KatyG: benzo withdrawal, clomipramine, and duloxetine

KatyG

Hi there I’m new to the group was kept on benzos for over a  year been off them 11 months (temazepam, diazepam snd lorazepam) horrific horrific withdrawals was on clomipramine for over a year been off it a few weeks when I came from 20mg to zero over 4 days (on advice of pscy) my brain went totally weird two sets of hideous withdrawals severe anhedonia loss of sense of self, personality, consciousness takeover, severe disconnect from self and past memories DR/DP no feelings of love or joy or hope or happiness was so suicidal they put me on duluxotene was on it 9 days made me feel worse came off it- my brain is absolutelu fried have also tried over the last months for sleeping melatonin, night nurse, herbal Nitol, ashwaganda, I feel so weird and disconnected ever single second it freaks me out will I ever return to normal ? Please send hope thanks 

Edited by manymoretodays

Dec 2018 -May 2019 diazepam Dec 2018-Jan 2018 clomipramine gave me serotonin syndrome burning blood came off ASAP Jan-May 2019 temazepam Feb-May 2019 tried me on mitrazapine gave me akathesia, trazadone quitiapene then pregablin, all  May 2019- Feb 2020 lorazepam May 2019-Oct 2020 clomipramine Oct 2020 4 days on amitryptalineJan 2021 9 days on duloxetine came off Jan 2021 4 days on Prozac May 2021 two weeks on lamotrogine came off horrific 

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome @KatyG

I'm sorry to hear how you're feeling. You will return to normal, it might just take some time. How long it takes varies between people.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Would you mind writing a signature? We ask all members to do this. That way we get the most important information so we can better help you. Here's how to do it:

How to write a signature

Trying new drugs and supplements can make symptoms worse, which is why we don't usually recommend many changes in that aspect while going through this. The only two supplements we recommend are omega-3 and magnesium. Some people find them helpful. Just make sure to start with one thing at a time and at a low dose if you should want to try them.

Omega-3

Magneisum

To get through this it's important for many to learn coping methods. Some of them won't work right away. The important thing I think is to start learning them and learn to accept very slow and gradual progress. There are many topics on here that can help with this. I will link a few of them. I would recommend collecting the things that you find valuable, so you have them as your own set of tools. 
This can sometimes be helpful in coping with the problems that made us go on drugs in the first place too. Some of the topics below has several very helpful posts, not just the first one. 

Neuro-emotions

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Things to do along the way

It can be a lot of information to take in so please see this as a reference that you can read at your own pace, rather than something you have to get through right away. The first step is to create a signature.

Take care and please let us know how you're doing.

2011-2015: Escitalopram (Cipralex) 20 mg, Voxra 300 mg (quit Voxra in late 2015, no issues)

2016: Started tapering Escitalopram 5 mg at a time, every fourth week

July 24th, 2016: Escitalopram 5 mg

April 2nd, 2017: Quit last dosage (WD worsened a lot)

Ca 6 last months of 2017: Taking Diazepam 15-25 mg irregularly, less than once a month

Ca Dec 2017: Out of Diazepam, i.e free from all prescribed drugs

Now: Still drug free

Supplements: Irregular intake of Omega-3, magnesium, vitamin D.

• manymoretodays changed the title to KatyG: benzo, clomipramine and duloxetine
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi KatyG,

Welcome.  And sending hope.  Bucketsful.  Sounds like you have really struggling right now.

How did you come off the benzo's?

So you just came off the clomipramine 3 weeks ago?

Why were you put on that?

And why the duloxetine?

You noted the duloxetine made you feel worse.

Did the clomipramine help at all?  Or how did it make you feel.

Do give a try at doing the signature.  You'll find more information on that, in the link that Sunnday gave you.

It's different from what you might have put in already, in your profile, on registration. 

It will help us to see the time frames, and also will keep things in context, wherever you post on the site.

It's the section that you'll see below other members topics.

For right now, try and go easy with the supplements too:

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, and diet

As most of us are more sensitive to substances in withdrawal.  The only 2 that we recommend are:

BASIC SUPPLEMENT TOOLKIT

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Many members find these to be calming.  Do just try one new thing at a time, and start low in dose, so you can know what helps and then also what might hinder, as you heal.

We generally use a harm reduction method of getting off psych medication:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

And okay, more hope and healing sent your way.

Please let us know how you are doing, thank you.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• manymoretodays changed the title to KatyG: benzo withdrawal, clomipramine, and duloxetine
  • 6 months later...

Hi there been off benzos 17 months off clomipramine 10 months tried dulexetine for 9 days over Xmas and Prozac for 4 days awful off all meds then lamotrogine for 2 weeks in May was so bad came off it been off 2 months now severe dissociative amnesia no emotional connection to people events places from my past feels like someone else’s life completely it’s causing me huge distress ever second severe constriction over body, no feelings or love or joy or hope or happiness living as this antithesis of myself no sense of identity it’s 24/7 horrific please help me thanks.  

Dec 2018 -May 2019 diazepam Dec 2018-Jan 2018 clomipramine gave me serotonin syndrome burning blood came off ASAP Jan-May 2019 temazepam Feb-May 2019 tried me on mitrazapine gave me akathesia, trazadone quitiapene then pregablin, all  May 2019- Feb 2020 lorazepam May 2019-Oct 2020 clomipramine Oct 2020 4 days on amitryptalineJan 2021 9 days on duloxetine came off Jan 2021 4 days on Prozac May 2021 two weeks on lamotrogine came off horrific 

• Administrator

Hello, @KatyG

I merged your new post with your Introductions topic.

It sounds like you had bad benzo withdrawal, then was on clomipramine for almost a year and had withdrawal syndrome from that? The last time you took a psychiatric drug was in May?

Emotional anesthesia is common in all kinds of psychiatric drug withdrawal syndrome. Even people who did not have withdrawal symptoms can feel this for a long time after going off the drugs -- it reflects the ways the drugs change your nervous system. Your system will very gradually go back to normal over many months. In your case, this recovery period started in May.

Other than emotional anesthesia, do you have any other withdrawal symptoms? How's your sleep?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi there yes terrible withdrawals from benzos and clomipramine last psych med was two weeks in May lamotrogine other withdrawal symptoms severe DPDR anhedonia looping ocd negative thoughts disassociative amnesia loss of sense of self and identity no feelings of love or hope or intuition suicidal thoughts desperation  no concentration for anything loss of interest in everything and everyone no memories of past life, sleep actually ok please help ....  

• Administrator

Emotional anesthesia can be very distressing, but if that's the only post-drug effect you feel, you are fortunate. 

You will need to be patient and allow your nervous system to recover over time, which can be months. Be sure to eat healthy food, fresh fruits and vegetables, minimize sugar, no alcohol, and get as much gentle exercise as you can tolerate. These will help your nervous system to heal.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Mentor

Hey @KatyGI'm glad you found your password to the SA account like we talked on Instagram.

Please follow the advice of the moderators here!

- Escitalopram 10mg from ages 15 - 21

- Severe crash after 4 month taper to 0

- Reinstated, stabilized, slowly tapering.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.