Jellyfish: Hallucinations after quitting antipsychotic

Jellyfish

Does this happen/is it possible?

I was first put on antipsychotics for banal reasons (walking on wrong side of the road, etc.). Ever since first giving up antipsychotics, I had terrible side effects which amounted to psychosis with hallucinations, when I never had hallucinations or anything similar before taking an antipsychotic. This started in 2016, since then I kept relapsing and being taken to hospital.

I would like to know why this happens? And what is the best way of getting off? I once tried tapering them over 6 months, but again hallucinations returned and then I am in no state to function normally.

Edited by manymoretodays

2016 olanzapine. Later in year olanzapine, fluphenazine dichloride OR risperidone

2017 risperidone (6 months off it, then withdrawal effects started - hallucinations)

2018 withdrawal effects (WE)

2019 WE until hospitalisation in April. April - olanzapine and fluphenazine dichloride. Tapering off July-Jan 2020.

Feb 2020 WE start again (after quitting drugs) until hospitalisation June.

June-Dec 2020 olanzapine (10 mg) and fluphenazine dichloride (5 mg)

Dec 2020-present Tapering off both drugs

• manymoretodays changed the title to Jellyfish: Hallucinations after quitting antipsychotic
  • Administrator

Welcome, Jellyfish.

Other than the hallucinations, do you have other symptoms after going off your drugs? What are the hallucinations like?

Yes, people can have symptoms that might be interpreted as psychotic from going off any type of psychiatric drug, no prior psychosis necessary.

What drugs were you taking? How did you go off?  How long have you been off the drugs?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...
Jellyfish
Posted (edited)

Titled:  Antipsychotics and sugar

Hello. I was wondering if you can eat sugar while tapering off antipsychotics, and after tapering off. I normally have one day a week when I can eat as much chocolate and similar as I like, but I try not to go overboard. I still eat a lot though. I am wondering if sugar with antipsychotics is a no-no, must you abstain completely? Any known effects when you mix the two? (Is it proven, or just what you suspect?) Does it mean that your quitting antipsychotics will be unsuccessful and the hallucinations (my withdrawal effects) will come back? It is extremely hard for me to go without sugar.

Thank you.

Edited by manymoretodays
added title, merged with main Introduction

2016 olanzapine. Later in year olanzapine, fluphenazine dichloride OR risperidone

2017 risperidone (6 months off it, then withdrawal effects started - hallucinations)

2019 WE until hospitalisation in April. April - olanzapine and fluphenazine dichloride. Tapering off July-Jan 2020.

• manymoretodays changed the title to Jellyfish: Antipsychotics and sugar
manymoretodays

Hi Jellyfish, and welcome aboard, @Jellyfish

I just moved your most recent post, here, to your Introduction.  Just one Introduction per member.

And you've just arrived too, so this is a very good spot for you to post questions, and updates, concerning your case.  Can you bookmark it?

As far as your recent question:

I wonder if your medication could be influencing your sugar cravings?  I know with me, when I was on some of my medications.......I just began to mindlessly eat sometimes, and had all kinds of cravings.  And then many of the AP's(antipsychotics) can lead to the development of a metabolic syndrome too, which I'd guess is related to sugar cravings too.

On 12/25/2020 at 1:28 PM, Altostrata said:

Welcome, Jellyfish.

Other than the hallucinations, do you have other symptoms after going off your drugs? What are the hallucinations like?

Yes, people can have symptoms that might be interpreted as psychotic from going off any type of psychiatric drug, no prior psychosis necessary.

What drugs were you taking? How did you go off?  How long have you been off the drugs?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

And then, if you would attend to the above, that would help us out.  Thank you.

Welcome again.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016. 

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider. manymoretodays

• Administrator
Altostrata

Hello, Jellyfish. Generally, it's not a good idea to overdo sugar at all.

manymoretodays brings up a good question, was this an effect of the drugs?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

On 12/25/2020 at 9:28 PM, Altostrata said:

Welcome, Jellyfish.

Other withdrawal effects are extreme tiredness and hallucinations, which is quite enough. Hallucinations for me are like vivid dreams during day. For me it was as if I was in a reality show with the panel judging me. I saw famous faces from real reality shows, so it wasn't made up in that respect. Once this lasted for more than a year, as during this time I didn't start taking medicine again. It was very exhausting but I remember the majority of it, which isn't the case during normal psychosis.

I was taking olanzapine and fluphenazine dichloride (older drug) mostly, a few times I was put on risperidone. Every time I either quit cold turkey or, as pertains to the last couple of times, I slowly diminished the drugs, this took 6 months at most though. I am still taking olanzapine and fluphenazine dichloride.

On 1/11/2021 at 2:35 AM, Altostrata said:

Hello, Jellyfish. Generally, it's not a good idea to overdo sugar at all.

manymoretodays brings up a good question, was this an effect of the drugs?

I usually don't have sugar cravings as strong as when I take medicine. When I do, it is very hard to resist. That is why I am asking, how bad is it to have a day a week when you can eat sugar and abstain the rest of the time? What are the negative effects of this combination (APs and sugar)? Do you think it can make tapering off less, or unsuccessful?

I also came across "reinstatement" on this forum. Can I reinstate the minimal dose of APs after being medicine-free for a little over a month, if tapering off was unsuccessful? Or do I have to go back to the original dose? (That's usually how long it takes for me to get hallucinations after quitting medicine, so I would have to wait that long to see if I am ok.)

And after that, do you suggest just tapering off (the minimal dose or otherwise) more slowly?

• Administrator

Jellyfish, we need to know what you're taking, when you started, what dosage, etc.

If you're still taking an antipsychotic, the effect of the drug may be making you crave sugar. About overdoing sugar, the answer is the less you eat, the better. Sugar is not good for you, even binged only once a week. If you have further questions about this, I suggest you join a forum for pre-diabetes, diabetes, or weight gain from antipsychotics, they'll have more detailed information for you.

17 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Jellyfish, we need to know what you're taking, when you started, what dosage, etc.

If you're still taking an antipsychotic, the effect of the drug may be making you crave sugar. About overdoing sugar, the answer is the less you eat, the better. Sugar is not good for you, even binged only once a week. If you have further questions about this, I suggest you join a forum for pre-diabetes, diabetes, or weight gain from antipsychotics, they'll have more detailed information for you.

Hello. Could you now answer the questions about reinstatement? (I hope the sig. is ok.)

Thank you for letting me know about sugar.

• Administrator

How are you tapering the 2 drugs? How much are your taking of each now?

Are you getting withdrawal symptoms? If so, I would stop tapering for now. We prefer people taper only one drug at a time, so they know where any withdrawal symptoms are coming from.

As you're in the middle of tapering, we can't really discuss reinstatement. The idea is to taper gradually enough that you don't need to rescue yourself with reinstatement. If you've thinking of simply quitting in the middle of your taper, that isn't a good idea. Even reinstatement might not reverse withdrawal from 2 drugs.