually be activating and cause anxiety but research has found that higher doses can actually have a calming effect or make you sleepy. So far 100 mg seems to be good. But I read some people take up to 600 mg woah!! That's a lot. That happens with antidepressants too. Some people get anxiety on higher doses and do better on lower or vise versa. So it's about finding the right dose for your body. I feel 100mg was a good start. I was fearful too to try it because of others saying that it is too activating but so far I'm glad I did. We will see as I keep taking it. I'll volunteer as the guinea pig for this one. :)

I felt like the fish oil was actually giving me body zaps instead of preventing them. :/

I have now stopped having my period. I'm sure it's just yet another sign of the optimal health legacy left by Lexepro, Effexor, and Ativan. I just want to take a moment of gratitude, to say thank you to my psych... ;(

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Yeah my cycle is screwed up too... :/ My period seems to always be late now. But if I were you I would get my hormone levels checked in case that's not from withdrawal. I am getting mine checked as a precaution too.

• 5 years later...

Hi there - I suffer from mega waves for periods and ovulation. Literally 2-2.5 weeks of every month are just so challenging and I always feel like I stumble back to acute like symptoms. I’m dreading my period in 3 days! Also I’m 47 and perimenopausal. Does anyone have any hope and light to shine on this? Anything help? Does it eventually fade away? I swear it’s miserable! 

Avrgejane (47 year old female)

2015 - approx. 5-6 months on cipralex due to miscarriage stress, 10 mg, tapered over about 2-3 months successfully 

2017 - Approx. 8 months on cipralex due to miscarriage stress, 10 mg, tapered over about 3 months successfully 

Beginning of July 2017 - took approx 3 Ativan sublingual .5 and about 4 oxycodone for pain from miscarriage. 

Mid July 2017 - took 1/2 prozasin 2mg (1mg) and 1/4 zoplicone 5mg (1.25mg) for about 2-3 weeks but made me feel awful so I CT. 

August 2017 - 5 days of vaginal valium 10mg after pelvic floor pain after D&C. 

August 11, 2019 - prescribed amitriptyline for nerve pain in teeth, started at 12.5mg for a week, then 25mg for a week (panic attacks), increased to 50mg for 2 weeks (panic attacks), increased to 100mg for 4 days (panic attacks) followed by an extremely quick taper - 50mg for 3 days, 25mg for 3 days, 12.5mg for 3 days, 6mg for 2 days. Have not taken amitriptyline since Sept 30th, 2019. 

Took Clonazipam intermittently (14 in 40 days average .25-50 mg) from Aug 25-Oct 8, 2019. 
Currently taking 90mg natural desiccated thyroid. 

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 7 months later...

Original topic title(pre merging topics):  PMDD/Premenstrual depression and psychosis

There is a symptom of which i wonder if it is a withdrawal symptom. 

I have huge emotional distress before every menstruation. Sometimes just depression, sometimes fear and terror, sometimes genuine psychosis. I have had several premenstrual psychoses. I didnt have this before, but im not sure whether it is related to medication or trauma. I suspect both. 

Does anybody have this? What helped you? 

Edited by manymoretodays
added title

2011-2012 Adjustment disorder with anxiety. Oxazepam, seroquel. 

2012 Cold turkeyed both, psychosis

2012 Haldol, ativan

2013-2014 Efexor 

2014 Quick taper, psychosis 

2014-2016 Bad interaction with antibiotic (fluoroquinolone). On and off haldol many times, cold turkeyed.  

2016 Olanzapine

2016-2018 Back to haldol, slow taper without doc 2mg to 0.5mg

2018-2020 0.5mg haldol

Nov 2020 Stressrelated psychosis. Begin dec 2020 Ativan 10mg, half dec 0mg. Haldol begin dec 2.5mg. Jan haldol 1mg.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy