Warning others

Marian

Im currently in a ward. People are being tempted, pressured and sometimes forced into the use of meds. 

Also a friend gives her autistic + add daughter Ritalin. 

If you were me, would you talk to others about the dark sides of meds? How? 

When someone is a kid or is being pressured especially, i feel like protecting them. But maybe it is none of my business and i cant really judge their situation. 

2011-2012 Adjustment disorder with anxiety. Oxazepam, seroquel. 

2012 Cold turkeyed both, psychosis

2012 Haldol, ativan

2013-2014 Efexor 

2014 Quick taper, psychosis 

2014-2016 Bad interaction with antibiotic (fluoroquinolone). On and off haldol many times, cold turkeyed.  

2016 Olanzapine

2016-2018 Back to haldol, slow taper without doc 2mg to 0.5mg

2018-2020 0.5mg haldol

Nov 2020 Stressrelated psychosis. Begin dec 2020 Ativan 10mg, half dec 0mg. Haldol begin dec 2.5mg. Jan haldol 1mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

I am very cautious about who I speak to about the bad side of psychiatric drugs.  It depends who it is and how much time I have to explain things to them.

Sometimes we don't get very much time to speak to a person so I try to get the key things in, my experience, withdrawal, website name, tapering slowly.  So I mention that I have tried to stop my drug too quickly and experienced withdrawal symptoms and found a website called surviving antidepressants and I'm tapering my drug slowly.  That way they are more aware that withdrawal symptoms can happen and they know that there is a place on the internet which can help.

Other things that you could mention are:    do your own research before starting a drug and check side effects, drug interactions and about how to get off the drug

I really do try to stress withdrawal because before I had my own experience with it I did not know about it at all.  Because I was feeling bad on the drug (before I tried to reduce it) I had been searching for side effects so didn't get any search results for withdrawal.

I hope that helps.

NEW!!!     INTERVIEW with Altostrata, SA's founder    NEW!!! 

REMINDER TO SELF:  I don't need the drug now, but my still brain does.

Current from 9 Jan 2021:  Pristiq 0.405 mg

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering Oct 2015 

My tapering program   My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)  My website

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

Thanks. That helps a lot. I indeed think withdrawal is important to mention. Even a lot of the nurses here dont seem to (want to) see that. And a lady was telling me she got more depressed than ever after quitting meds, so it was a bad idea to stop. I quickly mentioned withdrawal. She was never told about it. 

2011-2012 Adjustment disorder with anxiety. Oxazepam, seroquel. 

2012 Cold turkeyed both, psychosis

2012 Haldol, ativan

2013-2014 Efexor 

2014 Quick taper, psychosis 

2014-2016 Bad interaction with antibiotic (fluoroquinolone). On and off haldol many times, cold turkeyed.  

2016 Olanzapine

2016-2018 Back to haldol, slow taper without doc 2mg to 0.5mg

2018-2020 0.5mg haldol

Nov 2020 Stressrelated psychosis. Begin dec 2020 Ativan 10mg, half dec 0mg. Haldol begin dec 2.5mg. Jan haldol 1mg.