Sydal: Coming Of sertraline

Sydal

Hi guys I’m trying to reduce my dose of sertraline from 100mg to 50mg. I’m hoping to get some advise. Thankyou for reading. I will post in the tapering of section. 

Regards

alan 

Sertraline 100mg Aug 19-present

aiming for slow taper 

• manymoretodays changed the title to Sydal: Coming Of sertraline
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sydal,

And welcome.

This forum is a great place for you to start out.

Please summarize your withdrawal history in your signature

you'll see this below other members topics, and it gives us a context for your situation, wherever you post.  The link ^ explains what we like to see there, and then how to do one.

How have you been trying to reduce your sertraline so far?

We take a harm reduction approach to tapering.

This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions here regarding your tapering, give updates, and just keep a record of your journey.

Welcome again.
Love, peace, healing, and growth,
moderator manymoretodays(mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Where exactly do I find my signature and I will add details. 

Ive been on 100mg sertraline for 18 months. I spoke to doctor about reducing to 50mg. My doctor advised me to take 100 then 50 on alternating days for a month then just stay on 50. The only side effects that I had was extreme diarrhea. When I say only it literally was killing me.  My stomach was in pieces. And being in work was not fun. So then I tried 100 and 75 alternate days. This also was not good .  So with seeing no other alternative I went back on 100mg.  It’s been a week   Back on 100 and thankfully things are back to normal.  So I think what I’m going to do is stay on 100 to let things totaly stabilise. Then try again but doing the 10% reduction. Over a long period. 

Any feedback greatly appreciated 

al 

aiming for slow taper 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sydal,

Just click on the link:  https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/18343-please-summarize-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

And you see the instructions, as to what we like to see, and then another link that will take you to your AccountSettings and signature.

Below, same link, you just click on the arrow at the upper right.  Then once you have done your signature, do click SAVE, and it will show up below your posts.

We are not fans of alternating dose, or 50% reductions.  

And again:  Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

And then:  Never Skip Doses to Taper

this one ^ even has some research articles that you might show to your doctor

And that's great Sydal, that you feel back to stability, or near stability again now, or that things are back to normal.  I agree, yes, a good HOLD period might be best, before tapering again.

And then, when you feel ready, or if you would like to do your next taper, 10% off of a 100 mg dose would be 90 mg only.

Good idea now, to read through some of the links, and make a plan for when you commence tapering again.

Would you like to ever taper further, than to just 50 mg of sertraline?  And why or why not?

Are you on any other medications now?

And below, some more information for you to look at.  I think that ultimately the hope is, that with very gradual reductions, and judicious tapers, that hopefully most can continue functioning very well, while coming off medications.  But.......you'll get a better idea from some of the below, what we often see here, happening.

And my fingers are crossed, hopes are with you, that you continue to do real well now.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur. And sleep is really important during withdrawal, and in general.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system.  

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions here regarding your tapering, give updates, and just keep a record of your journey.

And best, L, P, H, and G,
mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi

Thank you so much for your reply. 

At the minute I’m concentrating on a slow taper to get to 50mg. When I get to 50mg I will be more than happy to stay on that dose maybe for a year or two and see how it goes. 

Interesting that you mention supplements. Due to The covid outbreak I started taking vit c vit d and a probiotic in tablet form. Do you think this is a bad thing to be doing. If anyone could shed any kind of light on this it would be very much appreciated. I have also been taking an enzyme supplement to help with digestive problems. 

Thankyou 

al 

aiming for slow taper