Essy: Went off escitolopram too fast

Essy

I whoopsed and I need advice. 

Have been on escitolopram for about year. 20 mg/day. Have been on & off other antidepressants (Paxil, Zoloft) throughout life. This is first time on lexapro. Doc initially put me on Zoloft as it had been good before, but I reacted very badly to it. 

In the past I have “accidentally” weaned - forgotten to take more & more often then just stopped, without issue.

I thought that’s where I was at with lexapro (and am in a new relationship and noticing that being off for a couple of days really improves sex experience. This is important to me, having previously decided I was fine with never having a relationship or sex ever again!). So I just stopped, after a couple of weeks of on & off forgetting. I’d miss a day or two, get back on track, repeat. It has now been I think 11 days since last dose. 

Now experiencing withdrawal symptoms, physical (a little twitchy, tired, heart feels weird) and emotional (irritability, weepiness, frustration, thinking I’m ruining everything ), and researching how to go back on lexapro for a bit and be more careful with tapering. 

Before I found this forum I went ahead and took a half-pill (10mg) this morning. 

What’s the right way to handle this?

Edited by Shep
added username to title

jan/19 - Dec 21/20 escitolopram  20mg. forgetful on & off then went off CT Dec 21/20.

Started back on 10 mg Jan 1/21

Historical: on & off paxil and Zoloft throughout adult life.

Other: hydrochlorothiazide for blood pressure

• Shep changed the title to Essy: Went off escitolopram too fast
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Essy.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

Here is some information on withdrawal to get you started: 

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

On 1/1/2021 at 7:19 PM, Essy said:

It has now been I think 11 days since last dose. 

Now experiencing withdrawal symptoms, physical (a little twitchy, tired, heart feels weird) and emotional (irritability, weepiness, frustration, thinking I’m ruining everything ), and researching how to go back on lexapro for a bit and be more careful with tapering. 

Before I found this forum I went ahead and took a half-pill (10mg) this morning. 

You may not even need 10 mg. Lexapro is an extremely potent drug. 

Please read through this thread on reinstatement: 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

How do you feel on 10 mg? Did the withdrawal symptoms start to resolve? 

Thank you! Awaiting answers I have continued to take 10mg a day, and it does seem to have already eased withdrawal.  

I will peruse the links. Wondering if I should try 5 mg today. The pills don't cut easily, will have to figure that out. 

jan/19 - Dec 21/20 escitolopram  20mg. forgetful on & off then went off CT Dec 21/20.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Essy,

And welcome.

On 1/3/2021 at 3:42 PM, Shep said:

How do you feel on 10 mg? Did the withdrawal symptoms start to resolve? 

What symptoms eased?  You had mentioned some.

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

When did you go CT off the 20 mg?

When did you start the 10 mg dose?

Can you add this information to your signature?

Just go to Accounts Settings/signature and add in the dates and doses, including the CT(cold turkey).  Be sure and hit the Save button when done.  This can be so helpful to see at a glance.

Are you able to get a prescription from your doctor?  Lexapro comes in a liquid, as well as varying dosages in pill form too.  You'll see more about that in the tapering topic that Shep gave you.

And then what are you taking now?  Have you stuck with the 10 mg dose, or gone lower?

And how are you doing?

Are you on any other medications/drugs right now?

And best, Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Went CT Dec 21 2020 after a period of on & off forgetting to take.

Went back on 10 mg per day Jan 1/21 and have continued. Doing so seemed to ease all the withdrawal symptoms (weepiness, doom thoughts, irritability, twitchyness, weird heart feelings) except fatigue but that may have other causes. 

I could try to get a prescription for lower doses or liquid from doctor but I have quite a lot of the 20 mg left, and pay fully out of pocket for meds, so not keen to do that if avoidable. 

Other meds: hydrochlorothiazide for high blood pressure 

Updated signature. Will read more from links.

• Moderator Emeritus
19 hours ago, Essy said:

Other meds: hydrochlorothiazide for high blood pressure 

Please note the "moderate" drug interaction between escitalopram and hydrochlorothiazide.

Drug Interaction hypdrochlorothiazide and escitalopram

Interactions between your drugs

Moderate

hydroCHLOROthiazide  escitalopram

Applies to: hydrochlorothiazide, Lexapro (escitalopram)

Treatment with escitalopram may occasionally cause blood sodium levels to get too low, a condition known as hyponatremia, and using it with hydroCHLOROthiazide can increase that risk. You should seek medical attention if you experience nauseavomitingheadachelethargy, irritability, difficulty concentrating, memory impairment, confusion, muscle spasm, weakness or unsteadiness, as these may be symptoms of hyponatremia. More severe cases may lead to hallucination, fainting, seizure, coma, and even death. Escitalopram can also affect your blood pressure and heart rate. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring of your blood pressure and pulse to safely use both medications. You should avoid rising abruptly from a sitting or lying position while taking these medications, especially at the beginning of treatment or after an increase in dose. Call your doctor if you experience dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, or a rapid heart beat. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

We recommend taking drugs that interact at least two hours apart to help lesson drug interactions. 

What time(s) of the day do you take your drugs?