Hhiraeth: Tapering Lamotrigene

Hhiraeth

I'm just now considering tapering off of Lamotrigene and found this site. I'm taking 400 mgs of Lamotrigene (2-200mgs) nightly. I have arachnoiditis. Some of the symptoms are: akathesia, sound sensitivity, ruminating all night, burning and tingling in arms and legs. (Have to go.) Any suggestions?

Edited by manymoretodays
added title, moved to Intros
  • Lamotrigine 400 mgs nightly for Akathisia
  • BP
  • BP
  • Allopurinol
  • Low dose aspirin
  • Xanex quit July 2020 > or < for ruminating
  • Diazapam quit October 2020 for pain
  • Update pending 
  • manymoretodays changed the title to Hhiraeth: Tapering Lamotrigene
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Hhiraeth

Which of your symptoms are from taking lamotrigine, do you think? What times of day do you take lamotrigine? Are the symptoms worse at any particular times of day?

FYI Tips for tapering off lamotrigine (Lamictal)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The source of my symptoms haven't been diagnosed. I'm pretty sure they're from Lamotrigene. I was on xanex till 6 months ago. I was also taking diazapam as needed up until October. I no longer take those. I've had  my symptoms since around 2003. The sensitivity to sound is new; about a year. I take 400 mgs at night and all of my symptoms are worse at night. I just tried to shave a few mgs off of one of my tablets. I don't think that is going to work. Can Lamotrigene be suspended in a fluid? I need to learn a lot I think.

• BP
  • BP
  • Allopurinol
  • Low dose aspirin
  • Update pending 
  • Administrator

When did you start taking lamotrigine? Why are you taking 400mg all at night? Is it an extended-release version?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from lamotrigine.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Okay, I'm going to gather all of this information. I'll do that and put it in my signature, it will take awhile. In the meantime I won't try to change anything. Thanks for replying so quickly.

• BP
  • BP
  • Allopurinol
  • Low dose aspirin
  • Update pending 

I've ordered a ceramic mortis and pestle and 10mgs oral syringes. I plan on tapering 400 mgs of Lamotrigene by10 mgs per month.

• BP
  • BP
  • Allopurinol
  • Low dose aspirin
  • Update pending 
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

@Hhiraeth , I need this information to see if your symptoms are from taking lamotrigine or something else:

On 1/1/2021 at 1:56 PM, Altostrata said:

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from lamotrigine.

What happened after you went off Xanax? Off diazepam?

I've started to taper off of lamotrigine January 10 2021. I don't have records yet as to when I started (approximately 2 years ago). I will look for that. I'm tapering at 2 mgs per week. I am taking 394 mgs as of January 17, 21. I'm not feeling any different (no noticeable side affects. I am keeping a log which I will copy here later. Thanks for checking on me. Tapering 2 mgs per week from 400 mgs will take close to 4 years. I had an appointment with my doctor just prior to January 10th and he is on board. My next appointment is April 13th. I didn't notice any symptoms quitting sands and my doctor put me back on class pan as needed while I'm tapering off lamotrigine.

• BP
  • BP
  • Allopurinol
  • Low dose aspirin
  • Update pending